HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

If Higgins & BGL are in: who's out ?

Old
10-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
That SUCKS !

The Bruins will certainly have fun hitting our players all nite long.
Um, no. Our skilled guys and Kostopoulos may lose a fight against their goons, but in the hitting department, we are pretty even.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 06:04 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Dandy and Kosto.

There's no way Max Lapierre is out of the lineup... Absolutely no way.

Not going to happen, he's the one chosen by Carbonneau to fill in on the 3rd line...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglove View Post
no way! gives O'byrne body to Gorges and you've a Komisarek type of D!

O'Byrne is one of the less physical 6 foot 5 D in the league
Completely false imo. He hit a lot of people in the boards in the first three games. My guess is you haven't noticed because they were road games: the fans didn't cheer.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 06:42 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
Completely false imo. He hit a lot of people in the boards in the first three games. My guess is you haven't noticed because they were road games: the fans didn't cheer.
Absolutely right, he had a lot of good hits in all 3 games.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Slippy13

Damn that sucks. I'm going to the game tomorrow and was really hoping BGL would play

Lets hope something changes tomorrow.

Slippy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:29 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
O'Byrne is better than Gorges. (and Brisebois will be scratched before them anyways.)
Huh?

Gorges is a better passer, better skater, better positionally and executes Carbonneau's system considerably better. Hell, Gorges might even be more physical!

In what capacity is O'Byrne better?

A lot of people seem to be mixing up O'Byrne's potential with his reality. Right now they are wildly different things.

It's like Leaf fans with Luke Schenn ... They seem to think he's already arrived and he's a mix of Scott Stevens and Chris Pronger.

Patience, grasshopper... patience.

Last edited by FerrisRox: 10-14-2008 at 08:35 PM.
FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Huh?

Gorges is a better passer, better skater, better positionally and executes Carbonneau's system considerably better.

In what capacity is O'Byrne better?

A lot of people seem to be mixing up O'Byrne's potential with his reality. Right now they are wildly different things.

It's like Leaf fans with Luke Schenn ... They seem to think he's already arrived and he's a mix of Scott Stevens and Chris Pronger.

Patience, grasshopper... patience.
Gotta agree here...especially about the Schenn part

With O'Byrne, as long as he keeps getting at least 14-16mins a game playing alongside Hamrlik in low pressure situations, he'll be fine IMO...can't expect him to do to much with the puck for now but he if can learn to settle down in the defensive zone and do less running around, i think they'll have a much better player come March, April...I think the Habs are good enough to play around O'Byrne's mistakes for now.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Balk
Healthy Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglove View Post
I reconnected my N64 yesterday. I almost cried playing NHL99.

I choose montreal for a quick match-up

This is our D back in 99!

Vladimir Malakhov (-7)
Stephane Quintal (-23)
Eric Weinrich (-12)
Patrice Brisebois (-8)
Igor Ulanov (-3)
Craig Rivet (-3)

Our goaltender:

Frederic Chabot
Jeff Hackett
Jocelyn Thibeault
Jose Theodore

Most goals: Martin Rucinsky (17)
Most assists: Mark Recchi (35)
Most points: Mark Recchi (47)

Lineup by position

Martin Rucinski - Saku Koivu - Mark Recchi
Brian Savage - Vincent Damphousse - Danius Zubrus
Shayne Corson - Sergei Zholtok - Turner Stevenson
Benoit Brunet - Scott Thornton - Patrick Poulin
Jonas Hoglund

I don't mean to nit pick but Recchi was traded for Zubrus so take out one top six forward from that model. Still it shows how much more money the Habs are today are than they were in the late 90s and in the 2000s.

Cheers,

Balk

Balk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Balk
Healthy Scratch

When discussing who Carbo is most likely to sit, I think it is important to consider the handedness of the shooter. Carbo seems not to like having grinders play on their off wing. So this definetely plays into the hands of Begin and against Kostopolous, so I would be surprised to see the 4th line be:
Begin-Laps-BGL

Also, Carbo might not want a fourth line of all right handed shooters.

Cheers,

Balky

Balk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Nope.

Begin, Dandenault, Brisebois.

The three single worst players of the first three games.
I 100% agree....

Kosto >> Begin or Dandy
O'B >>>> Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Weird line, I would fit Lapierre in there to get some speed.

EDIT: and I totally agree than Gorges with O'Byrne's body would be awesome, but that's not the case. But O'Byrne is a better puck mover than both Komisarek and Gorges, he WILL hit from times to times and the size advantage make him better than Gorges in the corners or in front of the net.

To me, Gorges is a great 3rd paring D, but not a 2nd pairing D. Last year he was better than O'Byrne, but O'Byrne seems a lot more confortable this year. (yeah it might be a streak, but I think he's simply better now)
as for the bolded part... no way dude... I like O'B but he has the worst first pass on the team (assuming we count Dandy as a forward...). O'B might get better with time though.. and he's better than Breezy overall right now... so I leave him in the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifi View Post
We all know that its 99.9% that Chipchura will be sent to Hamilton Wednesday if Laroque is back, but why can't the Habs trade him now even if its for draft round pick to give him a chance to play I know there is teams out there that would be happy to have them in thier system and give him an opportunity to play. Man, they just don't have any confidence in him at all. It makes no sense everyone says that his vision and hockey sense is greater than Begin, Lapierre and yet he sees no ice time. Is it possibe to be able to trade him this early in season?
There is no room for him now... but he may be needed next year as we have a lot of UFA forwards.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-15-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:27 AM
gusfring

Andei-Pleks-Kovy
Higgs-Koivu-Tanguay
Lats-Lang-Sergei
Kostopolous-Laps-George

Markov-Komi
Hamr-O'byrne
Georges-Bouillon

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:42 AM
londonwingfan

latendresse?

hey guys. red wings fan here, and i come in peace. just curious what line latendresse is playing on. im pretty sure that i read somewhere that he is playing on the second line. for my fantasy team, im pretty sure that i am going to drop jiri hudler, and pick up latendresse, to replace him on rw. i appreciate any help you guyts can give me.

londonwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Andei-Pleks-Kovy
Higgs-Koivu-Tanguay
Lats-Lang-Sergei
Kostopolous-Laps-George

Markov-Komi
Hamr-O'byrne
Georges-Bouillon
That's what it should be and that's what it will be IMO. I know Lats has had a great start to the season but Higgins is a better player than him and should be playing top 6 minutes.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:44 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
He's currently playing on the second line with Koivu and Tanguay, but he'll likely be replaced by Higgins when he comes back from his injury on Saturday. That'll move Latendresse down to the third with Lang and Sergei Kostitsyn.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeah what hototogisu said.

Haddock

He does play on the second line alongside Saku and Tanguay. He was supposed to start on the third line with Lang and S.Kostitsyn but the Higgins injury promoted him. He will probably go back to the Lang line once Higgins shows he's ready to go back with Koivu. Could take a little time tough and Carbo could very well keep Latendresse on the second line if he keeps on playing like he did in the first three games. That's a big if.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
He's currently playing on the second line with Koivu and Tanguay, but he'll likely be replaced by Higgins when he comes back from his injury on Saturday. That'll move Latendresse down to the third with Lang and Sergei Kostitsyn.
link?

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:47 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
link?
I don't have a link but it's common knowledge that Higgins was going to start the season with Tanguay and Koivu. They played together in the preseason, in practices, etc.

Maybe Carbo will choose to keep Latendresse with Koivu and Tanguay and start Higgins on the third, that's possible too.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
link?
We're just guessing, I don't think it's been said where Latendresse will play once Higgins comes back.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CH4

Quote:
link?
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/261599.html

for his return on saturday

don't know with who he'll play tho

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
londonwingfan

cool thanks guys. i really like jiri hudler, but he just doesnt seem to be cutting it playing with zetterberg and franzen. i think im gonna go ahead and trade hudler for latendresse. one more thing, what are the odds that he stays healthy for a good chunk of the season?

Old
10-15-2008, 08:50 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonwingfan View Post
cool thanks guys. i really like jiri hudler, but he just doesnt seem to be cutting it playing with zetterberg and franzen. i think im gonna go ahead and trade hudler for latendresse. one more thing, what are the odds that he stays healthy for a good chunk of the season?
I think he suffered a concussion in juniors 3 years ago, but since then he's been healthy. He's definitely not injury prone.

Also, even if Latendresse goes down to the third line, he'll be playing with Lang and Sergei, two guys that he's shown to have chemistry with.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:51 AM
londonwingfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I think he suffered a concussion in juniors 3 years ago, but since then he's been healthy. He's definitely not injury prone.

Also, even if Latendresse goes down to the third line, he'll be playing with Lang and Sergei, two guys that he's shown to have chemistry with.

cool guys. appreciate the help, and the quickness of it.

Old
10-15-2008, 09:01 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonwingfan View Post
Really good. He played 81 games in his first season, and last year he played over 72 games I think. But he really did improve this summer and is looking great out there. Anyway, just so you know, our "third" line has arguably been our best line so far in the season, as S. Kostitsyn plays really well and Robert Lang is surprising every Habs fan in a great way. We have a 2a and a 2b line... Lang is arguably our best forward so far at this point of the season.

As for my fellow Habs fans... The Higgins - Koivu - Tanguay line didn't work at all in the preseason. In the last two games, Latendresse played great with those two (Tanguay - Koivu). Why would we start again from scrap and try to beuild a chemestry between those three? The regular season is already started, I say let things like they are until it stops going well.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:03 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Really good. He played 81 games in his first season, and last year he played over 72 games I think. But he really did improve this summer and is looking great out there. Anyway, just so you know, our "third" line has arguably been our best line so far in the season, as S. Kostitsyn plays really well and Robert Lang is surprising every Habs fan in a great way. We have a 2a and a 2b line... Lang is arguably our best forward so far at this point of the season.

As for my fellow Habs fans... The Higgins - Koivu - Tanguay line didn't work at all in the preseason. In the last two games, Latendresse played great with those two (Tanguay - Koivu). Why would we start again from scrap and try to beuild a chemestry between those three? The regular season is already started, I say let things like they are until it stops going well.
Exactly, put higgins with lang ans sk

tender is a keeper with tanguay and saku

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote