HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laraques In

Old
10-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
actually i dont think so. there are many people i would rather have as my enforcer to be honest. I would take an Orr or a King over him any day of the week.
Even if you're right, BGL is much more formidable than Tom Kostopoulos.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Nails Jenkins

Everyone is yapping about Lucic or Chara being too scared to fight, but I bet you were all the same guys that were defending Komisarek for not dropping them with Lucic in the playoffs. When the Bs fans called you on it you claimed Komi was too valuable to fight and was better served on the ice. Correct! But why is it any different when it comes to Chara, or to a lesser degree Lucic, fighting Laraque?

Must be b/c they're scared ****less, right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skule123 View Post
It's weird to parse all this outrage about the Begin crosscheck from the organization that was convinced the McLaren hit on Zednik was clean hockey.
True enough, but now the roles have been reversed and it's our fans who are downplaying an act of either malice or complete stupidity, from a player who repeatedly makes the same mistakes.

Begin's crosscheck was really overlooked last season. No one seems to care beyond Bs fans, but the reality is that it was a completely unnecessary and dirty play, typical Begin. It sidelined the Bs best player for the end of the reg season and to add insult to injury, when they faced us in the 1st round Savard wasn't 100%.

I might harbour some discontent as well. Maybe Begin is coming out of the lineup so he doesn't get his face beaten in (again), which is really too bad.

Nails Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Carbo N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Lucic could play on my team. I was going to post about how the 2 teams have differed in philosophy over having tough guys, over the years. The B's always preferred to have a real presence and preferably more than one.

The Hbas have always been more reactionnary. In the 60's they thought they were getting pushed around, so in comes, Harper,Harris and Fergy.

In the 70's a bunch of guys are brought in, Chartraw,Lambert, Lupien etc.

10 years later, Nilan, then Kordic. They always seem to want to get away from it, then react when necessary. It's been over 40 years on the same cycle it seems.
I guess it goes back to the Boston Gardens being a smaller building where physical play was better suited to the smaller rink and could be used to slow down the speed of the Habs back then. Of course, the fans came to appreciate that style of play and most even prefer it, so, they still have to have a certain amount of that presence in the lineup to please the fans.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 05:37 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Even if you're right, BGL is much more formidable than Tom Kostopoulos.
you are absolutely right. Laraque is a great fighter but he doesnt seem to have that mean streak others have.

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 05:43 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Well looks like Thornton isnt too concerned by the fact that Guy put BGL in the lineup.

He should be

Old
10-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Carbo N8

[QUOTE=yohan1212;15863763]you are absolutely right. Laraque is a great fighter but he doesnt QUOTE]seem to have that mean streak others have.[/

He doesn't go looking like others do, but, all he has to do is fight angry and he seems to do that.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

My 6 years old nephew just called me all that enthousiastic to tell me Laraques was playing tonight. My nephew is awesome. w0t! w0t!

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:26 PM
THE HOFF

whats his weight.... is says 253 lbs on nhl.com but I thought it would be more than that.... anyone?

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:47 PM
CPrice

Don't think its was posted yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcsdwBNZQas

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post

Jack Edwards is an idiot

"You gotta give it to Thornton on the takedown"

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

what about the extra fifty shots he took in the back of the head.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Jack Edwards is an idiot

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Edwards and Brickley hyped everything the Bruins did. Admittedly, the Bruins did do some good things but Thornton got at best a draw.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Beakermania*

Well it says something when your opening is a recap of game 6 of the first round last year... and totally ignores Game 7 as if it never happened.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 11:38 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post

I can't believe the Bruin fans think Thornton won. Take a look at 8-10 seconds Laraque hammered Thornton's face, after that Thornton wraps around Laraque at 12 seconds like a cheap W@#$% and hangs on leaving Laraque only punches to the back of the head. Laraque took over that fight about 3 seconds after getting up from being tossed over. The reason he got tossed over it seems he was still going towards the boards while Thornton had stopped and Thornton used Laraque's motion and weight against him, good move you don't want BGL setting himself up. If Laraque didn't go down and they were closer to center ice Thornton would of been in trouble I believe.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 06:08 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I love Laraque but I hope we're not gonna have these sort of "drop the gloves in a pointless moment" too much. Carbo has to time this right and at least send George to send messages. Like if one of our players gets a dirty shot, send George. No more of "our players can take a hit" crap. We have to be respected.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 07:20 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I love Laraque but I hope we're not gonna have these sort of "drop the gloves in a pointless moment" too much. Carbo has to time this right and at least send George to send messages. Like if one of our players gets a dirty shot, send George. No more of "our players can take a hit" crap. We have to be respected.
Carbo doesn't seem to buy in to that philosophy much. Pointless fights and 5 mins of ice-time for Laraque at least gives Kovalev some double shifts? Past that, a rather inauspicious debut for BGL.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Jack Edwards is an idiot

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

if you think RDS is homerism, NESN is a ton worse.

