HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

The Problem: Hartsburg, please line shuffle as little as possible...

Old
10-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Kamina
Amok

vCash: 500
The Problem: Hartsburg, please line shuffle as little as possible...

I really didn't like the look of Kelly-Vermette-Neil. We did pretty good with this:

Heatley - Spezza - Ruutu
Vermette - Kelly - Winchester
Foligno - Fisher - Neil
Schubert - McAmmond - Donovan

In my opinion, it should be kept that way. Detroit really started to take advantage around the time Hartsburg started tinkering more than usual. Our skaters are fine. We need to have time for our players to get used to playing with their linemates.

IMO, VKW would have done really well against the Franzen line, which killed us in the third period.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:38 PM
KingKarlsson

I agree with you for the most part, how players should be given time to create chemistry. However, Ruutu did look a little lost on that top line, and I found Winchester did a far better job with Speatley. When Alfie gets back, we should put VKW back together, because then we could have two good shutdown lines.

I'd also like to point out that it was called the Franzen line last night, despite the fact Zetterberg in on it. It just shows how our D made him look invisible for the most part.

KingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:40 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
My only issue is that he continues to keep Vermette and Kelly together. If he wanted to try Fisher and Vermette together in the preseason, then this is his chance with a week of practice, and I'd like to see that.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:58 PM
TheHMan

Actually the problem I saw last night is that we really didn't identify the trigger man on each line. I saw many people who were adept at cycling the puck, but you always need one individual who should know when to just shoot the puck on net.

A perfect example is one of those lines with Kelly, Vermette, and I forget who else. They had a very good rush, but they made one too many drop passes and tried to setup the perfect play.

There are other cases with Neil and the 3rd line. They'd cycle the puck in Detroit's zone but never really do much to press the attack. They play a fantastic team game and support each other quite well, but that's all they're doing, I don't think it will do much to score us some goals.

On the upside, Picard actually takes a few shots on net, and we were able to move our guys off the point. I haven't seen this team do that in years.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadSen View Post
I really didn't like the look of Kelly-Vermette-Neil. We did pretty good with this:

Heatley - Spezza - Ruutu
Vermette - Kelly - Winchester
Foligno - Fisher - Neil

In my opinion, it should be kept that way. Detroit really started to take advantage around the time Hartsburg started tinkering more than usual. Our skaters are fine. We need to have time for our players to get used to playing with their linemates.

IMO, VKW would have done really well against the Franzen line, which killed us in the third period.
What killed us iss more a bad line change and a mix of Gerber goaltending/bad-luck... It would still have happened, whatever the line who was on the ice...

I love Ruutu but i don't think he should be on the 1st line...
My line-up during Alfie's absence :

Heatley - Spezza - Winchester
Vermette - Fisher - Foligno
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:54 PM
turrible
Sens Rising

Foligno gets a shot with Speatley

The next in line to get a shot with Spezza and Heatley, Nick Foligno.link

I love Foligno and he is deserving of a shot at a higher profile next to two superstars. However, the emphasis of finding the right guy for Speatley is misguided. The problem is Speatley can't carry a line. They have never had consistent success without being next to Alfie.

turrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:58 PM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mold Spore View Post

I love Foligno and he is deserving of a shot at a higher profile next to two superstars. However, the emphasis of finding the right guy for Speatley is misguided. The problem is Speatley can't carry a line. They have never had consistent success without being next to Alfie.
Actually that is just Spezza's problem as Heatley did quite well in Atlanta. And against detroit.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 04:38 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammitch View Post
Actually that is just Spezza's problem as Heatley did quite well in Atlanta. And against detroit.
Not really. Spezza gets all the criticism, but Heatley was just as unnoticeable.

Old
10-13-2008, 06:20 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Heard tonight (forget if it was CTV or A Channel) that Foligno will likely be lined up with Heatley and Spezza on Friday.

So who plays with Fisher? WIll Vermete and Kelly will still be together?
Maybe Vermette/ Fisher/Winchester?

There was an article on Fisher and how he would be expected to provide secondary scoring today in the Citizen.

I don't see how they can keep expecting Fisher and Vermette to provide lots of secondary scoring and continue playing them on grinding/defensive lines with Kelly and Neil.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Heard tonight (forget if it was CTV or A Channel) that Foligno will likely be lined up with Heatley and Spezza on Friday.

There was an article on Fisher and how he would be expected to provide secondary scoring today in the Citizen.

I don't see how they can keep expecting Fisher and Vermette to provide lots of secondary scoring and continue playing them on grinding/defensive lines with Kelly and Neil.
We all want that line it seems. Hartsburg is breaking our Hart and making us all stay indoors like a Sburg. I'M SPERGIN' OUT.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 06:43 PM
pepty

The Sun has an article about Foligno playing on the top line,but they don't say what the other lines are.

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Sena...3/7071041.html

Senators coach Craig Hartsburg said Monday morning fans should get used to a lot of different combinations.

"There's lots of questions about lines, that's great, for me, it's not a big deal to change lines around. In the old days there was a line and it would stay together for 10, 12 years. Now it's 10 minutes in a game. That's the way the game has changed, which is good. It makes players are more versatile. You want them to be able to play different roles in different situations," said Hartsburg.

Phillips didn't practice but is expected back Wednesday.

Old
10-13-2008, 07:11 PM
SNAPshot

What I like is that Hartsburg seems unafraid to try things out. I'm sure he'll shake things up shortly.

Let's keep in mind that we hadn't played in a week, that we have another 6 days that was before the next game on friday, therefore we've not only been playing tough teams, but we're rusty as well.

Foligno deserves his shot, and he's played there some of last season.

Another point I have to bring up is that we're going to have a group of games in a row coming up and that'll really help gel the team and get us on somewhat of a groove.

SNAPshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:

If Foligno stays one the 1st line, i wish that the line-up will be like this until Alfie returns :

Foligno-Spezza-Heatley
Vermette-Fisher-Winchester
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Schubert-McAmmond-Donovan

Old
10-14-2008, 08:06 AM
pepty

According to the Citizxen today, with Foligno on the top line the second line was
Vermette/Fisher/Winchester.

He said he wanted to see Vermette and Fisher together as they are both fast skaters and 2 way players.

Old
10-14-2008, 09:00 AM
kyle747

dumb

Fisher belongs with Neil & Foligno or Ruutu. That can be a dominant line. The second line is the problem - as we all know.

I don't mind Vermette with Winchester, but we need another player who can complement Vermette - and kelly is not it.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:07 AM
pepty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mold Spore View Post

This problem is just getting more glaring with time.
They are the superstars on the team and the future of the franchise.
They have to learn be more adaptable, they have to make players
around them better as Alfie does instead of looking lost without him.

Old
10-14-2008, 11:06 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Kelly has been removed from Vermette's hip at even strength. That's all I wanted.

Old
10-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
According to the Citizxen today, with Foligno on the top line the second line was
Vermette/Fisher/Winchester.

He said he wanted to see Vermette and Fisher together as they are both fast skaters and 2 way players.
Very good. That's about what i wanted to see...

Foligno-Spezza-Heatley
Vermette-Fisher-Winchester
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Schubert-McAmmond-Donovan

It would be my depht chart lines based on scoring potential... This line-up looks better with Alfie but it's still good. We need to develop more secondary scorers and that's why we need to keep Foligno and Winchester in those situations. Then, in the next year or 2, i'll be looking forward to have Regin and/or O'brien and/or Zubov make an offensive impact.