HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

PGT: Habs win in Shootout...4-3 over the Bruins

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2008, 09:03 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
From where I was sitting, it was a meaningless fight. Neither Laraque nor Thornton were defending teammates. The game had not gotten to the point where players were going to be riled up by their respective goons going at it. If our players needed a fight like that to get motivated, then we'd have a problem.

I think a better example of momentum being triggered would be Lapierre's shorthanded goal. Unfortunately it was at the end of the period, so the Habs couldn't really do anything with that momentum.
Agreed. It was more of a case of, 'ok, it's 3-0, we've accomplished what we've set out to do' I can't see there's criticism of how play developed thru the 1st.

Then what happened is what always happens. There's ebb and flow to every game and it's hardly rare that the team down 3 is hungrier than the team up 3. It's happened to far better teams than this one.

Old
10-16-2008, 09:06 AM
otto bond

he nice thing about those four game was the way we pulled out all these points. That's 7 out of 8. Sure we could had showed up put I think the team (coach doing the coaching) will get tuned up. Also it was the fourth game not including that big preseason stretch, in the past 6 days. That's lots of Hockey. With all the ceremonies, it hard to get your emotion in check and has a result they almost lost the game.

Old
10-16-2008, 09:11 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I wanted to take note of the refs' names in case I ever go postal one day.

That tripping on Kovy was ridiculous, and they both saw it. The score was 3-2 and would've killed any comeback chances by the Ruins. But they didn't call it all in the sake of 'parity' in the league.
That's a gripe of mine, when they start changing the game. Yeah, Kovalev was tripped, so a shift later, Koivu took a guy down inside the Habs blueline, also no call. Usually what happens is that someone else, thinking the whistles have been put away,then takes a cheapo.

Old
10-16-2008, 09:21 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
lol..The Red Wings are one of the last teams I would think of when it comes to goons.
me too, hence my sarcastic remark

Old
10-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Donkeyz

One very positive aspect overshadowed by the offense prowess in the last 2 games is the Habs' physical play.

I tought the Habs were bigger and stronger then the Bruins & the Flyers. When Price froze the puck, our D would litteraly push around and stare down the opponent's players. O'Byrne is still learning and sometimes gets caught out of position, but his size, strength & reach definately impose respect. Komisarek, Hamrlik, O'Byrne are tough SOB, way more intimidating then the Bs/Flyers D corp.

Our role players are stronger, our talent players are agressive ( please see Les Bruns fans comments for ''details'' on Kostitsyn's play), Latendresse finishes his checks better and Lang goes into traffic.

Can't wait to add Higgins & Bouillon to the lineup !

Last edited by Donkeyz: 10-16-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old
10-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
From where I was sitting, it was a meaningless fight. Neither Laraque nor Thornton were defending teammates. The game had not gotten to the point where players were going to be riled up by their respective goons going at it. If our players needed a fight like that to get motivated, then we'd have a problem.

I think a better example of momentum being triggered would be Lapierre's shorthanded goal. Unfortunately it was at the end of the period, so the Habs couldn't really do anything with that momentum.
Didn't Georges say he went after Thornton because of the Begin fight in the preseason?

At 0-0, early in the game if BGL feels he needs to settle the score I don't see any problem with that. It didn't put the team in trouble, didn't hurt the flow of the game. Plus it gets the crowd into it, which can boost the players. Also, the rest of the game definitely wasn't nearly as chippy as other Bruins games. There was 1 scrum I think (where Lucic and Komi got 10mins). Whether or not Laraque had anything to do with that is obviously debatable, but if he helps the players play with confidence then he's doing his job.

Also, any word on why Lucic and Komisarek got 10min misconducts? It seemed to be a little glossed over and I didn't hear any explanation as to why they got the penalties.

Another issue that isn't really being brought up is A. Kostitsyn boarding people. Doesn't seem thread worthy yet, but we seem to be ignoring that this is the second time in 4 games he's hit from behind. (And I'm pretty sure he hit Chara from behind in the playoffs last year.) I'm all for him finishing his checks and playing a physical game, but he needs to know when to let up. Two hits from behind in four games isn't an accident that happens once in a while when you play physical, it's starting to become a trend that needs to be taken care of.

Old
10-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post

Also, any word on why Lucic and Komisarek got 10min misconducts? It seemed to be a little glossed over and I didn't hear any explanation as to why they got the penalties.
from what I saw Komi and Lucic got into a war of words and both got 2 mins for roughing.. but then Lucic was mouthing off at the refs and that could be where he got 10. I don't know why Komi got it. There could have been some spearing or something going on in the scrum.. It's weird they put them in the box first tho, makes no sense if they knew they both had 10 minutes.

come to think of it, there was 11 something left in the period.. so it's possible they decided to throw them out instead of letting them sit in the box.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-16-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old
10-16-2008, 09:31 AM
SmurfsFTW
DD for Masterton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
He's great!!! but he still looks fat

Old
10-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
he nice thing about those four game was the way we pulled out all these points. That's 7 out of 8. Sure we could had showed up put I think the team (coach doing the coaching) will get tuned up. Also it was the fourth game not including that big preseason stretch, in the past 6 days. That's lots of Hockey. With all the ceremonies, it hard to get your emotion in check and has a result they almost lost the game.
I think the weird bounce the puck made on the boards was a bigger cause of us almost losing than our players emotions. I felt we played a pretty good game. We had a couple of unlucky bounces, that's all.

Old
10-16-2008, 09:44 AM
SmurfsFTW
DD for Masterton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
Didn't Georges say he went after Thornton because of the Begin fight in the preseason?

At 0-0, early in the game if BGL feels he needs to settle the score I don't see any problem with that. It didn't put the team in trouble, didn't hurt the flow of the game. Plus it gets the crowd into it, which can boost the players. Also, the rest of the game definitely wasn't nearly as chippy as other Bruins games. There was 1 scrum I think (where Lucic and Komi got 10mins). Whether or not Laraque had anything to do with that is obviously debatable, but if he helps the players play with confidence then he's doing his job.

Another issue that isn't really being brought up is A. Kostitsyn boarding people. Doesn't seem thread worthy yet, but we seem to be ignoring that this is the second time in 4 games he's hit from behind. (And I'm pretty sure he hit Chara from behind in the playoffs last year.) I'm all for him finishing his checks and playing a physical game, but he needs to know when to let up. Two hits from behind in four games isn't an accident that happens once in a while when you play physical, it's starting to become a trend that needs to be taken care of.
On that particular play, yesterday, did Dennis Wideman, who probably KNEW he was about to get plastered, tried to protect himself ? No, he turned his back, like a stupid Bantam kid that want to have his neck broken. I'm very happy with A.Kost bringing a physical dimension in his game, Dennis Wideman can't turn his back like that all season long, he'll end up in an hospital like Bergie. Imagine if it was actually our hardest hitter (Laraque or Komisarek) that was coming like a train... The guy maybe wouldn't have came back home on his legs... And the call was 'boarding', I've seen way worse checks than this one that weren't penalized.

Old
10-16-2008, 09:48 AM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
yep Markov always try the five-hole goal.
Not true, last season he was successful a couple of times with a quick back hand deke and shot. He won us at least one game with that move.

Old
10-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I'm so confused, wasn't Lang supposed to be the one that's good at faceoffs? How the heck did Plekanec get his awsome faceoff skills. 4 games in and he's at over 62%. I don't think its a fluke either since he's been good in the preseason games as well.

Old
10-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I'm so confused, wasn't Lang supposed to be the one that's good at faceoffs? How the heck did Plekanec get his awsome faceoff skills. 4 games in and he's at over 62%. I don't think its a fluke either since he's been good in the preseason games as well.
Pierre mentioned something last night about faceoffs being the main thing Plekanec worked on in the offseason. It's clearly paying off early in the season.

Old
10-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Bruins were full of it, i cant beleive they are happy for that game.

The 5 on 3 was a dumb call, expecially after those calls, the refs decided to stop calling penalties.

and the last goal, well...wow, they say Price choked? Are you kidding? that was a once in a lifetime bounce that was as fluke as Micheal Ryder getting a point he deserves.

Sure montreal stopped playing hard after the first but all the bounces went the bruins way and guesss what, they still lost.

12 in a row.

Old
10-16-2008, 10:01 AM
speed11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
Not true, last season he was successful a couple of times with a quick back hand deke and shot. He won us at least one game with that move.
it was the backhand, but he always went 5 hole

...i don't get carbo's fascination with using him that early, the one (and i believe only) time he did score, it was like the 11th round, and that point the goalie was probably like whatever, just score already...

Old
10-16-2008, 10:03 AM
laubelroc

chipchura

he did not look very happy last night carbs new whipping boy this year.

Old
10-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Boulette Cannon

Great thread.

Old
10-16-2008, 10:06 AM
CH4

Where was his tie during the presentation?

the only one without it

at least there is positives, we found him!

Old
10-16-2008, 10:08 AM
la25ecoupe

Why can't the NHL hire better refs?

Btw, how are the ref defined in each game? Is it random?

Old
10-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by laubelroc View Post
he did not look very happy last night carbs new whipping boy this year.

The guy looked really sad... Not happy at all...

Just trade him Gainey while he still has some value...

Last edited by Erika: 10-16-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old
10-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Riverboat Gambler

maybe he doesn't wear ties because they're just a western thing

Old
10-16-2008, 10:12 AM
goldglove

have you seen higgins ? this is not a happy guy.

Old
10-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMario View Post
On that particular play, yesterday, did Dennis Wideman, who probably KNEW he was about to get plastered, tried to protect himself ? No, he turned his back, like a stupid Bantam kid that want to have his neck broken. I'm very happy with A.Kost bringing a physical dimension in his game, Dennis Wideman can't turn his back like that all season long, he'll end up in an hospital like Bergie. Imagine if it was actually our hardest hitter (Laraque or Komisarek) that was coming like a train... The guy maybe wouldn't have came back home on his legs... And the call was 'boarding', I've seen way worse checks than this one that weren't penalized.
I agree, if you just look at the hit on Komisarek when he was 3ft from the board against philly and that hit against Wideman, tell me which one deserves a boarding penality. In the first case the player was coming full stride in one direction and hit there was no way for Komi to see him coming, these type of hit are attempts to injure a player and deserve to be looked at. On the other end A.Kost did not run Widemand through the boards, Wideman at plenty of time to protect him self but continue to face the boards not to get hit, this is just plain stupid and the call on Kost was just as dumb IMO.

Old
10-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:

After the game Laraquelé said that it's because Thornton attacked Bégin last pre-season game, and to get that out as soon as possible Thornton went to Laraque immediatly and asked him for a fight.

Old
10-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Iwishihadacup

Is it me or the refs tried to hand the Goons the game?

Closed Thread