HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Three of Four Lines Are Set

Old
10-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Celestial Black

vCash: 500
Rissmiller and Prucha seem like the odd guys out...I kind of want to see what Fristsche can do and then determine further.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:32 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Fritche should play the 3rd line with Dawes, and Prucha traded...they are done here.

Not the prototype and not living up to expectations.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Right now the two best lines are the 2nd and 4th. The top line hasn't done much on even strength. The third line has done nothing at all, maybe it needs a veteran on the line. I agree with the majority here play Orr sparingly, try Sjostrom and Fritsche on the wings on the 4th line, SOLVE the 15 forward situation: news flash Renney pre-season is over pick your guys! The only reason we won the last two games is because we're more in "mid season form" than Chicago and Philly. The facts are there, we were very lucky to beat Chicago, they skated all over us, but missed the net countless times. Philly fell behind 4-0, but look what happened when they found their game. The last 2 periods I did not see one good shift from us. I will take 4 wins any day but this team needs to deal with a few issues now.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:39 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I disagree that the 2nd line is set. While I am loving Voros so far, and he's been great (hit the post last night, and had an assist after the great Chicago game), I get the feeling that in the long run, the Rangers will need a more offensively gifted winger for Dubi and Zherdev. I think Voros is better suited to the 3rd line (a guy who can score, hit, fight, and play defense), and hopefully the Rangers can get an upgrade on the 2nd line.
Then they can consistently role at least 3 deep (with the 4th line still getting some good playing time) almost like how Buffalo was in 06-07.
I don't think Voros will be able to keep up this good offensive production for the whole season and will eventually come back to earth. But hey, if he pots 25 goals on that line or something, I'll be quite happily mistaken.
Anyone agree that Voros might not end up as the long term solution on the 2nd line?

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
Fritche should play the 3rd line with Dawes, and Prucha traded...they are done here.

Not the prototype and not living up to expectations.
Ok so seriously Saying Dawes is done here is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard............they guy has played 3 games this yr for god sakes..............and he played well last yr.........AND he will get back to normal

Now Prucha I understand , he may as well be moved ASAP and just bring up a cheap 7th Dman in his spot already

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
I disagree that the 2nd line is set. While I am loving Voros so far, and he's been great (hit the post last night, and had an assist after the great Chicago game), I get the feeling that in the long run, the Rangers will need a more offensively gifted winger for Dubi and Zherdev. I think Voros is better suited to the 3rd line (a guy who can score, hit, fight, and play defense), and hopefully the Rangers can get an upgrade on the 2nd line.
Then they can consistently role at least 3 deep (with the 4th line still getting some good playing time) almost like how Buffalo was in 06-07.
I don't think Voros will be able to keep up this good offensive production for the whole season and will eventually come back to earth. But hey, if he pots 25 goals on that line or something, I'll be quite happily mistaken.
Anyone agree that Voros might not end up as the long term solution on the 2nd line?
I agree he may not and may end up back on the 4th but I like what I see........big body that goes to the net...........That is why I think Dawes plays a big part sooner rather than later

AND Fritsche is getting screwed in this numbers game

Anyone think it may make sense to package Prucha and Rissmiller for a 3rd line C and then move Korpikoski to LW?

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:55 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Right now the two best lines are the 2nd and 4th. The top line hasn't done much on even strength. The third line has done nothing at all, maybe it needs a veteran on the line. I agree with the majority here play Orr sparingly, try Sjostrom and Fritsche on the wings on the 4th line, SOLVE the 15 forward situation: news flash Renney pre-season is over pick your guys! The only reason we won the last two games is because we're more in "mid season form" than Chicago and Philly. The facts are there, we were very lucky to beat Chicago, they skated all over us, but missed the net countless times. Philly fell behind 4-0, but look what happened when they found their game. The last 2 periods I did not see one good shift from us. I will take 4 wins any day but this team needs to deal with a few issues now.

First line has been getting a ton of huge chances and applies alot of pressure, not a ton of pucks in the back of the net, but i have a feeling with the talent on it, sooner or later pucks are gonna start to go in. Drury is always tipping off passes in the neutral zone and drawing tripping penalties when racing in-to the zone. That might be a big reason why we don't see too much of that line as a whole. Especially yesterday, a bunch of that line was broken up with the team being on the PP, or PK.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 06:22 PM
DutchShamrock

I don't really understand the reservations concerning Orr. People keep citing his skating... he's outskating defenders to loose pucks in every game and they are actually resulting in scoring chances. We lack overall size in our lineup and he is a huge deterrent for cheap stuff. He is hanging in the play and more than holding his own.

I used to not be a huge fan of his and at best would admit that despite his abilities, he was needed every now and then... especially against teams like the flyers even though he'd generally be a roster waste with 3 minutes a night. But come on now, let's be honest. He would be contending for a spot this season even if he couldn't fight a lick, his skating has improved that much. Renney has him well disciplined on when the appropriate time is to fight (which, by this thread alone everyone seems to value tremendously). Basically, his presense was necessary even though other aspects of the team game would suffer. That tradeoff is no longer the issue, he doesn't hinder our team game anymore.

And before anyone splits any hairs here, we're talking about a 4th line RW. If anyone wants to talk about goals, you better go and delete your 'Blair Betts Love Fest' posts in this thread.

I'm just wondering, who people want playing in that spot instead, and what exactly they are looking for from that spot. Keep in mind, the extras on our roster are essentially clones to each other and we aren't exactly the toughest team around. What is so great about the options that removing Orr is worthwhile?

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 06:58 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Evantually that line will be Korp, Cally & Shanny. & Slow
Fixed

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 07:15 PM
NYROrtsFan

I love SHanny but no thanks...

He's too slow and is the opposite of what the team has become. Right now they are a fast, constantly in your face type of team and it is working well. THey put a ton of pressure on the opposing defense and are able to move the puck fairly well. Shanny doesn't bring that.

The third line should simply be Prucha or Fritche because they both fit that mold better than the awful Rissmiller or even Dawes.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 08:00 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I don't really understand the reservations concerning Orr. People keep citing his skating... he's outskating defenders to loose pucks in every game and they are actually resulting in scoring chances. We lack overall size in our lineup and he is a huge deterrent for cheap stuff. He is hanging in the play and more than holding his own.

I used to not be a huge fan of his and at best would admit that despite his abilities, he was needed every now and then... especially against teams like the flyers even though he'd generally be a roster waste with 3 minutes a night. But come on now, let's be honest. He would be contending for a spot this season even if he couldn't fight a lick, his skating has improved that much. Renney has him well disciplined on when the appropriate time is to fight (which, by this thread alone everyone seems to value tremendously). Basically, his presense was necessary even though other aspects of the team game would suffer. That tradeoff is no longer the issue, he doesn't hinder our team game anymore.

And before anyone splits any hairs here, we're talking about a 4th line RW. If anyone wants to talk about goals, you better go and delete your 'Blair Betts Love Fest' posts in this thread.

I'm just wondering, who people want playing in that spot instead, and what exactly they are looking for from that spot. Keep in mind, the extras on our roster are essentially clones to each other and we aren't exactly the toughest team around. What is so great about the options that removing Orr is worthwhile?
if that were true, and it is not, we would be in a very bad place.....

im sorry, he punches people. thats pretty much it. rismiller can do orrs job minus the face punching, much better, faster, with more defensive intelligence and can pot 8 goals a year on the 4th line with betts as his centerman

orr wont score 8 goals in 5 years

and to answer your question, what i am looking for from that spot is some rismiller and lots of face pounding by orr, but NOT EVERY GAME.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 08:07 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
I love SHanny but no thanks...

He's too slow and is the opposite of what the team has become. Right now they are a fast, constantly in your face type of team and it is working well. THey put a ton of pressure on the opposing defense and are able to move the puck fairly well. Shanny doesn't bring that.

