HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Props to Brunet: The Benoit appreciation thread

Old
10-14-2008, 08:04 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500
Brunet is doing a good job, you people need to relax.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I don't notice him too much....should be a good thing?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:36 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I don't mind Brunet but he needs to stop calling Habs players by their first names. Saku, Gui, Carey...I hate when announcers do that.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:52 AM
mcphee

I like how as a player, he realizes that you can't nitpick every second of the play. He tends to have a 'it's a long season,let's let it develop' sort of attitude and I like that.

For me, the game's the show. I don't need to be entertained by a high decibel analyst, so I've got no problem with him at all.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Newhabfan

I liked him from the start. He can give you the "player" perspective on the game instead of the "coach" one most analysts (including Yvon) use.

Calling Saku by his name is a priviledge earned by playing with him. Have you noticed that Brisebois always talks about Carbonneau as "Carbo" ? Same thing. He played together with some of the current players and probably knows them personally.

My interpretation is that he is calling them by first name because he feels emotionally close to them. Deep down he would probably like to be on the ice with them instead of where he is.

What I disliked the most about Yvon on TV were his biased comments against specific targets (Huet being his favourite I guess). There was a tangible hostility towards some players that you don't get with BB. Maybe it's because he was a player not so long ago.

In the same line, I liked Joel Bouchard's comments at some point. The way he described the Islanders situation was hilarious.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Megaforce

Benoit is a master of stating the obvious. Then again, so are about three quarters of the posters here. So you should love the guy. McPhee?

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 09:12 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Calling Saku by his name is a priviledge earned by playing with him. Have you noticed that Brisebois always talks about Carbonneau as "Carbo" ? Same thing. He played together with some of the current players and probably knows them personally.

My interpretation is that he is calling them by first name because he feels emotionally close to them. Deep down he would probably like to be on the ice with them instead of where he is.
You're probably right, but I don't care if Benoit's brother is on the team...announcers should always call the players by their last names. It just sounds more professional, and objective, which all announcers should strive to be.

Old
10-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Benoit is a master of stating the obvious. Then again, so are about three quarters of the posters here. So you should love the guy. McPhee?
It's part of his job description. His target audience are the people watching a game live, out of which, probably 90% are not "hockey experts" as the "quarter of the posters" you claim to belong are. Those "not-experts", me included, are ok with getting basic things explained, things that we might not notice first hand.

If you want in depth, brilliant analysis, aimed for hockey pros, there are special dedicated shows. The live transmission of a game is not the place for that.

Old
10-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
You're probably right, but I don't care if Benoit's brother is on the team...announcers should always call the players by their last names. It just sounds more professional, and objective, which all announcers should strive to be.
You are probably right. It does not sound professional and let's hope he corrects this. He's still a rookie in the business.

Old
10-14-2008, 09:25 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
it all depends on what you want from analysis. We aren't watching open heart surgery, most of us know what we're seeing, so in that it's a home team broadcast, you want a comfort level. You get the home team's persepctive and it's a low key approach.

Last night TK blew a scoring chance. Brunet more or less said, yeah, he blew that one, but at least he got to the right place. I noticed that because in my way of thinking, that's the way to cover it. Why get excited about a player not blessed with much finishing ability being true to form ?

As to stating the obvious pertaining to the board and myself, it's hockey, a lot of layers of he onion need to be peeled to find much that isn't obvious.

Old
10-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Personally I don't mind either way and I think that your nitpicking over something very very childish. I don't think it makes him any less professional if he refers to them by first name, in fact I love Brunet for the simple fact that he doesn't have something stuck up his ass like Houde and Pednault....

They seem so pretentious/stuck up for trying to pronounce every name the way that they believe it should be pronounced; even though the players themselves prefer the american pronounciation. ("Veberrrre"... "Alexei Kovaliev", etc)

How long did it take for them to stop pronouncing it Alexei Kovaliev? Even after Alex told them on LIVE TV how he prefered Alex Kovalev.

Personally I like having someone up there who actually sounds like a common man (as plain as he may be), not a programmed robot.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 09:48 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Sorry, I know it's a weird nitpick but I don't care. To me it sounds too much like the announcers are trying to show how "chummy" they are with the guys off the ice when they start calling them by their first names during the broadcast. They're not your friends during the broadcast, they're hockey players. It's just not professional IMO.

But I do agree with you re: Pierre and Yvon's "proper" pronounciations versus popular usage. A classic example being "Antero Nittoumaki".

Old
10-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Sorry, I know it's a weird nitpick but I don't care. To me it sounds too much like the announcers are trying to show how "chummy" they are with the guys off the ice when they start calling them by their first names during the broadcast. They're not your friends during the broadcast, they're hockey players. It's just not professional IMO.

But I do agree with you re: Pierre and Yvon's "proper" pronounciations versus popular usage. A classic example being "Antero Nittoumaki".
Personally, I really don't care. I listen to hockey games to be entertained, and honestly Yvon + Pednault's commentating took away from that.

I work 40 hours during the week and hockey is what takes me away from the "professional life". I'd like it if Yvon was less professional and more like Brunet. More of a homer, less of a square. When Yvon talks I feel that he's more of a hockey "scholar" not hockey fan. You listen to guys like Jeanerette and they're in the game as much as we are. They don't sound too professional, but they actually make the game sound more interesting than it is (And the population of Pominville increases by 1).

I think we need someone who's more "loose" like Jeanerette and gets as pumped up when the team scores as the fans do.

Old
10-14-2008, 10:06 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I guess we're just different that way. I like it that the RDS guys usually aren't homers...and how Houde actually has enthusiasm in his voice when the other team scores. If you listen to the Pittsburgh announcers, they sound like they're going to kill themselves when the other team scores. I hate that.

Old
10-14-2008, 10:11 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Personally, I really don't care. I listen to hockey games to be entertained, and honestly Yvon + Pednault's commentating took away from that.

I work 40 hours during the week and hockey is what takes me away from the "professional life". I'd like it if Yvon was less professional and more like Brunet. More of a homer, less of a square. When Yvon talks I feel that he's more of a hockey "scholar" not hockey fan. You listen to guys like Jeanerette and they're in the game as much as we are. They don't sound too professional, but they actually make the game sound more interesting than it is (And the population of Pominville increases by 1).

I think we need someone who's more "loose" like Jeanerette and gets as pumped up when the team scores as the fans do.
This could very well be an age thing, and that's not a criticism, more an observation. Youger fans seem to like more flash or hype around the broadcast.

I like play by play guys to be well spoken and to stay out of the way of the action. There aren't many I really 'want' to hear, in a way that they make the game better for me. I like Miller,while some don't, I like the NBC guy, Emrick , Houde, and all the rest run together for me.

Brunet hasn't angered me yet, that's what I like about him. I thought Pedneault played favourites and he tended to piss me off sometimes.

Old
10-14-2008, 10:15 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
It wasn't so much that Pedneault played favorites but that he played...uh...non-favorites? What I mean is it always seemed like he was picking on guys like Ryder, Koivu, Andrei Kostitsyn, Huet, etc...he was so negative, it was annoying. He would've been bashing everyone by the end of the second last night. But I liked Brunet's laissez-faire approach and his comment that "good teams find a way to win these kinds of games" - very levelheaded (and ultimately true!) remark.

Old
10-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
I guess we're just different that way. I like it that the RDS guys usually aren't homers...and how Houde actually has enthusiasm in his voice when the other team scores. If you listen to the Pittsburgh announcers, they sound like they're going to kill themselves when the other team scores. I hate that.
I wish he was a little more homer-ish...Sometimes I wonder if he's on our side.

Old
10-14-2008, 10:27 AM
CH4

What I like about Brunet up to now compared to Yvon is that he don't get into a long story about close to nothing when the play is on and let Pierre do his job; the play by play.

I hated when yvon did that and Pierre had to cut him by attention, il lance et compte!

Then we did not know who scored etc...

I like his attitude, obviously has things to improve but he is a newbie after all. Give the chance, he'll do just fine.

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:29 AM
The n00b King *

His voice annoys me.

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:44 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
For a noob.. the kid ain't half bad.
Pedneault made me laugh, I actually spent the night laughing while I was listening to RDS...

Brunet is good in his analysis, its been only two games... he'll find a way to add a bit of color to the work he's doing...

But pedneault always had that kind of tabloid news that made it fun... hahah '' I spoke to johanessssss skripiznisky the other day and he was telling me that he was against the salary cap, the system isn't working.....pierre.. ''

But my post will be about the duo of Joel Bouchard and Demers, how long before these two end up sleeping with each other?

'' tu le sais jaques, t'es un bon coach'' , while caressing his shoulder.

'' oui, toi joel , t'es tellement bon! jte dis , tu vas coacher dans la ligue national '' , demers says with that cute smile of his...

they always try and compliment each other, sometimes its a bit too much ....

and when you add that to the gagnon interventions... man he actually spent 10 minutes saying that the teams that were playing in europe had a longer rest before playing over here... hehe

as long as the team plays well , I don't even mind if chantelois shows up to the game coverage pannel.... Id give him the mic to inerview the oposite team's players... to scare them a bit... hahah

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:56 AM
AD

Btw, Joel Bouchard is the best acquisition RDS has made..

Yannick (whatever his name is) is so so.. but clearly Bouchard knows his stuff.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:01 AM
CH4

Quote:

Agreed, I never has any doubts about him. He knows hockey as little do.

He is a keeper.

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:

Yeah, but I don't like his haircut.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 01:06 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Yeah, but I don't like his haircut.
I like it. Its so flowy and liberal. It makes me believe in freedom.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 01:23 PM
mcphee

Quote:
I like it. Its so flowy and liberal. It makes me believe in freedom.
more than blue paint ?