HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Minnesota-Toronto, aka RFV's *FAIL*

Old
10-12-2008, 03:06 PM
nmbr_24

vCash: 500
This isn't a comment on the fairness of the proposal, I was just wondering if anyone else thinks the Leafs would be better off trading Kaberle for younger players and maybe a 1st round pick, guys who would be in their prime in a few years when the Leafs would have had a chance to rebuild their team?

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 04:31 PM
hockeyfan99ss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
This isn't a comment on the fairness of the proposal, I was just wondering if anyone else thinks the Leafs would be better off trading Kaberle for younger players and maybe a 1st round pick, guys who would be in their prime in a few years when the Leafs would have had a chance to rebuild their team?
I think if gaborik was 29 maybe.

but at 26 and already a franchise forward trading kaberle would allow us to remain competative and add to our needy forward lines without crippling our defense.

If we added gaborik we would have a premier scoring winger locked long term. and it would only help in the rebuild.

hockeyfan99ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:05 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan99ss View Post
I think if gaborik was 29 maybe.

but at 26 and already a franchise forward trading kaberle would allow us to remain competative and add to our needy forward lines without crippling our defense.

If we added gaborik we would have a premier scoring winger locked long term. and it would only help in the rebuild.
For some reason I thought he was older than that. My other thought is would Gaborik be happy enough playing for a rebuilding team that he would sign a long term deal? TO does have the appeal of being one of the best, if not the best cities to be a hockey player in.

I really don't know all that much about Gaborik's personality or whether he is the kind of guy who is going to wait to become an UFA no matter what he is offered.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Toronto gets hosed in this. Kabrele has 3 years left on his deal at a good price. Gaborik is a UFA, and it seems like he intends to test the waters. He has zero incentive to sign with Toronto for anything short of his full demands. I don't see how trading away your best contract to sign a injury prone winger for 9 million a season for a very long time does anything for Toronto. Minny takes this and runs.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Add Alex Steen, Jiri Tlusty and a 1st round pick as well as Kaberle and then Minnesota considers it.
Even as a Habs fan I think you're overpaying big time on the Leafs side. Kaberle is pretty close in value for one season of Gaborik, but Minny would never trade him unless they get some offensive help in return. They are a playoff team and I assume they'd like to remain one even after trading Gaborik. So whether of not Kaberle is worth Garborik is moot since Minny would logically looking for offense in return.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Soundwave

That actually isn't that bad of an offer. Kaberle is a strong All-Star piece to build with, Hossa didn't net anything remotely close, neither did Pronger (and Pronger was signed long-term).

Though I think the Wild would want a forward too.

Steen + Kaberle

for

Gaborik + Belanger

Would probably work for Minny. Toronto gets hosed if Gaborik walks ... people who think Minnesota is going to get a superstar back for Gaborik are out to lunch -- not with that contract situation folks.

If they could get a Kaberle, their front office would take it and run.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:03 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Add Alex Steen, Jiri Tlusty and a 1st round pick as well as Kaberle and then Minnesota considers it.
Drugs.Drugs Drugs........some are good, some are bad!

What an idiotic proposal. It almost pisses me off at what people think certain teams can demand for a player. Here's an idea for Minny, hold for a deal like the one mentioned above, no one will offer and te Wild can enter into the offseason with Gabby. After that they can lose him for nothing and it will be well worth it at that point.

I have said this twice already......every year people make the same mistake about what these impending UFA's will get and every year they are seriously wrong. Gabby will be no different.

Pronger - Lupul, Smid, 1st rd pick
Hossa - Christensen, Armstrong, Esposito, 1st rd pick
Forsberg - Upshall, Parent, 1st rd pick
Brad Richards - Mike Smith, Jussi Jokinen, pick
Olli Jokinen - Keith Ballard, Nick Boynton, 2nd rd pick

All of these teams thought they would get alot more for their respective stars but they were disappointed in the end. Minny beware.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 12:25 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
Drugs.Drugs Drugs........some are good, some are bad!

What an idiotic proposal. It almost pisses me off at what people think certain teams can demand for a player. Here's an idea for Minny, hold for a deal like the one mentioned above, no one will offer and te Wild can enter into the offseason with Gabby. After that they can lose him for nothing and it will be well worth it at that point.

I have said this twice already......every year people make the same mistake about what these impending UFA's will get and every year they are seriously wrong. Gabby will be no different.

Pronger - Lupul, Smid, 1st rd pick
Hossa - Christensen, Armstrong, Esposito, 1st rd pick
Forsberg - Upshall, Parent, 1st rd pick
Brad Richards - Mike Smith, Jussi Jokinen, pick
Olli Jokinen - Keith Ballard, Nick Boynton, 2nd rd pick

All of these teams thought they would get alot more for their respective stars but they were disappointed in the end. Minny beware.
I agree. To semi-quote the famous Jules Winnfield, "History mother ****er, do you know it?!"

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:34 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Richards and Pronger weren't UFAs but the point still stands.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 03:19 AM
Lee Denault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujoy View Post
Toronto offered Kaberle for Jeff Carter, and that didn't happen.

Now you expect it to work for Gaborik?

Get over it. Kaberle is good, but not THAT good.
Umm KABERLE nixed the deal that would of sent Carter and a 1st to Toronto.

Thanks though.

Lee Denault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 06:00 AM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Not quite. Actually, not at all.

If anyone cares to read the thread proposed earlier Markov for Gaborik, there wasn't half the opposition there is now (Kaberle and Markov have been generally regarded as very similarly skilled players) and Kaberle has a better contract.
Actually, Burns is almost as good as Kaberle now, and he'll have him in the dust by the end of this season.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 06:02 AM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan99ss* View Post
Looking at this trade I think that minny needs a little more value.

Honestly i think that a good trade from both sides would be the following

Gaborik resigned to a 10yr 80mil contract as speculated in this forum.

Kaberle Tlusty Bell*if wanted*

Tlusty adds a young player with upside that isnt a bluechip prospect but could be good to very good. kaberle obv. and I would offer bell as a little additional value as he would fit into their system very well, if he put up any sort of points on their 3rd/4th line because they traded for him they could flip him at the deadline for additional value.

Gaborik would obviously have to come over resigned. Toronto would NOT do this deal without him being signed and traded. toronto is not willing to give up a top10 defenseman without him being resigned. That being said. Gaborik 10years 8mil a yr would be an absolute godsend to toronto. giving up tlusty would be hard because hes young with upside, but gaborik is only 26 *iirc* and would be a franchise player in toronto.
So you actually think the Wild would trade him to you after signing a 10 year deal?

I know you have a tendency to want to hose the other team in trade proposals, but that's just ridiculous.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 09:17 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Even as a Habs fan I think you're overpaying big time on the Leafs side. Kaberle is pretty close in value for one season of Gaborik, but Minny would never trade him unless they get some offensive help in return. They are a playoff team and I assume they'd like to remain one even after trading Gaborik. So whether of not Kaberle is worth Garborik is moot since Minny would logically looking for offense in return.
i'm from MN, and yes. we need to get a top-six roster-ready forward as a part of anything involving gaborik. Or a 3rd liner scouted to have first line potential. Of course that would seem to go against what Toronto is trying to accomplish in rebuilding...

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Krazy

I think the idea is that Gaborik might sign with TO and not Min (like luongo) although I am not sold on that one.

Regardless, Kaberle for a UFA is ridiculous. Basically any forward who turns down an 80 million dollar contract is not going to get a lot of value in return (a fair bit but not a ton). Will get the standard

Late first, Servicable forward under 25, strong not superstar prospect.....

Not an allstar like kabs. Do you realize that since the lockout, Gaborik has scored 9 pts/year more than kaberle? Granted he is hurt and obviously is a top player, but scores are based on points, not potential if healthy......

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:47 AM
goliath5151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
Minnesota could get a lot more for Gaborik at the deadline than they could get for Kaberle.
bingo

goliath5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Kirk Maltby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave View Post
Kaberle isn't going to get Toronto an offensive super star like Gaborik.
He's not Frantisek Kaberle

That would actually be a fair 1 for 1 deal.

The Wild get an impact defenseman and the Leafs get an impact forward with constant injury problems.

In all honesty I don't want that band aid on our team.

Especially not at 8+ million on a long term deal.

Kaberle is a steal at his price and 3 years left on the deal.

Kirk Maltby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 12:45 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
WOW one rumor about kaberle being traded for a player who was mediocre at the time and a 1st round pick and you think he's nik lidstrom
You can say Carter was mediocre at the time, but the draft pick was teetering on lottery pick at the time too. Philly was struggling hard, and needed the late season push and a playoff run to move up the draft chart.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 12:53 PM
neofury*

To be honest, I think Minny would be retarded to turn down this offer. Gaborik is UFA and not resigning, Kaberle has two years left on his deal at a DISCOUNT price!

Not only that but, Toronto would be dumb to make this trade. They don't need to trade a good roster player for a UFA right now. Find them a guy to build a team around and maybe Kaberle could be part of that package, but any Minny fan who doesn't take this is crazy. Gabs wants out, he isn't resigning, I'd rather have 2 years of kaberle and a possible resigning + quick fix UFA forward then keep Gaborik and lose him for nothing. Plus no team in the NHL is going to quick too give up much after Hossa didn't resign with Pittsburgh lmao.

UFA's are UFA's, at the beginning of the season or at the deadline. Toronto is in no hurry to improve their team, they want to build from within. Trading Kaberle for Gaborik imo is a step back unless the entire trade is conditional on Gaborik signing, which I'm not sure if that can even be done. Definitely adding Gaborik longterm could be helpful to torontos rebuilding, he is a young star, but having Gaborik for 1 season doesn't do squat but make them lose Kaberle.

If minny doesn't take this deal they're crazy. Elite d-men are worth a lot, especially when they make 4.25mil a season.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote