HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dubinsky = next captain

Old
10-13-2008, 11:19 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
That I think is a fair projection.

As for lines, that's hard to project because I don't think it has the same meaning it did 20 or even 10 years ago. So much nowadays is based less on "ceiling" and more about balance and finding the right combinations.

Chris Drury isn't a "first line" player but he's there for chemistry reasons.

Having said that, I think Dubinsky could be a 30 goal, 70 point player. Though I don't know what line that will put him on.

His overall game has changed a lot since he was drafted. He was a kid I really liked as a 17 year old, but he's grown so much that his entire projection has changed.

When he was 5'11, 185 he reminded me more of Marc Savard at the same age. But at 6'1, 210 he reminds me of a poor man's Messier now.
Which is why I disagree with you about him not being a future captain. Everything about him these days, IMO, screams future captain, from the way he carries himself, to the way he approaches his teammates, to how he handles the press. I keep thinking he's the Rangers' version of Rod Brind'Amour...and, he keeps proving to me that I'm right.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 11:20 PM
levski87

Quote:
That I think is a fair projection.

As for lines, that's hard to project because I don't think it has the same meaning it did 20 or even 10 years ago. So much nowadays is based less on "ceiling" and more about balance and finding the right combinations.

Chris Drury isn't a "first line" player but he's there for chemistry reasons.

Having said that, I think Dubinsky could be a 30 goal, 70 point player. Though I don't know what line that will put him on.

His overall game has changed a lot since he was drafted. He was a kid I really liked as a 17 year old, but he's grown so much that his entire projection has changed.

When he was 5'11, 185 he reminded me more of Marc Savard at the same age. But at 6'1, 210 he reminds me of a poor man's Messier now.

Chris Drury is a 3rd line center. We could have signed Hossa for the amount of money we gave Drury. Aye.. still bitter about this.. But yea, Dubinsky holds his own. 40 goal scorer is to much guys. I give him to have about 25 goals, 35 assists.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 11:23 PM
JBytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Forever View Post
I just saw him fight Mike Richards and it reminded me of Mess back in the day, boy this kid is gonna be special
That kid is already special. I hope they keep him in the organisation long enough to become captain.

JBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Which is why I disagree with you about him not being a future captain. Everything about him these days, IMO, screams future captain, from the way he carries himself, to the way he approaches his teammates, to how he handles the press. I keep thinking he's the Rangers' version of Rod Brind'Amour...and, he keeps proving to me that I'm right.
While he might someday be captain (still think are players ahead of him on that list), I just don't think we can put him in the Messier or even Brindamour mold.

Those guys are special kinds of leaders.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but we always seem to get ahead of ourselves on these boards when things are going right. I like Dubinsky, have since before the Rangers drafted him, he was my sleeper for that Rangers draft class.

But I think he is a very good player, not quite the elite level we're putting him (both on ice and off).

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 11:29 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Chris Drury is a 3rd line center. We could have signed Hossa for the amount of money we gave Drury.
umm, no?

10-13-2008, 11:30 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
While he might someday be captain (still think are players ahead of him on that list), I just don't think we can put him in the Messier or even Brindamour mold.

Those guys are special kinds of leaders.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but we always seem to get ahead of ourselves on these boards when things are going right. I like Dubinsky, have since before the Rangers drafted him, he was my sleeper for that Rangers draft class.

But I think he is a very good player, not quite the elite level we're putting him (both on ice and off).
I'm not saying elite...although I do think he's got a special quality about him...I think he's captain material, though.

Old
10-13-2008, 11:34 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
Gotcha. I saw a photo recently of the Oilers showing off their new 3rd jerseys and 4 people had 'A's on their chests. Guess you can only have two in a game though. Thanks for the info!
yeah, some teams rotate two A's for home games and two for road games

-31- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Edge

Quote:
I'm not saying elite...although I do think he's got a special quality about him...I think he's captain material, though.
I have a gut feeling the future captain is Staal.

I could see Dubinsky wearing an "A". Plenty of players have worn the A proudly.

Old
10-13-2008, 11:39 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I have a gut feeling the future captain is Staal.

I could see Dubinsky wearing an "A". Plenty of players have worn the A proudly.
A year ago, I would have agreed with you. But, Dubi just seems to be upfront with his leadership. Staal seems to be cut from the same mold as Leetch was - quiet, unassuming, non-vocal...but, just lay it on the line with his play. Dubinsky looks like the "in-your-face", score a goal, deliver a hit, get in a fight, yell at the opposition and challenge your teammates type a guy...Messier with a little Graves thrown in. And, Graves is the person who believes Dubi has it in him to be a star...according to Graves, Dubinsky is willing to work for it.

Old
10-13-2008, 11:44 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

Quote:
Staal seems to be cut from the same mold as Leetch was - quiet, unassuming, non-vocal...but, just lay it on the line with his play.
or Drury?

-31- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 12:12 AM
Edge

Quote:
A year ago, I would have agreed with you. But, Dubi just seems to be upfront with his leadership. Staal seems to be cut from the same mold as Leetch was - quiet, unassuming, non-vocal...but, just lay it on the line with his play. Dubinsky looks like the "in-your-face", score a goal, deliver a hit, get in a fight, yell at the opposition and challenge your teammates type a guy...Messier with a little Graves thrown in. And, Graves is the person who believes Dubi has it in him to be a star...according to Graves, Dubinsky is willing to work for it.
Sorry, just don't see it my friend.

Dubi seems like a character. A definate extravert, but I think we're confusing "personality" with "leadership" and I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

Dubi seems like the type who'll keep the room loose, tell a joke, plan the night out on the town. But I just don't know if I see the sure-fire captain material.

I can see him being one of the leaders, but THE leader? I just don't see it yet.

Old
10-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Dubi's one of the leaders now. Though He isn't captain material right now. As far as development, I honestly don't see Dubi tailing off for a while and over that time he's gonna learn how to be the man. Don't underestimate the different perspectives from great players he's played with. He's had a chance to learn from Jagr's pure skill swagger and now Drury's details.

We'll see..

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 12:47 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Sorry, just don't see it my friend.

Dubi seems like a character. A definate extravert, but I think we're confusing "personality" with "leadership" and I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

Dubi seems like the type who'll keep the room loose, tell a joke, plan the night out on the town. But I just don't know if I see the sure-fire captain material.

I can see him being one of the leaders, but THE leader? I just don't see it yet.
i agree, but while i don't see him as ready to be THE leader yet, i can see leadership in him. look at the richards fight, or any of the other fights he's been in, just refusing to back down, even if it's against a big son of a ***** like komisarek. and if someone cheao shotted zherdev or gomez or something, i have little doubt dubi would be the first one to go after that guy and try to beat the living hell out of him. THAT is definitely a form of leadership, in that people can look at it and say "that guy respects us, and he respects this team, and he will do everything to win."

at the same time, though, i could def. see staal as a quiet, steady leader, a la drury...

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Lutzinho

i'm really high on dubinsky... if he stays long enough in NY he will be your captain one dayfor sure. and in a few years he will be capable to be a 90+point player every year, imo.

Lutzinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:56 AM
SML

Quote:
I agree about your Leetch/Staal comparison. Staal doesn't ever seem to be in front of the camera. His play could be overlooked unless you watched him on a nightly basis. Dubinsky is very hard not to notice lately. I was thrilled with his game lately, loved him stepping up and challenging Richards. That says alot to me. Granted Dubi is a bit bigger than Richards, but the point is the kid stepped up and challenged the Flyers captain at center ice on opening night in Philly. I also like how he stepped to Colin White last night also. Of course, White can't fight anymore, but the point is clear. He's becoming a heck of a player right before our eyes.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 09:14 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

He is your Morrow, your Iginla, your Doan.

"Next Messier" is a bit much.....but Morrow or Iginla? I think you would take that.

10-14-2008, 09:21 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
He is your Morrow, your Iginla, your Doan.

"Next Messier" is a bit much.....but Morrow or Iginla? I think you would take that.
In all fairness, they said "Poor man's Messier"

His hockey playing really did go up really quickly. I remember seeing him at the start of last season and noone thinking much of him. Then come mid season, and hearing he would center Jagr, it was more of a "what the?...". In hindsight, that was a really great decision by Renney. Let's just hope he still has room to grow and takes a hometown discount!

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Rags225

I forgot what website I was looking at but there is a great picture of Dubi, consoling Zherdev before the game yesterday.

Edit: It was prospect park.

http://theprospectpark.blogspot.com/

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 09:33 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I forgot what website I was looking at but there is a great picture of Dubi, consoling Zherdev before the game yesterday.

Edit: It was prospect park.

http://theprospectpark.blogspot.com/
....that speaks volumes.

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Fletch

jas..

I think what we're seeing in Dubi which makes us think Captain is a guy who's carrying this team offensively and leading a line that's caused this team to go 5-0. Also, we're seeing him more because he is the centerpoint of this team at this moment because of his success centering that line and there's no mistake who's leading that line. Whether him being more visible is making some start to believe he's the future captain, I just don't know at this point, but I think this is a subject that should be tabled for a bit and revisited midway through the season.

As for Staal - he may come into his own. He has one pro season under his belt. He still needs to get more comfortable with everything and we'll see where he comes out. He does seem to have a quiet demeanor, but again, I'd imagine he wasn't as quiet in juniors. Heck, this kid wasn't allowed in the bars with his teammates until midway through last season - so we should let him blossom a bit.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 09:52 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Well we're also seeing a player who's going out of his way to get close to his teammates, a guy who as we saw consoling his teammate after a tragedy. That's something captains are made of. Not just a captain, but a great person. Even when you hear him talk in the media, the guy's got a good head on his shoulders, and I can't wait to see him lead this team in the future.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Fletch

Pru...

I won't go overboard here and say he's going out of his way to get close to his teammates. You should get close to your teammates and linemates - that shouldn't be considered going out of your way. It was a nice jesture seeing him go up to Zherdev, but to be honest, it's human nature. If a guy I work with is down, I'll go into his office to see what's up and help the situation. It's great to see, but since I do it all the time, I tend not to think much of it and just think it's normal. Sorry if I'm diminishing the act, since as mentioned it's nice to see teammates helping each other and getting close, but I don't attach a captain's label to those acts.

I do agree with everything else. I especially like that he avoided politics when Palin was brought into conversation; perhaps taking a cue from Gomez who refused to say anything except he likes seeing fellow Alaskans doing well.

Old
10-14-2008, 10:10 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I won't go overboard here and say he's going out of his way to get close to his teammates. You should get close to your teammates and linemates - that shouldn't be considered going out of your way. It was a nice jesture seeing him go up to Zherdev, but to be honest, it's human nature. If a guy I work with is down, I'll go into his office to see what's up and help the situation. It's great to see, but since I do it all the time, I tend not to think much of it and just think it's normal. Sorry if I'm diminishing the act, since as mentioned it's nice to see teammates helping each other and getting close, but I don't attach a captain's label to those acts.

I do agree with everything else. I especially like that he avoided politics when Palin was brought into conversation; perhaps taking a cue from Gomez who refused to say anything except he likes seeing fellow Alaskans doing well.
OK, I won't say go out of his way, but you don't often see a guy becoming great friends with the new guy who doesn't speak the language well and such like he's doing, at least you don't tend to hear about it often.

Old
10-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Fletch

I agree with that...

although often it's due to the non-English speaker being a bit shy because he is surrounded by guys speaking English and he's not comfortable. Credit Zherdev a bit too in this case.

Old
10-14-2008, 10:18 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
although often it's due to the non-English speaker being a bit shy because he is surrounded by guys speaking English and he's not comfortable. Credit Zherdev a bit too in this case.
Agreed, but then again, you don't really see other guys on the team doing what Dubinsky is doing. I think there's a difference in just becoming friends with a guy on the team and taking that extra step. I don't know if he's the same with everyone else on the team, but from the way he carries himself I would think so.

I'm not going to call Dubinsky the next Adam Graves, but it would be nice as those kinds of players don't come around too often.