HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

If Not Nedved Maybe Lindros?

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2004, 04:15 PM
canada94

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to canada94

I was just reading that lindros won't be getting a qualifying offer and making him a UFA. He knows no one will be paying that 10 million dollars but i was thinking maybe the oilers can sign him maybe 2yr 6million. Last season he put some ok numbers with 39 games 10 goals 22 assists. Would be that big center oil have been always wanting and is 1 year younger then Nedved

Old
06-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Injuries are a big factor, again. I think it's been discussed before, but it's worth mentioning again: if Lindros is willing to sign a contract with a low base salary but filled with incentives for GP, G/A/P, +/-, etc. then he is a viable alternative to Nedved. But otherwise if his father or him demands a higher base salary I wouldn't go for it.

Old
06-30-2004, 04:29 PM
Yakupov is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

re

Lindros can no doubt put big numbers on the board still. In 39 games he had 32 points. But that's the thing - 39 games. Last year he played 81 so you never know with that guy...I agree with Cloned about a contract with incentives for stats and games played. If we signed him to that type of deal, I wouldn't mind him. But we also had intention for him to be our number 1 center next season, we'd be in trouble.

If we really, really, wanted him, I don't see why we could have both him and Nedved around. I don't think he's as bad a person as he's been made out to be ever since the Quebec thing but his dad would make his time here a living hell for management and fans.

Old
06-30-2004, 04:35 PM
smytty's mullet

lindros has disaster written all over him.

remember that 2 or 3 years ago he had a chance to come to edmonton and he said no.

the guy can't stay healthy and he's never been successful despite playing on some pretty good teams.

with over 200 free agents on the market i think we can do way better than eric.

Old
06-30-2004, 04:35 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick
Lindros can no doubt put big numbers on the board still. In 39 games he had 32 points. But that's the thing - 39 games. Last year he played 81 so you never know with that guy...I agree with Cloned about a contract with incentives for stats and games played. If we signed him to that type of deal, I wouldn't mind him. But we also had intention for him to be our number 1 center next season, we'd be in trouble.

If we really, really, wanted him, I don't see why we could have both him and Nedved around. I don't think he's as bad a person as he's been made out to be ever since the Quebec thing but his dad would make his time here a living hell for management and fans.
Yeah, the skills are still there. It's the heart and ability to play the type of game he needs to play that has been questioned. Lurking around on the Rangers board most fans seem to agree that his time in NY wasn't nearly as bad as they had expected. He didn't complain that much, seemed to develop some leadership qualities, and his father didn't really show up as much as he did in Philly. The heart is likely still there. He obviously can't be the 'E-train' or whatever that he once was and go around checking people into the boards like he once did, but he can still be effective if he's played properly. Of course that brings the MacT factor into the equation...

I dunno whether his role would be as a first or second line center. My guess would be that it would depend on his performance and consistency.

However, I doubt that we could have BOTH of Nedved and Lindros here. Salary-wise I don't think it would be feasible considering that many of our RFA's have to be given a raise and such.

I stress that it no matter the salary it would still be a significant risk to take. Signing Lindros could prove to be another Dopita or Oates-style failure, or even worse.

Old
06-30-2004, 04:43 PM
mackdogs*

I agree Cloned, this is Dopita waiting to happen again. Oates is a bit different since he stuck it out here, but I don't think KLo can afford another gamble like this. Quick also makes a great point that we can't really have a guy like this as our #1. He basically has to miss games next year, it's a given and every game he plays may be his last. It's nice to have incentives for GP and what not, but replacing your #1 C part way through a season makes it a gamble I can't see them taking.

He has chemistry with York, he's big and skilled... but I just cannot for the life of me picture an Oilers jersey with Lindros on the back.

Old
06-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdogs
I agree Cloned, this is Dopita waiting to happen again. Oates is a bit different since he stuck it out here, but I don't think KLo can afford another gamble like this. Quick also makes a great point that we can't really have a guy like this as our #1. He basically has to miss games next year, it's a given and every game he plays may be his last. It's nice to have incentives for GP and what not, but replacing your #1 C part way through a season makes it a gamble I can't see them taking.

He has chemistry with York, he's big and skilled... but I just cannot for the life of me picture an Oilers jersey with Lindros on the back.
Yeah, I was kinda just grouping Oates in with Dopita based on performance, not really on class or intangibles. There are certainly safer options out there, like Rolston or Conroy but their salary would likely be just as high if not higher than Lindros'. And I view Conroy as more of a #2 or #3 center, so I don't think he could replace Nedved. Rolston is an option worth exploring if Nedved isn't signed, although the salary has to be right of course.

IMO though, Lindros WOULD be worth the risk IF he can be signed for a low base salary (I'm thinking close to Isbister's salary last year). Anything higher though and I agree that the risk would be too high.

Old
06-30-2004, 05:17 PM
WFHACommish

i wouldn't.... i think the problem is also with his dad. I read in another thread on this board (about slats) that the dad also complains a lot. I think he brings more negative than postitive

Old
06-30-2004, 05:18 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned
IMO though, Lindros WOULD be worth the risk IF he can be signed for a low base salary (I'm thinking close to Isbister's salary last year). Anything higher though and I agree that the risk would be too high.
Even so.. why would he choose Edmonton out all potential suitors? Another club in a bigger market could conceivably come along and at least offer the same type of deal. The thing that will lure Lindros, most likely, is money - something the Oilers don't have quite enough to throw around. I wouldn't mind getting him cheap but I don't think it's a likely situation for Lindros to end up here.

Old
06-30-2004, 06:02 PM
FunkyChicken

What about Demitra? Sounds like STL isn't going to qualify him. He's not the power center the Oil are looking for however he has more skill than Nedved or Lindros. Assuming it would cost a little over $4M to sign Demitra, that's about $3M from Nedved's money...then send Isbister to the minors (Lowe's two-way qualifying offer) and save an additional $1.5M+.

Smyth-Demitra-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Stoll-Pisani
Horcoff-Reasoner-Laraque

Old
06-30-2004, 06:07 PM
Oilercreeper

Adam Oates did fine as an oiler...he might have not put up the points we expected him to put up...15 goals and 50 assists.. lol...but he helped the oilers in faceoffs... Oilers were 11th out of 30 teams. He did produce some success in oiler silks... Dopita... well he did nothing. You can't expect much more from Adam Oates when we don't have a player that is willing to shoot every game... if we had a Kovalchuk who shot the puck the most last season (341 SOG) Oates would have had 50 assists. Smyth had 245 shots... but he is a type of player that crashes the net... Oates needs a trigger man... not a crasher...

Old
06-30-2004, 06:38 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

I certainly hope Lindros doesn't become an Oiler.

If he does (*gulp*), I hope there some sort of contractual stipulation/clause about playing x number of games to receive so much, incentives, etc. If is health is an issue, then it should more based on how MUCH he plays rather than on stats IMO.

Old
06-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Even so.. why would he choose Edmonton out all potential suitors? Another club in a bigger market could conceivably come along and at least offer the same type of deal. The thing that will lure Lindros, most likely, is money - something the Oilers don't have quite enough to throw around. I wouldn't mind getting him cheap but I don't think it's a likely situation for Lindros to end up here.
I didn't mention anything about other teams. I was just pondering whether or not the Oilers would be risking too much by signing Lindros, if he did decide to sign here, however unlikely that would be.

However I agree with you that Lindros would not likely sign with a team like the Oilers. It's too bad that the NHL has turned out this way, but hopefully the new CBA will fix things a bit.

Old
06-30-2004, 06:44 PM
MastahPlaya

i hope that the CBA makes a salary cap..then we can hav a chance to sign big name players and stay competitive...imagine if we still had hamr/weight/guerin..

Old
06-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Matts

Can the guy stay healthy?

I don't think he can and how effective can he be if he doesn't play tough and tumble? But even if he could play 60 healthy games a year he'd be worth 3 million. That's what we get out of York every season, by comparison.

Old
06-30-2004, 09:54 PM
IceDragoon

No thanx.
The guy is one big hit away from foggy-twitchy-goofy-land.

Old
07-01-2004, 07:38 AM
laraque#27

the big E in edmonton would be great.if played on a team like edmonton who plays with heart i think you would be surpised how well lindros does.the flyers and rangers just bring the worst in players it seems.

Closed Thread