HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Habs win in Shootout...4-3 over the Bruins

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2008, 01:30 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Koivu's line is the one that has gathered the most points since the beginning of the season. This line is clicking really well, creating good opportunities every game.
Higgins will come back to play on Lang's line with S.Kost.

Tanguay is not frustrated at all. You think players are supposed to score after every nice pass they receive?..This is not pee-wee house league hockey buddy..

He's on a line that's working pretty well so far, he has nothing to be pissed about.
Your right, he is not fustrated at all. You can see his attitude on the ice, he is totally relieved to be playing here. His forecheck is unbelievable, I have seen a dozen plays where he has caused turnovers on the forecheck. After the game he couldn't stop smiling and talking about how great of a experience it was to be a part of this team. Fustration is the last thing on Alex's mind.

Old
10-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Turboflex*

First off, the whole "habs collapse" or "bruins comeback" thing is overblown. The refs gave the bruins a juicy 5 on 3 and they scored, not much you can about that. Conveniently right after that the refs put away their whistles and the Bruins get away with the same hooks and holds all period long that Komi and Andrei got called on. The next goal, with 40 seconds left was a pure gift fromt he hockey gods, can't say much about that. From a hockey perspective there wasn't much the habs could do to prevent those goals.

It's true the habs didn't play their best period in the 3rd, but also I don't see the Bruins given much credit for stepping up. They got back tot heir system of slowing the pace of the game and using their big bodies (especially D) more effectively to jam the middle and disrupt the habs' passing. The same team defensive game they used so effectively against the habs in the playoffs last spring.

About Latendresse/Higgins. I like Latendresse' a lot, and he's put some points up with Tangs/Koivu, but I don't see him adding much to the cerebral play of that line. Higgins is a finisher too, but the difference is his extra experience in the league, and a lot of time played on Koivu's wing. He has better NHL timing to keep up with (and participate in) the Tangs/Koivu passing game, and better all around game to make the line more effective in it's own end/neutral zone. Latendresse is great in the opposition zone, but mediocre in other aspects of play. I'd liek to see Higgins back with Koivu and see what they're capable of, It could be a REALLy dominant line all over the ice, with a strong east/west game when needed.

It's hardly a demotion for Latendresse to be with Sergei and Lang, two good players with tons of offensive ability, and I think he might be more comfortable with them even, playing a more straightforward meat and potatoes style game.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that Higgins has more upside with Koivu/Tanguay than Latendresse does at this point in time while both will be equally effective with Sergei and Lang.

Old
10-16-2008, 01:41 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
First off, the whole "habs collapse" or "bruins comeback" thing is overblown. The refs gave the bruins a juicy 5 on 3 and they scored, not much you can about that. Conveniently right after that the refs put away their whistles and the Bruins get away with the same hooks and holds all period long that Komi and Andrei got called on. The next goal, with 40 seconds left was a pure gift fromt he hockey gods, can't say much about that. From a hockey perspective there wasn't much the habs could do to prevent those goals.

It's true the habs didn't play their best period in the 3rd, but also I don't see the Bruins given much credit for stepping up. They got back tot heir system of slowing the pace of the game and using their big bodies (especially D) more effectively to jam the middle and disrupt the habs' passing. The same team defensive game they used so effectively against the habs in the playoffs last spring.

About Latendresse/Higgins. I like Latendresse' a lot, and he's put some points up with Tangs/Koivu, but I don't see him adding much to the cerebral play of that line. Higgins is a finisher too, but the difference is his extra experience in the league, and a lot of time played on Koivu's wing. He has better NHL timing to keep up with (and participate in) the Tangs/Koivu passing game, and better all around game to make the line more effective in it's own end/neutral zone. Latendresse is great in the opposition zone, but mediocre in other aspects of play. I'd liek to see Higgins back with Koivu and see what they're capable of, It could be a REALLy dominant line all over the ice, with a strong east/west game when needed.

It's hardly a demotion for Latendresse to be with Sergei and Lang, two good players with tons of offensive ability, and I think he might be more comfortable with them even, playing a more straightforward meat and potatoes style game.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that Higgins has more upside with Koivu/Tanguay than Latendresse does at this point in time while both will be equally effective with Sergei and Lang.
Great post I agree with everything.

Old
10-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Great post I agree with everything.
+++++1

Old
10-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Does anyone recall hearing a goal song last night? I honestly can't remember hearing one...

Old
10-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Not sure if it was just me, but it seemed like there was an unusually large amount of facewashing going on after the Habs won. I know it has become tradition, and maybe I just don't usually notice/see it, but it seemed like everyone facewashed each other before leaving the ice last night. Looked like the boys were having fun

Old
10-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Pretty much. Lucky we got the win in SO.

As for the whole Tenderness stuff, he has been playing better but in the end, as mentioned, it has to do a lot with Koivu. Guillaume still has rock hands most of the time and missed a couple of nice set-ups that Higgins would have likely scored on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
YIKES! I'm glad we didn't loose or you'd be pissed.
This city is crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
it was the backhand, but he always went 5 hole

...i don't get carbo's fascination with using him that early, the one (and i believe only) time he did score, it was like the 11th round, and that point the goalie was probably like whatever, just score already...
He scored against detroit in preseason too... perhaps carbo felt he had a good game/good start to the season and felt he was a hot hand.... He didn't miss by that much. I mean can you really blame him for trying five hole on Tim Thomas??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Why fix what's not broken, Higgins will play well with Lang and Kost

Lats is playing well with Tangs and Koivu
Exactly... its not a demotion for Higgins.... Why break up a line that has scored in each of the last three games.... they are putting points on the board and creating good chances. Higgins can add one more offensive option on the Lang line. He's played with Sergei before... it should be a good line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKiwi View Post
It's weird but I kinda hope it's an injury...
You are hoping for a Koivu injury

Old
10-16-2008, 02:04 PM
BadKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

This city is crazy

He scored against detroit in preseason too... perhaps carbo felt he had a good game/good start to the season and felt he was a hot hand.... He didn't miss by that much. I mean can you really blame him for trying five hole on Tim Thomas??

Exactly... its not a demotion for Higgins.... Why break up a line that has scored in each of the last three games.... they are putting points on the board and creating good chances. Higgins can add one more offensive option on the Lang line. He's played with Sergei before... it should be a good line.

You are hoping for a Koivu injury

Dude, Koivu is my all time favorite player, there is no way I hope he gets injured. It's just that I prefered an injury to a trade or problems with the coach. Can I stay or I still have to get the **** out?

Old
10-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKiwi View Post
Dude, Koivu is my all time favorite player, there is no way I hope he gets injured. It's just that I prefered an injury to a trade or problems with the coach. Can I stay or I still have to get the **** out?
lol...I would recommend going back to your original post and adding the part that I bolded.

10-16-2008, 02:13 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
still no info, but it's continuing into practice...

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/261723.html

Quote:
absent lors de l'entraînement de jeudi puisqu'il profite d'une journée pour subir des traitements.
Quote:
Par mesure préventive, Koivu n'a pas été envoyé dans la mêlée mercredi durant la prolongation.

think it's pretty clear, did you read the link you posted ?

Old
10-16-2008, 02:31 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
I wouldn't read too much into who looked 'sad' and who didn't. These guys want to be playing, they should all look sad. That said, I'd probably look uncomfortable with the spotlight & 20,000 stares directed at me while I'm just standing there & it could be misconstrued as 'sadness'.
One way to avoid this is to dress everyone for the opening ceremony (unless, of course the injured players cannot really skate 100 feet...). Sometimes they are dressing extra players for the warmup, so why not for this once in a season official presentation on home ice ?

Being dressed - injured or scratched- in a suit must me a shame for those players

Old
10-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
think it's pretty clear, did you read the link you posted ?

You have to love sites that update their articles and don't time stamp their changes...

Old
10-16-2008, 02:59 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Never saw a player being as hated as Lats... Incredible...

Seriously... The kid is #12 in the league for scoring... I know it's only been a few games, but come on. We have one of the hottest lines in the league and we should dismantle it?

No f-ing way...

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-16-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old
10-16-2008, 03:05 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I was at the game and Lucic wouldn’t even LOOK at Laraque. Everyone was chanting “Lucy! Lucy!” and egging him on to go with BGL.

waffledave
Old
10-16-2008, 03:06 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Ribeiro was even more.

Don't worry about Lats. Someday, those haters will lick his feet.

Old
10-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Turbo

Quote:
It is sort of funny. For sure it's some sort of backlash directed at the media hype of a few years back. The idea that because some have overhyped his abilities, others must now undervalue him in an attempt to balance out the universe. Unfortunate, but there seems to be so many examples of this with fans of the team.

The kid is starting off the year really well. He's creating things, getting himself in positions to get chances to score, and he's racked up 4 points in 4 games. Credit where credit is due, with the understanding that this is still a player in development that will make mistakes and have off nights. But based on the few games so far, I'd have no problem projecting that he'll have his best season yet.

Old
10-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
It is sort of funny. For sure it's some sort of backlash directed at the media hype of a few years back. The idea that because some have overhyped his abilities, others must now undervalue him in an attempt to balance out the universe. Unfortunate, but there seems to be so many examples of this with fans of the team.

The kid is starting off the year really well. He's creating things, getting himself in positions to get chances to score, and he's racked up 4 points in 4 games. Credit where credit is due, with the understanding that this is still a player in development that will make mistakes and have off nights. But based on the few games so far, I'd have no problem projecting that he'll have his best season yet.
5 points in 4 games.

Old
10-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Turbo

Quote:
5 points in 4 games.
Even better - I stand corrected.

Old
10-16-2008, 03:15 PM
AD

Quote:
Even better - I stand corrected.
Turbo

Your anti-Latendresse bias was showing!!.. I mean.. what does a kid have to do to get some respect.

Turbo

Old
10-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1651
Quote:
5 points in 4 games.
thats because he got 3 against the Leafs. If not for that he only has 2 in 4 games which is not good.

Old
10-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Turbo

Your anti-Latendresse bias was showing!!.. I mean.. what does a kid have to do to get some respect.

Turbo

Me

Old
10-16-2008, 04:02 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:

Seriously... The kid is #12 in the league for scoring... I know it's only been a few games, but come on. We have one of the hottest lines in the league and we should dismantle it?

No f-ing way...
Who's hating? People get so sensitive both ways when talking about Lats. Their line is hot I agree but I don't think Higgins should lose his spot due to injury either. If they don't work put Lats back, or play them on the #2 PP unit. It's not like Gui will get less icetime, the Lang line will play as much as the Koivu line.

I guess the attraction for me with Higgins on the Koivu line is 3 speedy shifty players controlling the play, similar to the 1st line. I believe Gui will actually bring more to the table as a finisher on Langs wing with SKost improving our overall team, but that's just me.

Old
10-16-2008, 04:15 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Who's hating? People get so sensitive both ways when talking about Lats. Their line is hot I agree but I don't think Higgins should lose his spot due to injury either. If they don't work put Lats back, or play them on the #2 PP unit. It's not like Gui will get less icetime, the Lang line will play as much as the Koivu line.

I guess the attraction for me with Higgins on the Koivu line is 3 speedy shifty players controlling the play, similar to the 1st line. I believe Gui will actually bring more to the table as a finisher on Langs wing with SKost improving our overall team, but that's just me.
Guillaume is now bringing size and a physical dimension, very useful for Tanguay and Koivu. He gives them a lot of space with the way he's playing this year. With Lang, this line would have two players who are not really known for their speed.

Higgins would bring the defensive aspect on the Lang line... Kostopoulos is doing it nicely right now, but we need a defensive player on this line...

Teufelsdreck : You could have answered/argued here instead of starting a pointless thread in order to ridiculize other members...

I hope you feel cool now...

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-16-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old
10-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Teufelsdreck : You could have answered/argued here instead of starting a pointless thread in order to ridiculize other members...

I hope you feel cool now...
I'd say you should have addressed your rant to me as a private message if that's the way you feel, because you haven't added content. As for my "pointless" thread, it drew quite a few responses.

By the way, the word you're looking for is ridicule.

Old
10-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I really like Latendresse on the Tanguay-Koivu line. I think he's been playing his best hockey since he came into the league. Yeah, he's missed a few chances but he's created a lot of passes that both Tanguay and Koivu missed as well. It's a matter of getting used to each other and I honestly think he's been a better offensive linemate than Higgins(whom I think is one of the very, very good LW in the NE division).

What's really impressed me with Latendresse on that line is his vision and passes have been almost as good as the other. Combine that with his goal scoring hands and his size and I think that if he can continue playing like this consistently, then he'll be very productive.

I'll say though that I trust in what Carbo will decide. If he thinks that Higgins would be better suited on the second line than I wouldn't mind it either. But I do believe Latendresse should stay there if he keeps playing like this.

Closed Thread