HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers trade for Andrew Alberts

Old
10-13-2008, 03:13 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
Thats a good point. Berard wouldn't have cost us a trade and we could have signed him to a cheap contract. Its not too late to still sign him and have him play with Alberts.
Berard costs a contract, which we either have 0 or 1 left of. The contract opening is probably of more value that the nothing prospect we gave up.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:20 PM
JohnEDrama

sbisa moved up

"Luca Sbisa made such a favorable impression in his NHL debut Saturday that the 18-year-old has been promoted to the Flyers' second defensive pairing."

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sport...uca_Sbisa.html

Eminger will play with kuks tonight, sbisa with coburn.

JohnEDrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:26 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I honestly don't think Sbisa should go back to junior after the 10 game trial. He'll fit perfectly as a 5 - 6 guy to start. He'll only be limited to about 16-17 minutes of ice time per game and he's not going to be asked to do too much. That's perfect for him. I'd rather Sbisa in that role than some tired old has been or never will be.

As for Andrew Alberts, I'm not sure what to think. If he's over his post concussion syndrome, he might just be a good guy to have on the third pairing. Big guy, solid skater, defensive defenseman. The good news though is that he can log a lot of ice time. The past two seasons, his TOI has been 19:40 and 20:37, so you know he can eat up valuable minutes. So, we've actually got four players on the team who are good for 20 minutes a game - Timonen, Coburn, Vaananen and Alberts. You know, I think Holmgren may have pulled a rabbit out of a hat with this deal.........

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:30 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Berard costs a contract, which we either have 0 or 1 left of. The contract opening is probably of more value that the nothing prospect we gave up.

You're right, not having that spot could be huge (if we even have one open now).

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:33 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I honestly don't think Sbisa should go back to junior after the 10 game trial. He'll fit perfectly as a 5 - 6 guy to start. He'll only be limited to about 16-17 minutes of ice time per game and he's not going to be asked to do too much. That's perfect for him. I'd rather Sbisa in that role than some tired old has been or never will be.

As for Andrew Alberts, I'm not sure what to think. If he's over his post concussion syndrome, he might just be a good guy to have on the third pairing. Big guy, solid skater, defensive defenseman. The good news though is that he can log a lot of ice time. The past two seasons, his TOI has been 19:40 and 20:37, so you know he can eat up valuable minutes. So, we've actually got four players on the team who are good for 20 minutes a game - Timonen, Coburn, Vaananen and Alberts. You know, I think Holmgren may have pulled a rabbit out of a hat with this deal.........
If we had Detroit's top two pairing I would be fine with Sbisa on the 3rd. However, we really dont have a 2nd pairing here. We have a top 2, and then a couple 3rd pairings.

We gave up essentially nothing for Alberts so it cant hurt in my opinion, only help

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:37 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Yeah, this makes me more surprised that we weren't willing to find a way to keep Berard. I liked what I saw from in the couple preseason games I saw him play, but as was already said...I guess the organization was not impressed.

However, while Berard's supposed deficiencies in his defensive play didn't stick out to me in the couple games I saw him play...I'm sure that they are there, and considering that the defensive play of some of our guys(namely Kukks and Eminger, Sbisa did have his struggles too, but I'd say he has handled himself surprisingly well for the most part) was my biggest concern in the Rangers game, I'm glad we are bringing in a dman who is considered more of a defensive guy than offensive.

Obviously, I'd love a strong two-way puckmover if we could find one, but that doesn't exactly seem to be where we're at now, does it?

Last edited by claude boivin lives: 10-13-2008 at 03:55 PM.
claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 04:10 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Yeah, this makes me more surprised that we weren't willing to find a way to keep Berard. I liked what I saw from in the couple preseason games I saw him play, but as was already said...I guess the organization was not impressed.

However, while Berard's supposed deficiencies in his defensive play didn't stick out to me in the couple games I saw him play...I'm sure that they are there, and considering that the defensive play of some of our guys(namely Kukks and Eminger, Sbisa did have his struggles too, but I'd say he has handled himself surprisingly well for the most part) was my biggest concern in the Rangers game, I'm glad we are bringing in a dman who is considered more of a defensive guy than offensive.

Obviously, I'd love a strong two-way puckmover if we could find one, but that doesn't exactly seem to be where we're at now, does it?

I think we'll make a move for a #3 type guy sometime between Parent returning and the trade deadline, unless Parent comes back 100% and is really awesome out there. We needed someone BAD until Randy Jones comes back, and we got a half-decent guy. This is what you do this time of year.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 04:29 PM
mm6492

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 05:14 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I'm incredibly happy with this trade. I guess we can assume he won't be playing until tomorrow night, right?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 05:16 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I'm incredibly happy with this trade. I guess we can assume he won't be playing until tomorrow night, right?
This is the latest I have seen.

From Tim P:
Quote:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...lberts/2/17247

Andrew Alberts arrived late from Boston and is going to take warm-up. He may play tonight but it's not a guarantee.

