HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ryder Returns - Don't Boo

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-15-2008, 07:59 AM
  #276
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
You're confusing emo with respect.
Hell... if Boston fans were in our seats, they would be even worst than us. We would look stupid if we actually cheered for an opponent player.

Especially when this player didn't give a crap about his team.

Huet? Streit? I wouldn't boo them. They were great for us.

But Paperplane Ryder? The puckhog? The one who laughed when he was getting interviewed about being benched? Please..... Cry me a river...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:02 AM
  #277
GoHabs20
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,753
vCash: 500
sorry to the fans that still like ryder, but you will hear booing. I don't understand it, but there are stupid fans in this city.

boo chara
boo ex hab

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:02 AM
  #278
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Patrice Brisebois.

People spend more time on this website cursing about him than anyone will ever spend booing Michael Ryder.

It's become 100% acceptable to hate Brisebois and put him down on this team because hes a veteran who often makes mistakes, but its wrong to boo Ryder, a Boston Bruin?

I think we should be a little more loyal to OUR players before we talk about respecting OTHER players.

Either way, the fans could boo Maurice Richard for all I care. Doesn't change who I am going to cheer or boo.
Watch your step, mister. You are perilously close to blasphemy and eventual excommunication.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:09 AM
  #279
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Hell... if Boston fans were in our seats, they would be even worst than us. We would look stupid if we actually cheered for an opponent player.

Especially when this player didn't give a crap about his team.

Huet? Streit? I wouldn't boo them. They were great for us.

But Paperplane Ryder? The puckhog? The one who laughed when he was getting interviewed about being benched? Please..... Cry me a river...
That's just a load of BS. The guy never made a scene even if he was benched. He kept high moral and made sure he didnt disrupt the team. I dont think anything is wrong with applauding him at the presentations. Then boo him if it makes you feel like a man. I dont care at that point.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:17 AM
  #280
danboulie
Registered User
 
danboulie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Read your previous post.

Look, it's become acceptable for sport fans to behave like lobotomized idiots at a nazis or KKK rally. It's not just Habs' fans or hockey fans. Alright, I simply ignore it. But don't come on this board and tell me that you think you're contributing to the team. Or that you paid your ticket and you have a right to do what you want.

Because with that logic, I pay my taxes: federal, provincial and municipal so I have a right to go to the local government office and boo and insult the works there. Or I can throw insults at the garbage pickers when they pass by my house. I pay my taxes, I have a right to take a crap on the corner. Somehow the logic used by sports fans to act like a swarm of baboons in heat doesn't seem to work in the rest of society.

Do you work? Would you like it if I came to your job and threw insults in your face because i didn't like the way you did your work? And don't give me the B.S. that they're paid millions of dollars.

It all comes down to why do we watch hockey? I watch it because I wanna see the sport played at its best by the best athletes. I would prefer that the Habs win but I won't begrudge the opposing team their moments of glory. you watch it for some other reason. To each their own I guess.
Just to play Devil's advocate here, your argument is kind of flawed. You can't compare paying for a ticket to see a hockey game with paying taxes because taxes are madatory. You don't pay them, you go to jail. And Like Chris Rock once said: "you don't pay tax. They take tax. You get your cheque. Money gone."

If people are willing to pay, out of their own pocket, extra cash to go see a sports team play live, then why shouldn't they be allowed to boo? If you want to get rid of booing, why not abolish cheering as well? Or you could just always watch the Sens, same difference.

At any rate, it's kind of a reach to compare a public servant with a professional athlete. But I bet you that if a garbage man was getting payed $4,000,000 to pick up your trash, and you were paying hundreds of dollars a day to watch him do it, he'd let you stand by the curb and holler anything at him that you want.

danboulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:18 AM
  #281
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 20,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Can everyone yell a three letter word that rhymes with rap when Lucic is on the ice?
I still find it outstanding that a hockey message board is going through lengths to ban Japanese onomatepia. Or perhaps more entertaining that people who don't even understand Japanese are taking offense to it.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:21 AM
  #282
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Patrice Brisebois.

People spend more time on this website cursing about him than anyone will ever spend booing Michael Ryder.

It's become 100% acceptable to hate Brisebois and put him down on this team because hes a veteran who often makes mistakes, but its wrong to boo Ryder, a Boston Bruin?

I think we should be a little more loyal to OUR players before we talk about respecting OTHER players.

Either way, the fans could boo Maurice Richard for all I care. Doesn't change who I am going to cheer or boo.
Bless him Maurice, for LR did not mean to say your name in vain.

__________________
To me, Desharnais is like pop/radio music. No matter how hard I try, I just can't like him. - PyrettaBlaze
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:26 AM
  #283
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
I think if someone booed Richard he'd get beaten up on the spot.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:30 AM
  #284
ranold26
Get off my rink!
 
ranold26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,144
vCash: 500
I don't understand why someone here would hope/expect Ryder NOT to be booed. This is MTL-BOS folks and if we had a player sign with you guys, we'd be booing too. Boo Ryder, its expected!
Round one begins tonight.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:31 AM
  #285
Haddock
Registered User
 
Haddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moulinsart
Posts: 2,132
vCash: 500
Why care for the actions of a bunch of strangers at the game having fun?
No, their actions don't have any reflection on you and the fanbase as a whole.
Get over yourself, it's just for fun.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:34 AM
  #286
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
I don't understand why someone here would hope/expect Ryder NOT to be booed. This is MTL-BOS folks and if we had a player sign with you guys, we'd be booing too. Boo Ryder, its expected!
Round one begins tonight.
Very well said.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:40 AM
  #287
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,546
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by danboulie View Post

At any rate, it's kind of a reach to compare a public servant with a professional athlete. But I bet you that if a garbage man was getting payed $4,000,000 to pick up your trash, and you were paying hundreds of dollars a day to watch him do it, he'd let you stand by the curb and holler anything at him that you want.
Haha, best analogy in the thread and 100% percent true. Booing the opposing team at a sporting event is going to happen and it happens in almost every team sport. Every arena in the NHL does it. Either you deal with it or stop watching hockey because it's not going to stop anytime soon.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:48 AM
  #288
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
I don't understand the idea of booing a guy because he was one of our players? What's the point? Shouldn't we cheer them when they come in a "welcome back" gesture? And if we boo Ryder because he sucked with us, well it's not like he sucked on purpose. Ryder is a sad figure more than a hateful figure as far as i'm concerned.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:48 AM
  #289
1UP
Registered User
 
1UP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,822
vCash: 500
Am I the only one who thinks booing Ryder is a mark of respect? That we remember him well?

Indifference would be loads more disrespectful IMO.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:57 AM
  #290
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I don't understand the idea of booing a guy because he was one of our players? What's the point? Shouldn't we cheer them when they come in a "welcome back" gesture? And if we boo Ryder because he sucked with us, well it's not like he sucked on purpose. Ryder is a sad figure more than a hateful figure as far as i'm concerned.
cuz it's funny. try it, you'll see.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:03 AM
  #291
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 20,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I don't understand the idea of booing a guy because he was one of our players? What's the point? Shouldn't we cheer them when they come in a "welcome back" gesture? And if we boo Ryder because he sucked with us, well it's not like he sucked on purpose. Ryder is a sad figure more than a hateful figure as far as i'm concerned.
It's just something that hockey fans use to try to throw opponents off their game. I consider it akin to fans behind the baseline at a basketball waving crap to distract a free-throw shooter. Perhaps some people's booing is more malicious in intent, but what's the use in discussing people's motives anyway? And furthermore, I am surprised that so many people here are presumptuous enough to assume upon hearing the boos, that the intent is necessarily malicious. Booing happens in sports. Who cares why person A does it as opposed to person B?

I know, if I don't like the topic, I shouldn't have clicked and responded...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:06 AM
  #292
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Am I the only one who thinks booing Ryder is a mark of respect? That we remember him well?

Indifference would be loads more disrespectful IMO.
In all honesty, absolutely not. In my opinion, I believe that people who want to think that way, just want to pretend that we might be a "cleaner" crowd that we actually are. We're not. We're loud and it comes with great moments and maybe some not-so-great even if again booing Ryder shouldn't be taken as serious as some would like us to take it.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:06 AM
  #293
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
cuz it's funny. try it, you'll see.
I know!


I have to admit booing and chanting names is fun. Especialy when drunk.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:07 AM
  #294
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I think if someone booed Richard he'd get beaten up on the spot.

On this note - heard and saw it recently on TV - Guy Lafleur's comeback with the Rangers - the whole Forum was cheering when he scored against the Habs ! They were all chanting "Guy, Guy, Guy". Pat Bruns (Habs coach at that time) said he had a fit in the locker room. As for the "Guy, Guy, Guy" chanting - he did the only thing he could - play Carbonneau more often

So it's not about any ex Hab. Ryder was really disliked by fans not only for his frustrating style but also for his carelessness and (apparent) lack of considerations towards the team.

I would be really, really surprised if Huet gets booed - he was always a fan favourite and noone can ever blame him for not being here or not doing his max. And he's not with the Bruins either

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:10 AM
  #295
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I don't understand the idea of booing a guy because he was one of our players? What's the point? Shouldn't we cheer them when they come in a "welcome back" gesture? And if we boo Ryder because he sucked with us, well it's not like he sucked on purpose. Ryder is a sad figure more than a hateful figure as far as i'm concerned.
We did it for Chelios, we did it for Lafleur, I believe that the Habs crowd really need to feel that their ex-players REALLY did something for them and as an appreciation then they'll cheer. Being indifferent is not something we are. Still, I don't get why people are that surprised? Isn't it like HfBoards a little? Are there any grey zones in here, are there so many indifferent people? If it's always black and white in here, why wouldn't a crowd be so different?

Some people (I'm not talking about you) should just take their time and read carefully the game threads 'cause what you're expressing as an opinion, the crowd expresses it vocally during the game. You know all those threads and posts about how Theo sucks, how Huet sucks and how every ex-habs are sucking......well we like writing about it....the crowd prefers booing about it.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:11 AM
  #296
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
If Huet gets booed "I" will Riot.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:12 AM
  #297
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
If Huet gets booed "I" will Riot.
He's probably not going to be booed but expect some Huuuuuuuet taunting if things don't go his way.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:18 AM
  #298
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
We did it for Chelios, we did it for Lafleur, I believe that the Habs crowd really need to feel that their ex-players REALLY did something for them and as an appreciation then they'll cheer. Being indifferent is not something we are. Still, I don't get why people are that surprised? Isn't it like HfBoards a little? Are there any grey zones in here, are there so many indifferent people? If it's always black and white in here, why wouldn't a crowd be so different?

Some people (I'm not talking about you) should just take their time and read carefully the game threads 'cause what you're expressing as an opinion, the crowd expresses it vocally during the game. You know all those threads and posts about how Theo sucks, how Huet sucks and how every ex-habs are sucking......well we like writing about it....the crowd prefers booing about it.....
Habs crowd should be more classy. BECAUSE we are the Montreal Canadiens also. Wouldn't it be cool for instance if when they name the 3 stars of the game and an opponant gets chosen amongst the three stars, the crowd would cheer him as a mark of respect? Let's face it, when an opponant gets named amongst the stars, he's proud. Because it's the Habs, it's a special moment for him. He feels honored. How about the crowd play along and clap for him BECAUSE he was able to play well on holly ground.

Just a thought.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:19 AM
  #299
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He's probably not going to be booed but expect some Huuuuuuuet taunting if things don't go his way.
I can see this happen. Given it's the Hawks and we will likely demolish them.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:19 AM
  #300
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Habs crowd should be more classy. BECAUSE we are the Montreal Canadiens also. Wouldn't it be cool for instance if when they name the 3 stars of the game and an opponant gets chosen amongst the three stars, the crowd would cheer him as a mark of respect? Let's face it, when an opponant gets named amongst the stars, he's proud. Because it's the Habs, it's a special moment for him. He feels honored. How about the crowd play along and clap for him BECAUSE he was able to play well on holly ground.

Just a thought.
Actually we do....sometimes. Especially when it's a frenchie who has to be more than honored to be chosen a star in Montreal, more people applaud him even in a loss than in a win.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.