HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Habs win in Shootout...4-3 over the Bruins

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2008, 06:31 AM
shealy04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Don't like that we still haven't learned to play a full 60 minute game.

And yet 7 of a possible 8?

Not bad.

Old
10-16-2008, 06:39 AM
Blades 0f Steel

A few notes from last night's game:

-Laraque definitely made a difference & the Bruins were pretty quiet. Carbo tried to get him out there against Lucic in the 3rd. Basically what I was expecting from Big Georges, his presence keeps the opposition honest.

-Lapierre had an absolute gift & bobbled a few more chances, but he got all those chances from hard work. Solid game from him, & he's improving his play in his own end. He's much, much better along the boards & at stripping the puck off a player in his own zone.

-Price was giving out a ton of rebounds & bobbled the puck which lead to the 2nd goal. Oddly enough, this was his strength last season when he was a rookie. In spite of this, he was quick enough to react to just about everything. I think over the course of the season he'll calm down & put it all together.

-Tanguay, Pleks, A.Kost, S.Kost, Lang, Koivu, Kovalev: beautiful, beautiful plays as always. A.Kost is a beast, Kovalev was just...magnificent at times. I hope Saku's OK.

-Tender: He ran into Chara full speed a couple of times, you wouldn't see that last year from him. He needs to keep his stick on the ice if he's to stay on the 2nd line or the PP unit. A lot of people will want to pick on him for every little minutiae, but he wasn't bad last night. A lot of the passes from the 2nd line were either bouncing around or intercepted by Bruin sticks.

-Hamr & Komi: they looked a little like Rivet & Souray when they took bad penalties. I thought Komi had his best game yet, despite missing 1/4 of it from the penalty box.

-Kostopoulos: geez, he really is twice as good as Begin.

-Chipchura: would have looked damn good between Lapierre & Laraque

Overall: the Habs weren't that bad in the 2nd & 3rd, really. Just credit the Bruins for making a game out of it & blame the Habs/refs for penalty troubles. Not to mention all the bad bounces/missed chances in the last 6 minutes...the Bruins were very lucky to get a point.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 10-16-2008 at 06:56 AM.
Old
10-16-2008, 06:57 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

What l learned about the Habs last night: they are f***ing softies and will never win anything important as long as it continue to be that way.

After the Laraques fight, the crowd was all enthousiastic and the players should have wanted to eat the rink, hits everything that move. But this is not what happened. I was surprised how the players didn't feed on the energy to make their presence felt. Because of it the game was a weird one with no momentum. No passion. No much hits coming from O'Byrne and Komi...what are paying these guys for? I mean did we know we were facing the Boston Bruins? We should have more guys that wants to play physical and we had a third line that was very innefective this time. Dandy is useless if he's not gonna have more grit. He's just a big body that serves nothing. Kosto didn't scare anything.

That lack of intensity had an effect over everything from lack of hits to how awkward we were on the PK. Plek totaly caused the first goal because he refused to take a hit. Chiken Sh** attitude that got us beat by the Flyers in the playoffs.

Furhermore what the Hell happened to the powerplay that was so effective against Toronto and why the Hell they got Lang out of the there? The two wave powerplay system makes me want to vomit. Put all your best guys on the first wave! Last year we finished first and yet it was with only one effective wave. We need a righty on the PP and Lang should be there! Saku is good at getting his nose dirty, he should be there too. I mean in Toronto it was f***ing scary to see Markov, Tanguay, Lang, Saku and Kovy there. Keep it that way! Changing it is the same damn stubborn illogical decision-making that had Carbo not break up the Samsonov-Kovalev like even though it was not working. I mean we had that crap for the whole year almost.

Sure we have skills but that's not how you win respect and makes you win championships. That's drive, that's character. But we almost let eveybody down because we had none last night.

Old
10-16-2008, 07:03 AM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
What l learned about the Habs last night: they are f***ing softies and will never win anything important as long as it continue to be that way.

After the Laraques fight, the crowd was all enthousiastic and the players should have wanted to eat the rink, hits everything that move. But this is not what happened. I was surprised how the players didn't feed on the energy to make their presence felt. Because of it the game was a weird one with no momentum. No passion. No much hits coming from O'Byrne and Komi...what are paying these guys for? I mean did we know we were facing the Boston Bruins? We should have more guys that wants to play physical and we had a third line that was very innefective this time. Dandy is useless if he's not gonna have more grit. He's just a big body that serves nothing. Kosto didn't scare anything.

That lack of intensity had an effect over everything from lack of hits to how awkward we were on the PK. Plek totaly caused the first goal because he refused to take a hit. Chiken Sh** attitude that got us beat by the Flyers in the playoffs.

Furhermore what the Hell happened to the powerplay that was so effective against Toronto and why the Hell they got Lang out of the there? The two wave powerplay system makes me want to vomit. Put all your best guys on the first wave! Last year we finished first and yet it was with only one effective wave. We need a righty on the PP and Lang should be there! Saku is good at getting his nose dirty, he should be there too. I mean in Toronto it was f***ing scary to see Markov, Tanguay, Lang, Saku and Kovy there. Keep it that way! Changing it is the same damn stubborn illogical decision-making that had Carbo not break up the Samsonov-Kovalev like even though it was not working. I mean we had that crap for the whole year almost.

Sure we have skills but that's not how you win respect and makes you win championships. That's drive, that's character. But we almost let eveybody down because we had none last night.

YIKES! I'm glad we didn't loose or you'd be pissed.

Old
10-16-2008, 07:07 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:

Overreacting much?

O'Byrne has a couple of nice hits, one comes to mind just inside the Bruins line.

Not a bad game, just a game that the team did not play for the full 60 minutes.

Old
10-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Tuggy

Not the best game last night but decent enough I guess. Habs have certainly played better and they have certainly played worse, kind of in between. Price once was awesome and sucks that bounce had to happen because he didn't deserve that with the way he played. I still can't believe Lang didn't pass on that 3 on 1 with Ryder as the defenseman...oh well 2 points is 2 points.

I can't wait to see Higgins back in the lineup and add even more firepower to our lineup. And I can't wait to see him back with Koivu and Tanguay. No offense to Lats, but he can't keep up with highly skilled guys on a regular basis.

Pleks and Akost are so close to breaking out but they keep getting robbed. But the points with come.

Old
10-16-2008, 07:11 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
YIKES! I'm glad we didn't loose or you'd be pissed.
Last night made me sick to my stomach.

The expectations are high and we need to build character better than last year if we don't want to be thrown out of the playoffs by weaker teams.

Old
10-16-2008, 07:12 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Wearing my Tanguay T-Shirt this morning ...

If you found the crowd was not crazy at the game... I'm not the one to blame... My voice's struggling this morning...

I didn't stop screaming after Ryder in the warmup...

"Hey Ryder! Learn to skate!"

Quote:

Wow... If the Habs are softies, why don't you go and cheer for the Ruins?

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-16-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old
10-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Drunk World Order

Man some of you guys will never be happy...no matter what happens ...we won the game! ...Boston got a very lucky bounce... its sad that people are soooooo critical ...I mean guys are gonna make mistakes and have off days ...that's life...but we still won and are undefeated in regulation... but still people are not happy ...I really just don't get it... I read other team boards and some fans aren't even as critical when there team losses ...but we win and some !diots are being negative about everything...Its sad very sad!

Old
10-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:

Old
10-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
- AK46 was a little invisible. He got two penalty calls he did not deserve, and from there, he didn't play his game anymore.
He wasn't at his best last night but the whole line isn't playing anywhere near their best as a line. Kovalev is showing his stickhandling to almost the max, but the line isn't based upon that one single aspect.

