HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Can't wait for Laraque in the lineup thread...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-14-2008, 12:50 PM
  #51
Peacock
Registered User
 
Peacock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
Sorry but why are you guys insulting the Pitts fan? He's just giving us his opinion about BGL and how he played for the pens, and it might turn out to be the same for us or it might not, but I still value opinions of the fans of the team he previously played for. As he just mentioned, he wasn't hostile at all.

That being said I can't wait for BGL to be in the lineup, I think he could have made a difference yesterday against the flyers (I think that even though he doesn't always fight just his presence can be intimidating).

Peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 01:35 PM
  #52
JTWymanFan*
 
JTWymanFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bromont,Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
Sorry but why are you guys insulting the Pitts fan? He's just giving us his opinion about BGL and how he played for the pens, and it might turn out to be the same for us or it might not, but I still value opinions of the fans of the team he previously played for. As he just mentioned, he wasn't hostile at all.

That being said I can't wait for BGL to be in the lineup, I think he could have made a difference yesterday against the flyers (I think that even though he doesn't always fight just his presence can be intimidating).
LOL because he hasn't even played one *****'n game with Montreal but yet other teams fans deām it necessary to come here and tell us how bad he is going to be for us and that BGL is too nice and how we are going to be sooooo dissapointed with him...screw them is what i say !!! Plus i cant stand Pitts the city, never have and never will like the place.
I attacked the city in my post never did i attack the poster.

Oh by the way to respond to my friend from Pitts., the MAIN reason Lemieux at the end was so hell bent for leather about the Pens was they owed him so much $$$, did he have a choice.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 01:41 PM
  #53
Patty Roy
Registered User
 
Patty Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corban View Post
Montreal fans read what I quoted. This is the truth, no matter how much you guys want BGL to beat people down he simply will not, unless the opponent decides to take him up on the offer to fight. And just like Harv wrote, "he has no fire to hurt people." He is a very nice guy and that is his problem on the ice, he is just to dam nice.
To a certain degree i actually agree with you....Laraque does seem to be "too nice" for the job he's paid to do.

That said, i do believe that his mere presence will have a positive impact on our club...i dont expect him to chase guys around the ice everytime they hit one of our players, but he will be there to answer the call against guys like Cote, Lucic, Brashear, etc. At the very least that frees up Komisarek to do what he does best.

I think some of us are getting a little carried away with BGL. He's not going to beat up every player that lays a finger on his teammates.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 01:44 PM
  #54
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
It's not the first time I hear ppl say he's too nice and doesn't really go after people often. I guess we'll see.. he might feel the need to do it early to impress the fans or something.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 01:44 PM
  #55
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,191
vCash: 500
Just heard on CKAC that Georges is also anxious to comeback.....without naming names, he talked about yesterday's game and seems to me that he jotted some numbers down.....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 01:47 PM
  #56
JTWymanFan*
 
JTWymanFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bromont,Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Just heard on CKAC that Georges is also anxious to comeback.....without naming names, he talked about yesterday's game and seems to me that he jotted some numbers down.....
That there is my point about BGL. He wants to play in Montreal and he is going to impress family, friends and fans right off the ball by letting other teams know there is no more screwing around with Montreal.

PS i hope Hartnell is on that list, man i hate that........

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 01:48 PM
  #57
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
question: do you think Lucic would fight him? or is he too big?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 01:50 PM
  #58
JTWymanFan*
 
JTWymanFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bromont,Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
question: do you think Lucic would fight him? or is he too big?

IMO Lucic will give it a try. He might actually do well, he is pretty quick with the paws.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 01:58 PM
  #59
kyne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
IMO Lucic will give it a try. He might actually do well, he is pretty quick with the paws.
Perhaps he is at that, but who wins hockey wise when both BGL and Lucic sit in the box for 5 minutes?

kyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:03 PM
  #60
Corban
.
 
Corban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
To a certain degree i actually agree with you....Laraque does seem to be "too nice" for the job he's paid to do.

That said, i do believe that his mere presence will have a positive impact on our club...i dont expect him to chase guys around the ice everytime they hit one of our players, but he will be there to answer the call against guys like Cote, Lucic, Brashear, etc. At the very least that frees up Komisarek to do what he does best.

I think some of us are getting a little carried away with BGL. He's not going to beat up every player that lays a finger on his teammates.
Agreed.

The 2nd paragraph is EXACTLY what he brings to the ice, and trust me I welcomed that 100% in Pittsburgh.

And the 3rd paragraph is spot on as well. There were plenty of times (most of the time towards the end of games) where Georges had the chance to make his presence felt but he did nothing. This lead to him riding the pine quite a bit just for the fact that he would not do his job and that infuriated the coach (very understandable).

