HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

When higgins comes back

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-13-2008, 12:38 PM
  #101
Rgolt
Registered User
 
Rgolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: montreal, qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Yeah because our defence is a huge problem right now.
agreed....our defence is rock solid and will only get better in years also when bouillion comes back brisebois will be out of the line up!!!!

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 12:45 PM
  #102
1UP
Registered User
 
1UP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,909
vCash: 500
Higgins can work well without Koivu. Lats, less so.

In my opinion, in the idea of making sure each line is evened out, I'd put Higgins with Lang. It's not like it's a huge demotion anyway

Also, playing with 2 passers that don't have much size and grit will allow Latendresse to understand his role more about how to use his body.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 12:46 PM
  #103
CareyClutch
Doing the job
 
CareyClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: North Korea
Posts: 4,942
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Yeah because our defence is a huge problem right now.
Im still not sold on O'byrne

CareyClutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:02 PM
  #104
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
Im still not sold on O'byrne
You're not sold on our #5/#6? Who cares?

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:44 PM
  #105
CareyClutch
Doing the job
 
CareyClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: North Korea
Posts: 4,942
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
You're not sold on our #5/#6? Who cares?
With everyone healthy he log top 4 minutes no?

CareyClutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:55 PM
  #106
Rgolt
Registered User
 
Rgolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: montreal, qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
You're not sold on our #5/#6? Who cares?
1st off hes our #4 and 2nd off reguarless of which number he is, he will still play at least 10 mins so i think a lot of us care

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:57 PM
  #107
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,594
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolt View Post
1st off hes our #4 and 2nd off reguarless of which number he is, he will still play at least 10 mins so i think a lot of us care
O'Byrne may play with Hamrlik, but he is NOT our #4 defencemen on the depth chart.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 02:01 PM
  #108
Rgolt
Registered User
 
Rgolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: montreal, qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
O'Byrne may play with Hamrlik, but he is NOT our #4 defencemen on the depth chart.
but he still gets #4 dman minutes because he plays with hamrlik whos #3......so obyrne and hamrlik get more minutes than bouiliion and gorges thus making obyrne the 4th dman

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 02:03 PM
  #109
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Higgins has a better shot than Lats, he plays with Koivu on the 2nd line. Lats should be down on the 3rd line. We have so much depth now that S. Kost is on the 3rd line when he is top 2 line material.
Lats is a better finisher/shot but Higgins is a better all around player.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 02:09 PM
  #110
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolt View Post
but he still gets #4 dman minutes because he plays with hamrlik whos #3......so obyrne and hamrlik get more minutes than bouiliion and gorges thus making obyrne the 4th dman
on 5 on 5 play when we are rolling 3 defence pairings yes he will get more time.

However Gorges will get more PK time than O'B and he'll be used late in periods in critical spots more than O'B will... so Gorges usually ends up with more minutes in total; especially in tight games.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 02:13 PM
  #111
Rgolt
Registered User
 
Rgolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: montreal, qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
on 5 on 5 play when we are rolling 3 defence pairings yes he will get more time.

However Gorges will get more PK time than O'B and he'll be used late in periods in critical spots more than O'B will... so Gorges usually ends up with more minutes in total; especially in tight games.
whatever point is all dman matter whether its ur 1st dman or ur last they all will play, thus making all dman important besides brisebois

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 02:17 PM
  #112
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Yeah because our defence is a huge problem right now.
Didn't the Leafs hit the post 4 times last game ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 02:18 PM
  #113
Rgolt
Registered User
 
Rgolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: montreal, qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
Didn't the Leafs hit the post 4 times last game ?
something like that

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 02:19 PM
  #114
JTWymanFan*
 
JTWymanFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bromont,Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
Didn't the Leafs hit the post 4 times last game ?
LOL not a strong arguement, posts mean nothing. We had 3 so ?

