HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Real Cloutier...

Old
10-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Reider

vCash: 500
Real Cloutier...

With Fabian Brunnstrom scoring a hatty in his first ever NHL game, I did some reading on Real Cloutier. He was before my time, and to be quite honest, I had never heard of him until today. So I figured I could use the ultimate hockey information resource that is the collective intelligence of HF, to further my hockey history education.

From what I have read he seems like quite the enigmatic figure, and put up some pretty impressive numbers (97 points in 67 games), only to retire at the age of 28, widely considered to be the prime age for an NHL hockey player.
I was just curious, if anyone had seen him play? what kind of player was he? Were his point totals inflated because of linemates (Stastny's maybe?)? and was he a potential HOF player if he remained in the game?

Reider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 11:30 AM
ushvinder

I think he would have done well if he played in the nhl during his wha days. Guys like him and Jason Allison are kinda hard to rank, I mean Jason Allison was injury prone, but when he was there he was clearly affective.

ushvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 02:28 PM
brianscot

Cloutier scored 42 NHL goals the year before Peter Stastny arrived, so the skills were
over the top obvious.

I don't think he ever really played much with Stastny anyways. Cloutier was injured mostly during Peter's rookie year and then Marian Stastny came over to play right wing with Anton and Peter.

Being traded to Buffalo seemed like an awful fit for him. The Nords were basically a fast break team and Buffalo were much more close checking.

The conversations between Cloutier and Bowman must have been a joy.

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Al Bundy*

He was a beast in the WHA.

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Dennis Bonvie

What I remember of him in the WHA was that he was a really skinny kid who could really fly and had a big shot.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 07:20 PM
greatgazoo

What's really amazing in retrospect is that the Nords traded their 1980 1st round pick to Chicago in order to keep the Hawks from claiming him in the 1979 WHA/NHL merger.

That 1st round pick turned out to be Denis Savard but could have been Paul Coffey or Larry Murphy who were also chosen in the top 10 in 1980.

greatgazoo is offline   Reply With Quote