Hey, I liked when he got traded to Pittsburgh and I liked him during his time here and I think he does play a valuable role on the ice, but he tends to think he is to skilled for his own good witch leads to him forgetting his main role (enforcer). Good luck with him, he really is a nice guy but do not let your glee ignore the past.

Corban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:09 PM
  #61
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Im not that excited to see Laraque play. If he doesnt fight, he'd be quite invisible. Of course i would like to see him against the Flyers or Bruins, other than that ,i doubt there will have a lot of player who'd be willing to challenge him.

Now, what I cant wait is to see Higgins back and complete our top 9.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:16 PM
  #62
JTWymanFan*
 
JTWymanFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bromont,Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Im not that excited to see Laraque play. If he doesnt fight, he'd be quite invisible. Of course i would like to see him against the Flyers or Bruins, other than that ,i doubt there will have a lot of player who'd be willing to challenge him.

Now, what I cant wait is to see Higgins back and complete our top 9.
Yeah i know what you mean, im not too excited either. If he cant fight......the guy is useless.


http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=_OI4Yn...eature=related

You know whats amazing about that hit, it actually led to a scoring chance.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:18 PM
  #63
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,798
vCash: 500
Is he any closer to coming back, or still about a week away?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:22 PM
  #64
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
Sorry but why are you guys insulting the Pitts fan? He's just giving us his opinion about BGL and how he played for the pens, and it might turn out to be the same for us or it might not, but I still value opinions of the fans of the team he previously played for. As he just mentioned, he wasn't hostile at all.

That being said I can't wait for BGL to be in the lineup, I think he could have made a difference yesterday against the flyers (I think that even though he doesn't always fight just his presence can be intimidating).
The day he was signed I saw about 20 Pens & Oilers fans congratulating us on the main forum. Not one bad word, except from hypocritical Bruins fans...but...they don't really count anyway. So...not one bad word.

The types of comments I remember were such as this:
"I noticed right away how much less abuse Crosby took when we traded for Georges. There's an intimidating presence on the bench with him."

You mean to tell me that all the Pens fans that thought differently just happened to keep it to themselves for 3 months? Or perhaps my memory is a bit selective on this. I suppose hindsight isn't always 20/20.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:25 PM
  #65
shamrun
Registered User
 
shamrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
question: do you think Lucic would fight him? or is he too big?
Probably depends on the game situation

he refused last time


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbNHmNVKxU

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:30 PM
  #66
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
question: do you think Lucic would fight him? or is he too big?
I think it was McPhee that said Lucic has nothing to lose, since fighting him would improve his reputation, & he's not expected to win anyhow. I think he would.

Not that it matters that much anyhow. It wouldn't be a spirited fight, I don't think. Georges would go through the motions, & Lucic would try to wrestle him down. The Bruin fans would annoy us to no end that Milan the Great took on our enforcer, & Big Georges wouldn't beat him as badly as he deserves.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:32 PM
  #67
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
Probably depends on the game situation

he refused last time


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbNHmNVKxU
The kid had a broken nose at the time, he was hit from behind/did a face plant into the boards a few games earlier.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:40 PM
  #68
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,798
vCash: 500
Im not going to crucify Lucic if he doesn't fight Laraque.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:42 PM
  #69
Corban
.
 
Corban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
The day he was signed I saw about 20 Pens & Oilers fans congratulating us on the main forum. Not one bad word, except from hypocritical Bruins fans...but...they don't really count anyway. So...not one bad word.

The types of comments I remember were such as this:
"I noticed right away how much less abuse Crosby took when we traded for Georges. There's an intimidating presence on the bench with him."

You mean to tell me that all the Pens fans that thought differently just happened to keep it to themselves for 3 months? Or perhaps my memory is a bit selective on this. I suppose hindsight isn't always 20/20.
Well you are just flat out wrong. In the "Laraque traded to MTL" thread in the Trade Forum just in the 1st page alone there are 5 posts out of 25 that pertain to EXACTLY what I was just saying.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...hlight=Laraque

Corban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:48 PM
  #70
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
I think it was McPhee that said Lucic has nothing to lose, since fighting him would improve his reputation, & he's not expected to win anyhow. I think he would.

Not that it matters that much anyhow. It wouldn't be a spirited fight, I don't think. Georges would go through the motions, & Lucic would try to wrestle him down. The Bruin fans would annoy us to no end that Milan the Great took on our enforcer, & Big Georges wouldn't beat him as badly as he deserves.
I rarely disagree with mcphee, but his opinion in this instance seems more than a little off.

A guy looking to make a name for himself, who wanted to be the top heavyweight might be inclined to throw caution to the wind and slug it out with Laraque, but I really don't think that the Bruins have that type of role in mind for Lucic. I'm not saying that the kid isn't tough, however he got worked over pretty good by Gleason and Erskine last year and those guys are not in the same league as BGL.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:50 PM
  #71
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corban View Post
Well you are just flat out wrong. In the "Laraque traded to MTL" thread in the Trade Forum just in the 1st page alone there are 5 posts out of 25 that pertain to EXACTLY what I was just saying.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...hlight=Laraque
The Pens have a coach that likes to instigate, the CH want a guy to regulate. That's simplifying a bit but that's the idea. Laraque will probably fight a bit more early in the year with the idea that he doesn't have to later. I think we'll see the new sheriff in town dynamic for a little while.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:57 PM
  #72
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I rarely disagree with mcphee, but his opinion in this instance seems more than a little off.

A guy looking to make a name for himself, who wanted to be the top heavyweight might be inclined to throw caution to the wind and slug it out with Laraque, but I really don't think that the Bruins have that type of role in mind for Lucic. I'm not saying that the kid isn't tough, however he got worked over pretty good by Gleason and Erskine last year and those guys are not in the same league as BGL.
I still think if Lucic decided to slug it out with GL, he has little to lose except maybe teeth. If he loses, he gets points for showing up, if he wins, the urban legend grows. I guess the downside is if he gets beaten badly....

No the B's don't have that role in mind for him, but it's hard to say what the kid's mindset is. It depends whether he thinks he has to challenge everyone with a rep or play a hard tough game while getting better. It might be academic anyways, a healthier Boston team, able to put out a couple solid scoring lines will probably paly a different game.

I'm ambivalent on the whole topic because I find myself flip flopping on the role of fighting in the game, but I guess if it's there, you may as well have guys good at it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 03:02 PM
  #73
Corban
.
 
Corban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
The Pens have a coach that likes to instigate, the CH want a guy to regulate. That's simplifying a bit but that's the idea. Laraque will probably fight a bit more early in the year with the idea that he doesn't have to later. I think we'll see the new sheriff in town dynamic for a little while.
I see what you are saying, and I somewhat agree with ya. But the main issue with BGL here is that he DID NOT regulate at times when he had the opportunity. And again I agree with ya in the fact that I do think since he is the "new guy" he will want to show his might, but the key part in your sentence there is "for a little while." In my opinion he will make a splash, but then he will get comfortable and let his hockey skills take over, forgetting his enforcer duties. And that is if we take the past into account. But hey good luck, I always liked him but that is not to say he did not have his faults.

Corban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 03:12 PM
  #74
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I still think if Lucic decided to slug it out with GL, he has little to lose except maybe teeth. If he loses, he gets points for showing up, if he wins, the urban legend grows. I guess the downside is if he gets beaten badly....

No the B's don't have that role in mind for him, but it's hard to say what the kid's mindset is. It depends whether he thinks he has to challenge everyone with a rep or play a hard tough game while getting better. It might be academic anyways, a healthier Boston team, able to put out a couple solid scoring lines will probably paly a different game.

I'm ambivalent on the whole topic because I find myself flip flopping on the role of fighting in the game, but I guess if it's there, you may as well have guys good at it.
The part I bolded is the key for me because it's a very real possibility. The Kid should stick to his own weight class, most sensible Bruin fans don't want to see Lucic mix it up with BGL, same as we would cringe if Komisarek got into a scrap with Colton Orr or Eric Godard etc...

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 03:13 PM
  #75
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corban View Post
I see what you are saying, and I somewhat agree with ya. But the main issue with BGL here is that he DID NOT regulate at times when he had the opportunity. And again I agree with ya in the fact that I do think since he is the "new guy" he will want to show his might, but the key part in your sentence there is "for a little while." In my opinion he will make a splash, but then he will get comfortable and let his hockey skills take over, forgetting his enforcer duties. And that is if we take the past into account. But hey good luck, I always liked him but that is not to say he did not have his faults.
The cycles with that stuff are funny. I heard talk of how Therrien sent out a tough guy in the Ottawa game and it cost him a point. Teams see this and the highlights are full of Crosby taking shots, all with the idea, I'm sure of Therrien going nuts.

I think that if fans expect GL to go out and start something, just to show he's mean, they'll be dispointed. I do think though that if a 4th line targets a guy like Markov, he'll take action.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Š2014 All Rights Reserved.