HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings Cap Tracker - 2008-09 & 2009-10

Old
08-28-2008, 10:04 PM
jacK

vCash: 500
what's with the flood of colored fonts all of a sudden?

purple? meh...
eye-straining green? double meh...

come on people, do us a favor by getting noticed with intelligent and/or witty banter, not crazy fonts and colors.

on a related and unrelated note, i can't wait til Cheli, Q, and DMac sign (and Lilly's traded ) so i can complete this tracker.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 10:06 PM
jacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
OT but I can't believe how big of a mess the Sundin situation is. It's starting to look like he's going to try to rent himself out to whoever the best contender is that will take him in December.
i wondered how long it'd take for Clemens fever to [dis]grace our fair sport.
Teemu & Nieds kick things off, and Sundin's taking the baton. what a joke.

Old
08-30-2008, 06:44 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

My patients runs out! When starts training camp? Looking forward to making the GDT’s again

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quincey at 500k per year. http://nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=27139
Chelios at 750k per year. http://nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=939

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Ah ha! Wasn't the reported number last week $850K? The base probably could have been even less if bonuses didn't have to count.

Old
09-10-2008, 04:11 PM
jacK

Khan's got Q averaging $525k (must be $550k next year since NHLPA's got him at $500k this year), so my update from this morning should have things as they stand.
if i miscalculated, or if Khan's wrong, let me know and i'll make the change(s).

Old
10-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Any updates, nerds?

Old
10-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Irish Blues

1. You have about $238,000 in cap space - which includes Chelios being on LTIR.
2. We actuaries are not nerds, we're ............ oh, never mind - we're nerds.

10-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Thanks IB2d2

Old
10-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Irish Blues

I prefer IB3PO, except I'm barely fluent in one language.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 06:58 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
I prefer IB3PO, except I'm barely fluent in one language.
But you're still golden

Besides, I think capology and cba legalese are individual languages.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 04:31 PM
jacK

don't want this to get to 3 months of inactivity and expire/lock, but i've also added a projected lineup for next year.

it seems no matter what thread pops up (Holland/Z's agent meet, possibility of losing Huds, the great Q debate, etc..) the subject of our ability to retain certain key players at certain salaries also pops up. so, all the info we need is here, i'd like to see/hear some speculation on how our 09-10 roster could/should take shape.
we've got $15ish mil to spend, and 5-7 spots to fill by re-signing, promoting, or signing UFAs (list: here)

put on your 'Ken Holland' hats and try to fill in the roster with total estimated cap hits (take your best guess as to what Hank, Mule, Huds, etc.. will sign for) around $57million.

my cable's out, so i'll start here in a few minutes unless someone beats me to the punch.

Old
12-26-2008, 06:45 PM
jacK

here's what i came up with:
re-sign Hank, $7.25mil avg; more than fair, under the Lidstrom cap
re-sign Mule, $3.5mil avg; if he wants more, especially considering the cap uncertainty beyond next year, let him go and start to totally re-tinker and try to fit Hossa in - he's worth cap hell, Franzen not so much
re-sign Leino, $1mil avg; slight raise, kind of like the Hudler of the past couple of years
re-sign Huds, $2.75mil avg; probably less than market value, but if he wants to break the bank, he can run away with Lazy Bob and live in his basement in Montreal
re-sign Kopecky (or UFA equivalent), $.5k avg; seems like a dime-a-dozen guy, but has shown brief flashes to indicate otherwise
promote Helm, $.6k avg; needs to be with the big club, would like to replace Malts and Drapes at the same time, but i don't see that happening
promote Big Rig, $.9k avg; also needs to be with the big club, slight savings over Lilly, with much higher upside
promote Howie, $.72k avg; costs the same as your run of the mill vet backup, and would get a chance to show if he's capable of shouldering the load if/when Ozzie struggles - dump him if he fails
trade Lilly, lose DMac, lose Cheli, maybe lose Malts (retirement if/when we win the cup )/keep Meech for a little more space

grand total: $56,699,441

Hank - Dats - Homer (7.25+6.7+2.25) 16.2
Mule - Flip - Cleary (3.5+3+2.8) 9.3
Leino - Helm - Huds (1+.599444+2.75) 4.349444
Malts - Drapes - Kopecky/UFA (.883333+1.583333+.5) 2.966663

Liddy - Raffy (7.45+6) 13.45
Kronner - Stuy (3+3.75) 6.75
Big Rig - Lebda (.9+.65) 1.55

Ozzie (1.416667)
Howie (.716667)

Old
01-27-2009, 11:37 PM
jacK

updated w/ Hank's rumored $6mil hit.

leaves $9,483,334 available for 2009-10 atm.
assume Howie, Rig, and Helm will make the jump and we're left with $7,267,223 in fun money (except that will be in the offseason, when we can go 10% over and cut/trade/waive to be compliant by day 1 of the 09-10 season.)

Old
02-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Henkka

How much do we have actual capspace at the moment for the trade deadline?

Has the LTIR given some savings for us or how does these things go?

I'm really confused about this.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:45 PM
jacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
How much do we have actual capspace at the moment for the trade deadline?

Has the LTIR given some savings for us or how does these things go?

