HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008-09 - Kings Manchester Monarchs (AHL) Update Thread

Old
10-12-2008, 08:59 AM
ReggieMoto

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueroe View Post
Just wondering how some of these guys looked.
That was an away game. You might get a rundown from a fan who made the trip, but there won't be many. However, next Saturday is their home opener. There will be many more who will see that one. Should be plenty to report then.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:13 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
However, next Saturday is their home opener. There will be many more who will see that one. Should be plenty to report then.
Might be but after reading the article regarding slumping ST renewals and the decline in numbers, I'm not sure. They blew it this season Reggie. If there was ever a season for them to hold ticket prices it was this season. They went with their annual increase instead. They can play to an empty arena this season for all I care. AEG and the Monarchs heve been licking the through for a few years now and I'm glad to see their numbers are so far off that Eisenberg won't even give them out...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:20 AM
sueroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
That was an away game. You might get a rundown from a fan who made the trip, but there won't be many. However, next Saturday is their home opener. There will be many more who will see that one. Should be plenty to report then.
oh man thanks Reggie! I try to keep up with every Monarch game throughout the season and i don't know why i had it in my mind it was their home opener.
I read the Union Leader, and sounds like from Morris too many "meaningless penalties".

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:41 PM
hockeynutz

Quote:
Just wondering how some of these guys looked.
i wasn't able to go to portland for the game, but i talked with a couple of long-time STHs who were there. both said that they looked awful - completely disorganized and out of sync. if this is the latest version of a "young, defensive-minded" team, it's gonna be a long season.

hockeynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 12:26 PM
PowrrrPlay

Send a message via MSN to PowrrrPlay
Quote:
I saw the scores for Manchester, and looks like they had a similar game to the Kings.
I noticed Lewis with 2 assists, and I guess Bud Holloway, Kidd with their first AHL goals ( i think). Just wondering how some of these guys looked.
That was Kidd's second professional goal. Kidd scored last spring during his Monarchs ATO.

Cheers

PowrrrPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 05:50 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
How have Bernier, Martinez and Voinov done?

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 06:58 PM
hockeynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastFoundingFather View Post
How have Bernier, Martinez and Voinov done?
bernier hasn't played a game yet, but i'd expect he'd get at least one this weekend - 3 games in 3 days.

voinov has had 1 assist, 0 shots, 0 PIM, 0 +/-.

martinez has had 2 shots, 4 PIM, -2 +/-.

Old
10-14-2008, 11:58 AM
hollylyn

Voinov has incredibly silly hair.

hollylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Chruceg

I realize the first Monarchs home game is Saturday but if anybody has a chance could you pay attention to Voinov. He's probably my favorite prospect. And stuff like he has silly hair is cool too. Just in general I would love to know more about him.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollylyn View Post
Voinov has incredibly silly hair.
It looks like a cartoon characters bowl cut.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Has there been any update on Bernier's injury status?

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 06:03 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Has there been any update on Bernier's injury status?
Supposedly he's good to go and is expected to get the nod tomorrow night against Lowell in Lowell. Look for pretty much a straight rotation of Bernier and Quick for now. The Kings have made it clear to Morris that they want both guys playing...

Old
10-17-2008, 08:38 PM
riznat

Monarchs get the win tonight 6-4 over Lowell,

Purcell 2g
lewis 1g
holloway 1g
Drevecky 1g
Crosty 1g

3 assists for Gauthier
2 for drewiski

Bernier stopped 29 of 33 shots.

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

9 goals in 2 games. Sounds VERY "defensive minded," alright.

Old
10-17-2008, 09:22 PM
BurningBright

Trevor Lewis has been pretty darn good in the first two games. hopefully this keeps up. And Purcell had two goals, Id like to see him up by the end of the year

BurningBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 09:28 PM
hockeynutz

they played a very good first period.

2d & 3d, not so much.

many missed passes, bad passes, poor defensive play on both sides.

on the plus side, after scoring the first 3 goals - purcell got the first on a nice short-handed breakaway - they basically swapped goals. for each lowell goal, the monarchs responded.

bernier looked ok - he wasn't really tested all that much.

at one point, the monarchs were outshooting the devils 22-9.

annouced attendance: 1229. actually attendance, less than 1/2 of that. you could hear the guys talking to each other.

Old
10-17-2008, 09:39 PM
King Blazer

Too much special teams play tonight by both teams that resulted from a lot of ticky-tack calls both ways...

When you're looking at Parse between Westgarth and Crosty on a PP you kinda gotta figure they're spreading it around...

Old
10-17-2008, 09:42 PM
hollylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynutz View Post
they played a very good first period.

2d & 3d, not so much.

many missed passes, bad passes, poor defensive play on both sides.

on the plus side, after scoring the first 3 goals - purcell got the first on a nice short-handed breakaway - they basically swapped goals. for each lowell goal, the monarchs responded.

bernier looked ok - he wasn't really tested all that much.

at one point, the monarchs were outshooting the devils 22-9.

annouced attendance: 1229. actually attendance, less than 1/2 of that. you could hear the guys talking to each other.
Essentially what I heard from a friend who went as well.

She said the 1st was great. The second started just okay, and then it went down hill from there.

Sounded like Lowell was really trying to provoke Westgarth, Bagnall and Crosty. Although, she also said that the most riled up they were able to get Crosty was by going after the smaller guys (Leveille in particular) and Bernier who one of the guys gave a whack to the back of the head.

It also sounded like they had some difficulty getting the puck out of their own zone by passing. Although, Voynov carried it out on his own a few times. She said he and Drewiske were among the better dmen. But they weren't without their own problems, but nothing massive.

What started the Murray fight? She thought it was a cross check, but wasn't sure. It sounded like a pretty good watch from what she told me.

Damn my first paycheck not clearing until Monday, I had to choose between tonight, tomorrow and Sunday.

Oh, and question for those who attended because she couldn't tell what had happened: Gionta (I think she said it was him) lost a skate blade? All she knew was that someone, she thought it was him, at one point scoot crawled off the ice like (and I quote) "A three legged dog in heat." Did anyone see if it was indeed a skate blade? And who it was for certain? Because it sounded hilarious once she realized it wasn't an injury. Or realized that it didn't seem to be an injury, since he came back.

Old
10-17-2008, 09:42 PM
hollylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Too much special teams play tonight by both teams that resulted from a lot of ticky-tack calls both ways...

When you're looking at Parse between Westgarth and Crosty on a PP you kinda gotta figure they're spreading it around...
That line on a PP is indeed a head scratcher.

Old
10-18-2008, 11:41 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

I noticed tonight Manchester lost 2-1, but Quick stopped 39 of 41 shots for the 3rd star of the game. I thought Bernier was supposed to play tonight.

Anyway, sounds like a great game by Quick.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:42 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Okay, now I just realized why Quick was in goal. Looks like JB played last night and gave up 4 goals on 33 shots. Looks like he needs to work the rust off a little.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:53 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Was that Quick's second or third game? His stats say 8 GAA, which would mean he gave up 7 in his first game??

Their save % are pretty similar, 88-89. My guess is Bernier will take 3 or 4 games to get back into a groove, so long as his attitude is good and he doesn't sulk like when he was sent back to juniors. Anyone have any info into Bernier's mindset after being injured during camp?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Was that Quick's second or third game? His stats say 8 GAA, which would mean he gave up 7 in his first game??

Their save % are pretty similar, 88-89. My guess is Bernier will take 3 or 4 games to get back into a groove, so long as his attitude is good and he doesn't sulk like when he was sent back to juniors. Anyone have any info into Bernier's mindset after being injured during camp?
http://www.sunjournal.com/story/2869...HL_Manchester/

Quote:
Bernier was obviously disappointed, too. But, with the same classy demeanor he displayed so often in Lewiston, he shrugged off the apparent snub.

"I'm just coming back from injury, so I didn't do the main camp," Bernier said. "I had a good rookie camp, but I hurt myself after, and I had two, two-and-a-half weeks off, and I came back here. Now I have to work hard, and hopefully go back there soon."

Old
10-19-2008, 07:03 AM
King Blazer

Quick was in goal because it was his turn. It's going to be a straight rotation between Quick and Bernier for quite a while. The Kings have told Morris that's the way it's going to go and I think it makes sense. Nobody gets anything handed to him. Work for it...

Same referee last night as Friday night in Lowell, same ticky-tack calls, same choppy play...

Lowell got a lot of shots through last night, a lot...

Quick looked very good...

Nice PP goal by Meckler in the last 5-min to get the Monarchs back into it. Some really nice tight quarters zip passing down low by Murray and Gauthier then Murray threaded one out front to Meckler in the high slot and he buried the one-timer...

After the great work to get the goal they promptly gave up a 4-on-4 goal and I was home in time to see the 5th inning of the Red Sox game...

[edit] Both Cliche and Clune were in attendance in Manchester last night...

Last edited by King Blazer: 10-19-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Old
10-19-2008, 06:13 PM
King Blazer

Just got back from the Monarchs afternoon game against Springfield (Edmonton). Not a good game for the Monarchs as they dropped this one 4-1 and were never really in it...

Dubnyk had a heck of a game for Springfield. He made a couple of great saves and was solid all the way. He moves well for such a big kid. Should have had the 1st star...

Bernier was in net for the Monarchs; the Save of the Game was a shot that Bernier misplayed and the rebound was cleared off the goal line by a Monarch (Meckler maybe?). Bernier certainly didn't bring his "A" game today and I hope he'd like to have a couple of the goals back...

In Bernier's defense (or lack thereof in at least a couple of cases), Drewiske watched Springfield play some fine hockey down low and maybe lost his assignment for a bit and Springfield potted a couple. The pairing of Dreweiske and Piskula was -3..

Campbell was in the lineup for the Narchs tonight. Guy reminds me a lot of Joey Mormina but without the bulk...

Still a lot of work to do with this Monarchs team and they weren't all that young tonight...