Andrei has the best shot on the team. Probably the 2nd best pair of hands on the team. Is one of our better passers. Goes to the net for the puck. Goes to the corners for the puck. Tries to get open for the puck. Plays on a line with Kovalev. There can only be one puck on the ice at a time. Problem.

Last year, it all worked out for that line a lot of the time but this year things aren't clicking so well yet. Plekanec isn't on his game yet. Rarely did he look comfortable with the puck on his stick last night. Kovalev is/was brilliant with the puck and it's great to see him deke players more often in a shift than there are actual players on the ice to deke. But it looks to me that at times he is over complicating things when a simple pass would do. I don't know if it is a knock on effect, it appeared to be so at times last night, but when Andrei gets the puck, there are times when he tries to make the most of it, as though he won't see it again for 10 minutes (and with the penalties we take this year and him not killing them, could happen).

I can't wait to see that line when Plekanec is on for the night as he links things up so well and works so hard. With him on his game, I think he will spread play out much better on his line. Right now, it looks like almost everything defaults to Kovalev and when it doesn't, Andrei tries a little too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
I know there's a lot of that and no one can take those numbers away, I like his willingness to go to the net. I was prolly salivating at a curious dream where I saw a Tanguay-Koivu-Akost line.
If the Plekanec line doesn't find its form and if Gui can't keep up his current form, I'd love to see a Tanguay - Koivu - A.Kost line put together. So many reasons why:

- Andrei on the right wing
- Koivu has a couple of guys who can do a lot of skating for him
- Each can draw the attention away from the other two
- Each can make great passes
- Each of them can skate well
- They can all finish chances to a reasonable degree
- Saku is a determined kind of guy, Tanguay isn't a big hitter but is regularly involved in the physical play, Andrei can hammer people and push Chara around
- Alex and Saku can spend their time teeing up the guy with the best shot on the team
- Andrei doesn't have to wait until Kovalev has finished filming 'Alex Kovalev: Hockey Skills 2' DVD to get the puck

Things might work out fine for all the lines currently together, but if they don't, I'd like to see the above as a backup plan.

On another issue, has Carbo mentioned why he double shifted Kovalev in place of Laraque at times last night? Was it because BGL is just coming back and finding his fitness or was it a strategic thing? I'm only curious because once again we stopped playing and tried holding onto our lead. If all your players are good to play and the coach starts benching/double shifting guys, maybe that has a sub-conscious effect on a team. It likely isn't the main reason, but as a player if your coach starts making decisions designed to limit risk, it could have some effect.

Hopefully our boys learn from this game and don't let up/lose concentration and take penalties again for a little while.

Last edited by Qui Gon Dave: 10-16-2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: changed Guy to Gui
Old
10-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Pretty much. Lucky we got the win in SO.

As for the whole Tenderness stuff, he has been playing better but in the end, as mentioned, it has to do a lot with Koivu. Guillaume still has rock hands most of the time and missed a couple of nice set-ups that Higgins would have likely hit the post on.
Fixed. 'Cause one ridiculous statement is no worse than another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
On another issue, has Carbo mentioned why he double shifted Kovalev in place of Laraque at times last night?
I've read quotes from Kovalev's previous coaches who have stated that Kovalev would stay on the whole game if they let him. In a link I posted yesterday (?) I think it was mentioned that after staying out too long (according to the coach) the coach sarcastically told him to stay out when he approached the bench... like 5 times.

It wasn't until after the game (in the dressing room) that he found out it wasn't a reward for his play, the coach was probably just trying to make him puke or make a point.

Anyhoo, he's a guy who likes to play a lot, it was a close game, and he looked close to breaking something out a few times. I wouldn't look too much into it other than an opportunity to give one of your best players more ice time to ensure a win for the home opener.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-16-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old
10-16-2008, 08:09 AM
mcphee

I thought the game was a bit like Super Bowl Sunday against the Rangers. They got the lead, had some close calls, were moving the puck around easily, but did the same thing, they fell in love with their skill. They watched all the nice passes and let up on what gives them room to make them.

Every now and then it happens. I thought the B's worked hard and it'll be interesting to see them develop because their strength is in having more finesse forwards than in the past. I wonder how this will work out long term. I thought Chara played like a captain for one of the few times against Mtl. He played a great game, esp. the 2nd half when in the past, he'd lose his composure a bit. Mtl doesn't quite have the 3 line advantage over Boston, at least not down the middle as Boston has 3 good C's. They aren't nearly as deep on the wing, esp in terms of offensive talent, but they match C with anybody.

Tanguay had nothing to show for his 5 on 5 work but easily had his best game. Latendresse is in the play in situations that he wouldn't have gotten to in the past. He flubbed some promising chances last night, but he was there to have them so..., it's a good sign.

Discipline let Boston back into the game, I thought, Boston worked hard, but penalties opened the door. I thought the pk was strong last night.

Overall, they obviously have stuff in their game to owrk out, but have 7 out of 8 points while doing so.

If you look at Mtl's style, fault them for not scoring the 4th more than giving up the 3rd.

Old
10-16-2008, 08:16 AM
smack66

Bruins fan, I come in peace. Great game last night, congrats on the win, looking forward to another fun season of heated rivalry

Old
10-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Wearing my Tanguay T-Shirt this morning ...

If you found the crowd was not crazy at the game... I'm not the one to blame... My voice's struggling this morning...

I didn't stop screaming after Ryder in the warmup...

"Hey Ryder! Learn to skate!"
were you in the blues around section 404? There were a couple of guys behind us that kept shouting hilarious comments to the players like "pete y a gueule!!!" every 2 minutes.. or "Chara crisse que t'es laid!"

Old
10-16-2008, 08:23 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Exactly... we lost the home opener last year... we often lose the home opener.

He's over a PPG for crying out loud....

Lats can do no right with some people.
LOL i know what you mean !!! Unreal.

Quote:

Yep we should be more like the Red Wings, goon it up...

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-16-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old
10-16-2008, 08:28 AM
BadKiwi

I want to know why Koivu did not play in OT

Old
10-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:

People pissed after a win... and we wonder why UFAs don't sign here...

Old
10-16-2008, 08:50 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
were you in the blues around section 404? There were a couple of guys behind us that kept shouting hilarious comments to the players like "pete y a gueule!!!" every 2 minutes.. or "Chara crisse que t'es laid!"
No... I was in the reds lol...

I called Chara a baboon/Shrek a couple of times though...
I screamed after Ryder and Lucic also...

Old
10-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I thought the Habs thoroughly dominated the first 2 periods but lacked a bit of finish. It could have easily been 4 or 5 to 1 the way they were outplaying the Bruins.

In the 3rd they seemed to sit on the lead and stop attacking, the bad call on Kostystyn didn't help, then Komi componded it with his mugging. Boston got REALLY lucky on that tieing goal off the shoot in.

If the boys play like they did the first 40 minutes on most nights, they won't lose many games, the only team that can play at that pace is Detroit.

The Tanguay-Koivu-Lats line seems to have good chemistry and Tanguay had one of his better games last night.

Old
10-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

that.was.freakin.awesome.

Old
10-16-2008, 09:48 AM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I agree with Kriss E

Apparently some people watch the games and analyze what is actually going on...

And some people say I'm gonna hate Latendresse no matter what happens, and never give him any credit, and if he scores it will be all cause of someone else on his line, and he's a bum, and hes fat, and blah, blah, blah, blah blah,... But they are impartial.

You can talk about tap in goals and Koivu doing all the work and all your crap... but A huge part of being a good goal scorer is being in the right place at the right time... being open for those so called easy opportunities. Lats is finding the right spots right now... the area from faceoff dot to face off dot and in, in front of the other teams net. People aren't pushing him around down low... and things are working on the line with 2 playmakers. I'd bet if you go back and watch his 5 points on NHL.com at least 4 of the five, if not all 5 are scored by him in this area....
Agreed, I second all of that.

I'm so pissed at some fans here...

Lats couldn't have a better start this season and some people still critiscize him... What you want more from this guy ? He hits, works hard, creates great chances with his passing play, shoots the puck, and yet there's people not giving him any credit at all. Go ask Hammer if he gave some credits to Lats on one of his goals, go ask Koivu and he will tell you Lats has improved and is better than last year. Pure blind hate on a hometown boy. If his name was 'Smith' you would all praise him.

Old
10-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Roulin

Quote:
After the Laraques fight, the crowd was all enthousiastic and the players should have wanted to eat the rink, hits everything that move. But this is not what happened. I was surprised how the players didn't feed on the energy to make their presence felt. Because of it the game was a weird one with no momentum.
From where I was sitting, it was a meaningless fight. Neither Laraque nor Thornton were defending teammates. The game had not gotten to the point where players were going to be riled up by their respective goons going at it. If our players needed a fight like that to get motivated, then we'd have a problem.

I think a better example of momentum being triggered would be Lapierre's shorthanded goal. Unfortunately it was at the end of the period, so the Habs couldn't really do anything with that momentum.

Old
10-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
Yep we should be more like the Red Wings, goon it up...
lol..The Red Wings are one of the last teams I would think of when it comes to goons.

10-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
A few notes from last night's game:

-Laraque definitely made a difference & the Bruins were pretty quiet. Carbo tried to get him out there against Lucic in the 3rd. Basically what I was expecting from Big Georges, his presence keeps the opposition honest.

-Lapierre had an absolute gift & bobbled a few more chances, but he got all those chances from hard work. Solid game from him, & he's improving his play in his own end. He's much, much better along the boards & at stripping the puck off a player in his own zone.

-Price was giving out a ton of rebounds & bobbled the puck which lead to the 2nd goal. Oddly enough, this was his strength last season when he was a rookie. In spite of this, he was quick enough to react to just about everything. I think over the course of the season he'll calm down & put it all together.

-Tanguay, Pleks, A.Kost, S.Kost, Lang, Koivu, Kovalev: beautiful, beautiful plays as always. A.Kost is a beast, Kovalev was just...magnificent at times. I hope Saku's OK.

-Tender: He ran into Chara full speed a couple of times, you wouldn't see that last year from him. He needs to keep his stick on the ice if he's to stay on the 2nd line or the PP unit. A lot of people will want to pick on him for every little minutiae, but he wasn't bad last night. A lot of the passes from the 2nd line were either bouncing around or intercepted by Bruin sticks.

-Hamr & Komi: they looked a little like Rivet & Souray when they took bad penalties. I thought Komi had his best game yet, despite missing 1/4 of it from the penalty box.

-Kostopoulos: geez, he really is twice as good as Begin.

-Chipchura: would have looked damn good between Lapierre & Laraque

Overall: the Habs weren't that bad in the 2nd & 3rd, really. Just credit the Bruins for making a game out of it & blame the Habs/refs for penalty troubles. Not to mention all the bad bounces/missed chances in the last 6 minutes...the Bruins were very lucky to get a point.

I wanted to take note of the refs' names in case I ever go postal one day.

That tripping on Kovy was ridiculous, and they both saw it. The score was 3-2 and would've killed any comeback chances by the Ruins. But they didn't call it all in the sake of 'parity' in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMario View Post
Agreed, I second all of that.

I'm so pissed at some fans here...

Lats couldn't have a better start this season and some people still critiscize him... What you want more from this guy ? He hits, works hard, creates great chances with his passing play, shoots the puck, and yet there's people not giving him any credit at all. Go ask Hammer if he gave some credits to Lats on one of his goals, go ask Koivu and he will tell you Lats has improved and is better than last year. Pure blind hate on a hometown boy. If his name was 'Smith' you would all praise him.

He's great!!! but he still looks fat

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-16-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Closed Thread