The third line should simply be Prucha or Fritche because they both fit that mold better than the awful Rissmiller or even Dawes.

ha again. how many games have you seen him play? 1 maybe 2? come on. awful... and orr is awesome? rismiller played very well last year for sj. look it up.

the 4th line is a grinder line. a checking line and a line that can play defense first.

that line should be sjo betts and rismiller and the occasional orr.

fyi the 3rd line should be cally korpedo and dawes or fritsche.

prucha has no role on this team and at 1.6 hes an overpriced extra. lets make deal with edmonton and give him a chance for a career.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 07:28 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
if that were true, and it is not, we would be in a very bad place.....

im sorry, he punches people. thats pretty much it. rismiller can do orrs job minus the face punching, much better, faster, with more defensive intelligence and can pot 8 goals a year on the 4th line with betts as his centerman

orr wont score 8 goals in 5 years

and to answer your question, what i am looking for from that spot is some rismiller and lots of face pounding by orr, but NOT EVERY GAME.
Have you really been disappointed by Orr's play? He looks more than competent in my opinion and I don't feel like he's hurting the team when he's on the ice. I just can't really think of any examples from this season to justify his removal from the lineup.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Fletch

still not convinced that Korps is the answer at center. While Rissmiller didn't play poorly and Sjo looked good on a fourth line, perhaps bringing in Fritsche to center a line with Cally and Korps was the move that's more meaningful to the future and may have a bigger impact on the season overall. Korps' line has become the team's fourth line, and I'm ont sure that's the intention. While Betts' line has played well and has scored, one needs to decide if that's something that is sustainable and is that more important to getting a third line going that has guys who can score 10-15 goals.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Fletch

Mugerya...

regarding Orr - I actually think he looked better with the puck last season than this season. Perhaps it's early, but he's been fumbling around a bit with the puck. Personally, I'm fine with Orr in the lineup. I do prefer him be out there 3-5 minutes instead of 8-10, however, and hopefully an emergence of a third line will help that.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:52 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
I'd like to see Fritsche given a chance to center the third line too. Korpikoski hasn't looked as comfortable as he did in the preseason.

As far as Fritsche being bad at faceoff... so is Korpikoski so no net loss.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 09:07 AM
94now

Quote:
Have you really been disappointed by Orr's play? He looks more than competent in my opinion and I don't feel like he's hurting the team when he's on the ice. I just can't really think of any examples from this season to justify his removal from the lineup.
I agree. Leave Bobby alone! There's so much more in hockey game then scoring goals. Scoring is not a purpose. The winning is. Orr helps us win and he does that by playing, not just by fighting.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 09:40 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Ok so seriously Saying Dawes is done here is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard............they guy has played 3 games this yr for god sakes..............and he played well last yr.........AND he will get back to normal

Now Prucha I understand , he may as well be moved ASAP and just bring up a cheap 7th Dman in his spot already
Actually, saying any single player is not replaceable , especially a young player that has yet to actually make a mark in the league or proove anything past a potentially flukey season is much dumber.

By your standard I can say, Prucah has played well 3 years ago, its only 3 games in give him a chance.

Dawes as a young player had his chance this year, in preseason, in the first 4 games , he has not made his mark. Same with Prucha.

Neither player has found any comfort on the 2nd or 3rd line. Or shown any of the upside they have had in the past.

Keeping players when you can get something for them now vs nothing if you try to send them through waivers, is actually dumber.

Considering also, Sjostrom has played well, Rismiller scored in his first game in the real lineup, and Fritche has played much better than Dawes or Prucha did last year spells volumes. Oh did you hear that, that was the buzzer, their time is up.

I expect Renney to give them both one more shot, then Sather pulls the trigger on a deal. Calls up a 7th man for D and starts rotating Kalinin with Potter.

But then again, being dumb would be not knowing when to pull the trigger on a deal like that.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 10:03 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
Considering also, Sjostrom has played well, Rismiller scored in his first game in the real lineup, and Fritche has played much better than Dawes or Prucha did last year spells volumes. Oh did you hear that, that was the buzzer, their time is up.
When did this happen? He has played one regular season game (the ones that actually count) and has zero points.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 11:18 AM
JerseyRangers

Quote:

I agree 100%! As everyone can see Orr has really improved his skating and has been solid the first 4 games of the season. I keep reading about how he still can't skate or doesn't have any hockey skills. I'm guessing that is still based off of last year cause he's certainly shown more this season. He's certainly been more effective so far then either of Prucha or Dawes -- just think about that for a minute and tell me if anyone could have said that about him last year!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Why do people hate Cally? He's great.

Sjo should be on the third line, but not instead of Cally, but with him. I think they would compliment each other well as both are good skaters.

Fritsche would be on the 4th line. Neither Dawes nor Prucha are suited for bottom-6 duty.

I must say Fritsche deserves more than 4th line responsibility. The kid can play. He's a better than average 3rd liner and given his age, he can actually become a second-liner if he works as hard as Dubinsky on improving his game (ok, even Superman wouldn't work as hard as Dubinsky, but you get my point.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Sjostrom should be on the 3rd line, in Callahan's spot.

If we are basing everything on performance so far, how does Callahan's pointless season mean more then Sjostrom's season when Sjo scored, with offensively challeneged Or and Betts?

It amazes me how some people refuse to look at these players.

Orr can't skate and has no business being in the lineup EVERY game.

Callahan skates hard, and can't score. He hasn't set up anyone either.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 12:30 AM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
That's my opinion. Lines 1, 2, & 4 are set (I'm liking Sjostrom on line four with Betts & Orr). The only line that I'm having issues with is line 3. Dawes looked bad, Rissmiller didn't look good nor bad, Fritsche hasn't played and Prucha I thought looked like the better of the three who have played. Also Korpikoski hasn't done much yet either, I hope he can wake up. At least he had a good preseason though. Best player on that line so far is Callahan.
Agreed, that line seemed to click much better with Prucha. Only fair to give him a chance huh/

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Nich

with the lack of the first line scoring, i would like to see this tweak for a game

nasland - gomez - prucha
voros - dubi - z
dawes - drury - cally
sjostrom - blair - orr

ex - korpedo, rissmiller, frische

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 04:44 PM
frozenH20

I think the 1st line needs time to gell, 2nd line needs to keep doing what theyíre doing, 3rd line needs a major over hall, and the 4th maybe some tweaking.

The line of naslund-gomez-drury at times looked phenomonal as well as flat. Drury in particuliar is at his best (going after secondary chances) when he's not worried about being defensively responsible for the linemates. He and Gomez compliment each other very well. Naslund and the line will be better, when Naslund starts shooting. Donít know if heís rusty or being overly unselfish, but heís needs to stop thinking about passing first. I think Nasland has the best and perhaps only sniper skills on the line.

The voros-dubinsky-zherdev line are set - as long as the remain consistent. Zherdev appears to be the exact opposite of a rogue head-case. He looks great individually and more comfortable moving down to the 2nd line. Dubinsky has consistantly been the best player on the team. I was a skeptical about Voros being on the second line, but the results are undeniable.

The sjostrom-betts-orr line are defensively sound and even generating offensive opportunities. Sjostrom is hungrier, Betts is crashing the net, and Orr has become much more than an enforcer. I donít mind Orr playing more, but he doesnít need to play against smaller teams.

The third line and many of the remaining players are a conundrum. Thus far, of the (Prucha, Dawes, Frische, Rissmiller)-korpikoski-callahan combinations, Prucha-Korpikoski-Callahan looked best with a lot of energy, sustain pressure in Prague. I would like to see them develop some chemistry together.

∑ Callahan is solid and playing better than even before his injury last year.
∑ Korpikoski was the best rookie in camp and earned a slot, but seems less confident now.
∑ Prucha seems to be doing every better Ė except finishing.
∑ Frische didnít look as good or standout in his 1st regular game against NJ. I think playing well all pre-season and sits out the first 4, effected his confidence.
∑ Rissmiller remains a mystery, I still donít understand his role.
∑ Dawes has been completely invisible and seems unmotivated; I canít recall him even touching the puck.

frozenH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 05:01 PM
LyNX27

Drury - Gomez - Naslund
Voros - Dubinsky -Zherdev
Korpikoski - Fritsche - Callahan
Sjostrom - Betts - Orr

This 3rd line oozes with creativity, 2 way play, and speed I would love to see that, or... switch Fritsche and Sjo and put Korpikoski back at center i guess.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote