HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

When higgins comes back

Old
10-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Guillemin

vCash: 500
My hope is they start him on the third line, or whichever line will keep his icetime down a little. And no PP time. No need to push a groin injury.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 05:54 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
Why after 2 games would Carbo change his pre season plan. He said many times that he will play Higgins with Koivu and Tanguay. Lats will be playing with Lang and Serge.
I hope he does change his outlook .I would rather see both Tanguay and Latendresse playing their natural positions.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Coldplay
Courage

When Higgins comes back, does he take Tender's spot?

Chris Higgins could be back as early as next game, according to what Benoit Brunet said before tonight's game.

Do you think we put him back with Koivu and Tanguay, or with Lang and SKost?

I disagreed with what Benoit said, that Higgins could play on the 3rd; he's more proven than Lats, and I think he'd probably flourish with Koivu and Tangs.

thoughts?

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asinine View Post
Chris Higgins could be back as early as next game, according to what Benoit Brunet said before tonight's game.

I disagreed with what Benoit said, that Higgins could play on the 3rd; he's more proven than Lats, and I think he'd probably flourish with Koivu and Tangs.

thoughts?
I heard that Maurice Richard scored 5 games and 1 pass in a game and was named the 3 stars of the game is it true?

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
I hope he does change his outlook .I would rather see both Tanguay and Latendresse playing their natural positions.
Yeah, because Mark Messier and Vincent Damphousse sucked when they stopped being Left Wingers...

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
I heard that Maurice Richard scored 5 games and 1 pass in a game and was named the 3 stars of the game is it true?
Yes, 5 goals and all 3 stars but I don't think he got an assist because no one else scored.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Stradale

Quote:

thoughts?
Its not about the rankings of the line anymore. He will play where he fits best not where he deserves to be. Higgins-Lang-SK47 will get as much ice time 5 on 5 in a game if they plays well than Koivu's and Plek's line.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 11:03 PM
mbz

I'd put Higgins with Lang and SKost, Lats has too much of a good chemistry with Koivu, I wouldn't want to break that up. Plus the Lang line has been the best one so far IMO, and no offence to Kostopoulos but hes a 4th line guy, imagine replacing him with a 30 goal scorer in Higgins..

mbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Lone Rogue

I'll finish with this: If Higgins gets slotted with Koivu and Tanguay and scores 2 goals, everyone will magically forget they even suggested this.

... until Higgins hits a post.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 04:44 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I'll finish with this: If Higgins gets slotted with Koivu and Tanguay and scores 2 goals, everyone will magically forget they even suggested this.

I'd put Higgins with Lang and S. Kost.. because at this point, Higgins is more dangerous league-wide.. and more of a threat according to other coaches. This will make opposing coaches scratch their heads even more with which lines to cover.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 06:27 AM
BJCOLLINS

there's an unwritten rule in the big leagues.........
you don't loose your spot in the lineup due to an injury.

Carbo, Muller are old school. IMHO, they played for many years living through injuries where they didn't have to worry about the coaching staff throwing them under the bus when they returned to the lineup, they will respect this rule and keep the locker room honest.

Higgins will go back to his place in the lineup when healthy.

BTW, Lats is playing well right now and will play with TWO VERY GOOD players on the third line..............what's the problem. Our leading scorer is on that line (Sergei). Good thing the people that use the "Lat's 2nd line Logic" don't use it on him.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Higgins is one of my favorites but right now, he should go on the third line to get back into the game with Lang and Kostitsyn, I think he'd fit nicely there anyhow.

Latendresse has been the biggest surprise so far, he has improved so much since last season, I don't recognize him at all. He deserves to stay on the second line with Koivu, they are clicking nicely so far.

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 06:55 AM
mcphee

I'm getting repetitive but I still don't think it matters much what Carbo does right away. Someone has to play rw. Tanguay,Lats or Higgins, and that will dictate the lines over the long haul.

Any of the options here make sense, but watch for how Tanguay plays on th eright and it'll be sorted out that way. Plus the way Lang and S.Kost seem to be handling the puck, it's hardly a demotion to GL if that were to happen.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 07:02 AM
GaineysRightHandMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
there's an unwritten rule in the big leagues.........
you don't loose your spot in the lineup due to an injury.

Carbo, Muller are old school. IMHO, they played for many years living through injuries where they didn't have to worry about the coaching staff throwing them under the bus when they returned to the lineup, they will respect this rule and keep the locker room honest.
I've seen this unwritten rule broken more times than it's been kept when the replacement work so well. That's how Miller replaced Biron in nets in Buffalo, from what I can remember and how Neilson lost his head coaching job in Philli.

Another problem is that Higgins hasn't played this year so he has no set spot.

GaineysRightHandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 07:30 AM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaineysRightHandMan View Post
I've seen this unwritten rule broken more times than it's been kept when the replacement work so well. That's how Miller replaced Biron in nets in Buffalo, from what I can remember and how Neilson lost his head coaching job in Philli.

Another problem is that Higgins hasn't played this year so he has no set spot.

Well when it comes to other teams and rules (unwritten or otherwise) they break........whatever, I don't care.

The Habs, IMHO, are standard bearers in the NHL, and given that we have a coaching staff and GM who understand locker room chemistry......taking the high road will always be the only path.

When teams start to supplant proven players with players who are on a hot streak or you loose your spot due to injury. Team cohesion is the first fatality.

Old
10-14-2008, 07:37 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Well when it comes to other teams and rules (unwritten or otherwise) they break........whatever, I don't care.

The Habs, IMHO, are standard bearers in the NHL, and given that we have a coaching staff and GM who understand locker room chemistry......taking the high road will always be the only path.

When teams start to supplant proven players with players who are on a hot streak or you loose your spot due to injury. Team cohesion is the first fatality.
I don't think it's really losing a spot though, if Higgins was to play alongside Lang. He'd be with one of his wingers from last year, it's just a matter of mixing and matching players. Frankly, Lang is seeing more ice than Koivu, so ......

I'm sure Wally Pipp wishes the Yankees had that policy.

Old
10-14-2008, 07:38 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post

+1...

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Cupmonger

I cant wait till higgins comes back. But when does he come back?

Cupmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I'm not sure how this would be a demotion, the Koivu and Lang lines are basically 2a and 2b. Playing with Lang and S.Kost right now would almost be a promotion the way they are playing. It's not like if after 5 more games things don't click that he can't tinker a bit and change them up. I think Carbo SHOULD try a few different combos this year when the team has an off night, you never know when a line or duo can click together, plus it gives you other options if injuries hit.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 09:36 AM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I don't think it's really losing a spot though, if Higgins was to play alongside Lang. He'd be with one of his wingers from last year, it's just a matter of mixing and matching players. Frankly, Lang is seeing more ice than Koivu, so ......

I'm sure Wally Pipp wishes the Yankees had that policy.
I guess it comes down to these assumptions.....Higgins on a second line with Saku & Tangs has the potiental of being very dynamic. A great second line.

Lats (who has started the year very well) makes our third line even bigger and more talented than it is now. win, win.

I agree it's mixing and matching but, Higgins has an on ice chemistry with Saku that, IMHO, will only benefit Tanguay and the line as a whole.

Of course I could be wrong and both lines stink because no one clicks. Look Higgins with SK74 and Lang could be the best secondary scoring line in the NHL, who knows. But WOW what a great problem to have.........too many talented forwards on the team!

Old
10-14-2008, 09:45 AM
mcphee

Quote:
I guess it comes down to these assumptions.....Higgins on a second line with Saku & Tangs has the potiental of being very dynamic. A great second line.

Lats (who has started the year very well) makes our third line even bigger and more talented than it is now. win, win.

I agree it's mixing and matching but, Higgins has an on ice chemistry with Saku that, IMHO, will only benefit Tanguay and the line as a whole.

Of course I could be wrong and both lines stink because no one clicks. Look Higgins with SK74 and Lang could be the best secondary scoring line in the NHL, who knows. But WOW what a great problem to have.........too many talented forwards on the team!
right now, it seems that Lang is getting 4-5 minutes a game more than Koivu so....

We tend to discount that these things matter to players but they all know that stats = $ and if Higgins, or anyone else has strong opinions here, it can be an issue I guess, but I can't see a problem if you have 9 talented forwards. I think that there are only a few combinations that don't work, Higgins/Kovalev for example, but overall there are a lot of options.

Old
10-14-2008, 10:30 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:

well ... I don't think that could be used as an argument to put latendresse on the other line.... because latendresse and koivu also have that chemistry. You are right, there are many options... and its a great problem to have...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Coco Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
right now, it seems that Lang is getting 4-5 minutes a game more than Koivu so....

We tend to discount that these things matter to players but they all know that stats = $ and if Higgins, or anyone else has strong opinions here, it can be an issue I guess, but I can't see a problem if you have 9 talented forwards. I think that there are only a few combinations that don't work, Higgins/Kovalev for example, but overall there are a lot of options.
Higgins is definitely a better fit than Latendresse for Koivu. Koivu needs 2 "energic/fast" players with him. Koivu (IMO) is better when playing the "trailer" role (3rd man in the offensive zone) with his wingers being in front of him.

Even though Latendresse improved his skating speed, I don't think his game speed reflects his "new" sakting speed...he probably needs time to adjust.

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:39 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:

thoughts?
The Habs have one number 1 line and TWO second lines (Koivu's and Lang's).

The Lang's line had played more than Koivu's in the last two games (maybe three).

So, I would like to see Higgins (LW) with Lang and S.Kost (RW), and threfore let Tanguay on LW and Latendresse on RW with Koivu.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:44 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Fever View Post
Higgins is definitely a better fit than Latendresse for Koivu. Koivu needs 2 "energic/fast" players with him. Koivu (IMO) is better when playing the "trailer" role (3rd man in the offensive zone) with his wingers being in front of him.

Even though Latendresse improved his skating speed, I don't think his game speed reflects his "new" sakting speed...he probably needs time to adjust.
Certain players 'help' certain players. Koivu tends to help Lats, Higgins while being helped by Koivu, helps Koivu. So, which is best overall.....

Thanks for the trailer comment, something seemed off, and I couldn't quite get it, I thought it was Tanguay being a bit awkward on the right, but that makes sense. One of his patented plays needs a speedy winger breaking free up ice.

Either way, Lats/Lang/S.Kost. has the makings of a solid NHL line, as it would with Higgins.