HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

After Three games, who's your suprise player ..?

Old
10-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

vCash: 500
It's a question of expectations for me. For example, I found Tanguay and SKost have played well but I expect them to play well. So there's no surprise.

I was happy with the Lang transaction but I had comparatively lower expectations from him. It's still very early but he's fit better into the Habs system than I imagined. I guess he's surprised me the most.

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 10-12-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:27 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
I have to agree, Sergei looks amazing this year. At this point it really looks like he's going to be the better player among the two brothers. That's not a knock on Andrei, I just see so much potential for Sergei.
I respect your opinion and its pretty valid since Sergei has been amazing in the last 2 game but Andrei is Andrei, a real hockey machine, he has everything to become a NHL all star, no pt for the moment but Im not worried a second, I still think he will score 40 this year..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:27 PM
WeezyHabFan

Im not going to lie... i was a lats hater.. but seeing him so far this year, I have been converted to a lover very impressed with his play! and i would also say Sergei but iv had a man crush on him for awhile and i knew hed b awesome again this year

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Pascal

I'll let you know in 20 games or so..

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Maliki2

I'd say Tang....Lang and Josh....

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:45 PM
JTWymanFan*

Guiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !!

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I dont think latendresse has been all that surprising. We all know he can pass if he has time. We all know he has a nice shot if he has time to get it off.

What I want to see him do better is handle the puck better in transition instead of treating it like a hot potato. Also, like most big men, there's always the consistency issue.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 02:25 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I dont think latendresse has been all that surprising. We all know he can pass if he has time. We all know he has a nice shot if he has time to get it off.

What I want to see him do better is handle the puck better in transition instead of treating it like a hot potato. Also, like most big men, there's always the consistency issue.

It's a personal opinion, and we most definitly won't all be in agreement on who has surprised us in our own personal views. Mine is Guiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !!

He skates with more assurance and is using his body the way I was hoping he would, he has also surprised me with his vision and passing.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
But where has been AK46?
From what I've seen, he has been skating hard, hitting hard, working the corners/boards, created a few chances, drawing penalties. He isn't doing the highlight reel stuff yet, the production isn't there yet, but the effort certainly is. He isn't at his best yet, but show me a season he has had in N. America where he hit the ground running. The difference is, in previous seasons, he wasn't always a factor in early games, this season he is doing things that help the team. Of course, that first game he was a bit quiet, but he barely saw the puck in it. Against Toronto, he forced a Dman to make a great play to stop him from having a great scoring chance, he forced Grabovski to take a penalty when he drove to the net, and he has made some decent passes and done some leg work for his linemates. The best is clearly yet to come, he can do much more, but he has still contributed to the team in the opening two games IMO. He hasn't been the most standout player, but he has had an impact for us.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 05:36 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
From what I've seen, he has been skating hard, hitting hard, working the corners/boards, created a few chances, drawing penalties. He isn't doing the highlight reel stuff yet, the production isn't there yet, but the effort certainly is. He isn't at his best yet, but show me a season he has had in N. America where he hit the ground running. The difference is, in previous seasons, he wasn't always a factor in early games, this season he is doing things that help the team. Of course, that first game he was a bit quiet, but he barely saw the puck in it. Against Toronto, he forced a Dman to make a great play to stop him from having a great scoring chance, he forced Grabovski to take a penalty when he drove to the net, and he has made some decent passes and done some leg work for his linemates. The best is clearly yet to come, he can do much more, but he has still contributed to the team in the opening two games IMO. He hasn't been the most standout player, but he has had an impact for us.
I agree he's been paying really good in all aspects of the game he's matured a lot as a player.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 05:40 PM
JrHockeyFan

I've seen a lot of SK including Jr. Offensively he is playing the same style of play that he used in Jr. He relies more on the hard wrist shot. He is a deadly accurate, but hard passer. Of course he has improved those skills but he is the same essentially.

