HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malik

Old
10-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
True. I think the biggest issue with him on the Rangers was that he was our #1 Dman, which as we all know, is absolutely not what Malik is.

I think he is a serviceable, good value for money Dman.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 10:41 AM
RFAN

He is slow but not 7 out of 10 he is in good position. He was used wrong here for sure could be a good 3rd pairing guy. He deff wicked on penalty shot..lol

RFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 11:27 AM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
The closest analogy I can make is that he played like the Gentle giant Kjell Samuelson of the Rangers, Flyers and Pens. He has good reach, he will be defensively responsible and he will give you good service and likely to be either even or plus player. I can't imagine how much you would have to pay for him, but I reckon it wouldn't be that much adn for that I think he is a good acquisiton.

I saw your D in Prague, and you need help.

Michalek is a younger version of Malik, but he can't pass the puck the way Malik can.
Malik has composure....at times he has too much of it and he will make the errant pass which will inevitably
lead to opposition goal chance. But I reckon his plus far outweigh the minuses. It is impossible to expect that D will be error free.;...

I think it is a good acquisition for you
I agree with the comparison to Kjell during his Ranger years but certainly not during his Flyer years. With the Flyers he played a physical, almost nasty game and was actually very effective. Another comparison would be Willie Huber -- a large guy, very slow to anger who didn't use his size well and wasn't the best skater in the world. Not sure who was booed more at the Garden, Willie or Marek!

Anyway, Malik is what he is. As a #5 or #6 d-man he is ok. Just don't put him out there against the top two lines and expect him to shut down the Crosby's of the world. He just can't skate well enough nor is does he use his size enough to get the job done. Used properly he can still play in this league. He was thrust into a situation here in NY where he was asked to do much more than he really is capable of.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 11:55 AM
in the hall

whoever said he was a good player is full of ****. he plays like an absolute flake. he gives up defensively and his plus minus stat is the most misleading stat in the nhl.

he's got a bad attitude and plays like he doesn't give a crap.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 11:55 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I'll put it like this, the Rangers don't have a 7th defenseman. Last year, Malik was often scratched in favor of Strudwick. The Rangers chose not to resign Strudwick or Malik for their 7th defenseman spot.

You're better off playing some kid who's not ready for the NHL yet, he'll be better than Malik who struggled ever since the lockout made the game quicker. Malik is incapable of keeping up.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He's not as bad as you will hear in this thread. But he's probably not suited to be anything more than a bottom 6 d-man.
This.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 12:19 PM
blue425

Quote:
I think he is a serviceable, good value for money Dman.
And not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. So long as he isn't getting 20+ minutes a night.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
The closest analogy I can make is that he played like the Gentle giant Kjell Samuelson of the Rangers, Flyers and Pens. He has good reach, he will be defensively responsible and he will give you good service and likely to be either even or plus player. I can't imagine how much you would have to pay for him, but I reckon it wouldn't be that much adn for that I think he is a good acquisiton.
I had been about to say the same thing! Malik plays a lot like "Seaweed", which makes sense in that they have similar physical gifts. He's not as physical as Samuelsson was, but neither was the Swede a pounder. On the other hand, he's much, much better with the puck and generally makes a very good outlet pass. In the "new" NHL, it's hard to say if he really can keep up anymore -- he's not a young man.

Another thing about Malik I wanted to mention is that he's apparently a great personality, very very funny and generally known to be very popular in the dressing room. I think the earlier poster was wrong, Malik is a guy who loves to win and is well-liked by his teammates.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Chris 84

I always liked Malik, I always will. He did a very good job for this team. He makes too many errors and is real slow but his general play is good and his plus minus isn't a coincidence. I think you'll be lucky to have him.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:41 AM
snowcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladoww View Post
Hey guys, Bolts fan here...

So the rumor is we may be getting this guy. I can't pretend to know a whole lot about him, but I do know most of you all aren't big fans of his, and I was hoping to get some specifics, maybe pros and cons, and as to why you all think he's no good. I personally am not too excited. Thanks in advance!

http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/
LOL! That's all I have to say. The guy stinks. I feel bad for you.

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:43 AM
snowcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I had been about to say the same thing! Malik plays a lot like "Seaweed", which makes sense in that they have similar physical gifts. He's not as physical as Samuelsson was, but neither was the Swede a pounder. On the other hand, he's much, much better with the puck and generally makes a very good outlet pass. In the "new" NHL, it's hard to say if he really can keep up anymore -- he's not a young man.

Another thing about Malik I wanted to mention is that he's apparently a great personality, very very funny and generally known to be very popular in the dressing room. I think the earlier poster was wrong, Malik is a guy who loves to win and is well-liked by his teammates.
That's like saying Hollweg isn't as good of a goal scorer as Gretzky was.

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:53 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Malik

He's definitely not Ranger Material....but he would definitely help the Devs out.

hehe.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
True. I think the biggest issue with him on the Rangers was that he was our #1 Dman, which as we all know, is absolutely not what Malik is.
he will be a fine bottom end guy...............TB stinks on D so they need him

on paper it's better now for them

Carle, Mezaros
Ranger, Kraijek
Malik, Niskala

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 07:43 PM
John Torturella

Malik has signed with Tampa as per Sam.

rangers.lohudblogs.com