"We don't have plans to put him in now, it might be a bit much to ask," Stevens said of Alberts. "HE doesn't have a lot of experience but he does have experience. He's a bit older. We played against him in the lockout year in the playoffs [versus the Phantoms]. He's a big guy with mobility and he gives us some size ... He helps the depth on our back end.

"If you look in the East, there's a lot of big teams here. Washington is a big team. Rangers have a big team. Montreal has some big, strong forwards. I think size and a guy with mobility like that can be a very valuable resource to have. I don't he will ever be an offensive guy, but he can get the puck and make that first pass and be a good defender."

The only horse to win the Florida Derby, the Kentucky Derby and Breeders Cup Classic. Sire to multiple Grade 1 champions. The last horse to sire a winner in each Triple Crown race. Grandsire to American Pharoah.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post

From Tim P:
Put him in.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 05:22 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post

From Tim P:
Ah, MSE, you're one of the most reliable sources of info on the Flyers board.

Old
10-13-2008, 05:28 PM
mm6492

I would love to see him play but if not, o'well

Timonen -Vaananen
Coburn-Sbisa
Eminger-Alberts
Kukkonen

is what we will probally see until/if sbisa leaves

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 05:30 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I would love to see him play but if not, o'well

Timonen -Vaananen
Coburn-Sbisa
Eminger-Alberts
Kukkonen

is what we will probally see until/if sbisa leaves
I'm in the belief that a brand new Alberts is still > Kukkonen.

Old
10-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Kaktus*

Why not used all 7 d-men? You know we might need all of them against Habs, sit Cote?

Old
10-13-2008, 05:45 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Why not used all 7 d-men? You know we might need all of them against Habs, sit Cote?
I think it's kind of early to consider playing 7 d-men personally. I don't think we should sit Cote because of the energy he can bring to the team, and with players like Ross and Asham on the 4th line still trying to prove themselves, or possibly Downie playing on the 4th line to try to prove he should be playing at the NHL level, I don't think it'd be worth benching one of them to play a 7th d-man.

I've always been under the impression that you play 7 defensemen in desperate times, and I don't think these are desperate times.

Old
10-13-2008, 06:51 PM
blah

Alberts is another big dmen that they like to use to kill penalties. Hopefully, Alberts and Vaananen can keep Timo and Coburn off the PK. Save them for the PP and ES. But, I still would have prefered to see what they have in the 15 or so dmen they have on the Flyers and Phantoms.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 09:07 PM
PhilaFlyers

Hopefully he works out for us, Eminger's been bad.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Hopefully he works out for us, Eminger's been bad.
I thought Eminger was fine tonight.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 09:34 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I thought Eminger was fine tonight.
Limited ice time can make any player look okay. He did fine, but he didn't have to play the minutes. Sciba played more than he did and was on the ice for more goals against.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
Limited ice time can make any player look okay. He did fine, but he didn't have to play the minutes. Sciba played more than he did and was on the ice for more goals against.
Everyone looked fine when they were playing well. Everyone looked like crap for the few minutes they **** the bed and lost the game. Depends on when you watch him, I guess. I was deliberately watching for him and I didn't see him do anything out of place except take that interference penalty which hasn't been called all season until that point.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 10:02 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Does Alberts tend to block shots on the PK alot?

In the past when healthy - his best asset in the pk was his mobility.

He has a pretty good first step and is strong on the puck so he often got to the puck ahead of the opponent and was able to get it out.

He also has a long reach which helped.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Bodrovs Dog

The problem is we're a team full of 6th defensemen. Kukkonen, Eminger, Vaananen, Alberts. Even Jones isn't far removed from being a #6. Sbisa and Parent are more talented, but at their age shouldn't be relied on as more than third-pairing blueliners, either.

The problem is only exacerbated by Jones' and Parent's lengthy injuries. I don't think the team can sit around and hope Eminger is suddenly going to turn into a top 4 d-man. Maybe he's young enough where you can package him with a forward in order to acquire an established second-pairing rearguard.

Bodrovs Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I think it's kind of early to consider playing 7 d-men personally. I don't think we should sit Cote because of the energy he can bring to the team, and with players like Ross and Asham on the 4th line still trying to prove themselves, or possibly Downie playing on the 4th line to try to prove he should be playing at the NHL level, I don't think it'd be worth benching one of them to play a 7th d-man.

I've always been under the impression that you play 7 defensemen in desperate times, and I don't think these are desperate times.
Desperate times? They could come real soon. Check out our schedule for next 6 games.

Tue, Oct 14 @ Pittsburgh 7:30 PM (I hope we crash them tomorrow)
Thu, Oct 16 @ Colorado 9:00 PM
Sat, Oct 18 @ San Jose 10:30 PM
Wed, Oct 22 San Jose 7:00 PM
Fri, Oct 24 @ New Jersey 7:00 PM
Sat, Oct 25 New Jersey 7:00 PM

Flyers better start scoring a lot more on PP or somehow play better D as a team. I am betting on PP scoring.

I know, I know it's only been two games.

Old
10-14-2008, 08:25 AM
Flyers2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Sbisa should stay in over Kukkenon
absolutely 100%

Flyers2112 is offline   Reply With Quote