His biggest improvement carried over from his last year of Jr and first year of pro is his defensive play. He is very responsible and does a good job on the PK. If I am surprised about anything it is that. It was smart to keep him that extra year in Jr. I think it got him into the frame of mind that carbo wanted two way players, so he worked on that. He has really improved that aspect of his game. Nice work sergei. But nice to know the guy can help to score too.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 07:10 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I've seen a lot of SK including Jr. Offensively he is playing the same style of play that he used in Jr. He relies more on the hard wrist shot. He is a deadly accurate, but hard passer. Of course he has improved those skills but he is the same essentially.

His biggest improvement carried over from his last year of Jr and first year of pro is his defensive play. He is very responsible and does a good job on the PK. If I am surprised about anything it is that. It was smart to keep him that extra year in Jr. I think it got him into the frame of mind that carbo wanted two way players, so he worked on that. He has really improved that aspect of his game. Nice work sergei. But nice to know the guy can help to score too.
I find myself hesitant to gush over the kid too much maybe because I see so much intinctive ability. He lacks the physical gifts his brother has in some respects but he has such a good instinct for the game. I just want to see him doing afew things in terms of heading into traffic for pucks inside the arcs. I'd hate for him to be satisfied piling up points from the outside. He has a chance to be more than that and I hope he keeps getting better.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
We still have people saying he played a bad game last night in other threads.
Oh I know. People have already convinced themselves that Lats could never do much of anything this year.

Where's Passchendouche btw? His expert analysis & classiness is needed on this board.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 07:28 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I find myself hesitant to gush over the kid too much maybe because I see so much intinctive ability. He lacks the physical gifts his brother has in some respects but he has such a good instinct for the game. I just want to see him doing afew things in terms of heading into traffic for pucks inside the arcs. I'd hate for him to be satisfied piling up points from the outside. He has a chance to be more than that and I hope he keeps getting better.
I'd have to agree that instinctive play is what he depends upon. He is not afraid of getting into traffic which shows up in the fact that he has 6 hits only behind Komi's 11 for the Habs. But he is not a crease crasher, never has been and I'm not sure he ever will be. You are more likely to see a shot or a pass

Anyway i am still surprised by the defensive side. there were folks in Jr who knocked sergei and sam and pat for totally ignoring defense. Well that was never true, but you don't want scorers to spend too much time in a checking role either. But out of those three guys Sergei has played the D side best in the bigs

Old
10-12-2008, 07:34 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I'd have to agree that instinctive play is what he depends upon. He is not afraid of getting into traffic which shows up in the fact that he has 6 hits only behind Komi's 11 for the Habs. But he is not a crease crasher, never has been and I'm not sure he ever will be. You are more likely to see a shot or a pass

Anyway i am still surprised by the defensive side. there were folks in Jr who knocked sergei and sam and pat for totally ignoring defense. Well that was never true, but you don't want scorers to spend too much time in a checking role either. But out of those three guys Sergei has played the D side best in the bigs
I think he can easily be a Ray Whitney type of player, where he can be productive for a long time. He has the skills and the cleverness, but with his penchant for getting his nose dirty and getting in faces now and then, I suspect he can be a bit more than that. His upside might be high enough that I hope Muller or Kovalev or whoever is charged with staying on the kid, does so.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:31 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
I think he can easily be a Ray Whitney type of player, where he can be productive for a long time. He has the skills and the cleverness, but with his penchant for getting his nose dirty and getting in faces now and then, I suspect he can be a bit more than that. His upside might be high enough that I hope Muller or Kovalev or whoever is charged with staying on the kid, does so.
I can go with that. It makes me happy that the kid has been smart enough to do exactly what carbo expects. Guys who listen to the coach and do what they want tend to stick around a while

Another guy who is playing much better is Lats. He is hustling and getting to the puck more, where he used to just wait for it to come to him. I am still not sure i like seeing him with Koivu and Tanguay. But he is playing better none-the -less

Old
10-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
I respect your opinion and its pretty valid since Sergei has been amazing in the last 2 game but Andrei is Andrei, a real hockey machine, he has everything to become a NHL all star, no pt for the moment but Im not worried a second, I still think he will score 40 this year..
i love akost also and think he will defs become an all star but scoring 40 for this year i think is a bit unrealistic maybe in 2 or 3 years but remember hes still quite young

Quote:
who are we talking about?

