HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Props to Brunet: The Benoit appreciation thread

Old
10-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Gros Bill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
I like it. Its so flowy and liberal. It makes me believe in freedom.
It's all unruly and communistical. I makes me think of the gulags.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Donkeyz

''C'est dississile''

Donkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
But I do agree with you re: Pierre and Yvon's "proper" pronounciations versus popular usage. A classic example being "Antero Nittoumaki".
You forgot the best one: "Tomas Vokohhhwn"

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
Brunet is decent. What a relief, at least he knows what he's talking about when analyzing plays.

Lestriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 04:59 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
more than blue paint ?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
You forgot the best one: "Tomas Vokohhhwn"
You can't forget Tony Ludman or the best is Radek Vorjak (Dvorak)...

Also I need to quote a post from another thread (RDS Player name) because it's just too funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Ya, you can say that again... I remember them speaking about PJ Axelsson, but just to show how good they are, they kept repeating his entire name, "Per Johan Axelsson!" "Per Johan Axelsson!" "Per Johan Axelsson!"

Hey man, I know what the PJ stands for, am I HOT or what??????

Last edited by Max et Guillaume: 10-14-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 06:02 PM
wedge

Brunet is fine. I like the fact that he doesn't care at all about baseball and F-1, so Pierre doesn't talk about it for a few minutes and missing plays and goals. I like the fact that Pierre isn't sucking up to him. It's like if Pierre Houde respected Yvon too much and that everything Yvon said was right. We don't feel that with Benoit and it's refreshing. Brunet doesn't have to be always right and Pierre can have a different opinion.

I don't feel the chemistry that we saw between Pierre and Yvon but I don't care. I couldn't stand these two clowns together anymore. Pierre is a good commentator when he sticks to the game. that's what has happened so far this year and I've been pleased.

What I hate is during the intermissions. Bergeron and Gagnon are awful.

wedge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

I didn't have the chance to listen to a game on RDS yet, but I know he could teach us a lot of stuff. The thing is, the vast majority of listeners think they know their hockey and would feel that Brunet is "bragging" about his knowledge. In Québec, you can't show that you know more about something, it's perceived as arrogance.

When the news come out (about him becoming the new colour guy) Brunet made an interview on CKAC. He said "for example, I could explain why we use this kind of schema on the powerplay (something Pednault couldn't do) but I'm not here to teach, fans know their etc,...
I remember something similar with Demers, where he was talking about how he would bring the point guy higher for x reason, then excusing himself for been to technical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
If you want in depth, brilliant analysis, aimed for hockey pros, there are special dedicated shows. The live transmission of a game is not the place for that.
Like??? I'm still looking for some.

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 06:41 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra View Post
I didn't have the chance to listen to a game on RDS yet, but I know he could teach us a lot of stuff. The thing is, the vast majority of listeners think they know their hockey and would feel that Brunet is "bragging" about his knowledge. In Québec, you can't show that you know more about something, it's perceived as arrogance.

When the news come out (about him becoming the new colour guy) Brunet made an interview on CKAC. He said "for example, I could explain why we use this kind of schema on the powerplay (something Pednault couldn't do) but I'm not here to teach, fans know their etc,...
I remember something similar with Demers, where he was talking about how he would bring the point guy higher for x reason, then excusing himself for been to technical

I've always thought that American based broadcast teams describe or analyze the game from a more technical standpoint. When I used to look for games on the transistor dial, yeah I really did that as a kid, the US broadcast teams would actually break down theplay where the Canadian ones were limited to, 'thye're really skating tonight'.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Beakermania*

This thread makes me miss the days of

Ma Parole

RDS

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-15-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Booba
Bouger les pieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I don't notice him too much....should be a good thing?
That's because Pierre is talking 90-95% of the time...

When Yvon was there, it was more like 60/40 (60% for Pierre and 40% for Yvon)

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Habitants

i almost forgot how much i hated RDS!

even after the changes, RDS still sucks!

i will be watching to night on TSN!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:26 AM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road for the 25th View Post
You can't forget Tony Ludman or the best is Radek Vorjak (Dvorak)...

Also I need to quote a post from another thread (RDS Player name) because it's just too funny:
Both of these players are actually called that way by their team announcer.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:35 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Ben is a Teddy Bear. As such he won't bother anyone. He won't ever be annoying like Pednault. So he will be fine. But for all his faults, Pednault brought an energetic "Big Time" feel that will never be there with Brunet. When you turned on RDS during a hockey game with Houde and Yvon you knew you were listening/watching two professionals(even if the comments sucked).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Btw, Joel Bouchard is the best acquisition RDS has made..

Yannick (whatever his name is) is so so.. but clearly Bouchard knows his stuff.
That's why him sitting next to Demers doesn't work in my opinion. He's so above and beyond him. I swear if this team continue during the season, sooner or later Joel is gonna laugh at Demers to his face or call him a fool. It is bonded to happen.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-15-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
That's why him sitting next to Demers doesn't work in my opinion. He's so above and beyond him. I swear if this team continue during the season, sooner or later Joel is gonna laugh at Demers to his face or call him a fool. It is bonded to happen.
Calling a coach who has won a couple of Stanley cups a fool would be pretty stupid. Demers is the rah-rah to Bouchard's technical analysis, they make a good team, the yin and the yang, the hot and the cold, the black and the white, the McPhee and the goat. Although I must admit I don't pay much attention to anouncers in general, and to between-period blah-blah.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Calling a coach who has won a couple of Stanley cups a fool would be pretty stupid. Demers is the rah-rah to Bouchard's technical analysis, they make a good team, the yin and the yang, the hot and the cold, the black and the white, the McPhee and the goat. Although I must admit I don't pay much attention to anouncers in general, and to between-period blah-blah.
Demers was sometime awkward with Brunet and it lead to Brunet laughing to his face a few times last season. Now it's been what three games Joel-Jacques together and there's already been a few strange moments. The problem is that they're both on different wave lengths completly. At least with Brunet he was an OLD player, he played under Jacques and Brunet is not the most cerebral guy. So they could mix it up. Even then they screwed up. With Bouchard, it's like he's trying to show us something interesting and instead of his team partner complimenting what he just said and enhancing it, Jacques stars to talk about something entirely or tries to add to what Joel has mentioned but it doesn't make any sens. After a few of these during the season JL will throw his hands in the air and yell "I give up!" sooner than we think.

Why can't RDS hire credible describers from top to bottom?

Old
10-15-2008, 11:05 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I always thought that intermissions were for those that never mastered the intricacies of the remote, like my Dad. I usually head downstiairs, throw a log on the fire, annoy my family so that they never comment when I disappear to watch the game.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Boulette Cannon

Rds has to make a pitch to get Dubé and McGuire.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 01:12 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGGINS! View Post
Rds has to make a pitch to get Dubé and McGuire.
dubé ... OMG ...

his analysis is good from time to time, but when he tries to make that second sentence, you see that he feels he needs to say something... but he just don't know what to say.... and says things like ; ''faudrait pas être surpris de voir s.kos s'améliorer cette année... '' ... he is a bit overated, its annoying me...lol.

McGuire is really the guy that makes it fun when you listen to CKAC ....

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Let Joel Bouchard get 1-2 years of experience doing between-the-periods commentaries like that, and he would be a great color commentator. I'm really impressed by him, he almost overshadows Demers. He's lively yet moderate, and he has a lot of style.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 09:26 AM
fatmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Let Joel Bouchard get 1-2 years of experience doing between-the-periods commentaries like that, and he would be a great color commentator. I'm really impressed by him, he almost overshadows Demers. He's lively yet moderate, and he has a lot of style.
I agree! Although, when I heard the news that Brunet would replace Pedneault, my first thought was " what a relief, no more Pedneault" but I had really big dopubt about Brunet, after a few games, at least he doesn't like to hear himself talk (unlike Pedneault) and his commentary are useful, although, his french could be way better, I think he will progress well during this season...

Joel Bouchard would be awesome though

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:24 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra View Post

Well I wish we had somebody to explain to the viewers what it means,the techical things, etc.. Dubé is always interesting that way. Yet for whatever reasons he's not as good doing the color on radio than he is in other media. Dubé would be great showing us plays between periods a la Kelly Hrudey.

Old
10-17-2008, 08:58 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
This thread makes me miss the days of

Ma Parole

RDS
Don't worry Ma Parole will be back, since Pierre is still there and speaks even more, he just didn't have the opportunity to use it.

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 10:00 AM
HabsUnited

I can't believe RDS couldn't find anybody better than Benoit Brunet for this job in the entire province. I dare say that half of the posters on this board could probably do his job better than him. Give him time, he'll grow into it, blah blah blah? I say that's crap, I didn't like him doing the Sens' broadcasts and I don't think he's gotten much better since. This is the Montreal Canadiens' 100th season and they deserve someone with experience who doesn't suck. I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Yvon. I guess I loved to hate him, he was fun to argue with (and I actually like him on the radio now). Brunet just puts me to sleep. I'd give anything for a good 'permutation des défenseurs' or a 'centre de gravité très bas' right now.

HabsUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsUnited View Post
I can't believe RDS couldn't find anybody better than Benoit Brunet for this job in the entire province. I dare say that half of the posters on this board could probably do his job better than him. Give him time, he'll grow into it, blah blah blah? I say that's crap, I didn't like him doing the Sens' broadcasts and I don't think he's gotten much better since. This is the Montreal Canadiens' 100th season and they deserve someone with experience who doesn't suck. I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Yvon. I guess I loved to hate him, he was fun to argue with (and I actually like him on the radio now). Brunet just puts me to sleep. I'd give anything for a good 'permutation des défenseurs' or a 'centre de gravité très bas' right now.
Most posters on this board couldn't find their way out of a paper bag, let alone doing Brunet's job better than him.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote