Notices

Karia And Selanne Thrashers?

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2004, 01:19 PM
MightyAdam

vCash: 500
Karia And Selanne Thrashers?

The thrashers have all that it takes to be an elite team like the Avalanche. Plus, they have an all star goalie now. The Avs goalie is nowhere near as good as the Thrashers. Not to mention they have the new Chara plus still have Cowan. They should defintely make a push for the playoffs this coming year, especially with an all star goalie in front of him. He has not lost a game in the NHL yet. He won his first and only 4 games so far in the NHL. I can see winning his 1st 4 in the beginning of the season when everybody is still a little rusty. But to come in the end of the season, and be able to stop goals from NHL snipers who have shaken off all of the rust from the start of the season, that is pretty impressive. Imagine how well of a start the Thrashers can possibly have. Plus Dany is back to his old self. Who would have expected that? I used to read that people didn't believe he would ever be as good as he was again. He sure proved them wrong. Was it even a year before he came back? And I think he was the leading goal scorer for the Canadiens when they just won. Pretty impressive. Colorado used to win because they had Sacic and Forsberg. Dany & Ilya are younger versions of them, and better. Now imagine have twice that. If the Thrashers want to be sure to get into the playoffs, and Karia and Selanne want to go to a team that had one of the best offenses last year, they should defintely go to the Thrashers. That way, they can play on the second line, and the Thrashers will no longer have to split up Dany & Ilya on two different lines to have the team better. How dangerous would it be to have Dany & Ilya on the same line, for a whole season? They would probably have as good as chemisty as Karia and Selanne. Talk about the best offense in the world. DANG!!! Coaches from other teams wouldn't know which line would be scarier, the Karia and Selanne line or the Dany & Ilya line. Not to mention, the remainding players from the 1st and 2nd line of last years team for the Thrashers can be moved down to the third line to make arguably the best third line in the NHL. And ones who were on the 3rd line last year can be moved down to the 4th line to make arguably the NHL's best 4th line. Plus, they just got Havelid who is a pretty awesome player and who played in Anheim with Karia, when they made it to the finals. This team could be very unstoppable. OK, want to add another player who would make this team unbeatable? Add Eric Daze. Just check out his Bio on NHL.com. This team would in one summers offseason have become the NHL's best team.

Old
06-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Did you watch the Avalanche this year, especially Selanne?

I sure hope the Thrashers aren't impulsive enough to go for that one. I also doubt Kariya will be willing to take below the league average again, since he only did it to get a big payoff this year. If the Thrashers do this, all they will accomplish is a huge budget and maybe a first round loss.

Old
06-29-2004, 03:04 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav
Did you watch the Avalanche this year, especially Selanne?
Evidently he didn't. I don't know if it was lack of coaching (I'm not sold on Granato) but I was expecting huge, huge numbers out of Denver. Kariya was always hurt, and Selanne just doesn't look like Selanne anymore. I wonder if the older he gets the more the Achilles injury he had during his second season is robbing him of his wheels...

Anyhoot, I don't see any team going overboard to signing either of these knuckleheads. I wouldn't be surprised him Selanne actually stays in Europe...lockout or not.

Old
06-29-2004, 03:50 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

I think Granato deserves part of the blame for Selanne since he was on the third line a lot, but just a little bit because Selanne played his way down to that line.

I just think the Thrashers should stay away from Selanne unless he is willing to take a drastic paycut. And no offense to the Thrashers, I like them a lot, but I don't see why Selanne would go to a young team still trying to make the playoffs for less money. Usually older players like that want to go to a place they're more likely to win at. Especially with a pay cut.

Old
06-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Section119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav
I just think the Thrashers should stay away from Selanne
PERIOD!

Old
06-29-2004, 05:27 PM
f1nn

Send a message via AIM to f1nn
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
Evidently he didn't. I don't know if it was lack of coaching (I'm not sold on Granato) but I was expecting huge, huge numbers out of Denver. Kariya was always hurt, and Selanne just doesn't look like Selanne anymore. I wonder if the older he gets the more the Achilles injury he had during his second season is robbing him of his wheels...

Anyhoot, I don't see any team going overboard to signing either of these knuckleheads. I wouldn't be surprised him Selanne actually stays in Europe...lockout or not.

Selanne did bad because he was no longer the go to guy in Colorado as he has been his whole career... I think him and Karyia on the thrashers is a great idea... the team gets better and Selanne and Karyia have a chance to finally win...
Imagine what the Thrash would look like....

first two offensive lines

Kovalchuk-Karyia-Selanne
Kozlov-Savard-Heatley

first two defense pairings

Kaberle-Sutton
Tjarnqvist-Majesky

Goalies

Lehtonen
Nurminen

Old
06-29-2004, 05:32 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I'd worry about getting a center before adding two high priced wingers. Stefan can't cut top line duties, and if Savard can't stay healthy, then neither can he. Plus Karia does not, and never has played center.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:33 PM
futurcorerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Selanne did bad because he was no longer the go to guy in Colorado as he has been his whole career... I think him and Karyia on the thrashers is a great idea... the team gets better and Selanne and Karyia have a chance to finally win...
Yup - Selanne just became some other guy on the team. I think Peter Worrell got more press than him.

Old
06-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Ender

Right now I wouldn't touch Selanne with a 10 foot pole. He is no longer the player he used to be, Sutter ruined him during his time in SJ. The only way he is effective is as a two way player, and still he would only put up around 60 points. And I'm not convinced that Karyia is still great, he is a good 55-65 pointer, but I'm not sure if he will be able to go back to his point per game seasons.

Old
06-29-2004, 09:13 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

No thanks..

Old
06-30-2004, 08:20 AM
The Sneak

I'd take either one of them quite frankly. I wouldn't pay a premium, but looking at our roster I'm not seeing too many 60 point wingers not named Kovalchuk or Heatley. If you're looking at last year's stat sheet I don't even see Heatley. Kozlov and McEachern are another year older, and I don't believe Captain Mac merits automatic top two line consideration. If you could get a Selanne of Kariya at a comfortable price, I would jump at it immediately. Would you rather Vigier? Blatny?

Old
06-30-2004, 09:31 AM
dunwoody_joe

I have mixed feelings really.

Selanne would be a nice addition at wing--how can you not jump at getting him if available at the right price. Kozlov and Mac are getting older.

On the other hand, I just wonder what Selanne might do to the psyche of the younger guys. He's not the kind of player that DW seems to covet. Plus, what's the likelihood of getting him at a reasonable price?

Unless he's a screaming bargain, I'd take a pass.

Old
06-30-2004, 12:03 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Atlanta Thrashers team like Colorado Avalanche best joke what i have ever heard!

Old
06-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Just Kidding

I like little bit thrashers because they play offensive hockey like Colorado Avalanche BUT i hope Kariya will stay "home" denver!

Old
06-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Blatny Spears

I @gree fr@nkly quite. @tl@nt@ still long w@ys to go before te@m like @vs become.

Old
06-30-2004, 12:18 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatny Spears
I @gree fr@nkly quite. @tl@nt@ still long w@ys to go before te@m like @vs become.
Hey, it's Yod@!

Old
06-30-2004, 12:19 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatny Spears
hehe

Yep agree!
Atlanta already have two great attackers Heatley,Kovalchuk(He need to start play defensive too) so u only need 2 good defenseman! like Avs Foote,Blake,Sakic,Hejduk,Tanguay!

But Atlanta has very GOOD GOALIES!
I have seen Kari Lehtonen playing and i know he's GOOD and he will be great for u!
Avs goalies Sauve,AEbischer.. Aebi is ok but Sauve Struggled MUCH!

Old
06-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Colorado Avalanche

hehe! Atlanta thrashers fans are pretty fun

Old
06-30-2004, 03:54 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Color@do @v@l@nche
so u only need 2 good defenseman! like Avs Foote,Blake,Sakic,Hejduk,Tanguay!
You're right about that. Sakic, Hejduk, and Tanguay are three of the most underrated defensemen in the league.

Old
06-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Pulfy14

also they want to go to a cup contending team soo... i dont think they'd go to Atlanta.

Old
06-30-2004, 04:30 PM
VAThrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs_fan1001
also they want to go to a cup contending team soo... i dont think they'd go to Atlanta.
Or Toronto. Maybe the Lightning or Philly, however.

Old
06-30-2004, 04:43 PM
f1nn

Send a message via AIM to f1nn
I think they seem more like western conference players... dunno why just think they do...

Old
06-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Lehtonen is far from allstar calibar. He's gotta first play a few NHL games, hell a few NHL seasons. A 19 yr old i highly doubt is gonna come in here, be completely stellar, win 40+ games, and be a complete horse in the playoffs.... Its likely, but next year? doubtful, atlanta is still a few years away from being a true legit contender. When Coburn and Valabik are into the fold, Slater and a few more scoring forwards are also throw into the fold, then you can possibly talk about them being a contender. But i stil think that Lehtonen needs 2-3 years in the NHL in order to be a legit top 10 goalie.

Old
06-30-2004, 10:12 PM
StevenintheATL

Of course, the biggest issue here is how much money is Atlanta Spirit willing to shell out this offseason for free agents? Maybe they'll be willing to take a risk on someone like Jason Allison, or get bold and make a play for Zhamnov. I hope that they don't decide to be like other clubs this offseason and not make any major signings. I hope they do open up the checkbook and sign some quality free agents, unlike the years under the Time-Warner/AOL-Time Warner reign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyAdam
Not to mention they have the new Chara plus still have Cowan.
Cowan was traded to LA last season, where have you been?

Old
07-01-2004, 02:56 PM
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
I'd worry about getting a center before adding two high priced wingers. Stefan can't cut top line duties, and if Savard can't stay healthy, then neither can he. Plus Karia does not, and never has played center.
I agree with this opinion. I'm not sure that Stefan can't cut 2nd line duty, but he seems well suited for third. There is nothing wrong with having a third line center that is a little overskilled versus a second line center that is underskilled.

That said, I would look for one of Zhamnov or Nylander to bolster your top two lines. Neither guy is a top rate center in the NHL, but if you could sign them for a decent short term salary, it would immediatly strengthen the team. Of course, there are always dreamers amongst us, so I'll also mention that Demitra is a UFA.

Closed Thread