HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Top Prospect Cherepanov passes away during hockey game

Old
10-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Marksman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firthbird View Post
I agree.. very tragic.. and very disrespectful of the arena. Any time there is an injury the music/PA system shouldn't run.

I wasn't impressed by that at all
Not only that, but it seems some people actually clapped seeing him being dragged away like that.

Just sad and unneccesary death...

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 03:42 PM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
MOSCOW - Russian hockey player Alexei Cherepanov, who collapsed and died during a game, had heart problems and probably should not have been allowed to play, a regional investigator suggested Tuesday.

Yulia Zhukova said Cherepanov, who died Monday playing for Avangard Omsk in a Continental Hockey League game outside of Moscow, apparently had chronic ischemia - a medical condition that occurs when the heart or other organs do not get enough blood.

"Checks will be conducted to clarify, in particular, why the sportsman with such an illness went onto the ice," Zhukova said.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=252611&l...=secStory_main

I hope its not true they were aware of the problem, then there is a major issue...

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 03:48 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Not only that, but it seems some people actually clapped seeing him being dragged away like that.

Just sad and unneccesary death...
Isn't it customary to applaud the player under those circumstances? How many times have we seen the crowd applaud (not in a bad way)for a player who has been injured on the ice leave on a stretcher? Not sure why we do it, but we do.

As far as the music goes, how does the DJ know what's going on in the bench? Don't read too much into the behaviour of the people at the game. It was an extraordinary event- hopefully no one ever has to learn a protocol for this type of tragedy.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 05:37 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Isn't it customary to applaud the player under those circumstances? How many times have we seen the crowd applaud (not in a bad way)for a player who has been injured on the ice leave on a stretcher? Not sure why we do it, but we do.

Yes, their is no way that crowd could have known what was really going on and that he was unresponsive. I believe we applaud an injured player basically just to show support.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 06:22 PM
1UP

A mix of being unlucky and incompetence.

Insanely tragic. I wonder if that's the way Jagr saw things when he left for Russia. He's the last person of have spoken to the kid, and if i was him I'd feel very bad and sad.

Some deaths, like Bourdon, are tragic, but couldn't be avoided. This one is worse because it could have been avoided.

Heart out to his family and friends.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
A mix of being unlucky and incompetence.

Insanely tragic. I wonder if that's the way Jagr saw things when he left for Russia. He's the last person of have spoken to the kid, and if i was him I'd feel very bad and sad.

Some deaths, like Bourdon, are tragic, but couldn't be avoided. This one is worse because it could have been avoided.

Heart out to his family and friends.
Of course it could have been avoided. Just by not buying a bike and getting a car instead he could still be alive today.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
Of course it could have been avoided. Just by not buying a bike and getting a car instead he could still be alive today.
I think he meant after the accident.

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
But he could've died in a car crash the very next day... that was an unfortunate accident, but his death wasn't the result of negligence like in the case of Cherepanov, where:
- No amublance on site*
- No AED (defib) on site*
- No doctor on site*
- No stretcher on site*

definitely minimized his chances of survival after the inital cardiac arrest (which by itself is a freak accident, but more should've been done to attend to him in a professional and timely manner, like in Fischer's case).

*as far as we know, according to a great column written by Bob Mackenzie earlier today

Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:22 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road for the 25th View Post
But he could've died in a car crash the very next day... that was an unfortunate accident, but his death wasn't the result of negligence like in the case of Cherepanov, where:
- No amublance on site*
- No AED (defib) on site*
- No doctor on site*
- No stretcher on site*

definitely minimized his chances of survival after the inital cardiac arrest (which by itself is a freak accident, but more should've been done to attend to him in a professional and timely manner, like in Fischer's case).

*as far as we know, according to a great column written by Bob Mackenzie earlier today

They did revive him right after they carried him off the bench. They lost him again after a short while though.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Kachino

vCash: 50
Quote:
MOSCOW (AP) -Alexei Cherepanov had heart problems and probably should not have been allowed to play in a game in which he collapsed and died, a regional investigator suggested Tuesday.

Yulia Zhukova said Cherepanov, who died Monday playing for Avangard Omsk in a Continental Hockey League game outside of Moscow, apparently had chronic ischemia - a medical condition when not enough blood gets to the heart or other organs.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=386600

I think that's similar to what David Carle is suffering from... which doesn't allow him to play hockey anymore...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote