HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Can't wait for Laraque in the lineup thread...

Old
10-14-2008, 03:17 PM
bib
#believe

vCash: 500
Laraque on Philadelphia game:

"Obviously it's frustrating when you watch it, and there's nothing you can do when you're watching it on tv, and that's how Philly plays, but the good thing about it is the 3 other games that I will be there, so we'll see how those games are gonna be."

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 03:17 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
The part I bolded is the key for me because it's a very real possibility. The Kid should stick to his own weight class, most sensible Bruin fans don't want to see him mix it up with BGL, same as we would cringe if Komisarek got into a scrap with Colton Orr or Eric Godard etc...
It's not the same scenario, but do you remeber Dryden talking about Robinson in The Game ? He was afraid that if Robinson lost a fight, esp. if he lost one badlty, the aura would be gone, he wouldn't be looked at in the same way. One night a smallish Ranger forward fought Larry, won the fight, cut him up a bit and Dryden was distraught, he figured it was all over . Nothing changed though, jus lost a fight.

I hate seeing Komi fight, I remember cringing when he dropped them with Brashear, he just isn't good at it. He has nothing to prove in terms of courage, not with his blocked shots and overall game, he just isn't good at fighting, whether it's technique,slow hands, he isn't good at it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
It's not the same scenario, but do you remeber Dryden talking about Robinson in The Game ? He was afraid that if Robinson lost a fight, esp. if he lost one badlty, the aura would be gone, he wouldn't be looked at in the same way. One night a smallish Ranger forward fought Larry, won the fight, cut him up a bit and Dryden was distraught, he figured it was all over . Nothing changed though, jus lost a fight.

I hate seeing Komi fight, I remember cringing when he dropped them with Brashear, he just isn't good at it. He has nothing to prove in terms of courage, not with his blocked shots and overall game, he just isn't good at fighting, whether it's technique,slow hands, he isn't good at it.
That's probably because he's a hockey player.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 03:21 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Where have you been?

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 03:37 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post

I don't recall that part of the book, which is an excellent indication that it's time to reread it.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 03:43 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corban View Post
Well you are just flat out wrong. In the "Laraque traded to MTL" thread in the Trade Forum just in the 1st page alone there are 5 posts out of 25 that pertain to EXACTLY what I was just saying.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...hlight=Laraque
So why the .... do you feel the need to do it all over again.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 03:57 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Apparently Sugar Ray Robinson was a master of the hip check.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Where have you been?
Leave of absence. But I swear I didn't do it.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 05:51 PM
yohan1212

there is really only so much big george can do. granted he is a top notch fighter but he cant go around challenging everyone for every hit laid on a hab. really what you think will happen if Lucic throws a good hit on komiserik and laraque forces lucic to fight him?? you dont think thornton or chara will then return the favor and go after a hab (and it probably wont be begin is my guess). that is the way Laraque can be deterred IMO. If he wants to fight someone on boston it prob should be thornton since they have the same roles. i found a good example a few years back. brash destroys ray for pretty much nothing which ottowa doesnt like so we all know what happens off the next faceoff..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIJ87lwki5I

Last edited by yohan1212: 10-14-2008 at 05:57 PM.
yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
there is really only so much big george can do. granted he is a top notch fighter but he cant go around challenging everyone for every hit laid on a hab. really what you think will happen if Lucic throws a good hit on komiserik and laraque forces lucic to fight him?? you dont think thornton or chara will then return the favor and go after a hab (and it probably wont be begin is my guess). that is the way Laraque can be deterred IMO. If he wants to fight someone on boston it prob should be thornton since they have the same roles. i found a good example a few years back. brash destroys ray for pretty much nothing which ottowa doesnt like so we all know what happens off the next faceoff..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIJ87lwki5I
Poor, defenseless Rob Ray?

That's a horrible example.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 07:17 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Any new infos ? McGuire said Saturday might be the day for Laraque.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 07:31 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Poor, defenseless Rob Ray?

That's a horrible example.
well ray was like 40 yrs old here. Just saying that one guy cant make a team scary. He cant run around making people fight whenever he wants, avenging every hit. If he does other teams will not like it and take their frustration out on othe players.

Old
10-14-2008, 07:34 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
well ray was like 40 yrs old here. Just saying that one guy cant make a team scary. He cant run around making people fight whenever he wants, avenging every hit. If he does other teams will not like it and take their frustration out on othe players.
Ok you mean like the Habs last year, where Price was getting run through the playoffs. I just loved the way our players took it out on the Flyers players.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 07:39 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
Ok you mean like the Habs last year, where Price was getting run through the playoffs. I just loved the way our players took it out on the Flyers players.
i didnt really watch much of 2nd round. anyways any info on whether laraque will be suiting up tommorrow night? Sure hope so!! You know his first game in the uniform he will want to fight somebody.

Old
10-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Carbo N8

Quote:
I don't think he has to and I don't think he thinks he has to.
I do think, however, that when we play the Caps, Brashear won't be running around taking liberties like he did last year. He hasn't fared well in some of his encounters with Georges, so, I expect he will be a little quieter this year.

Georges doesn't have to fight everybody that steps out of line. His presence means more often than not that others (Komi, Bouillon,etc.) won't be required to make that decision quite as often, mostly because when he skates into a scrum, the likelihood of a fight breaking out is greatly reduced, imo.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 07:46 PM
snakeye

I don't think I ever saw this kind of hype surrounding a 4th liner in my entire life.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Pax Macioretty

I still have hopes for tomorrow, Laraque had to see the doctors in the end of the afternoon after the reporters were done, the main reason why we got Laraque was for ateams just like Boston who like to get dirty when they are losing. He said he felt ready and wants to play in the home opener

Pax Macioretty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
I don't think I ever saw this kind of hype surrounding a 4th liner in my entire life.
Only in Montreal brah

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:14 PM
frederixx

Don't know if it was posted before, but look at Laraque's first fight with Granby and how Bouillon (at 0:38, who was the captain back then) is cheering like he's Laraques biggest fan ever.

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
Yeah but he's not just an average 4th liner. We're talking about one of the best, if not the best fighters in the league. Something we haven't had in Montreal for a long time.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:55 PM
Habsfan18

watching some BGL fights on youtube..man i'm ****ing pumped.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 12:34 AM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Yeah but he's not just an average 4th liner. We're talking about one of the best, if not the best fighters in the league. Something we haven't had in Montreal for a long time.
lol by reading the comments here it would seem like everyone's expecting Laraque to eat half the opposing team's roster by the end of the first period. He probably won't fight for a while; really we're just going to see him play some hockey. Hopefully some good hockey.

Old
10-15-2008, 01:02 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederixx View Post
Don't know if it was posted before, but look at Laraque's first fight with Granby and how Bouillon (at 0:38, who was the captain back then) is cheering like he's Laraques biggest fan ever.
Hey keep that Bouillion was captain in Granby thing quiet okay.... we don't need another one

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 02:58 AM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Hey keep that Bouillion was captain in Granby thing quiet okay.... we don't need another one
lol was he really captain? Man I think half our team used to be captain at one point. Kovalev, Koivu, Begin, Chipchura, Higgins... Hell, I think even Gorges used to be a captain of some junior team at one point...

Old
10-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Hmm, captain of his junior team, you say?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote