HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Chipchura stays for now - 4 more cuts announced (Denis and Henry waived)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-10-2008, 09:33 AM
  #226
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Yes you do.... read.... the cap is calculated daily....

Its how much you have spent up to and including today... plus what is owed to the players on your roster and IR if they were to stay up for the rest of the season.

So if you send a player away now, you can pick up a more expensive one later... cause you will only have to count the salary he recieves after the trade deadline.

The only difference with what IB said and what Baseball coach said... is BC wanted to break the salary down into 82 segments by games.... and IB said that isn't right... you have to break it down by the number of days from the start to the end of the season.
This doesn't make any sense, sorry.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:38 AM
  #227
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
This doesn't make any sense, sorry.
it makes complete sense....

you only pay a player for how long he is on your team... if he is on your team 1/4 of the season, you only pay him 1/4 of his salary, and you only absorb 1/4 of the cap hit.

So if you get rid of a player now... you save most of his salary for the season. And if you pick up a player at the deadline you only owe him 1/4 of his salary. Therefore the cap space you would save by cutting a guy tomorrow, would get you a player whose yearly salary is 4x as much at the trade deadline.

Its really quite clear.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:46 PM
  #228
Cupmonger
Registered User
 
Cupmonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 3,277
vCash: 500
I hope we see more of chips, I really don't want to see him just tag along all the time for nothing.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:28 PM
  #229
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
it makes complete sense....

you only pay a player for how long he is on your team... if he is on your team 1/4 of the season, you only pay him 1/4 of his salary, and you only absorb 1/4 of the cap hit.

So if you get rid of a player now... you save most of his salary for the season. And if you pick up a player at the deadline you only owe him 1/4 of his salary. Therefore the cap space you would save by cutting a guy tomorrow, would get you a player whose yearly salary is 4x as much at the trade deadline.

Its really quite clear.
Actually no it's not. If you cut a guy today who's making $1 million for the season, you only save a million at the end of the season.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:39 PM
  #230
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Actually no it's not. If you cut a guy today who's making $1 million for the season, you only save a million at the end of the season.
True, minus whatever he's been paid so far. But I think Beaker's point is that at the trade deadline.

The million dollars you saved by cutting a player now, will give you the cap space to sign a 4 million dollar player at the deadline. Since you will only have to pay 1/4 of salary of the player you would be obtaining.

The 4 million dollar player will only cost you 1 million from the trade deadline to the end of the season. Since he's already been paid 3/4 of his full salary.

__________________
Don Cherry is right...you don't poke the bear..you walk right up to it and punch it in the mouth. - Grant McCagg
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 04:11 PM
  #231
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Actually no it's not. If you cut a guy today who's making $1 million for the season, you only save a million at the end of the season.
Is that true? Lets say Dandenault was sent to Hamilton today he'd count against the cap? What the...

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:56 PM
  #232
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Is that true? Lets say Dandenault was sent to Hamilton today he'd count against the cap? What the...
Dandenault wouldn't count against the camp if we sent him to Hamilton

Brisebois would (he was over 35 when he signed his contract).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
True, minus whatever he's been paid so far. But I think Beaker's point is that at the trade deadline.

The million dollars you saved by cutting a player now, will give you the cap space to sign a 4 million dollar player at the deadline. Since you will only have to pay 1/4 of salary of the player you would be obtaining.

The 4 million dollar player will only cost you 1 million from the trade deadline to the end of the season. Since he's already been paid 3/4 of his full salary.
As for Asterix... everything I'm saying is right... If you choose not to believe it thats fine... but you really should check out the business of hockey board one of these days.

Quit intentionally being obtuse in thread... if you have a counter argument to the point, you should post it with a link... if not, well you are just spewing crap.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:14 PM
  #233
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Dandenault wouldn't count against the camp if we sent him to Hamilton

Brisebois would (he was over 35 when he signed his contract).



As for Asterix... everything I'm saying is right... If you choose not to believe it thats fine... but you really should check out the business of hockey board one of these days.

Quit intentionally being obtuse in thread... if you have a counter argument to the point, you should post it with a link... if not, well you are just spewing crap.
Wooh....I'm relieved things are as I thought they were. Astrix sounded so convinced it gave me doubts.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:29 PM
  #234
Toro
Registered User
 
Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Wooh....I'm relieved things are as I thought they were. Astrix sounded so convinced it gave me doubts.
unbelievable, how he could keep saying, Nope your wrong! and have absolutely no argument or fact's to stand on........he must have been a little tipsy while posting in this thread??

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.