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-12-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Kosti46

Sergei Kostitsyn. He was dominating in the Leafs game. Passing, Shooting, being in the right position, vision, defence. Killing penalties. A+ work on the PP. 7 shots. Doing it all. Awesome !

Keep up the good work Sergei.

Kosti46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 06:54 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosti46 View Post
Sergei Kostitsyn. He was dominating in the Leafs game. Passing, Shooting, being in the right position, vision, defence. Killing penalties. A+ work on the PP. 7 shots. Doing it all. Awesome !

Keep up the good work Sergei.

He gave me a patented "Sergasm" last game.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-13-2008 at 08:52 AM.
WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 04:59 PM
mrCoffea*

How can anyone be impressed with Latendresse? It's as if people are desperately trying to find positive things to say about him to justify him being on the team. He ****ed up many times against the Leafs, especially when it was just him and Koivu in front of Toskala. Any positive thing he did could have been done by any competent player in his same position. Against the Sabres he didn't do jack ****.
Congratulations, you helped score points against one of the worst teams in the league. How about he does something positive when the team actually needs him for a change. He's one of the least clutch players we have yet everyone is ready to call him our MVP when he actually produces something. And then you hear the same old excuses "he's only developing, give him time, he scored 16 goals at 20 years old" and any variation of that

Max Pac is everything Latendresse should have been, and I can't wait for the day when he takes Guillaume's place on the roster. The day Latendresse isn't a Canadiens player is the day the team has a better chance of going places. You can't give a guy a chance forever hoping he becomes something he'll obviously never become

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
How can anyone be impressed with Latendresse? It's as if people are desperately trying to find positive things to say about him to justify him being on the team. He ****ed up many times against the Leafs, especially when it was just him and Koivu in front of Toskala. Any positive thing he did could have been done by any competent player in his same position. Against the Sabres he didn't do jack ****.
Watch the replay again... Koivu's pass was intercepted by toskala... Lats never even got his stick on the puck... but he ****ed up?? Sure.

1g 2a.... 11:29 in ice time..... Thats a pretty good game for any player in the league.

Its as if you are desperately trying to find negative things to say about him to justify your opinion that he shouldn't be on the team.

Quote:
Congratulations, you helped score points against one of the worst teams in the league. How about he does something positive when the team actually needs him for a change. He's one of the least clutch players we have yet everyone is ready to call him our MVP when he actually produces something. And then you hear the same old excuses "he's only developing, give him time, he scored 16 goals at 20 years old" and any variation of that

Max Pac is everything Latendresse should have been, and I can't wait for the day when he takes Guillaume's place on the roster. The day Latendresse isn't a Canadiens player is the day the team has a better chance of going places. You can't give a guy a chance forever hoping he becomes something he'll obviously never become

Hes 21... and why is this a competition between the two. MaxPac isn't ready... when he is he'll get a spot... god forbid we have two big Powerforwards who can score... why does it have to be one in and one out.

Honestly

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-13-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:

Can we trade you to the Coyotes Boards for a 7th rounder?

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 05:34 PM
znk

Quote:

I stopped reading right there.

The least you could do is watch the god damn game before comming and posting here.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 06:42 PM
mrCoffea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Watch the replay again... Koivu's pass was intercepted by toskala... Lats never even got his stick on the puck... but he ****ed up?? Sure.

1g 2a.... 11:29 in ice time..... Thats a pretty good game for any player in the league.

Its as if you are desperately trying to find negative things to say about him to justify your opinion that he shouldn't be on the team.

Hes 21... and why is this a competition between the two. MaxPac isn't ready... when he is he'll get a spot... god forbid we have two big Powerforwards who can score... why does it have to be one in and one out.

Honestly
Except for the fact that Latendresse can't score anything but crappy tap ins when he's gifted a goal

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:

You left these in the thread. Take them with you.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote