HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryder Returns - Don't Boo

Old
10-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Habs crowd should be more classy. BECAUSE we are the Montreal Canadiens also. Wouldn't it be cool for instance if when they name the 3 stars of the game and an opponant gets chosen amongst the three stars, the crowd would cheer him as a mark of respect? Let's face it, when an opponant gets named amongst the stars, he's proud. Because it's the Habs, it's a special moment for him. He feels honored. How about the crowd play along and clap for him BECAUSE he was able to play well on holly ground.

Just a thought.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

10-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Turbo

I liked Ryder when he was a Hab. He gave us good years.

But he's a Bruin now. A BRUIN!!! Seriously, all bets are off.

Boooooooooooo!

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Actually we do....sometimes. Especially when it's a frenchie who has to be more than honored to be chosen a star in Montreal, more people applaud him even in a loss than in a win.
But the boos are far most loud. Even when it's somebody that truly deserve the cheers. It always pisses me off to tell you the truth and often you will find me yelling at my tv "why can't you be more classy! we're the Montreal Canadiens and we just won, you idiots!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
G A Y

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-15-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Actually we do....sometimes. Especially when it's a frenchie who has to be more than honored to be chosen a star in Montreal, more people applaud him even in a loss than in a win.
Yeah, you show 'em how to be classy. "Frenchie"

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

He meant "French Fries"

Old
10-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
G A Y
lol..are you having fantasies about me again Kimota?

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Turbo

Ok, kids, get a room.

(not that there's anything wrong with that)

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:35 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
If Huet gets booed "I" will Riot.
I doubt Huet would get booed by the crowd. Although a few meatballs might taunt him. I think the biggest factor in fans booing Ryder is that he signed with our biggest rival. The Blackhawks don't get the same reaction from us Habs fans.

My personal stance in things is I don't care if he gets booed, but if I were in the building I wouldn't partake. That said, I wouldn't cheer Ryder either. I liked Ryder, but I don't think I could applaud someone in a B's jersey. Besides, he was a at best a 2nd tier player on our team. Sure, he put up numbers, but I don't really feel any huge affinity to him. That being said, if you want to cheer his name when it's announced, go ahead, it doesn't bother me.

People that are insisting that fans should cheer him to welcome him back are a little overzealous. I think the welcome back cheer is something that's done for truly special players. If Koivu got traded, I'd cheer him when he returns (maybe even if he was a Bruin). But for a guy like Ryder... meh. Might as well cheer Bonk and Garon too when they come here too.

It's a sport, it's entertainment. The players know this. If fans want to be vocal (in whatever way), it's fine, as long as it's not hurting anybody, it's all in good fun.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:36 AM
GoHabs20

I can't wait for saku to come back and play against the Habs. I will boo and boo and I don't want to hear any of you homers complaining.

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Ok, kids, get a room.

(not that there's anything wrong with that)
Actually I'm getting ready to leave before Kimota gives me a net ass kicking.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
lol..are you having fantasies about me again Kimota?
Just overally fantasiesing

Old
10-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabs20 View Post
I can't wait for saku to come back and play against the Habs. I will boo and boo and I don't want to hear any of you homers complaining.

I want to see someone boo Koivu tonight and see what happens. I'm sure said "fan" would get a few evil eye looks.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
I doubt Huet would get booed by the crowd. Although a few meatballs might taunt him. I think the biggest factor in fans booing Ryder is that he signed with our biggest rival. The Blackhawks don't get the same reaction from us Habs fans.
Was the Avs that big of a rival? There's surely no sign of ex-nords in there so why were people booing Theo? 'Cause he lost his confidence with us? Did he say anything wrong before being traded? Still, people booed his ass out of the arena even with the trophies and the games he won by himself. Sure it doesn't help to play for the Bruins, for sure. Everytime I eat some peanut butter, I can't help but to boo that fricking Kraft jar......still, Brisebois after he was traded would have played for Columbus that he would have been booed as well....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

i hope nobody boos tonight...not what the Canadiens organization is about...

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Newhabfan

There are (at least) three sorts of fans:

a) Habs Fans - those will boo any opponent star player, hoping this will affect that player's concentration and make him play bad. They will also cheer someone like Guy Lafleur who they still feel like belonging to the Habs. They will never boo a current Hab Player - it would be like booing your own son or nephew when he plays a bad game in his league.

b) The Hockey/Sports fans - those will not boo anyone, because it is not "fair" and "sportsmanlike" and "classy". The players are athletes, doing their best, and you do not boo a swimmmer or a skater when he has a bad performance - why would you boo a hockey player?

c) The Show fans - They will boo anyone, opponent and hab player alike, provided "it is fun" and makes for good entertainment. They assume they have the right to be entertained since they paid 2-300 dollars a ticket, a lot more then many good rock concerts. If Laraque won't be there to perform, they are entitled, at least, to boo Ryder, or Chara or even Brisebois to make for the wasted cash. A poll showed that the american hockey audience is very similar to the american wrestling audience. Go figure.

So while the action is similar, the motivation behind it is different.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
i hope nobody boos tonight...not what the Canadiens organization is about...
How can you say that when the crowd keeps booing for every single event even in preseasons? Ryder was booed in preseason but them you expect that he won't in regular season? We booed our own players, same crowd that laughed at Patrick Roy, at tons of habs players, doesn't people remember that we did boo our hero Kovalev when things weren't doing so well, we almost got rid of the guy who's responsible for this franchise turnaround. We keep booing at ex-hab players, all the riots that happened over time, and it goes as far as the Geoffrion booing for having beaten Richard for the scoring title......Seems to me that Larry Smith thinks that the organization is classless and lack respect since they're doing the Roy even the same weekend then the Grey Cup. Seems to me that the crowd was bashed on tons of occasions for booing anthem and booing ex-players. Also seems to me that our own reputation in this board is not that great 'cause other fanbases keep saying how as a group we're arrogant and classless....

Seems to me that we're becoming the same kind of fans than the Yankees fans.....we should probably start to deal with that as unpleasant it could be for the majority of us....

Last edited by Whitesnake: 10-15-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
How can you say that when the crowd keeps booing for every single event even in preseasons? Ryder was booed in preseason but them you expect that he won't in regular season? We booed our own players, same crowd that laughed at Patrick Roy, at tons of habs players, doesn't people remember that we did boo our hero Kovalev when things weren't doing so well, we almost got rid of the guy who's responsible for this turnaround. We keep booing at ex-hab players, all the riots that happened over time, and it goes as far as the Geoffrion booing for having beaten Richard for the scoring title......Seems to me that Larry Smith thinks that the organization is classless and lack respect since they're doing the Roy even the same weekend then the Grey Cup. Seems to me that the crowd was bashed on tons of occasions for booing anthem and booing ex-players. Also seems to me that our own reputation in this board is not that great 'cause other fanbases keep saying how as a group we're arrogant and classless....

Seems to me that we're becoming the same kind of fans than the Yankees fans.....we should probably start to deal with that as unpleasant it could be for the majority of us....
It comes with the passion for a specific sports team. You quote the Yankees, but I could give you tons of similar examples from the world of european and south american soccer. It's an unavoidable and bad side effect of something fundamentally good.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 10:13 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Was the Avs that big of a rival? There's surely no sign of ex-nords in there so why were people booing Theo? 'Cause he lost his confidence with us? Did he say anything wrong before being traded? Still, people booed his ass out of the arena even with the trophies and the games he won by himself. Sure it doesn't help to play for the Bruins, for sure. Everytime I eat some peanut butter, I can't help but to boo that fricking Kraft jar......still, Brisebois after he was traded would have played for Columbus that he would have been booed as well....
I didn't say that it was only Bruins players that Habs fans boo. I said that Ryder playing for the Bruins was a big factor in his getting booed. Of course, the fans boo some other players from other teams, even from our own team. The example of Brisebois is pointless. He's been booed playing for the Habs, of course some fans would boo him for the Jackets. However, what I'm saying, is that if Ryder were playing for the Jackets, there would be a lot less jeering of him from a Montreal crowd when they came to town, then there will be tonight.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Habs crowd should be more classy. BECAUSE we are the Montreal Canadiens also. Wouldn't it be cool for instance if when they name the 3 stars of the game and an opponant gets chosen amongst the three stars, the crowd would cheer him as a mark of respect? Let's face it, when an opponant gets named amongst the stars, he's proud. Because it's the Habs, it's a special moment for him. He feels honored. How about the crowd play along and clap for him BECAUSE he was able to play well on holly ground.

Just a thought.

There was a game in the early 90's where the habs dominated the canucks in the forum but kirk mclean played out of his mind and got something like a 45 save shutout.

McLean was named the first star and the crowd gave him a brief standing ovation.

Some of the elder canuck fans still talk about this day once in a while on the local sports shows.

Having said that, I think the mannerisms have changed in today's habs fan. This is not the same crowd that would come dressed in their best clothing at the forum.

I have no problem with booing an opposing player. It makes the game more interesting for the fans, the casual observers, and the players themselves. It adds to the theater and atmosphere. Sometimes, it backfires against montreal as some players clearly get fueled by the extra attention and have a big night. In the end though, it keeps everyone that much more attached to the game whether you are cheering for the habs or wanting them to die. I remember the old boston garden and how many times the crowd in that rink would throw crap on the ice and delay the game. To me, throwing crap on the ice is over the line. Booing is just fine, though.

The only booing I have a problem with is booing your own players. The fans want their team to win the game, and if they think that booing their own player will help towards that cause, they are idiots. Some players might just brush the booing off their backs, but I cant remember any player being booed in montreal that ended with a positive result. It either resulted in panicked trades, or the player slumping into a bottomless downward spiral (or both). It doesn;t do anyone any good. If the team plays poorly, I dont have a problem with the booing, but singling a player out can have alot of negative impacts.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 11:47 AM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 835
The crowd will continue to boo Chara and the crowd will definitely boo Ryder. It's the way it is and it isn't going to change anytime soon. The crowd in Montreal is one of kind in the NHL. Sometimes that reflects negatively, but usually it simply screams out "we love our hockey". I love the energy in Montreal and would never remove any component that would have obvious adverse effects on that atmosphere.

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 11:48 AM
la25ecoupe

Well, i guess Lang got booed last time in bufallo?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Haddock

Quote:
If Huet gets booed "I" will Riot.
Don't do it unless you want to see znk come here and whine about how much your actions are affecting "him".

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
Well, i guess Lang got booed last time in bufallo?
Why would Sabres fans hate Lang?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Garo

Quote:
Could be worse, we could become similar to Red Sox fans

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Skrudland

There's nothing wrong with some good natured booing. I booed a guy at work just yesterday. He seemed to take it pretty well.

And at least we're not Toronto FC fans.

Skrudland is online now   Reply With Quote