HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

4th Dman

Old
10-03-2008, 04:54 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
I don't see why anyone thinks O'Byrne is the #4. He's playing on the second pairing because that's where he's best suited. Gorges will get plenty more ice-time than O'Byrne.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 06:44 AM
SwissButch
in CA OCT-NOV '12

Quote:
The Montreal Canadiens have played their young talent for the pre-season games. The youngsters played so well that their are rumours that the Habs could be preparing a trade or two.

I guess we will all see.
http://rumormethis.com/rumors/are-th...aring-a-trade/

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-03-2008 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Don't quote the whole article.
SwissButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 09:48 AM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Or rework the deal and go for Bouwmester...Would Tender, Chips, Bouillon and maybe Fisher get us Bouwmeester?
Unless Bob really pulls a wool over someone's head in Florida, there is no way that Tender would be the centre piece to get JBo.

1. Florida already has a bonafide NHL power forward in Nathan Horton who may be ready to score 40-50 goals this year.

2. Florida has another power forward in Anthony Stewart who looks like he will finally stay the whole season with the big club.

3. Florida has yet another power forward type in Shawn Matthias.

In other words, they don't need another power forward back for Jay Bouwmeester even IF Bob can sweet talk Florida into trading him.

I would think that Florida would want back another potential #1 d-man who can move the puck like Ryan McD + perhaps some of the others that you mentioned and/or draft picks.

And for Jay Bouwmeester (a young, stud mobile defenseman who can skate faster sideways than Mariusz Czerkawski on a breakaway and plays upwards to 30 minutes a game in all situations!), who's just on the verge of breaking out offensively, (yes, he's only 25 STILL!!!) I would do a trade like that in a second!!!

But unless Florida's hand is forced, there is no way they would...not only that it looks like JBo is intent on trying out the free agent route, hence his signing for 1 year only before his UFA.

So even if Bob does get JBo at a high price, he'll most likely walk the next year...which means that CH are paying for JBo just for a run at the Cup...which may not be a bad thing...but is this what everyone really wants?

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Russeltown

Quote:
There is also the fact that Mathieu Dandenault seemingly has no place in Montreal.
I am shocked.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:27 AM
David

Actually, upon second reflection, unless the deal calls for robbing the main roster of key guys for the Cup run this year like Kovalev, Koivu, Higgins, Komi, Markov, I would throw the kitchen sink at JBo to get him to Montreal...even if it means Ryan McD and Fischer and Weber and draft picks and whoever else!

A sure thing like an elite level defenseman, esp at age 25 do not come along very often and Bob must try to get him if at all possible!

Esp. since it looks like Bouwmeester's motivation is to play in a hockey mad town that has the potential to go deep into the playoffs! This makes it more likely that he may sign a longer term deal with a team like CH who is close...or he may go and sign back home with Edmonton or Calgary for that matter...but...

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...ay-bouwme.html

Old
10-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Marc-E-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
That's an amazing mullet or coupe longueuil! I can't believe this guy is now with Sophie Marceau...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Unless Bob really pulls a wool over someone's head in Florida, there is no way that Tender would be the centre piece to get JBo.

1. Florida already has a bonafide NHL power forward in Nathan Horton who may be ready to score 40-50 goals this year.

2. Florida has another power forward in Anthony Stewart who looks like he will finally stay the whole season with the big club.

3. Florida has yet another power forward type in Shawn Matthias.

In other words, they don't need another power forward back for Jay Bouwmeester even IF Bob can sweet talk Florida into trading him.

I would think that Florida would want back another potential #1 d-man who can move the puck like Ryan McD + perhaps some of the others that you mentioned and/or draft picks.

And for Jay Bouwmeester (a young, stud mobile defenseman who can skate faster sideways than Mariusz Czerkawski on a breakaway and plays upwards to 30 minutes a game in all situations!), who's just on the verge of breaking out offensively, (yes, he's only 25 STILL!!!) I would do a trade like that in a second!!!

But unless Florida's hand is forced, there is no way they would...not only that it looks like JBo is intent on trying out the free agent route, hence his signing for 1 year only before his UFA.

So even if Bob does get JBo at a high price, he'll most likely walk the next year...which means that CH are paying for JBo just for a run at the Cup...which may not be a bad thing...but is this what everyone really wants?
You will have to give up a lot for Bouwmeester (think the package that Pittsburgh offered to Atlanta to get Hossa)

So maybe a guy like Higgins and a pick for Bouwmeester

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-03-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:42 AM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
You will have to give up a lot for Bouwmeester (think the package that Pittsburgh offered to Atlanta to get Hossa)

So maybe a guy like Higgins and a pick for Bouwmeester
AT LEAST...I think it'll take more esp. because d-men seem to be at a premium these days with all the injuries...and don't forget that a slew of the top tier d-men will all be retiring soon (ie. Lidstrom, Gonchar, Zubov, Blake although no longer top tier) so value for d-men will be very hight.

However, I think that moving someone as important to the team as Higgins would hurt Montreal's chances at the Cup and also destroy Bob's chances of re-signing his buddy Komisarak, so I would say no to Higgins but I'd pay almost anyone outside the core team.

Old
10-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
Vancouver is looking for some offense, that's a given. I like Bieksa's style of play always been a fan. If it were to come up that a deal would be possible I would surely approach it.

Latendresse(could play with Bonnie & Clyde)
D'ags(gives them another offensive minded player, D'ags is a very solid player IMO)
1st rounder
and a Choice of either Dandenault, Boullion, or O'bryne

for Bieksa and 2nd

I'm not sure Vancouver would accept that deal, but we all know Gainey isn't shy to pull the trigger if it makes his team better overall.

Just remember Iginla for Nieuwendyk
oh wow, I wouldnt give Lats for Bieksa alone, wow...

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I'm gonna say right now... Bouwmeester at the deadline is this years Hossa

We need a new Smiley for him now.

I say

Bouwmeester
Can we start the threads now? Please.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:34 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Top 4 Dman

If Chip were included (and Maxpac wasnt) in a deal what would the Habs have to give up for a top 4 Dman that would fit under the cap? EG Chip, Dandy, McDonough for Bieksa and ... Would this put the Habs in Detroit territory?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
That's way too much for an overated, injury prone Kevin Bieksa with an ugly contract. McDonagh alone is too much.

I look at the Brad Stuart/Red Wings deal of a year ago as the perfect example of adding a 4th D without ruining your future. It cost Detroit a 2nd and a 4th.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Patty Roy

Agreed...that's way too much for a #4 defenceman. McDonaugh should be off the table in any discussions for a 4th defenceman. You only consider giving up a prospect of that calibre if its an impact defenceman coming the other way.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

man I would love to add a guy like Kaberle lol

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:50 AM
LyleOdelein

If the Habs trade for a D-man it will be close to the trade deadline, so the cap implications would be lessened. It's hard to say how much said move would improve our team, but I would guarantee that I would hope Gainey would not be sending out both Chipchura AND McDonogh unless we were getting another number 1 D-man in return.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Bobby G

I really don't think we need one. No need to move a piece of our future. Gorges has really played well, once franky comes back we will have a great third pairing. O'Byrne is getting better and better, paired with Hammer we should be fine.

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:57 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
I really don't think we need one. No need to move a piece of our future. Gorges has really played well, once franky comes back we will have a great third pairing. O'Byrne is getting better and better, paired with Hammer we should be fine.
Agreed. If O'B continues to improve, no need at all. However, if he falters or we get into injury trouble, Bouwmeester (sp?) from Florida would be quite an addition at or before the trade deadline. Not sure what he would cost but he would sure look good next to Hammer.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 09:00 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
I agree completely. Unless there is a huge upgrade that falls into Gainey's lap later in the season, there is no reason at this point to take icetime away from Gorges and O'Byrne. This being said, one injury to any of Markov, Hamr or Komi really destabilizes our defence, and could lead to a stopgap trade.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 09:00 AM
7th Player

KUBINA would be great...
Leadership, size, grit, good shot, right handed

Perfect #4 D

but I don't think we need one RIGHT NOW!

At the deadline... maybe, but the season is young

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Lone Rogue

Our D doesn't look spectacular right now because Bouillon is out. He anchors the third D pairing and without him, you have to slot in guys like Brisebois and Dandenault, and guys like Gorges and O'Byrne end up having to put too much on their plate right now.

Hamrlik is already looking to fill the void that Streit created, and that means O'Byrne or Gorges get to support the defensive side while Hamrlik joins the rushes. And even then, Hamrlik is smart enough to get back in if they missed out on a scoring opportunity.

With what we would have to give up for a serious Top 4 D-man, it would imbalance our scoring power, and I don't want to do that. I'll take 3 top 4 D-men and Carey Price over 4 Top 4 D-men and Chris Osgood anyday.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

This is where a GM like Gainey is really worth his weight. Right now there is no need for urgency in terms of bringing in a d-man. Give Gorges Bouillon O'byrne and Brisebois half a season and see where we are at. There could even be a surprise in Hamilton if a Valentenko, Weber, Belle or Carle makes large strides.

Right now it's pretty obvious the top 3 is very strong, Markov is one of the top 10 d-men in the NHL and brings a lot of offense/transition game plus is above average defensively. Komi is mean and strong defensively. Hamrlik beings very good defensive play, moves the puck well and can chip in more offensively in Markov were to get hurt. Ideally Gorges O'byrne Bouillon would be #5 or 6 guys but if they take a step forward, they could be the solution.

In a midseason trade(assuming the solution is not found internally) you would like a guy that's in the Hamrlik mold, strong defensively and moves the puck well or if the PP drops off, maybe an offensive guy that is ok defensively.

As it was mentionned before, if you include McDonagh in a trade, the return would have to be more than a Bieksa type 2nd pair guy. I would trade McDonagh if it brings in Bouwmeester or a similar calibre d-man that would normally be a #1 or 2 but would slide in with Hamrlik on our team.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Turboflex*

Gainey needs to pick up a vet rental dman so we have depth incase of injury. Someone who knows what it takes to win in the playoffs.

We're hosed in the playoffs if someone goes down and we have Briesbois playing full time.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Newhabfan

Give me one example when Gainey traded a valuable prospect/player in order to get someone. Cases like Ribeiro, Rivet, Theo and Grabovski do not count since he wanted them out of here more then he wanted the counterpart in.

Gainey doesn't like giving players he still has hopes on in trades (he might but the counterpart should be significant). He got Tanguay for a pick while he could probably have obtained him a lot earlier for a player or two.

So - unless things go horribly wrong in defense, I bet we will stay as we are, at least till the trade deadline.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:02 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
This is where a GM like Gainey is really worth his weight. Right now there is no need for urgency in terms of bringing in a d-man. Give Gorges Bouillon O'byrne and Brisebois half a season and see where we are at. There could even be a surprise in Hamilton if a Valentenko, Weber, Belle or Carle makes large strides.

Right now it's pretty obvious the top 3 is very strong, Markov is one of the top 10 d-men in the NHL and brings a lot of offense/transition game plus is above average defensively. Komi is mean and strong defensively. Hamrlik beings very good defensive play, moves the puck well and can chip in more offensively in Markov were to get hurt. Ideally Gorges O'byrne Bouillon would be #5 or 6 guys but if they take a step forward, they could be the solution.

In a midseason trade(assuming the solution is not found internally) you would like a guy that's in the Hamrlik mold, strong defensively and moves the puck well or if the PP drops off, maybe an offensive guy that is ok defensively.

As it was mentionned before, if you include McDonagh in a trade, the return would have to be more than a Bieksa type 2nd pair guy. I would trade McDonagh if it brings in Bouwmeester or a similar calibre d-man that would normally be a #1 or 2 but would slide in with Hamrlik on our team.
As much as I would love to see Bouwmeester on the right side of Hammer, I'm not sure I'd give up Mcdonough for a player that may only play for a short time in Montreal. He wants big big bucks and our top 3 will already be earning big bucks next year.

If Fischer continues to improve, he could be packaged at the deadline along with Chipchura for a top 2 defenseman (Bouwmeester) if O'B falters or injuries happen. I personally have been impressed with O'B and Goerges, less so by Brisebois, who has trouble competing physically.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Gainey needs to pick up a vet rental dman so we have depth incase of injury. Someone who knows what it takes to win in the playoffs.

We're hosed in the playoffs if someone goes down and we have Briesbois playing full time.
Brisebois filled in fine in last year's playoffs. The defense was good enough to get us to the final 4, maybe not good enbough to beat Pittsburgh, we'll never know, but good enough to beat Phillie.

Old
10-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
As much as I would love to see Bouwmeester on the right side of Hammer, I'm not sure I'd give up Mcdonough for a player that may only play for a short time in Montreal. He wants big big bucks and our top 3 will already be earning big bucks next year.

If Fischer continues to improve, he could be packaged at the deadline along with Chipchura for a top 2 defenseman (Bouwmeester) if O'B falters or injuries happen. I personally have been impressed with O'B and Goerges, less so by Brisebois, who has trouble competing physically.
If we were to get a Bouwmeester it would only be as a rental. Unless the prices for UFA d-men drop, I don't see us trading for a guy of that calibre AND signing him. One way to recuperate some value is to trade his rights at the draft so a team can sign him before UFA status.

Say you trade McDonagh and a lesser prospect(White or Wyman) for Bouwmeester at the deadline or sooner. Then at the draft trade JB's rights for a 2nd and 4th rounders to a team looking to add him as a UFA. That way you at least recuperate 1/2 or 1/3 of what you paid, lessening the cost.