I'm really confused about this.
i'll try to help, but could likely add to your confusion (and mine )
according to IB's cap central, we've got about $688k in available space, which [i think?] would mean we could theoretically take on about $3.2mil in salary at the deadline.
however, [i think] when Stuy and Homer come back, and if Helm & Leino stay up, that $688k may slowly shrink as their salaries [minus McCarty when he's sent down] will put us over the daily allowance and push us toward $56.7 mil slightly faster.

i don't have the patience to do all the calculations, but we could probably take on $2.5-$3mil in salary on the 4th.

if someone who is way smarter than me on this stuff (which won't take much) knows otherwise, give a holler.

Old
04-11-2009, 02:37 PM
jacK

edited for 2009-10 with a preliminary number of $3.95 mil for the Mule's new deal.

[with Howie] we've got a little more than $3.2 million in tagging space. say the cap goes up a heavy mil or so, and we're looking at around $5mil to get Hoss, Huds, Kopy, and Leino done.

Old
04-12-2009, 03:14 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
edited for 2009-10 with a preliminary number of $3.95 mil for the Mule's new deal.

[with Howie] we've got a little more than $3.2 million in tagging space. say the cap goes up a heavy mil or so, and we're looking at around $5mil to get Hoss, Huds, Kopy, and Leino done.

I wish Red Wings traded Rafalski and Cleary (yeah I know about NTCs ). Both are overpaid. Rafalski could be easily replaced by Kronwall, and Cleary is nothing special, average 3rd liner. Plus we could still keep Chelios

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Osgood As It Gets
The Underdog

What could we get in return for these (Rafalski and Cleary) guys? Maybe a pick and prospect?

Osgood As It Gets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 09:34 AM
sarcastro

Ok, so I was playing around with RWC's salary cap calculator and it seems to me that if we can get Hossa signed for a 5 mil cap hit, then we are left with the following options:

Not Optional (These Must Happen In All Scenarios):
Sammy, Hudler, and Chelios walk, Lilja is dumped, demoted, or LTIR'd.

Scenario 1:
Filppula is traded for NHL minimum roster filler/non-NHL commodities
Leino, Abdelkader, and Howard all make the NHL roster
Meech is the 12th forward until someone gets hurt, at which point Ritola or other cheap filler can be called up.

Scenario 2:
Draper and Maltby are somehow eliminated from the cap
Leino, Abdelkader and Howard are all on the roster
Meech is the 11th forward
Wings only have 19 on the active roster to start the season (legal?)
If illegal, Abdelkader starts in GR and 2 NHL minimum players take his place until someone gets hurt

If we're not going to trade a big salary defenseman, then I don't see any other way to keep Hossa beyond these two. Unless we start talking about trading Homer, which I don't think would ever happen.

sarcastro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 10:52 PM
jacK

i'll be posting a 09/10 - 10/11 cap tracker when next year's cap information is available.

until then, i'll be putting as much effort into things around here as the Wings did in games 6-7. so... not much.

Old
06-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
i'll be posting a 09/10 - 10/11 cap tracker when next year's cap information is available.

until then, i'll be putting as much effort into things around here as the Wings did in games 6-7. so... not much.
Well, when you get the chart up and the cap number for 2009/10, we'll steer the roster talk to one thread. Everyone's all over the place at the moment. Emotions'll do that to people.

Old
06-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Scenario 2:
Draper and Maltby are somehow eliminated from the cap
Leino, Abdelkader and Howard are all on the roster
Meech is the 11th forward
Wings only have 19 on the active roster to start the season (legal?)
If illegal, Abdelkader starts in GR and 2 NHL minimum players take his place until someone gets hurt
-- Draper and Maltby: Draper counts against the cap no matter what, so to get him off the cap you need to find a taker for him. Maltby can be shipped off the NHL roster without any consequences [except that if you send him to Grand Rapids and then need him, he'd have to clear recall waivers].
-- Howard is signed as is to a small cap hit, expect him to be the backup goalie [especially since if he's shipped to Grand Rapids, he'd have to clear recall waivers in '09-10].
-- No, you can't have just 19 on the Active Roster. All teams must carry 20. That doesn't mean you have to dress all 20, though - as we saw at the end of the season with the Flames.
-- Remember, the bonus cushion is back in for '09-10; Abdelkader has $140,000 in bonuses so that buys a smidge of room.
-- Also know that if Lilja can't go to start '09-10, he probably goes on LTIR [assuming the Wings are wedged near the cap] and that buys breathing room with much of his $1.25 million cap hit being exempted. [No, it doesn't get ignored completely.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
If we're not going to trade a big salary defenseman, then I don't see any other way to keep Hossa beyond these two. Unless we start talking about trading Homer, which I don't think would ever happen.
Honestly, I coud see Holmstrom retiring. He looked old in the playoffs this year [maybe he was playing hurt - but he certainly wasn't as effective has he was in the regular season], he's 36 1/2, and while he's been effective in the regular season it's only been for about 55 games in each of the last 2 seasons.

Besides, the Wings could use his $2.25 million cap hit to re-sign guys like ... Hossa.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 01:49 PM
sarcastro

It would be a huge favor to the Wings if Homer did retire.

It would be even better if he could take Draper and/or Maltby with him.

We don't want to dump them because they're Wing legends, but we really can't afford to keep them around, either in cap space or in crappy on-ice performance.

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, Franzen, Cleary, Filppula, Leino, Helm, Abdelkader, Meech, Ritola, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, Ericsson, Lebda, Osgood, Howard

If Hossa has a $6 mil cap hit, you have about $1 mil left to tack on another forward, and if we have Meech play forward, we are clear. Faster and spunkier. Will never happen.

sarcastro is online now   Reply With Quote