HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ryder Returns - Don't Boo

Old
10-15-2008, 03:48 AM
peperebougon*

vCash: 500
Anything to win!!!!! Booing and chanting has an impact on the game. Let's use this weapon!!!!! If booing player X or Y helps the team...

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 05:04 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

I dunno but, if I was to pay 100$ + for a game at the Bell Centre, I'd boo whoever the **** I want.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 05:15 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
He chose to sign with boston, our biggest rivals... he could've gone anywhere but he chose to go to our biggest rival. He gets booed.
Doesn't really seem like a rivalry when we got 12-3 against them.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 05:39 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Doesn't really seem like a rivalry when we got 12-3 against them.
They're still our biggest rival...

They whooped us handily in the 90's. We're returning the favour.

Old
10-15-2008, 06:44 AM
onice

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Are you emo?

MY boos are not going to get him out of his game... but MY boos along with about 200 fans boos are going to.
Read your previous post.

Look, it's become acceptable for sport fans to behave like lobotomized idiots at a nazis or KKK rally. It's not just Habs' fans or hockey fans. Alright, I simply ignore it. But don't come on this board and tell me that you think you're contributing to the team. Or that you paid your ticket and you have a right to do what you want.

Because with that logic, I pay my taxes: federal, provincial and municipal so I have a right to go to the local government office and boo and insult the works there. Or I can throw insults at the garbage pickers when they pass by my house. I pay my taxes, I have a right to take a crap on the corner. Somehow the logic used by sports fans to act like a swarm of baboons in heat doesn't seem to work in the rest of society.

Do you work? Would you like it if I came to your job and threw insults in your face because i didn't like the way you did your work? And don't give me the B.S. that they're paid millions of dollars.

It all comes down to why do we watch hockey? I watch it because I wanna see the sport played at its best by the best athletes. I would prefer that the Habs win but I won't begrudge the opposing team their moments of glory. you watch it for some other reason. To each their own I guess.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 06:44 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
Micheal Ryder was booed whenever he touched the puck and had his name chanted "in derision."* Are we really so quick to forget our three time goal scoring leader? While he might not have been our best player he was often there for us when times were not so bright. I knew he would probably not expect a great time when he returned to Montreal, but did we really need to boo him in an exhibition game?

I was hoping for more out of our fans.

oh well.

*http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=251387&l...=secStory_main
The 21,000 people heading to the Bell Center will have read this by tonight, hopefully.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post

Because with that logic, I pay my taxes: federal, provincial and municipal so I have a right to go to the local government office and boo and insult the works there. Or I can throw insults at the garbage pickers when they pass by my house. I pay my taxes, I have a right to take a crap on the corner.

I guess you can insult your garbage men(although I assume calling them 'garbage pickers' is insulting in it's own right) but booing people at work is usually defined as 'disturbing the peace' when they take me downtown to get my finger prints.

Crapping on the corner is indecent exposure & is definitely another law, but I can't quite put my finger on. Not that I'd want to put my finger on it.

Somehow the logic used by sports fans to act like a swarm of baboons in heat doesn't seem to work in the rest of society.

Males don't go into heat.
Why so serious?

The best argument you could have brought up would be relating a hockey game to another sporting event, like tennis or golf. But really...why get so worked up over how people behave at a game synonymous with missing teeth?

I think you should take this one step further. If people are allowed to smoke the dope and flick lighters at concerts, I think they should head down to their local government office & smoke a joint while swaying to the sounds of their typing. I play a mean air-keyboard.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 10-15-2008 at 07:01 AM.
Old
10-15-2008, 06:56 AM
marchabsfan

he WILL get booed. sorry.

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 06:58 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Read your previous post.

Look, it's become acceptable for sport fans to behave like lobotomized idiots at a nazis or KKK rally. It's not just Habs' fans or hockey fans. Alright, I simply ignore it. But don't come on this board and tell me that you think you're contributing to the team. Or that you paid your ticket and you have a right to do what you want.

Because with that logic, I pay my taxes: federal, provincial and municipal so I have a right to go to the local government office and boo and insult the works there. Or I can throw insults at the garbage pickers when they pass by my house. I pay my taxes, I have a right to take a crap on the corner. Somehow the logic used by sports fans to act like a swarm of baboons in heat doesn't seem to work in the rest of society.

Do you work? Would you like it if I came to your job and threw insults in your face because i didn't like the way you did your work? And don't give me the B.S. that they're paid millions of dollars.

It all comes down to why do we watch hockey? I watch it because I wanna see the sport played at its best by the best athletes. I would prefer that the Habs win but I won't begrudge the opposing team their moments of glory. you watch it for some other reason. To each their own I guess.
I think you're being pretty rough on baboons.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 07:02 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Why so serious?

The best argument you could have brought up would be relating a hockey game to another sporting event, like tennis or golf. But really...why get so worked up over how people behave at a game synonymous with missing teeth?
I'm not serious and I don't care if fans boo. I thought I said that. I never said in any of my posts fans shouldn't boo or shouldn't be allowed to boo. What gets me is when they try to explain or justify their motives. Please, their motives are basic and primitive. Don't glorify or justify them by trying to explain them. They enjoy it. Fine. Leave it at that.

Old
10-15-2008, 07:05 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
I'm not serious and I don't care if fans boo. I thought I said that. I never said in any of my posts fans shouldn't boo or shouldn't be allowed to boo. What gets me is when they try to explain or justify their motives. Please, their motives are basic and primitive. Don't glorify or justify them by trying to explain them. They enjoy it. Fine. Leave it at that.
Well alright.

But I'll be headbanging at the DMV today if you wanna come join.

Old
10-15-2008, 07:08 AM
AD

Quote:
Are you saying that booing at games can not be justified..

What?!

If you're one person, one individual in any life situation, you can usually be heard and thus convey your emotion or feeling through words, language, etc. So if you're dipleased at what a police man or a garbage man has just done, you can tell them and explain the situation and come to an understanfing.

When in a crowd, you can't have 20,000 people all calmly explain to the refs why they missed a call or tell a certain player why they feel jibbed by him going to another team. Because 20,000 people doing that will sound like a loud buzzing murmur. So to convey a message or explain your state of mind when you're in a crowd, then your options are chanting, singing, cheering or booing.

But I guess we're primitive for trying to engage in communication..

Last edited by AD: 10-15-2008 at 07:13 AM.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 07:09 AM
Russeltown

Who cares about Ryder, Sergei Kostitsyn is better!

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 07:11 AM
mcphee

Quote:
If by any way, I can get one of these player out of his game for what could be only 1 second, I'll be happy. Because I'll have contributed to help the team I cheer.

Every Habs fan going to the game : Don't be shy and boo him. He was a crap in the playoffs, throwing paper planes instead of actually caring for his teamates. He always thought himself first, was not a great team player, and was just a puck hog.

He does not deserve any GREAT special treatment... That being said, if I was attending a game versus the Islanders, I would actually applaude Mark Streit in the beginning of the game, because HE, in my opinion, is what I call a great team player.
It seems that you have a way of knowing who the good guys are and aren't, that may not be available to the rest of us. As for what a guy did or didn't do during games in which he didn't play, huh ? How do you support the team from the press box. When Price juggled pucks into his net against Philly, did players on the bench look downcast because they were let down by the attitude of guys in the pressbox ?

As to booing, arena behaviour etc., booing is fine, all's fair to the point of making it personal. Then it becomes a problem. The other issue is public behaviour. I bring my kid to the game, I pay the same ammount as you, I don't need a jackass screaming about Lucic's sexual realtionships with farm animals, or Ryder's with his coach. If that stuff goes too far, I'd do something about it.

I remember in the mid 90's, we had a connection to the Cornwall jr. team as they made a playoff run. We went to a semifinal game, got hooked and followed them thru the finals against an Ottawa team. I remember one Cornwall fan who spent the entire game behind the Ottawa bench, screaming at the Ottawa players. They seemed to be laughing at him mostly. I thought he was funny for a bit, then after a game or 2, I figured, what an idiot, imagine actually knowing this guy ? You find them in any arena in the country though, and sure , within whatever individual arenas deem acceptable, have fun, It doesn't make him less of an a hole though.

I think that we should boo Mark Streit. Viciously in fact. I point to Scott Thompson [ right name ?] from Kids In The Hall who once said, I'm sick of the Swiss.

I'm sick of their chocolate, their watches, neutrality, the whole 9 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I think you're being pretty rough on baboons.
baboons like it rough. Wrong thread ?

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-15-2008 at 07:30 AM.
mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 07:14 AM
onice

Quote:
Well alright.

But I'll be headbanging at the DMV today if you wanna come join.
I prefer the banging or the head separately but together,naw, it's not my bag, man.

Old
10-15-2008, 07:25 AM
mcphee

Quote:
I've gone to wrestling shows in my life, not in a long time, but I've gone and screamed my fool head off while ketchup streamed down Dino Bravo's face. You feel good going home. I still like going to concerts when I can, getting lost in it for a few hours tends to relax me. I don't think that crowd frenzy is necessarily a bad thing .

The last Grey Cup game in Mtl, I went with an old friend, guy I went to Monday's game with. We go for different reasons. I love the sport itself, like watching, figuring out what's coming, why it worked etc. I like the rabid crowd atmosphere as well. My buddy likes the game, but doesn't know how many palyers are on the field or import ratios or anything about football, he likes being in a frenzied crowd and screaming his fool head off. Football's different as the boundary is lower, but you know that showing up at the park. I don't think there's a right or wrong really.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 07:38 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I've gone to wrestling shows in my life, not in a long time, but I've gone and screamed my fool head off while ketchup streamed down Dino Bravo's face. You feel good going home. I still like going to concerts when I can, getting lost in it for a few hours tends to relax me. I don't think that crowd frenzy is necessarily a bad thing .

The last Grey Cup game in Mtl, I went with an old friend, guy I went to Monday's game with. We go for different reasons. I love the sport itself, like watching, figuring out what's coming, why it worked etc. I like the rabid crowd atmosphere as well. My buddy likes the game, but doesn't know how many palyers are on the field or import ratios or anything about football, he likes being in a frenzied crowd and screaming his fool head off. Football's different as the boundary is lower, but you know that showing up at the park. I don't think there's a right or wrong really.
Mcphee, like I said i don't care about the booing. It's when it gets to the insults. What's the dif between throwing a banana peel at Weekes and throwing verbal insults at Ryder. Ad mentioned it's communication. what are we communicating to Ryder? Thanks for being our top scorer for those three years but you're a dirt bag for going to a team that gave you top dollar.

Look I don't like Brisebois as a hockey player never did, never will but I agreed with Gainey when he called those fans gutless ********.

Old
10-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Lone Rogue

Patrice Brisebois.

People spend more time on this website cursing about him than anyone will ever spend booing Michael Ryder.

It's become 100% acceptable to hate Brisebois and put him down on this team because hes a veteran who often makes mistakes, but its wrong to boo Ryder, a Boston Bruin?

I think we should be a little more loyal to OUR players before we talk about respecting OTHER players.

Either way, the fans could boo Maurice Richard for all I care. Doesn't change who I am going to cheer or boo.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 07:43 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Mcphee, like I said i don't care about the booing. It's when it gets to the insults. What's the dif between throwing a banana peel at Weekes and throwing verbal insults at Ryder.
Oh baby Jesus.

Old
10-15-2008, 07:50 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Ad mentioned it's communication. what are we communicating to Ryder? Thanks for being our top scorer for those three years but you're a dirt bag for going to a team that gave you top dollar.

Look I don't like Brisebois as a hockey player never did, never will but I agreed with Gainey when he called those fans gutless ********.
Stop searching for logical reasons. It's a crowd, pretty obvious that the more there's people in a crowd, less the intelligence level is there 'cause your act is less accountable since you're part of a crowd.

It's not about throwing somebody of his game, it's not about not caring about the good seasons he gave us, it's a question of an ex-player and the way he ended his career with us. We needed him to go further and he wasn't exactly stellar and that story true or false about his behavior in the stands. It's not reality, it's perception and the perception of his play during his last year was that he didn't care, and waited to leave. It doesn't take that much. He didn't have a good season and people didn't like him for that. We are freakin booing Daniel Brière for almost wanted to sign here but then we can't see why we're booing Ryder?

As far as cheering him 'cause he gaves some good seasons, he was cheered when he was playing here. Cheering for him when everything was good was a sign that we appreciated his play during his time here. But now some even suggested that we should even applaud him 'cause he gave us 3 seasons of more than 25 goals? I'm sorry but the difference for me is way too big between a guy like Chris Chelios who gave it all, who won a cup with us and ended up playing at the age he is and be ovationed by the crowd last year, a Guy Lafleur who came back in a Rangers uniform and was applauded more when he was scoring against us than the goals we scored and Michael Ryder......I would personnally ignore him 'cause I don't believe in booing and I really really don't care Ryder even if he succeeds with Boston. He had to go. Time to move on.

What I'm wondering though is that are the same people hating to see Ryder being booed 'cause he gave us so much, did also blamed the crowd for booing Theodore and taunting him even with the seasons and the trophies he gave us? Or is the booing acceptable only if you hate the player?

As far as Brisebois is concerned, well Gainey was indeed right for a couple of reasons but mostly for one big one.......while the same people were suppose the cheer for their Habs, they were booing him making him CLEARLY hesitant in his play and rush his passes and shots because of it. Those people were actively participating in making our team worst by rushing a guy who doesn't need to be rushed to make mistakes. It was clear stupidity and that had to stop.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 07:51 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Wow... it gets pretty EMO around here...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 07:52 AM
Pascal

Quote:
To each their own I guess.
/end thread?

some people are against it, some aren't.. nothing much to debate.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 07:54 AM
AD

Quote:
Oh baby Jesus.
Don't get Jesus in to this..

Hasn't he been through ENOUGH!...

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 07:54 AM
znk

Quote:
Wow... it gets pretty EMO around here...
You're confusing emo with respect.

znk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Don't get Jesus in to this..

Hasn't he been through ENOUGH!...
I think you're confusing Jesus with J-Lo.