HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

When higgins comes back

Old
10-12-2008, 09:23 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolt View Post
point is if higgins gets under 30 goals imo it wud be a disappointment and i think many wud agree
For me, 25-30 is acceptable.

Anything less would require justification

Old
10-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Rgolt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
For me, 25-30 is acceptable.

Anything less would require justification
anything less than 25 would need ALOT ALOT of justification because i see soooo much potential in him

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:37 PM
TCIH

Hopefully when Higgins comes back, Latendresse keeps his spot as Koivu's winger and Higgins is slotted in as the 1st line* LW with Lang and Sergei.

*By calling that line the 1st line, I make sure it doesn't seem like I'm brushing Higgins off into a lesser role, so that no feelings are hurt.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityIsHockey View Post
Hopefully when Higgins comes back, Latendresse keeps his spot as Koivu's winger and Higgins is slotted in as the 1st line* LW with Lang and Sergei.

*By calling that line the 1st line, I make sure it doesn't seem like I'm brushing Higgins off into a lesser role, so that no feelings are hurt.
but no one would actually believe its the 1st line including higgins also i dont think the real 1st and 2nd line would like that

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:03 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
anything less than 25 would need ALOT ALOT of justification because i see soooo much potential in him
Well... maybe a couple of people tend to overate him. He is a very good player, but I don't think he has the potential to be dominant. He'll get his share of goals, but his in no way a superstar. I agree with Chezz. Between 25 and 30 goals is just what I expect from him year in and year out.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
even on the 3rd line i would put him on the RW and leave Skost on the LW
Sergei seems like a natural RW to me.... Much like his brother i think both are RWs....

All three of his points last night he was on the right side of the ice.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Sergei seems like a natural RW to me.... Much like his brother i think both are RWs....

All three of his points last night he was on the right side of the ice.
Other than this sample, what else do you base yourself on? He was the LW on the Kane, Gagner line. He can play both wings equally well and I haven't seen any difference in his game wether he was on the right or left. I think people are looking way too much into this RW-LW business. I could understand a guy like Kovalev who made a whole career out of it, but this isn't the case, especially not for Sergei.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
Other than this sample, what else do you base yourself on? He was the LW on the Kane, Gagner line. He can play both wings equally well and I haven't seen any difference in his game wether he was on the right or left. I think people are looking way too much into this RW-LW business. I could understand a guy like Kovalev who made a whole career out of it, but this isn't the case, especially not for Sergei.
I base it on a number of passes he made last year from the RW position on the half boards.... He looks like a poor mans kovalev in that spot with the LH shot.

I also base it on his play on the Higgins-Koivu-SKost line last year when he replaced Ryder... he's looked very comfortable on that side

I think he can play both LW and RW, but to me he is a hair better on the RW side.

Either way if you are gonna put Higgins and Sergei on the same line, in my mind its quite obvious that Higgins is much worse moving to the Right side than Sergei is.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Habruti!

The way that S.Kost as been playing the first two game, a line made of Higgins, Lang and S.Kost would certainly have the potential to outscore our so called first and second line. I for one would realy love to see Higgins with someone else then Koivu. I think he would take more responsabilities.

Just my 2 cents.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
its not exactly a demotion for him to be on the third line. We have lines 1a, 1b, 1c. Koivu and Lats seem to play well together.

I also think that Higgins' ideal spot is a 3rd liner. He would be a great shutdown guy that can also chip in offensively.

No matter where he plays we still have 3 great lines, i dont think it matters much.
A 3rd liner who scored 27 goals last year?

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I base it on a number of passes he made last year from the RW position on the half boards.... He looks like a poor mans kovalev in that spot with the LH shot.

I also base it on his play on the Higgins-Koivu-SKost line last year when he replaced Ryder... he's looked very comfortable on that side

I think he can play both LW and RW, but to me he is a hair better on the RW side.

Either way if you are gonna put Higgins and Sergei on the same line, in my mind its quite obvious that Higgins is much worse moving to the Right side than Sergei is.
It doesn't really matter anyways, he can play both well and simply adapt to what the situation needs.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:46 PM
Hudson Boy

Higgins will join Koivu. S. Kostitsyn is a diamond in the rough. He will make a third or fourth line dangerous.

Hudson Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
It doesn't really matter anyways, he can play both well and simply adapt to what the situation needs.
Agreed... and his ability to play both is the reason i definetely put him on the Right and Higgins on the left if they are to play together. Higgins hasn't shown the same ability to play on the right (granted he hasn't been given much chance to either)...

but why mess with it...
we know higgins can play left... he is an unknown on the right
we know sergei can play either

Simple logic.... Higgins on the left... sergei on the right.

Old
10-13-2008, 01:58 AM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I've been saying since we got Lang that I wanted Higgs with Lang and Sergei, and last night's performance by the Koivu line seems to have convinced lots of people of that too.

I think how Lats-Koivu-Tangs does tomorrow will be a key factor since Higgins seems to be on track for a Wednesday return.

I have to agreed with this. Higgins will replace Kostopoulos fairly enough and the two "quebecois" will be able to play together with Captain K.

My only concern is that Higgins will probably miss 1000 chances that Sergei will give him... Hopefully, he grinds in corners and gives the puck to Lang or Sergei. The real sniper on this line is Lang, no doubt. Higgins job will be to forecheck hard, grind in the corners and be the first to backcheck.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 02:06 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
I have to agreed with this. Higgins will replace Kostopoulos fairly enough and the two "quebecois" will be able to play together with Captain K.

My only concern is that Higgins will probably miss 1000 chances that Sergei will give him... Hopefully, he grinds in corners and gives the puck to Lang or Sergei. The real sniper on this line is Lang, no doubt. Higgins job will be to forecheck hard, grind in the corners and be the first to backcheck.
I'm still kinda hoping we see a

Higgins - Chipchura - Sergei

line at some point....

Cause i think it would be funny and your head might explode.
-------------------------------------------------------------

As far as this post goes... Higgins is gonna shoot the puck.. he was second on the team in shots last year for a reason... thats what he does... he shoots... and thats not a bad thing. I think the rest of what you said is true though... his job on the line will be to forecheck and work the boards on the line and also be defensively responsible.

When Lang and Sergei have the puck though... I want him getting open for chances.

For as many chances as he missed... he still scored 27 goals last year....

Thats pretty good.

Old
10-13-2008, 02:36 AM
zx81

Personally I would let Lats on Koivu's line but anyway I don't think Carbs can really go wrong with his decision.

Playing with Lang and S. Kost is not what we can really call a demotion

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 02:39 AM
OneSharpMarble

Higgins has a better shot than Lats, he plays with Koivu on the 2nd line. Lats should be down on the 3rd line. We have so much depth now that S. Kost is on the 3rd line when he is top 2 line material.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 07:08 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Higgins has a better shot than Lats, he plays with Koivu on the 2nd line. Lats should be down on the 3rd line. We have so much depth now that S. Kost is on the 3rd line when he is top 2 line material.
Latendresse has a better shot. He just hasn't adjusted it to NHL speed yet.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 07:58 AM
Maximus Taylor

Quote:
heck no. Higgins is a superb player, but he doesn't have a better shot than Lats.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Plain, blueberry or chocolate chip?
Chocolate chip? That's just downright silly.

Blueberry. Always blueberry.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:24 AM
JrHockeyFan

I like the way Lats is playing but i really don't see a fit with Koivu and Tanguay. Using the current roster plus Higgins and BGL

Higgins/koivu/Tanguay
AKost/Pleks/kovy
Lats/Lang/SKost
TKost/Laps/BGL

Man it will be great to roll those first three lines all night long until we bury the opponents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob De Funes View Post
heck no. Higgins is a superb player, but he doesn't have a better shot than Lats.
Hmmm. Can't say I ever thought of Lats as a guy with a great shot. I'll just leave iot at that

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Actually I would say that Lats has a better shot than Higgins. But Higgins release is faster and he's able to get into a shooting lane better than Lats.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-13-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:33 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

We should trade him.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
do u think all 3 injured players will be ready for the home opener
I ain't the trainer, but the media has been saying all 3 will be.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:43 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
We should trade him.
I disagree...

Bob took several years to build up the chemistry the way it is at the moment and Higgins is an integral part of it.

So I'd hold off on trading him for awhile if ever