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 02:26 PM
  #115
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglove View Post
Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Tanguay - Koivu - Latendresse
Higgins - Lang - Kostitsyn
Kostopoulos - Chipchura - Laraque
bingo my friend, I hoped for that lineup all summer long... it just seems like its well balanced... moreso than having lats on the third with lang.

with that lineup, you take pressure off of higgins shoulders while putting him in a productive line still, and you give guillaume a chance to get the most out of his game....

1 GP ... trio records 10 pts.... it would be abselutely insane to put higgins back on that line, unless carbo decides that it would be a lack of respect towards higgins to put him on the 3rd line rightaway.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 02:34 PM
  #116
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
bingo my friend, I hoped for that lineup all summer long... it just seems like its well balanced... moreso than having lats on the third with lang.

with that lineup, you take pressure off of higgins shoulders while putting him in a productive line still, and you give guillaume a chance to get the most out of his game....

1 GP ... trio records 10 pts.... it would be abselutely insane to put higgins back on that line, unless carbo decides that it would be a lack of respect towards higgins to put him on the 3rd line rightaway.
forget the first , 2 nd and 3 th line concept .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:16 PM
  #117
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
with that lineup, you take pressure off of higgins shoulders while putting him in a productive line still, and you give guillaume a chance to get the most out of his game....
Chris Higgins is a 25 year old with three seasons under his belt.
Guillaume Latendresse is a 21 year old with two seasons under his belt.

Why in the bloody hell are you "giving a chance" to Gui to get the "most out of his game" and not Chris Higgins?

And it would be absolutely insane to take a guy with 33 NHL goals in his whole career and put him in a spot that was reserved for another kid (He's only 2 years older than me but in the NHL, he is a kid) who scored 27 goals in just his last season.

When Higgins comes back, the Koivu/Tanguay's line is only going to increase with production. And you know what? So will the Lang/Kostitsyn line.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:24 PM
  #118
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Chris Higgins is a 25 year old with three seasons under his belt.
Guillaume Latendresse is a 21 year old with two seasons under his belt.

Why in the bloody hell are you "giving a chance" to Gui to get the "most out of his game" and not Chris Higgins?

And it would be absolutely insane to take a guy with 33 NHL goals in his whole career and put him in a spot that was reserved for another kid (He's only 2 years older than me but in the NHL, he is a kid) who scored 27 goals in just his last season.

When Higgins comes back, the Koivu/Tanguay's line is only going to increase with production. And you know what? So will the Lang/Kostitsyn line.
Not that i agree or disagree with you about your point , but i just want to say that you are comparing 2 players that were playing in 2 different situations ; Higgins didn't score 27 goals on a 3th - 4th line , with a limited ice time , with linemates like Dandeneault and Kostopoulos , with close to no PP time .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:29 PM
  #119
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
Not that i agree or disagree with you about your point , but i just want to say that you are comparing 2 players that were playing in 2 different situations ; Higgins didn't score 27 goals on a 3th - 4th line , with a limited ice time , with linemates like Dandeneault and Kostopoulos , with close to no PP time .
Latendresse didn't score the majority of his goals with Dandenault, Smolinski and Kostopolous either. Goto canadiens.com and look over the games that Latendresse scored in. A lot of those goals were going onto the ice when Koivu, Markov, Kovalev, Plekanec, etc. were still on the ice.

Latendresse is a better player when he has better players with him, no question about it. But when Koivu and Higgins spend so much time working together during the season and in the pre-season, and Latendresse spends a lot of time on Lang's wing, its better to keep those combinations together until its clear they are not working.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:42 PM
  #120
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Latendresse is a better player when he has better players with him, no question about it. But when Koivu and Higgins spend so much time working together during the season and in the pre-season, and Latendresse spends a lot of time on Lang's wing, its better to keep those combinations together until its clear they are not working.
So, your point is that because Higgins and Koivu did 'OK' with each other the past few years, and Lang and Latendresse looked 'OK'(debatable) in preseason then they should be paired together?

That argument is stretched pretty thin. You go with the lines that makes the best team. As of right now, the line that combined for 10 points stays together.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:44 PM
  #121
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
That argument is stretched pretty thin. You go with the lines that makes the best team. As of right now, the line that combined for 10 points stays together.
Higgins is a better player than Latendresse.

Add Higgins to the number one powerplay and that line, its pretty believable, barring bad chemistry (which is doubtful), that the line is going to do even better.

Plus, we're talking about 10 points against the Leafs here. A little perspective, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
10 points for the line in 1 game...it's staying together for now.
THE ****ING LEAFS.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:45 PM
  #122
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,594
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Latendresse didn't score the majority of his goals with Dandenault, Smolinski and Kostopolous either. Goto canadiens.com and look over the games that Latendresse scored in. A lot of those goals were going onto the ice when Koivu, Markov, Kovalev, Plekanec, etc. were still on the ice.

Latendresse is a better player when he has better players with him, no question about it. But when Koivu and Higgins spend so much time working together during the season and in the pre-season, and Latendresse spends a lot of time on Lang's wing, its better to keep those combinations together until its clear they are not working.
It is clear that Latendresse works well with Koivu.
He has produced with him since he made the team.
10 points for the line in 1 game...it's staying together for now.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:54 PM
  #123
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Chris Higgins is a 25 year old with three seasons under his belt.
Guillaume Latendresse is a 21 year old with two seasons under his belt.

Why in the bloody hell are you "giving a chance" to Gui to get the "most out of his game" and not Chris Higgins?

And it would be absolutely insane to take a guy with 33 NHL goals in his whole career and put him in a spot that was reserved for another kid (He's only 2 years older than me but in the NHL, he is a kid) who scored 27 goals in just his last season.

When Higgins comes back, the Koivu/Tanguay's line is only going to increase with production. And you know what? So will the Lang/Kostitsyn line.
to me, its all about getting the best out of each player...

and in my humble opinion, latendresse has a far better finish than higgins.... not even close.if you are to have koivu and tanguay to play on the same line, you need a guy that can finish the plays... lats played 11 min last game and recorded 1 g , 2 a. Its just one bloody game, but the instant chemistry those 3 had last game needs to be exploited ...

higgins is fast, with good hands and an eye for goals... an exellent puck carrier... exactly the kind of guy you need beside a robert lang and a s.kos.

I honestly think its a better fit for both lines...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 05:02 PM
  #124
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
to me, its all about getting the best out of each player...

and in my humble opinion, latendresse has a far better finish than higgins.... not even close.if you are to have koivu and tanguay to play on the same line, you need a guy that can finish the plays... lats played 11 min last game and recorded 1 g , 2 a. Its just one bloody game, but the instant chemistry those 3 had last game needs to be exploited ...

higgins is fast, with good hands and an eye for goals... an exellent puck carrier... exactly the kind of guy you need beside a robert lang and a s.kos.

I honestly think its a better fit for both lines...
I agree and that is without going into the fact that Tanguay looks better on the Left side than on the Right side.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 05:37 PM
  #125
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Latendresse didn't score the majority of his goals with Dandenault, Smolinski and Kostopolous either. Goto canadiens.com and look over the games that Latendresse scored in. A lot of those goals were going onto the ice when Koivu, Markov, Kovalev, Plekanec, etc. were still on the ice.

Latendresse is a better player when he has better players with him, no question about it. But when Koivu and Higgins spend so much time working together during the season and in the pre-season, and Latendresse spends a lot of time on Lang's wing, its better to keep those combinations together until its clear they are not working.
The argument works also on the other way ; If Latendresse would have played all the season with the top players , he would have had a lot more goals than the 16 he got . Maybe it would have been more than the 27 goals of Higgins .

And i am going to say something againts the general beleif ; i don't think that Higgins and Koivu are working so welll together . If you look at their productions last season , you will see that they needed the PP to get their points , but were ineffective most of the time at ES . Higgins was more productive when he was playing with AKos and Plekanec the previous season . I think that Koivu- Latendresse worked as much as Koivu-Higgins . I would like to know the players Koivu would select to play with him . I wouldn't surprised to see Latendresse on his short list , even more now that he's faster


Last edited by goalchenyuk: 10-13-2008 at 05:44 PM.
goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.