General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Any golfers here?

Old
10-06-2008, 11:00 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
I should have gone to the range. I'm frustrated as hell after playing 18 today. I shot a 115 I 5 putt a par 3, I had 13 penalty strokes and 45 or more putts. I'm really pissed because my iron shots were what caused the problems. I only hit maybe 3 greens in regulation and shanked numerous iron shots. All but 3 of my penalty strokes were irons from the fairway that I either hit ob or hit so bad I took a penalty stroke and rehit the ball.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 12:16 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadadaimhollaing View Post
I should have gone to the range. I'm frustrated as hell after playing 18 today. I shot a 115 I 5 putt a par 3, I had 13 penalty strokes and 45 or more putts. I'm really pissed because my iron shots were what caused the problems. I only hit maybe 3 greens in regulation and shanked numerous iron shots. All but 3 of my penalty strokes were irons from the fairway that I either hit ob or hit so bad I took a penalty stroke and rehit the ball.
If you had 45 or more putts you should probably spend more time practicing your putting more than anything else. Even if you just 2-putted every green, you'd have saved 9 shots right off the bat and your 115 becomes a 106. Throw a couple of one putts in there and you're under 100.

Putting is something you can practice every day at your house for 30 minutes a day. If you want to become a good putter, I highly recommend that you purchase a putting arc (http://www.theputtingarc.com/). It is the best putting training aid I have ever used and it transformed me from a mediocre putter to a good putter.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 01:25 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
If you had 45 or more putts you should probably spend more time practicing your putting more than anything else. Even if you just 2-putted every green, you'd have saved 9 shots right off the bat and your 115 becomes a 106. Throw a couple of one putts in there and you're under 100.

Putting is something you can practice every day at your house for 30 minutes a day. If you want to become a good putter, I highly recommend that you purchase a putting arc (http://www.theputtingarc.com/). It is the best putting training aid I have ever used and it transformed me from a mediocre putter to a good putter.
yeah i usually do practice my putting a lot. i just had a rough day and by far my worst putting display. i missed so many 7 footers that im just shaking my head. jokingly i said that i should just quit golf after my round. when i was playing last year i had some good rounds putting where i 1 putted 3 holes, 3 putt 1 hole and the rest were 2 putts. it felt good to be able to put the ball in the hole.

even with my huge number of putts yesterday i did hit some good putts. the 1 hole that i 1 putted i hit like a 15 footer. i also got 3 20-25 footers to about 6 inches and i only missed them because they didnt break at all.

can you tell me how that putter arc works? im guessing it helps you make sure you putt in a straight line

Old
10-07-2008, 01:39 PM
bennysflyers16

I just bought the Callaway FT5, awesome Driver, dead straight and tons of pop. I am a 8 handicap and have also completely re worked my putting style, so far it has made a huge difference. The only real problem with my game is putting,,,,too bad it is October in Manitoba 3 more weeks until Phoenix though

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 01:42 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
can you tell me how that putter arc works? im guessing it helps you make sure you putt in a straight line
Basically you set the heel of your putter up against it and make strokes without losing contact of the arc. It promotes a "proper" putting stroke and I can pretty much assure you that if you use it properly and do the drills that come with it that your putting will improve by leaps and bounds in a relative short period of time.

Old
10-07-2008, 01:58 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I just bought the Callaway FT5, awesome Driver, dead straight and tons of pop. I am a 8 handicap and have also completely re worked my putting style, so far it has made a huge difference. The only real problem with my game is putting,,,,too bad it is October in Manitoba 3 more weeks until Phoenix though
yeah thats a great driver. what loft did you buy? ive been looking for a driver for a few years and the callaway has always been my favorite. ive been to the golf store about 3 times in the last 2 weeks and hit the callaway fti, ft5, taylor made r5, r7, and the nike sasquatch. the callaway just feels so balanced. im probably going to get the callaway fti in a month or so i just love that club.

Old
10-07-2008, 02:03 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Quote:
Basically you set the heel of your putter up against it and make strokes without losing contact of the arc. It promotes a "proper" putting stroke and I can pretty much assure you that if you use it properly and do the drills that come with it that your putting will improve by leaps and bounds in a relative short period of time.
thanks for that , i definatly want to buy it. ive questioned if im taking the putter back properly or not.

Old
10-07-2008, 02:14 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
thanks for that , i definatly want to buy it. ive questioned if im taking the putter back properly or not.
The arc won't allow you to take it back improperly.

Old
10-07-2008, 02:15 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
yeah thats a great driver. what loft did you buy? ive been looking for a driver for a few years and the callaway has always been my favorite. ive been to the golf store about 3 times in the last 2 weeks and hit the callaway fti, ft5, taylor made r5, r7, and the nike sasquatch. the callaway just feels so balanced. im probably going to get the callaway fti in a month or so i just love that club.
Do yourself a favor and hit last year's Taylor Made Burner TP before you buy something.

Old
10-07-2008, 02:34 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and hit last year's Taylor Made Burner TP before you buy something.
ill be sure to check it out. i thought it was going to be too much money. i didnt think i was going to get the fti either but i think im going to spend a lil more money now and get the best driver.

Old
10-07-2008, 02:40 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
ill be sure to check it out. i thought it was going to be too much money. i didnt think i was going to get the fti either but i think im going to spend a lil more money now and get the best driver.
You can get last year's Burner TP brand new for $300 at TGW.com or check eBay out and you can get them even cheaper, especially if you're willing to buy a used one (before you scoff, I'm a 2 handicap and I went the used eBay route and got one with a tour issued shaft for under $200).

Old
10-07-2008, 02:43 PM
bennysflyers16

I also tried the Burner Pro, but preferred the FT5. i am a Lefty with a Butter Fade with a low ball flight, I got the draw face with the 11 degree loft, Just LOVE IT !!!

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 02:44 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Quote:
You can get last year's Burner TP brand new for $300 at TGW.com or check eBay out and you can get them even cheaper, especially if you're willing to buy a used one (before you scoff, I'm a 2 handicap and I went the used eBay route and got one with a tour issued shaft for under $200).
theres nothing wrong with buying a used club. i was actually looking to do that if i buy the fti. i think the burner is on sale or closeout for $260 brand new at sports authority by my house.

Old
10-07-2008, 03:51 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
theres nothing wrong with buying a used club. i was actually looking to do that if i buy the fti. i think the burner is on sale or closeout for $260 brand new at sports authority by my house.
Obviously I don't know your swing, but that might be the Burner Draw, which has a very closed clubface. The standard burner is slightly closed while the TP is neutral. The TP version has a better shaft in it as well.

My recommendation is to go to a golf store with a launch monitor and get fitted. Then search eBay for the driver that you were fitted for.

BTW, there are currently 186 Burner TP's on eBay right now. You can get new ones for around $240 and used ones for less than that.

Do you prefer a regular or stiff flex shaft?

Last edited by pelts35.com: 10-08-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old
10-12-2008, 10:21 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

Golf's a great game.makes me laugh when people lie about they're score,especially when they're playing in your 4some.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 12:43 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcrazyman View Post
Golf's a great game.makes me laugh when people lie about they're score,especially when they're playing in your 4some.
Every sport has liars and cheaters. Why would golf be any different?

Old
10-14-2008, 11:21 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

yesterday i bought me a new putter. the putter ive been using was my dads old putter that i never really liked. i got the odyssey tri-ball putter. i cant wait to go play and use this.

http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-White-...4001091&sr=1-6

Old
10-14-2008, 11:23 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Quote:
i hit the burner a few days ago and i didnt like it as much as the fti. i wasnt consistently hitting the ball on the same part of the face. i would hit a ball near the toe then the next shot near the heel, then id hit the ball low on the club face. my personal favorite is still the callaway.

Old
10-14-2008, 12:13 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
i hit the burner a few days ago and i didnt like it as much as the fti. i wasnt consistently hitting the ball on the same part of the face. i would hit a ball near the toe then the next shot near the heel, then id hit the ball low on the club face. my personal favorite is still the callaway.
Where you hit the ball on the clubface has to do with your swing or possibly the shaft, but nothing to do with the head of the driver.

Congrats on the new putter. I trust you've putted with it before you purchased it? Personally I'm not a fan of mallet putters. They look too bulky and busy for my taste.

Old
10-14-2008, 12:49 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Quote:
Where you hit the ball on the clubface has to do with your swing or possibly the shaft, but nothing to do with the head of the driver.

Congrats on the new putter. I trust you've putted with it before you purchased it? Personally I'm not a fan of mallet putters. They look too bulky and busy for my taste.
i was looking at a few different putters. i wanted a putter with a longer line to make it easier to line up my putt. i tried about 5 or 6 different putters and tried them different days as i was looking at putters and drivers. after putting with this putter the last 2 times i was like thats the putter i want. i tried it yesterday again before i bought it and loved it. i cant wait to go play with it.

the driver face wasnt what i was blaming for the mis hits. it just didnt feel as good when i swung the club. with the results of where i was hitting the ball plus the not as good feel made me make up my mind about which driver to get. im glad i hit the burner but it just doesnt feel the best to me.

Old
10-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Get lessons, not in a row either. Get one lesson...work on the stuff for a week or two...then get another and so on.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Get lessons, not in a row either. Get one lesson...work on the stuff for a week or two...then get another and so on.
The Burner is for a, high handicaper IMO. Ping has the best drivers on the market. I still play the G5 with a x-stiff Mitsubishi shaft. Actually got it off a Ben Clymer on ebay.

Old
10-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjg123* View Post
Well I think I'm the **** now at golf because I made my first birdie today on the final hole when me and my friend were tied. Anyway...

Whenever i'm doing a shot i have to overcompensate by putting my hands ahead of the ball. What I want to know is are my wrists supposed to be breaking and how much?
Well if you want to get technical, it all depends on the club your using. In the case of a Driver, there must be a straight line from your left arm right down the shaft. In order to do that it must be up in your stance meaning the hands "are not" suppost to be ahead of the ball.

http://www.pgatour.com/swingplex/02/39/83/index.html

With Luke Donald, you can draw a straight line from his left shoulder to the ball, not only is it suppost to be like this at address but it should also be like that at impact.

With the PW you are looking to hit down on the ball, you still have a straight line from the shoulder to the ball but since the ball is in the middle to back of your stance it will appear as if your hands are ahead of the ball.

In terms of wrist breakdown, I'm not sure what you mean by this but wrist are only suppost to do one thing in the swing. On the backswing they **** towards the right shoulder, on the follow through they **** towards your left shoulder which completes the release.

Old
10-14-2008, 01:05 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
The Burner is for a, high handicaper IMO. Ping has the best drivers on the market. I still play the G5 with a x-stiff Mitsubishi shaft. Actually got it off a Ben Clymer on ebay.
I would agree that the regular Burner and Burner Draw are for high handicappers, but the Burner TP was absolutely not designed with high handicappers in mind (no driver with a square to open setup was designed for a high handicapper). There were plenty of players on various tours that used that driver until TM came out with the Tour Burner (which I don't like nearly as much as the Burner TP).

I've always loved Ping irons, but the last Ping driver that I liked was the Isi and then Tisi. The G5, G10 and Rapture spin way too much for me.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 10-14-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old
10-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
I would agree that the regular Burner and Burner Draw are for high handicappers, but the Burner TP was absolutely not designed with high handicappers in mind (no driver with a square to open setup was designed for a high handicapper). There were plenty of players on various tours that used that driver until TM came out with the Tour Burner (which I don't like nearly as much as the Burner TP).

I've always loved Ping irons, but the last Ping driver that I liked was the Isi and then Tisi. The G5, G10 and Rapture spin way too much for me.
Almost all driver heads on the market have that high launch and high spin. Its getting fitted with he proper shaft that will allow you to get the optimal ball flight. The Bridgstone J33R is a low spin driver head and probably the longest still on the market.

Edit: Sorry didn't realize the tour burner as a low spin driver head.