At worse the fight was a draw but there's no way Thornton won, he barely hit Laraque.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 08:02 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Hell... if we lead by one goal at the end of the game, just put Laraque on the ice and give him the puck. He just has to face the boards with the puck and nobody else will ever touch it in the remaining of the game. You'd need a train to get the puck when he turns his back...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 08:25 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Jack Edwards is an idiot

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Apparently "takedowns" count more than punches landed. It may not have been a decisive win but my vote goes to the guy who wasn't hanging on for dear life - BGL.

Here's Laraque's take on the scrap Canadiens Link

Last edited by habfan4: 10-16-2008 at 08:34 AM.
habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

It's comical how biased fans suddenly think that their enforcer who hangs on for dear life and takes 12-15 punches but drags down the other guy gets the win. I'd let the other guy have the takedown on every fight if I could get 10-15 punches on him and he didn't swing back.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 08:33 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Jack Edwards is an idiot

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I also was shock by the take down. At the same time, first game by Laraque, no pre-season game either, and wow did he ever get back up quick

Everyone wants the take down and after a few shots by Laraque, Thornton remembered that wrestling hurts less.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Apparently "takedowns" count more than punches landed. It may not have been a decisive win but my vote goes to the guy who wasn't hanging on for dear life - BGL.

Here's Laraque's take on the scrap Canadiens Link
From the article...

Quote:
According to the Canadiens’ new enforcer, the fact that Laraque dropped the gloves only seven seconds into his first shift as a Hab may prove to only be a sign of things to come.

“You shouldn’t be surprised by that seven seconds,” warned Laraque. “Believe me, you’ll be seeing a lot more of that, and I’ll probably even beat that time this season.”
As I predicted - I think BGL plans on getting 'feisty' this season....

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 09:22 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
From the article...

As I predicted - I think BGL plans on getting 'feisty' this season....
Reading Thornton's comments on TSN about Laraque's presence always being in the back of opposing tough guy's minds was something I found very interesting. Thornton sounded as if he was relieved to get the fight with Georges over with and to have survived it. I think that Laraque knows he is here to be the policeman of the team, and is willing to take on that role more prominently than he has in the past couple years. Should be fun to watch.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 09:26 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
Reading Thornton's comments on TSN about Laraque's presence always being in the back of opposing tough guy's minds was something I found very interesting. Thornton sounded as if he was relieved to get the fight with Georges over with and to have survived it. I think that Laraque knows he is here to be the policeman of the team, and is willing to take on that role more prominently than he has in the past couple years. Should be fun to watch.
PJ Stock has talked about how it feels on the bench, playing 2 shifts a period knowing that you'll be going out, probably cold, to fight. It's a tough mindset to have and I don't think any of these guys take it lightly.

I think GL proably wants to let people know he intends to get involved early, so that he won't have to too often.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 10:47 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
PJ Stock has talked about how it feels on the bench, playing 2 shifts a period knowing that you'll be going out, probably cold, to fight. It's a tough mindset to have and I don't think any of these guys take it lightly.

I think GL proably wants to let people know he intends to get involved early, so that he won't have to too often.
good point...

I really think he knows who and when to fight ... he's a very smart guy, and he's not shy ... he'll do whatever he has to do... but he had to make that statement early in the season...

because he shows carbo he knows his role, he shows the players he knows his role, he shows the fans that he knows his role... it was a very logical fight... I can already hear clowns at CKAC argue and wonder why laraque didn't drop them within the first few games...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 11:45 AM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
It's not pointless at all though, this is what BGL does, he takes their toughest guy and completely removes him from the game...I didn't hear or see much from Thornton for the rest of the game after that.

His role as an enforcer is not just to be reactionary, it's also to be pre-emptive, by intimidating the other teams tough guys he can prevent some of the cheapshots from happening in the first place.

Last edited by yukoner: 10-16-2008 at 11:51 AM.
yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote