HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Combos (Higgins to return on Lang line)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-13-2008, 10:17 AM
  #26
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
Yeah, its a good idea, but now lets see what would happen if everyone whould follow this..


toronto - habs game...

6-1 montreal in the 3th...


Cherry :

''Oh,1 Montreal is putting the Koivu, Lang and now the Plekanec line on the powerplay... oh... its terrible, its a no class act, they should have put the lapierre line.. for the rest of the game.. coaches remember that..''

So yeah.. it works for us.. but not for the morons..
Yeah... I heard that too. Carbo should have put Lapierre-Begin-Dandeneault-Georges-Halak for the whole 2 PP minutes because the other guys are TOO good and it would be disrespectful to let them play at 6-1.

What a moron

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 10:44 AM
  #27
anarmandaleb
 
anarmandaleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding in a blanket
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
Yeah, its a good idea, but now lets see what would happen if everyone whould follow this..


toronto - habs game...

6-1 montreal in the 3th...


Cherry :

''Oh,1 Montreal is putting the Koivu, Lang and now the Plekanec line on the powerplay... oh... its terrible, its a no class act, they should have put the lapierre line.. for the rest of the game.. coaches remember that..''

So yeah.. it works for us.. but not for the morons..
I guess he's forgetting about that whole goal differential thing, or that Lang and Tang are still working out how best to fit into their roles. Apparently a good game for Lang and a good two periods for Tang were enough, now they're set for the year.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 12:04 PM
  #28
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Lines

Hopefully we can get over the roles that each line is assigned. That was a wearisome theme on this board. Having a wave of lines to throw over the bench will be productive. None of the Habs players are exceedingly soft and may also receive less penalties as they are attempting to score rather than goon it up. Saying that, having Dustin Penner would be nice. We should also see Saku, Kovy, Lang rested on some nights. The 1980s oilers would throw out an offensive line against the other teams top lines and strive to outscore them. If the Habs play eg Saku, Higins, Plecs, Titts2 etc that can play two way on the PK or against the oppositions top line it will keep the other team from pressing excessively. Expect the short handed goals to increase.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 12:59 PM
  #29
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
So Guy Lafleur was right ?

Habs = 4 x 4 th line
Guy Lafleur opened a restaurant close to my place. He's always there if you want to go remind him about that.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:30 PM
  #30
Namso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
I guess he's forgetting about that whole goal differential thing, or that Lang and Tang are still working out how best to fit into their roles. Apparently a good game for Lang and a good two periods for Tang were enough, now they're set for the year.
to be fair, when was the last time goal differential ever mattered at the end of the season? I cant think of a single occasion.

Still I disagree with Cherry, but I doubt any coach in the league thinks about goal differential.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:48 PM
  #31
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
Cherry :

''Oh,1 Montreal is putting the Koivu, Lang and now the Plekanec line on the powerplay... oh... its terrible, its a no class act, they should have put the lapierre line.. for the rest of the game.. coaches remember that..''
Mr. Cherry is just going to have to realize that Montreal only has so many offensive scrubs. They don't HAVE enough grinders to fill two PP units with.

That, and Montreal's third PP unit passes the puck around like most teams' first units. Maybe that's what had him confused.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:48 PM
  #32
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
I guess he's forgetting about that whole goal differential thing, or that Lang and Tang are still working out how best to fit into their roles. Apparently a good game for Lang and a good two periods for Tang were enough, now they're set for the year.
Actually the only valid reasoning was to get the most ice time for the new powerplay units early in the season since they didnt get much time in preseason. You want them to be sharp early because they'll make the difference in many games.

Half way through the season there is no doubt in my mind that Carbo would have given some candy to guys who arent used to play on the PP.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:50 PM
  #33
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Actually the only valid reasoning was to get the most ice time for the new powerplay units early in the season since they didnt get much time in preseason. You want them to be sharp early because they'll make the difference in many games.

Half way through the season there is no doubt in my mind that Carbo would have given some candy to guys who arent used to play on the PP.
Also, the Pleks line barely got any PP time, the first unit was too busy scoring every time.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:52 PM
  #34
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Also, the Pleks line barely got any PP time, the first unit was too busy scoring every time.
I'm not even sure it was the "first unit" it just so happened that most times there was a penalty it was just after a shift by the Pleks line.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:53 PM
  #35
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
to be fair, when was the last time goal differential ever mattered at the end of the season? I cant think of a single occasion.

Still I disagree with Cherry, but I doubt any coach in the league thinks about goal differential.
I can only think of one and its a stretch at best...

In 95 the lockout shortened year and the first year the habs missed the playoffs in 25 years... we were 4 pts behind the sabres for the last playoff spot and only had 2 games left to play. However the sabres were basically clinched as even if we won our last two games and they lost their last two games it would mean that

Our points total would be even
Total wins would be even
Head to head would be even
And they were 26 goals ahead of us in that stat.

It didn't end up mattering anyway as we didn't win our final two games... but we knew before we played that we were out of the playoffs anyway based on GF/GA

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:41 PM
  #36
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
Yeah, its a good idea, but now lets see what would happen if everyone whould follow this..


toronto - habs game...

6-1 montreal in the 3th...


Cherry :

''Oh,1 Montreal is putting the Koivu, Lang and now the Plekanec line on the powerplay... oh... its terrible, its a no class act, they should have put the lapierre line.. for the rest of the game.. coaches remember that..''

So yeah.. it works for us.. but not for the morons..
Why doesn't he talk about Blake's celebration when he made it 5-1?..
Celebrating as if he scored a PO OT Goal.

What a moron this Blake. I used to feel bad for him but the more I pay attention to his game, the more I dislike him.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 07:25 PM
  #37
GT500x
Im OK where we're at
 
GT500x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: My comfort zone
Country: United States
Posts: 2,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
We all know we have three solid offensive lines, but we still tend to call them the first line, the second line ect. Let's be honest here, all first three lines are legitmately good offensive lines and any could be a variety of first or second lines on other teams. What really confuses me and others I'm sure, is when you say (just for example) Higgins will be playing on the Lang line, then someone replies that Higgins is not a third line player because he scored 29 goals last year. Or if someone like Lats was moved to the Plekanec line, people would be complaining that Lats is not a first line player. Another one is when someone simply says, "Plekanec is not a first line center". I think we should just abolish the whole 1st, 2nd and 3rd label and call each line by the centermen's name. For example, "the Plekanec line played well tonight"; or, "I really like the Lang line". So let the revolution begin, from now on our lines should only be called the Pleks line, Koivu line and the Lang line.

Who's with me?

How many threads are needed to talk about this?

No shut-down line, No 3rd line, 3 scoring lines

it's all the same


Last edited by GT500x: 10-14-2008 at 07:26 PM. Reason: forgot something
GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 07:47 PM
  #38
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
We all know we have three solid offensive lines, but we still tend to call them the first line, the second line ect. Let's be honest here, all first three lines are legitmately good offensive lines and any could be a variety of first or second lines on other teams. What really confuses me and others I'm sure, is when you say (just for example) Higgins will be playing on the Lang line, then someone replies that Higgins is not a third line player because he scored 29 goals last year. Or if someone like Lats was moved to the Plekanec line, people would be complaining that Lats is not a first line player. Another one is when someone simply says, "Plekanec is not a first line center". I think we should just abolish the whole 1st, 2nd and 3rd label and call each line by the centermen's name. For example, "the Plekanec line played well tonight"; or, "I really like the Lang line". So let the revolution begin, from now on our lines should only be called the Pleks line, Koivu line and the Lang line.

Who's with me?
You are right, our 3 first lines have the potential to outplay the opposition, create quality scoring chances and put the puck in the net.. But we still can debate which one is the most effective and the most dangerous for the other teams.. If Im not wrong, Carbo likes to play the Pleks' line against other teams' top line most of the time so we have to take it in consideration... Personally I think our best line and by a signifiant margin is the A.Kost Pleks Kovy line but Ive no preference between the Saks or Lang's line, they are both legitimate second line caliber.. In fact, we have a great first line, 2 solid second lines and a great fourth line..


Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 10-14-2008 at 07:58 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 07:55 PM
  #39
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Pleks line is the first line and then there's the rest.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:09 PM
  #40
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
How many threads are needed to talk about this?

No shut-down line, No 3rd line, 3 scoring lines

it's all the same
Way to miss the entire point of the thread.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:11 PM
  #41
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
We all know we have three solid offensive lines, but we still tend to call them the first line, the second line ect. Let's be honest here, all first three lines are legitmately good offensive lines and any could be a variety of first or second lines on other teams. What really confuses me and others I'm sure, is when you say (just for example) Higgins will be playing on the Lang line, then someone replies that Higgins is not a third line player because he scored 29 goals last year. Or if someone like Lats was moved to the Plekanec line, people would be complaining that Lats is not a first line player. Another one is when someone simply says, "Plekanec is not a first line center". I think we should just abolish the whole 1st, 2nd and 3rd label and call each line by the centermen's name. For example, "the Plekanec line played well tonight"; or, "I really like the Lang line". So let the revolution begin, from now on our lines should only be called the Pleks line, Koivu line and the Lang line.

Who's with me?
With you 100%.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 01:05 AM
  #42
King of Uniacke
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Need the lines numbered.

You need to have the lines numbered, and just b/c us fans that love the habs see it as 3 #1 lines the rest of the NHL does not. They see the lines numbered and match up that way. the best thing going for us it that it makes it hard or should be hard to shut down the offense. If one line goes cold there should be 2 more right behind it wanting more ice time. So like it was already said just enjoy it, b/c with injuries and salary cap we might not have this type of team again, go habs go!

King of Uniacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 10:18 AM
  #43
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,045
vCash: 500
What defines a "second line" ?

With all the talks about Lats and Higgins I started asking myself which line is the second line and which one is the third? And that came to deciding what defines a seond line, especially in the current Hab context. From my limited experience I came up with two criteria -

a - Ice time (with the PP ice time in second)
b - Offensive role vs shutdown role.

When you compare the TOI of Koivu + Tanguay vs Lang + Sergei - there are no major differences:

Koivu - 15:15
Tanguay - 16:31

Lang - 17:52
Sergei - 14:09

The main difference comes from Tanguay being used on PP or other situations as complement to other lines. Also, I guess Lang has been used more in Short handed situations (tops the offensive players there).

As PP time goes:

Koivu - 3:15
Tanguay - 5:05

Lang - 2:05
Sergei - 2:45

The difference is not that huge. Besides, Koivu and Tanguay have more time but Latendresse does not (neither does Kostopoulos) - so it's not the "line" that plays more on the PP but 2 members of the line.

Offensive wise:

Koivu - 1G 4A
Tanguay - 1G 3A

Lang - 2G 0A
Sergei - 2G 2A

It would be hard to say that either pair has a really better offensive production.

My point in all this is that using 2nd and 3rd line has no meaning in the current setup for the Habs. Especially using words like "promoted to 2nd" or "demoted to 3rd". We have:

1st line
2ndA line
2ndB line
4th line.

So, concerning Higgins and Lats, it's not important who is the better one (and therefore should play on the "higher" line) but more like who would fit better with the respective 2 line members.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 10:21 AM
  #44
Ra
satan is my homie
 
Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
With all the talks about Lats and Higgins I started asking myself which line is the second line and which one is the third? And that came to deciding what defines a seond line, especially in the current Hab context. From my limited experience I came up with two criteria -

a - Ice time (with the PP ice time in second)
b - Offensive role vs shutdown role.

When you compare the TOI of Koivu + Tanguay vs Lang + Sergei - there are no major differences:

Koivu - 15:15
Tanguay - 16:31

Lang - 17:52
Sergei - 14:09

The main difference comes from Tanguay being used on PP or other situations as complement to other lines. Also, I guess Lang has been used more in Short handed situations (tops the offensive players there).

As PP time goes:

Koivu - 3:15
Tanguay - 5:05

Lang - 2:05
Sergei - 2:45

The difference is not that huge. Besides, Koivu and Tanguay have more time but Latendresse does not (neither does Kostopoulos) - so it's not the "line" that plays more on the PP but 2 members of the line.

Offensive wise:

Koivu - 1G 4A
Tanguay - 1G 3A

Lang - 2G 0A
Sergei - 2G 2A

It would be hard to say that either pair has a really better offensive production.

My point in all this is that using 2nd and 3rd line has no meaning in the current setup for the Habs. Especially using words like "promoted to 2nd" or "demoted to 3rd". We have:

1st line
2ndA line
2ndB line
4th line.

So, concerning Higgins and Lats, it's not important who is the better one (and therefore should play on the "higher" line) but more like who would fit better with the respective 2 line members.
It's not the first

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 10:22 AM
  #45
Haddock
Registered User
 
Haddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moulinsart
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Sure you can talk about 1a,1b or 2a, 2b, but I think the line centered by Saku is either the first or the second one just because of who he is within this team.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 10:23 AM
  #46
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
There's no second line or third line, just lines with different roles. Carbo rolls all his lines. Having defined 1st, 2nd, 3rd lines is only important to fans.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 10:24 AM
  #47
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
With Tanguay and Koivu setting him up, Higgins is going to have a great year!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 11:11 AM
  #48
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,932
vCash: 500
Official: Chris Higgins back and on 3rd line

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/261795.html

Thank you Guy Carbonneau!

Latendresse gets to stay with the player he's most comftarble with AND his Québec pal mentor, and now we probably have the best 3rd line in the hole damn league

Higgins-Lang-S.Kost will be amazing againts the other team's best lines, all 3 are excellent 2-way players and all 3 can put it in, excellent news!

4th line will mostly be Kostopoulos-Lappierre-Laraque, Bégin was the spare and Dandenault practiced as the 8th defensmen, lol

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 11:12 AM
  #49
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,278
vCash: 500
Great news, I'm really looking forward to see how Higgins/Lang/Sergei perform together.

__________________
Don Cherry is right...you don't poke the bear..you walk right up to it and punch it in the mouth. - Grant McCagg
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 11:22 AM
  #50
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
What the ****? Why have been merged to this thread! It doesn't even make sence.

Mods
You have a complaint...PM me....I'll be glad to tell you and everyone else why I merged it.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.