HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Laraques In

Old
10-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Rocket Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
It's not pointless at all though, this is what BGL does, he takes their toughest guy and completely removes him from the game...I didn't hear or see much from Thornton for the rest of the game after that.
Didnít see the same game, Thornton and the B's threw the body around in the third while Big G was replaced by Kovy and Sergei on the third line.

To be fair it was Big Gís first game, I think he should have waited a while and put a few more practices under his belt. His skating was awful.

Rocket Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:07 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
if you think RDS is homerism, NESN is a ton worse.

At worse the fight was a draw but there's no way Thornton won, he barely hit Laraque.
Edwards sucks.

NESN hockey blows as they seem to have gotten rid of most of there good (and i use that term loosely) play by play and on ice guys.

RDS is worse beleive it or not on homerism.

Brickley on the other hand is great.

the fight if anything was a draw.

But i suppose some unbiased and non-homer hab fans wants to give it Laraque for noogies to the back of the head.....

should help to light a fire under the rivalry the might actually draw some recognition back from the rest of the league finally.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:10 PM
mcphee

Anyone hear Laraque's comments ? He said he'd never comment on a fight. It isn't easy and if someone answers the bell, it's a matter of respect to leave it alone afterwards. He just said simply that he felt he had to fight Thornton because he had gone after Begin, nothing more or less. He also said that dropping the gloves just for the hell of it isn't his game and he usually fights to serve a purpose.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Rushin Joo

Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
Edwards sucks.

NESN hockey blows as they seem to have gotten rid of most of there good (and i use that term loosely) play by play and on ice guys.

But i suppose some unbiased and non-homer hab fans wants to give it Laraque for noogies to the back of the head.....

should help to light a fire under the rivalry the might actually draw some recognition back from the rest of the league finally.
Wrong and wrong.

Houde is one of the most objective commentators out there.

Slight edge to Laraque on the fight due to more punches landed. Most to the back of the head, but a punch is a punch. Not to mention Laraque looked totally in control after his slip.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-16-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 06:59 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Apparently Julien told Lucic not to fight Laraque. Can't say I blame him.
Must be true because whenever he and bgl were on the ice he snuck around like a scared kid in the schoolyard trying to hide from the big bad bully.Maybe Lucic will grow some during his lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
Edwards sucks.

Ya a draw. Taking numorous hits to the back of his head while he was hanging on for dear life would be considered a draw by the Bruin,s fans.Lord they didn't even get a moral victory last night.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-16-2008 at 07:19 PM.
mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 07:12 PM
mcphee

Laraque gets in a fight, he goes down, gets up, lands some, takes some, no clear advantage to anyone, but he did what he felt he had to do. Aside from that, he skated out his shifts trying to get the kinks out.

So, once the obvious has past, why does either side need to paint some non-existent drama ? Lucic has a set, any fan with any brain activity whatsoever knows this, I expect you do.

I also read how those guys are comparing Komi to old Ulfie . Who cares ? I can't decide which is dumber. I know fans like to one up each other but does anyone believe this stuff ?

My Dad's tougher than your Dad.

Old
10-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Apparently Julien told Lucic not to fight Laraque. Can't say I blame him.
I'd love to see a link for this..... really i would... if only to prove to the Bruins fans that a coach can tell a player not to fight someone.

Apparently they don't believe that Carbo has told Komi not to fight Lucic.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Carbo N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Laraque gets in a fight, he goes down, gets up, lands some, takes some, no clear advantage to anyone, but he did what he felt he had to do. Aside from that, he skated out his shifts trying to get the kinks out.

So, once the obvious has past, why does either side need to paint some non-existent drama ? Lucic has a set, any fan with any brain activity whatsoever knows this, I expect you do.

I also read how those guys are comparing Komi to old Ulfie . Who cares ? I can't decide which is dumber. I know fans like to one up each other but does anyone believe this stuff ?

These 'keyboard warriors' want us to believe that a player who is willing to drop down to block pucks being shot at close to 100 mph several times a night is a coward. Very clever.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Corey

Ulf Samuelsson won Cups with a couple of teams. The only cups these Bruins have are the tiny ones they wear to protect their family jewels.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:

Not that I want to substantiate the Komi = Samuelsson thing... but a lot of folks thought (and still think) he was quite the defenseman.

Just a good, and in many facets tough defenseman that at times crossed the line to get the job done with disasterous results... then failed to answer the bell when called upon to do so.

Bruins fans see a resembalance right or wrong (personally I don't think Komisarek has crossed the line anywhere near to that extent). I will say that like the majority I find it maddening he doesn't answer the bell... but to each their own. I'm happy to watch Lucic and Komisarek hit the living crap out of each other as long as its kept clean.

I think on a defense wise level , as much as I hate him, you could do worse then to be compared to Ulf Samuelsson.

As for the Lucic Laraque thing... I think if anything Julien doesn't want Lucic to go with him because as of yet, Lucics just an inexperienced 20 year old that hasn't engaged many legit Heavy's. Sending him out there and letting him fight one of the better fighters in the league makes little sense especially when you have a guy like Shawn Thornton around to do the useless scrapper on scrapper fighting thing.

So on Juliens part, I think he's just looking out for Lucics well being right now. I have no doubt Carbo wants to do the same for Komisarek. I would be surprised if Julien keeps Looch on a leash all year however...whether its personal pride that eventually causes the scrap, or Julien lets the kid test himself, I think we'll see at least one Lucic/Laraque tilt this season.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 07:52 AM
mcphee

K., I don't know who fights for what reason and who doesn't for what reason. I don't know which coaches instruct players not to, and frankly, telling the truth isn't something coaches feel the nedd to do. They'll say what suits them, pretty well all of them so you have to use your own bs detector.

As to players involved, I doubt Lucic ducks anyone, I think that he gets carried away with proving his pugilistic worth and gets reigned in at times. In the end, winning fights won't get him th erole he should be aiming for.

As to what Komi's advice from the staff is, no idea. If he's gleefully doing everything he can to rile the opposition, he's doing a good job. Why he doesn't fight, that's up to him and his coaches and I have no real idea, though bits and pieces from all the different posts seem to fit.

The overall conversation really isn't relevant to the game a whole lot. The ammount of time devoted to who should fight that I see on boards lowers the collective iq's quite a bit.

Tell me you didn't notice your gdt more devoted to who'd get who then the game itself. Then here, whether Laraque would wander the ice surface like a wrestler throwing bodies over the ropes.

Even worse, you'll soon be told to go back to your own board with some witty Ruins joke, while your equivalent looking to chat on yours will read some clever divers crack before being told the same.

Old
10-17-2008, 09:43 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo N8 View Post
These 'keyboard warriors' want us to believe that a player who is willing to drop down to block pucks being shot at close to 100 mph several times a night is a coward. Very clever.
A guy who blocked 227 shots last year is anything but a coward. To get a feel for the magnitude of that number, contrast it with the amount of shots that Chara blocked, Zdenoís total was 78.

Some have now taken to labeling Komisarek a "cheap-shot artist" i.e. complaints about low hits and cross-checks. Does it not occur to people who level such criticisms that a guy who laid out 266 hits last season is bound to miss on a few? The comments on stick work are so naive as to be completely and utterly laughable - every defenseman to play the game has cross-checked forwards.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
A guy who blocked 227 shots last year is anything but a coward. To get a feel for the magnitude of that number, contrast it with the amount of shots that Chara blocked, Zdeno’s total was 78.

Some have now taken to labeling Komisarek a "cheap-shot artist" i.e. complaints about low hits and cross-checks. Does it not occur to people who level such criticisms that a guy who laid out 266 hits last season is bound to miss on a few? The comments on stick work are so naive as to be completely and utterly laughable - every defenseman to play the game has cross-checked forwards.
Your logic makes sense to most rational people.... however there is a segment of their fanbase that is not logical and will not listen to reason when it comes to habs players in general and Komisarek specifically.

Its almost like those people who blindly proclaim the power of the pretzel despite the fact it has lead us to nothing better than a second round loss..... We keep trying to tell them about poutine.. but they just won't get on board.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 10:00 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
A guy who blocked 227 shots last year is anything but a coward. To get a feel for the magnitude of that number, contrast it with the amount of shots that Chara blocked, Zdenoís total was 78.

I think I'd much rather be punched in the face than have slapshots whizzed at me.

Funny, in a fight, I seemed unable to duck punches, but playing goalie, I wasn't good at getting in front of shots. That's why I didn't pursue boxing or goaltending as a career.

Old
10-17-2008, 10:00 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Your logic makes sense to most rational people.... however there is a segment of their fanbase that is not logical and will not listen to reason when it comes to habs players in general and Komisarek specifically.
I don't expect to convince anyone, in fact my post was primarily for Canadiens' fans consumption. Although if a Bruin fan would like to debate the topic, I'm more than happy to oblige.

Quote:
I think I'd much rather be punched in the face than have slapshots whizzed at me.

Funny, in a fight, I seemed unable to duck punches, but playing goalie, I wasn't good at getting in front of shots. That's why I didn't pursue boxing or goaltending as a career.
Tough call, it would depend on who was throwing the punch and who was taking the shot.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-17-2008 at 10:43 AM.
habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Just a good, and in many facets tough defenseman that at times crossed the line to get the job done with disasterous results... then failed to answer the bell when called upon to do so.
The problem with most Bruins fans (and I'm sorry but it's the majority...) is that they just don't understand that fighting is an art and that some tough people might not always master it. Lucic had the privilege in being bigger than everybody else and was able to beat the living crap out of everybody in a league that permitted it. Gain some confidence while doing it, gain some experience and got better. Komisarek wasn't able to do it. And while he understands that he is big and to stay in this league he has to hit and be tough, it's not in him to fight. At one point, people would need to accept this.

Blake Wheeler is big but still being portrayed as soft by most of your fans.....because he's big, does he now has to fight? Will he be good at it just 'cause he's big?

And then as far as answering the bell.....well I would love to have an answer to that one....why did we read a lot of "Lucic shouldn't go against that goon Laraque 'cause he's too important to our team versus that goon to the Habs" when we exactly tried to explain that last year by saying that Komi was more important to us than Lucic to you?

Bruins fans would need to start respecting the "goons" at one point and understand that it's an art to master. Then when they do that, they'll also realize that you also can be tough doing all those little things BUT fighting. I just love to read about the Kostys are considerd as being soft again because they don't fight (though they both have dropped them already, but strangely no Bruins fans mention it....), but then that softy Andrei was able to push back so easily that giant that is Chara resulting in a goal. But then while being a softy he's also portrayed as a cheap shot artist and a guy that keeps bodychecking people dangerously? Or is suddenly "soft" in a Bruins language ONLY means a player that doesn't fight?

Quote:
I would have agreed with you....until yesterday when I saw the facial that Bissonnette gave to Bradley.....

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-17-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
K., I don't know who fights for what reason and who doesn't for what reason. I don't know which coaches instruct players not to, and frankly, telling the truth isn't something coaches feel the nedd to do. They'll say what suits them, pretty well all of them so you have to use your own bs detector.

As to players involved, I doubt Lucic ducks anyone, I think that he gets carried away with proving his pugilistic worth and gets reigned in at times. In the end, winning fights won't get him th erole he should be aiming for.

As to what Komi's advice from the staff is, no idea. If he's gleefully doing everything he can to rile the opposition, he's doing a good job. Why he doesn't fight, that's up to him and his coaches and I have no real idea, though bits and pieces from all the different posts seem to fit.

The overall conversation really isn't relevant to the game a whole lot. The ammount of time devoted to who should fight that I see on boards lowers the collective iq's quite a bit.

Tell me you didn't notice your gdt more devoted to who'd get who then the game itself. Then here, whether Laraque would wander the ice surface like a wrestler throwing bodies over the ropes.

Even worse, you'll soon be told to go back to your own board with some witty Ruins joke, while your equivalent looking to chat on yours will read some clever divers crack before being told the same.
Agree with it all. I stayed away from the Bruins - Habs GDT's for that very reason... well that and I watched the game with my kids.

I will say, the hate on is a great thing to see once again, but there seems to be far far more chilidish responses happening on both sides. Perhaps this is from an influx of young fans, I don't know. Sure makes the mods jobs a living nightmare though I imagine

Old
10-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Agree with it all. I stayed away from the Bruins - Habs GDT's for that very reason... well that and I watched the game with my kids.

I will say, the hate on is a great thing to see once again, but there seems to be far far more chilidish responses happening on both sides. Perhaps this is from an influx of young fans, I don't know. Sure makes the mods jobs a living nightmare though I imagine
Being a long time Habs fan I agree. It is a great thing to see the rivalry/hate between our teams continue to grow.

As for making our jobs a living nightmare, lol..no comment.

10-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The problem with most Bruins fans (and I'm sorry but it's the majority...) is that they just don't understand that fighting is an art and that some tough people might not always master it. Lucic had the privilege in being bigger than everybody else and was able to beat the living crap out of everybody in a league that permitted it. Gain some confidence while doing it, gain some experience and got better. Komisarek wasn't able to do it. And while he understands that he is big and to stay in this league he has to hit and be tough, it's not in him to fight. At one point, people would need to accept this.

Blake Wheeler is big but still being portrayed as soft by most of your fans.....because he's big, does he now has to fight? Will he be good at it just 'cause he's big?

And then as far as answering the bell.....well I would love to have an answer to that one....why did we read a lot of "Lucic shouldn't go against that goon Laraque 'cause he's too important to our team versus that goon to the Habs" when we exactly tried to explain that last year by saying that Komi was more important to us than Lucic to you?

Bruins fans would need to start respecting the "goons" at one point and understand that it's an art to master. Then when they do that, they'll also realize that you also can be tough doing all those little things BUT fighting. I just love to read about the Kostys are considerd as being soft again because they don't fight (though they both have dropped them already, but strangely no Bruins fans mention it....), but then that softy Andrei was able to push back so easily that giant that is Chara resulting in a goal. But then while being a softy he's also portrayed as a cheap shot artist and a guy that keeps bodychecking people dangerously? Or is suddenly "soft" in a Bruins language ONLY means a player that doesn't fight?
You remember Hal Gill? Quality 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman, great on the PK, but because he had size and didn't use it to obliterate people he was far removed from a fan favorite. An asset to the team, yes, a player people wanted to keep around no.

And this is a debate that is never ending on our board, it is far removed from being the majority consesus. The majority of Bruins fans are more interested in winning then anything. The issue with the Komisarek and Lucic conversations has in my opinion been the intensity. Some Habs fans want to think Komisarek isn't afraid to fight Lucic, but as you have pointed out there is good reason for some trepidation. Some Bruins fans want to think Komi should drop the gloves whenever he's within 5 meters of Lucic, and that's just silly.

From a Bruins fan standpoint, the only time I expect Komi to answer the bell is when he does something to warrant such a response. The low bridge was something I think he should have had to respond for for instance. Other then that, I don't think he needs to fight when he delivers a check.

Old
10-17-2008, 10:49 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

You make some good points here WS. I think soft in B's speak mainly means those 2 guys that keep scoring on us. The hitting from behind things is becoming an issue in a couple of ways. Neither guy shies away from contact, they both look for open ice hits and both will finish the check by bouncing guys off the glass.

Both guys are often in that grey zone where they catch the guy a bit from the side, or as they've just turned. It's dangerous but I don't think either is looking to take a run at anyone from behind, but it happens. Too many players give their backs to the play now and I don't get why. I don't know if it's just a puck protection thing, if it's meant to avoid hits, or even draw penalties, but I think it's become a part of the problem. I'm not referring to Bergeron as obviously it was a different sequence, but guys used to angle their bodies around the boards.

Quote:
You remember Hal Gill? Quality 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman, great on the PK, but because he had size and didn't use it to obliterate people he was far removed from a fan favorite. An asset to the team, yes, a player people wanted to keep around no.

And this is a debate that is never ending on our board, it is far removed from being the majority consesus. The majority of Bruins fans are more interested in winning then anything. The issue with the Komisarek and Lucic conversations has in my opinion been the intensity. Some Habs fans want to think Komisarek isn't afraid to fight Lucic, but as you have pointed out there is good reason for some trepidation. Some Bruins fans want to think Komi should drop the gloves whenever he's within 5 meters of Lucic, and that's just silly.

From a Bruins fan standpoint, the only time I expect Komi to answer the bell is when he does something to warrant such a response. The low bridge was something I think he should have had to respond for for instance. Other then that, I don't think he needs to fight when he delivers a check.

Craig Luwig was probably a better d man, but had the same rep. as Gill. He rarely, if ever fought, and if he did it seemd that he was more at home throwing hay bales than haymakers. Now that I think about it, same path to the league as Komi,btw.

Ludwig would get heat for not being physical when in fact he could and would clear the crease and would battle.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-17-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old
10-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Riverboat Gambler

On the reoccuring side topic of Komisarek and Lucic.

I think Komisarek should fight Lucic. If he's going to talk to him every chance he gets and engage in match-ups where they'll both get coincidental misconducts, or take minor penalties against him then he may as well go with him.

And it's pretty obvious at some point this year, he will. Although Bruins fans seem to think Komisarek is yellow we all know he isn't. He's just mean and an instigator on the ice. Of the guys picked out that posters are using to justify why Komisarek hasn't fought Lucic, he's meaner than all them. There is no way in hell he's scared of Lucic. And when the opportuinty prevents itself in Komisarek's favour he'll take it.

Last edited by Riverboat Gambler: 10-17-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 12:20 PM
AH

Quote:

Could have fooled us, moral victory champs.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Could have fooled us, moral victory champs.
I have to laugh... we're you one of the ones who were so happy when BGL was signed? I know there were a lot of Habs fans pretty happy about getting a bit tougher.

There's nothing wrong with that, but making it out like winning those physical battles doesn't mean "anything" is just plain silly. Yes winning the game is what really matters, but no one wants to get walked over whether they win or lose.

Old
10-17-2008, 12:44 PM
mcphee

Quote:
I have to laugh... we're you one of the ones who were so happy when BGL was signed? I know there were a lot of Habs fans pretty happy about getting a bit tougher.

There's nothing wrong with that, but making it out like winning those physical battles doesn't mean "anything" is just plain silly. Yes winning the game is what really matters, but no one wants to get walked over whether they win or lose.
I think one of the points of contention is which physical battles ? In the last 10 games or so between the 2 teams, who has won more battles than Kovalev ? No one's gone into more traffic,battled for more pucks and taken more abuse to make a play than him.

I'd think that if Boston had dispatched Mtl quite often over the last year or so, and Laraque or whoever had won a lot of fights, a % of us would be focused on that, as you need something to use in an arguement. My point all along and I've argued it on your board is how toughness gets defined in hockey.

Old
10-17-2008, 12:47 PM
smack66

Quote:

oh yeah. well my Mom is tougher then your Mom

smack66 is offline   Reply With Quote