HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lindros is a possibility and a few other Oiler tidbits

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2004, 08:29 AM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Lindros is a possibility and a few other Oiler tidbits

According to Brownlee the oilers hold mild intrique about signing Lindros Lowe of course says Nedved is their number 1 priority but they would look into siging Lindros.

Also there is some doubt about the status of Marty Reasoner.

An interesting Lowe quote. "If there wasn't some concern about Marty and his health we'd just focus on Nedved. If that didn't work out, we'd find or trade for someone else".

So if Nedved signs somewhere else look for the Oilers to try to sign another centre or trade for one.

Edited to include link.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040701/nhl_edm_nyr-sun.html

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 07-01-2004 at 12:09 PM.
Old
07-01-2004, 09:00 AM
Lowetide

That Reasoner play looked awful the first time, and keeps getting worse. Brutal play for the Oilers, and the worst possible luck for a fine hockey player.

As for Lindros, why? He's one hit away from ending his career or worse, and as of now he's a power forward who plays a perimeter game.

Conroy, Rolston, there's any number of free agent centers who would be more suitable to gamble several million dollars on imo.

Old
07-01-2004, 10:50 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 0
Lindros will self implode in Edmonton---

that aside---If Lindros signed anywhere in canada--it would be for those god damn ****ing *******s in Toronto

There is no way Lindros signs anywhere else in Canada--his ego is too big

Old
07-01-2004, 11:15 AM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Does Toronto not realize what is coming September 15??? 6.5 million to Roberts and Nuiewendyke?????

Last edited by Jim_Harnock: 07-01-2004 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Circumventing the obscenity filter is bad! Tsk, tsk!
Old
07-01-2004, 11:47 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

I wouldn't mind having Lindros here if they structure his contract in a way that he has to play however many games in order to hit different levels of his pay. Keep in mind throughout his career, Lindros has been a point a game player in each of his seasons except the last two, but he still put up some pretty good numbers.

Even if he does get his melon crushed in january, we still get him for half the season right?

Of course, there's a sliiiim chance that the Lindros family would agree to this, and hopefully he won't be giving Schremp any ideas for the future.

Old
07-01-2004, 11:56 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
I wouldn't mind having Lindros here if they structure his contract in a way that he has to play however many games in order to hit different levels of his pay. Keep in mind throughout his career, Lindros has been a point a game player in each of his seasons except the last two, but he still put up some pretty good numbers.

Even if he does get his melon crushed in january, we still get him for half the season right?

Of course, there's a sliiiim chance that the Lindros family would agree to this, and hopefully he won't be giving Schremp any ideas for the future.
He is a UFA we wouldn't have to give up anything, but I would say pass unless he was a very reasonable contract built on incentives.

Old
07-01-2004, 01:34 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
An interesting Lowe quote. "If there wasn't some concern about Marty and his health we'd just focus on Nedved. If that didn't work out, we'd find or trade for someone else".
Well, if I'm Lowe I'm looking for a good centre that helps you win. And I'm also aware that the prospect of signing Nedved is going to help the boys selling season tickets.

So what if word starts leaking out that I'm shopping for another centre??? Or even more damning, what if I make a trade ... let's say Brewer for an effective but non-glamourous centre ... are fans going to be pished when they think that this is "in lieu of Nedved"? Probably.

But not if they think it is in lieu of Reasoner (health reasons )

I'm hoping its a think like igor ... act like Lowetide thing It often is. We'll see.

Old
07-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Hemsky4PM

I doubt Lindros would ever come here.

We should just resign Nedved and the middle will still be sound even if Marty can't go.
Nedved, York, Horcoff and Stoll. I'm happy with that. And have that goon Bishai as the 5th guy.
I don't like the idea of York on the wing because we need to have Hemsky, Dvorak, Smyth and Torres as the top 4 wingers.

Old
07-01-2004, 02:04 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Does anyone thinks Horcoff is a 2nd line centre??? I dont think he has the tools

Old
07-01-2004, 02:15 PM
tylerr

Send a message via MSN to tylerr
I would never want Lindros as an Oiler. Not even if it were with a reasonable contract.

Old
07-01-2004, 02:45 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Signing Lindros seems, to me, like a move that would have a very high possibility of blowing up in your face. Dopita and Oates might have been duds, but at least the damage to the team was minimal-- limited mostly just to dollars and ice-time. I have a feeling that Lindros might not just underachieve and take money and ice-time that could be better used, but also damage the locker-room and the chemistry, and possibly turn into the kind of off-ice circus that the Lindros family has been known for in the past.

The only thing I can think of that points in favor of the idea of bringing Lindros in is that the last time Lindros was an effective hockey player he was on a line with Mike York.

Old
07-01-2004, 02:45 PM
outKast*

If Lindros Signed here in Edmonton our top 6 would look like the NYR Top 6 a couple years ago. We'd have the Czech line replacing Hlavac with Hemsky and 2/3's of the FLY line without Fleury and replacing him with Smyth. BOO YAH

Hemsky Nedved Dvorak
Smyth Lindros York

Lindros already has proven chemistry with York and Mikey had his best years playing with Eric Lindros. it's a win win if he signs for 500,000 base salary and huge bonuses for every point he gets. i know i know...never going to happen.

Last edited by outKast*: 07-01-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old
07-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Hemsky is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

re

If we signed him, he'd score 40 goals in 40 games, then get injured for the rest of the season and we'd still have to pay him large bonuses for offensive production. Something like that is just destined to happen.

Old
07-01-2004, 03:09 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
... I'm hoping its a think like igor ... act like Lowetide thing It often is. We'll see.
I like the way igor thinks.

Old
07-01-2004, 03:17 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
If Lindros Signed here in Edmonton our top 6 would look like the NYR Top 6 a couple years ago. We'd have the Czech line replacing Hlavac with Hemsky and 2/3's of the FLY line without Fleury and replacing him with Smyth. BOO YAH

Hemsky Nedved Dvorak
Smyth Lindros York

Lindros already has proven chemistry with York and Mikey had his best years playing with Eric Lindros. it's a win win if he signs for 500,000 base salary and huge bonuses for every point he gets. i know i know...never going to happen.
IMO, these lines would look the best:

York - Nedved - Dvorak
Smyth - Weiss - Hemsky

Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 07-01-2004 at 03:23 PM.
Old
07-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Elvis Lives

Lindros

Big E is one wicked hit from having to wear Depends as part of his equipment . . . Lowe didn't sound very interested in cleaning up the mess when that happens.
:lol

Closed Thread