HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Chipchura stays for now - 4 more cuts announced (Denis and Henry waived)

Old
10-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Yes you do.... read.... the cap is calculated daily....

Its how much you have spent up to and including today... plus what is owed to the players on your roster and IR if they were to stay up for the rest of the season.

So if you send a player away now, you can pick up a more expensive one later... cause you will only have to count the salary he recieves after the trade deadline.

The only difference with what IB said and what Baseball coach said... is BC wanted to break the salary down into 82 segments by games.... and IB said that isn't right... you have to break it down by the number of days from the start to the end of the season.
This doesn't make any sense, sorry.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
This doesn't make any sense, sorry.
it makes complete sense....

you only pay a player for how long he is on your team... if he is on your team 1/4 of the season, you only pay him 1/4 of his salary, and you only absorb 1/4 of the cap hit.

So if you get rid of a player now... you save most of his salary for the season. And if you pick up a player at the deadline you only owe him 1/4 of his salary. Therefore the cap space you would save by cutting a guy tomorrow, would get you a player whose yearly salary is 4x as much at the trade deadline.

Its really quite clear.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Cupmonger

I hope we see more of chips, I really don't want to see him just tag along all the time for nothing.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
it makes complete sense....

you only pay a player for how long he is on your team... if he is on your team 1/4 of the season, you only pay him 1/4 of his salary, and you only absorb 1/4 of the cap hit.

So if you get rid of a player now... you save most of his salary for the season. And if you pick up a player at the deadline you only owe him 1/4 of his salary. Therefore the cap space you would save by cutting a guy tomorrow, would get you a player whose yearly salary is 4x as much at the trade deadline.

Its really quite clear.
Actually no it's not. If you cut a guy today who's making $1 million for the season, you only save a million at the end of the season.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Actually no it's not. If you cut a guy today who's making $1 million for the season, you only save a million at the end of the season.
True, minus whatever he's been paid so far. But I think Beaker's point is that at the trade deadline.

The million dollars you saved by cutting a player now, will give you the cap space to sign a 4 million dollar player at the deadline. Since you will only have to pay 1/4 of salary of the player you would be obtaining.

The 4 million dollar player will only cost you 1 million from the trade deadline to the end of the season. Since he's already been paid 3/4 of his full salary.

10-12-2008, 04:11 PM
znk

Quote:
Is that true? Lets say Dandenault was sent to Hamilton today he'd count against the cap? What the...

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Is that true? Lets say Dandenault was sent to Hamilton today he'd count against the cap? What the...
Dandenault wouldn't count against the camp if we sent him to Hamilton

Brisebois would (he was over 35 when he signed his contract).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
True, minus whatever he's been paid so far. But I think Beaker's point is that at the trade deadline.

The million dollars you saved by cutting a player now, will give you the cap space to sign a 4 million dollar player at the deadline. Since you will only have to pay 1/4 of salary of the player you would be obtaining.

The 4 million dollar player will only cost you 1 million from the trade deadline to the end of the season. Since he's already been paid 3/4 of his full salary.
As for Asterix... everything I'm saying is right... If you choose not to believe it thats fine... but you really should check out the business of hockey board one of these days.

Quit intentionally being obtuse in thread... if you have a counter argument to the point, you should post it with a link... if not, well you are just spewing crap.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:14 PM
znk

Quote:
Dandenault wouldn't count against the camp if we sent him to Hamilton

Brisebois would (he was over 35 when he signed his contract).

As for Asterix... everything I'm saying is right... If you choose not to believe it thats fine... but you really should check out the business of hockey board one of these days.

Quit intentionally being obtuse in thread... if you have a counter argument to the point, you should post it with a link... if not, well you are just spewing crap.
Wooh....I'm relieved things are as I thought they were. Astrix sounded so convinced it gave me doubts.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Wooh....I'm relieved things are as I thought they were. Astrix sounded so convinced it gave me doubts.
unbelievable, how he could keep saying, Nope your wrong! and have absolutely no argument or fact's to stand on........he must have been a little tipsy while posting in this thread??

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote