HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden Appreciation Thread

Old
10-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
Madison Square Garden Appreciation Thread

OK I'm psyched about tonight's game, and it's gotten me to thinking about some special times at the Garden over the years. We know the building isn't great, the walk-ways bring too many people in front of you during the action, you can't see the near goal from behind the net in the 'green' sections, yada yada yada.

Who cares, it's our home and I love it.

Here are some of my favorite moments over the years, in no particular order. Some of these happened when I was little and my dad brought me, so I hope my memory matches reality! These are only what I've witnessed in person.

1. Nylander scoring something like 30 seconds into game three of the 2007 Atlanta series. Wow that was wild.

2. Mike Richter's performance in the 1994 all-star game. Did he stop Pavel Bure on a breakaway or a penalty shot? I forget.

3. During a PK late in a game where we were up by one, Richter is standing on his head. Or perhaps it was Beezer. Don't even remember who we were playing, but I do remember the place is going nuts chanting the goalie's name and 'Defense'. Save after save, then Darren Turcotte finally comes out of the box and the place is even louder. Turc gets a head-man pass, comes skating in on a breakaway a hundred miles an hour, and beats the goalie on the backhand. The place explodes so loud, I thought the roof was going to fly off.

4. During the national anthem of playoff games I used to like to scream in my brother's ear, with my mouth like one inch from his ear, and he couldn't hear me because the crowd was so loud. It was our running joke year after year. You would see John Amirante's lips moving but not hear the words at all.

5. Bob Brooke scoring in OT in 1986 game four against the Caps, sending the series back to Washington 2-2.

6. 1990, Bernie Nicholls scoring the first goal of game one against the Islanders.

7. Same game, James Patrick leveling Lafontaine as he skated throught the zone with his head down. Patrick threw one body check his whole life and he almost killed the guy.

8. Same series, game five. We're up 3 games to 1 and 5-1 in the game, but the Islanders score two quick ones and all of a sudden the ghosts of the 1980's playoff series are starting to rustle. But right after the 5-3 goal Mike Gartner comes screaming down right wing, beats Glen Healy with a slapshot, and we can all breathe again.

9. Wayne Gretzky's last game.

10. Rozsival scoring in double OT in game three against the Sabres 2007, getting us back into the series.

11. 2006, the Devils sweep us in four straight. It's a humiliating series, Ozolinsh scoring in his own net, Hank is hurt or playing terribly, not sure, Jagr hurts himself trying to puch a Devil in game one. All this after the promise of our first playoff series since 1997. But during and after the handshake the crowd gives the Rangers a long and loud ovation, thanking them for bringing us back to the playoffs. Class.

12. Brian Leetch's speech at his retirement cermony last winter, and the announcement Adam Graves's number will be retired as well.

13. Sweet Caroline. Never gets old.

14. The center-ice salute too. Thanks Jaromir.

15. Chanting 'Last Place' at the Islanders, when they first stopped being great. Seems redundant now, but back then it was a great chant.

16. Seeing Mark Messier on the ice for the first time in 1991, and knowing we were finally going to be OK.

17. I eventually grew to dislike him, but watching Tie Domi take on all the heavyweights in the league when he first came up. And all of his stupid histrionics after the fights, which were fun at the time.

18. Granato, Weight, Leetch, Amonte, and the rest of the youngsters coming up at the same time and energizing the team with their speed and aggressiveness. They were young, I was really young, it was awesome. Hopefully this new crew does the same thing. But wins.

19. Last game of the 1990 regular season. We knew we were playing the Islanders in the first round, everyone was pumped about that, this last game didn't matter. But it was the night of the Steven McDonald Extra Effort award, when they would wheel Steven onto the ice. Back then it was even a lot more emotional than it is now, it was still so new, and our hero looked in so much pain. But it was always great to see him on the ice, and hear the crowd cheering for him.

This was like the third year of the award, and prior to that they'd bring Steven and his family out, he'd take a picture with the award winner, and that was it. But this time when they brought him out they announced Steven was going to address the crowd. We were amazed, Steven was going to announce the winner!

They set the mike up in front of him, and the place grows silent. He finally starts speaking, but he talks one word at a time, taking a long, slow breath between each word. It's difficult to watch and listen to, but obviously Steven wanted to speak. He says "I...just...want...to...say...one...thing". It took about a minute and a half to get even those seven words out. I remember tears were coming down my face.

It's so quiet it the arena, you can hear your watch ticking. We wait and wait for Steven to talk again, he's obviously trying to gather his strength. Finally he blurts out three words, all together, in one short sentence..."Beat the Islanders".

Oh my God, the place erupted, it went from sounding like a church to absolute pandemonium, instantly. I will never forget that as long as I live.

20. September 1996, World Cup of Hockey, USA vs. Russia in the round robin part of the tournament. The US is good, really good, and the crowd is going nuts. USA USA chants ring out almost non-stop. It helps that Richter and Leetch are two of the main players on the team, and the US is playing amazing hockey. Not only are they beating Russia on the scoreboard, they're hitting them all over the ice, punishing them every chance they get.

The crowd loves it, every hit brings a bigger cheer. In the third period the game is long decided, and one of the Hatchers hits a Russian in the corner and lays him out good. The Russian isn't getting up, and the crowd roars. Until we see which Russian is down...turns out it's Alexei Kovalev. A hush goes over the Garden crowd as the trainer goes out on the ice to attend to him.

It takes some time to get him up again, and while Kovalev is still down the chants change over completely from "USA" to "Let's Go Rangers". Now it's loud, really loud, and Kovalev finally gets to his feet and is helped off the ice. The place is going crazy for him. No more USA chants, the building has turned back into Ranger fans again. When Kovalev finally takes the ice again before the end of the game, the place explodes. "Let's go Rangers" is now echoing through the building.

Last edited by Jersey Girl: 10-10-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:41 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

I'm taking a vacation to New York in March. I plan on going to my first two Ranger games.

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:46 PM
ogie

there were so many memories at the garden for me that is is hard for me to make a list. The one memory that stands out in my mind anytime i think of MSG is the first time i was ever there (for a hockey game). The escalator ride up with fans chanting "let's go rangers" in the hallways. How bright and virgin white the ice looked in person. The sound of the skates scraping ice and the boom of the puck as it hit the boards. The shock at hearing a 75 year old women sitting in front of us call a particular Philly player (Lindros) a word that rhymes with 'shucking stunt'.

Ever since then when i go to MSG, the first glimpse of the ice is something magical, almost like a religious experience. It always takes me a few seconds to compose myself when i exit the tunnel and get a glimpse of it. It is like every time i am transported back to the first time and experience it anew all over again. To me there are few things in my life that top that first trip to MSG.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 03:10 PM
broadwayblue

For #2 are you sure you aren't referring to "the save"?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I think what was meant was the two breakaways Bure had at the all star game that Richter stopped.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
No, in the All-Star game the same thing happened. I think it was a breakaway I'm not sure. But I remember it perfectly, and it was deja vu when it happened in the SCF.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 03:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I think what was meant was the two breakaways Bure had at the all star game that Richter stopped.
Pretty much the same move both times if I recall correctly.

10-10-2008, 03:23 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
there were so many memories at the garden for me that is is hard for me to make a list. The one memory that stands out in my mind anytime i think of MSG is the first time i was ever there (for a hockey game). The escalator ride up with fans chanting "let's go rangers" in the hallways. How bright and virgin white the ice looked in person. The sound of the skates scraping ice and the boom of the puck as it hit the boards. The shock at hearing a 75 year old women sitting in front of us call a particular Philly player (Lindros) a word that rhymes with 'shucking stunt'.

Ever since then when i go to MSG, the first glimpse of the ice is something magical, almost like a religious experience. It always takes me a few seconds to compose myself when i exit the tunnel and get a glimpse of it. It is like every time i am transported back to the first time and experience it anew all over again. To me there are few things in my life that top that first trip to MSG.

I can hardly wait to smell the hotdog's in the air, and feel the cold of the ice. The Garden does need a update, but it's home. Let's go Rangers!!!

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 03:24 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Pretty much the same move both times if I recall correctly.
Almost exactly the same move, but yeah that's "The Save".

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 01:20 AM
nyrmetros

"20. September 1996, World Cup of Hockey, USA vs. Russia in the round robin part of the tournament. The US is good, really good, and the crowd is going nuts. USA USA chants ring out almost non-stop. It helps that Richter and Leetch are two of the main players on the team, and the US is playing amazing hockey. Not only are they beating Russia on the scoreboard, they're hitting them all over the ice, punishing them every chance they get.

The crowd loves it, every hit brings a bigger cheer. In the third period the game is long decided, and one of the Hatchers hits a Russian in the corner and lays him out good. The Russian isn't getting up, and the crowd roars. Until we see which Russian is down...turns out it's Alexei Kovalev. A hush goes over the Garden crowd as the trainer goes out on the ice to attend to him.

It takes some time to get him up again, and while Kovalev is still down the chants change over completely from "USA" to "Let's Go Rangers". Now it's loud, really loud, and Kovalev finally gets to his feet and is helped off the ice. The place is going crazy for him. No more USA chants, the building has turned back into Ranger fans again. When Kovalev finally takes the ice again before the end of the game, the place explodes. "Let's go Rangers" is now echoing through the building."

Anyone have more details about this game? To this day I'm mad that I wasn't able to go.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 01:37 AM
acapps10

#10, great game i was at that one

acapps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 02:12 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

21. Nylander's Hat trick against Atlanta
22. The Avery Rule

Just adding some of my memories....you already have about 90% of them

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 08:38 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

What I love the most about The Garden is that you know you are in New York. "Cooooold Beeeeeearhhhh...Not sold inside" You just don't hear attitude like that from the vendors anywhere else.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 10:25 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I love the Garden, but last night was pretty lame. I guess the fans need to get back into the groove, very quiet in there.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 04:36 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
I love the Garden, but last night was pretty lame. I guess the fans need to get back into the groove, very quiet in there.
It's been like that for many years now. But last years opening night was much louder and much more electric than this years. Weird considering this opening night fell on a Friday. shame.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 06:35 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
i appreciate the garden for many reasons...but also because more fans show up for liberty games than they do for devils games @ the prudential center

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Acew61

Only been to a couple games at the garden, many in Buffalo but the first game I got to see at the garden was game 3 EC semi's against Buffalo. I couldnt talk/hear for the next day. Most amazing game. Was at the NYAC for a crew race against Columbia and it was a couple days before my birthday so my dad surprised me when we left after the race and we started heading into the city on the train. Greatest birthday gift ever.

Acew61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:23 PM
FOXHOUND*

Friday night i was at the garden, saturday night at the wach, ive never wanted to get back to the garden so bad. you really appreciate how awesome the garden is after hanging out in a W.T. place like the wach. Greatest place in the greatest city in the world.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote