HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Jordan Staal: Draft bust already?

View Poll Results: Is Jordan Staal a draft bust?
Yes 31 6.74%
No 290 63.04%
No, but it was still a bad choice by Pittsburgh 139 30.22%
Voters: 460. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Why are pens fan so arrogant? I read the word "educate" many times at the end of posts, but honestly, educate "yourselves" a bit too it might help because the Pens play an all out attack style that has nothing to do with defense, it's just the opposing teams don't get the puck often to score on you. When you have the players you do the opposition can't touch the puck a lot hence the illusion of a defensive system. Therrien is a tool, he couldn't conceive a D system if he tried. And as for the topic itself, LOL. Bust my ass. But good try though, every once in a while some joker tries to spew his garbage in hope that people might believe him. Laughable.
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app?art...e&service=page

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Therrien IS a moron, believe what you like, really. Anyways, I took it to the other extreme by saying all out attack but its closer to an offense system than a defensive one so don't go bustin' my balls about it. Kessel would outscore Stall on your team.
You just chastised somebody else for stating an opinion as fact, and then you claim that Therrien IS a moron. Nice contradiction.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:49 AM
TheProspector

Stupid to even ponder this. Jordan Staal would be the #1 center *right now* on at least 10 NHL teams, would score 70-80pts a year, and is a war horse. Think Mats Sundin. The only reason there is any discussion at all is because of the retarded depth at centre in Pittsburgh.

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProspector View Post
Stupid to even ponder this. Jordan Staal would be the #1 center *right now* on at least 10 NHL teams, would score 70-80pts a year, and is a war horse. Think Mats Sundin. The only reason there is any discussion at all is because of the retarded depth at centre in Pittsburgh.
I wish the HF trade board had been around in 1999. Then we could have seen gems of polls like:

'____________' scored only 3 goals and 4 assists his rookie year. Then followed it up with 16 goals and 25 assists the next year. Bust?

What a wasted draft pick. We could have had Eric Brewer or Daniel Tkaczuk instead.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
51.3%. Mike Richards, that face-off demon, was 53.3%.

Zetterberg? 53.5%.

Sakic? 50.4%

Drury? 48.9%

And as always ignored in Staal discussions by his detractors, he's 19.
Thanks DD.

Sorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 01:52 PM
JWells16

Quote:
Why are pens fan so arrogant? I read the word "educate" many times at the end of posts, but honestly, educate "yourselves" a bit too it might help because the Pens play an all out attack style that has nothing to do with defense, it's just the opposing teams don't get the puck often to score on you. When you have the players you do the opposition can't touch the puck a lot hence the illusion of a defensive system. Therrien is a tool, he couldn't conceive a D system if he tried. And as for the topic itself, LOL. Bust my ass. But good try though, every once in a while some joker tries to spew his garbage in hope that people might believe him. Laughable.

Nice generalization.

Not really.

I don't like Therrien either, but you need to give him credit for at least getting the team to buy into the defensive system.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 01:53 PM
JWells16

Quote:
Therrien IS a moron, believe what you like, really. Anyways, I took it to the other extreme by saying all out attack but its closer to an offense system than a defensive one so don't go bustin' my balls about it. Kessel would outscore Stall on your team.
Probably because he would be playing on the first line with Crosby. I've always thought of Kessel as more of a winger.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16 View Post
Nice generalization.

Not really.

I don't like Therrien either, but you need to give him credit for at least getting the team to buy into the defensive system.
It is off topic, but yeah Therrien certainly has done a few things many said he never could do. He got the team to buy into a defensive system (and taught them that the offense does not need to suffer if you do so). He took the team to the finals when all we ever heard was he was not the coach to take a team to the finals. Finally he got a bunch of elite players who could have become prima donnas and run the team to play like a team. We have seen quite a few coaches thrown under the proverbial bus here in Pittsburgh by players who wanted to dicatate how they would play when we had a team this talented before. Therrien did luck into players who buy into the team and win first concept to begin with, but he still deserves credit. I am not sure he was overmatched in the finals as much as the Pens were too young and Detroit was just better. Swtich the coaches and does anyone believe that the Pens win that series?

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Swtich the coaches and does anyone believe that the Pens win that series?
Sadly, a lot of people will think to themselves, "yes".

Sorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Boilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1025 View Post
i swear,

there should be a IQ test before any user can make a thread or post.
THIS is such an interesting idea, ironically from the guy who wrote this as an opening post:

Quote:
Oilers will go 82-0 with Garon getting 82 shut outs, winning vezina, jennings, hart, pearson. while Gagner will score 5 billion goals and Hemsky will score 5 billion and one to win the rocket and art...

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 06:53 PM
tony d
ATD 2015

No he isn't a bust but imagine that team with Jonathan Toews.

10-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Like someone said earlier in the thread he's a great fit for the current pens team.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:00 AM
ShippinItDaily

Send a message via MSN to ShippinItDaily
Option C

To be honest, I think Phil Kessel would look real nice on Crosby's right side right now. I just don't see any huge upside for Jordan Staal, although he will be a very good 2 way C who puts up 65-70 points in his prime I think.

ShippinItDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:06 AM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal Fear* View Post
Let's see who Pittsburgh could have taken instead:

Toews
Backstrom
Kessel
Brassard
Okposo
Mueller

Most teams would probably rather have ANY of these players except maybe Brassard. Staal is always going to be a third liner as long as he's in Pittsburgh, and even on other teams he's just barely good enough to be a 2nd liner. Just doesn't have the same offensive skills as the players taken before him. His rookie year he got lucky with a high shooting percentage and a lot of shorthanded chances. He will probably end up being a 45-50 point player in his prime, paling in comparison to the players taken after him, and hardly the numbers one would expect from a #2 overall pick. I think it's fair to say that Staal was both a draft bust AND a poor choice considering who went after him.
Backstrom, yeah because with Malkin and Crosby, we need another play making centerman? Mueller was converted to wing and it has been an ok transition so far, out of all of those guys, i like Okposo and Toews more so than the rest.

But Staal is not a bust, some guys just take longer and while he scored 29 his 1st year and struggled offensively his 2nd, he didn't disappear altogether his 2nd year. He developed into a fine defensive player for the Penguins and a top pk unit player. He was also moved back to center his 2nd year after playing wing for most of the rookie season.

So no, he isn't a bust. This thread should be closed.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 07:38 AM
Ronald Pagan

I see Staal turning into a Keith Primeau type player.

Whenever you can draft a player like that then it is never a bust.

As an aside, this thread is just more proof that this board (especially the poll section) is a friggin joke.

Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Ola

Not a draftbust.

But rushed into the league.

He didn't have time to build up a offensive platform before leaving juniors. Now that will be very tough for him. A big test.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 07:48 AM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyDangles View Post
Option C

To be honest, I think Phil Kessel would look real nice on Crosby's right side right now. I just don't see any huge upside for Jordan Staal, although he will be a very good 2 way C who puts up 65-70 points in his prime I think.
Trade proposal:

Bruins get: Ryan Whitney, draft pick

Penguins get: Phil Kessel, Andrew Alberts

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:16 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Id rather Backstrom, Toews, Okposo or Meuller.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Jericho

Looking through this thread, I'm suprised how many people are down on Staal. I'll grant you that Toews had a better rookie year and by the looks of things will have a better career. Can I assure you of that? No. But I can see why the opinion is out there. And no, I don't buy that Staal is a better fit for the Pens (it sound like an argument trying to rationalize a poor choice). Toews would be a great fit for the Pens and I'm sure one of Malkin, Crosby, or Toews could play the wing if needed (Malkin already has). But I don't get the negativity on Staal.

For one, he's basically the same age that Ovechkin was his rookie year. I don't say that to compare Staal to Ovechkin, but to emphasize how young Staal is. He's at the very end of his draft class age wise. And he's already potted 41 career goals, including 29 in a rookie season. No, I don't think his 29 goal performance was exactly repeatable. At least not on the skills he had two years ago. But he's done pretty well without getting much power play time in his career (at total of 13 points over two years entering this season). By comparison, Toews had 22 popwer play points just last year. Part of that is because Toews is better offensively. But part of it is due to role. I'm still very excited to see what Staal can do and how he goes from here. I'm not willing to write him off yet. If I was redrafting the 2006 draft today I wouldn't take him #2, but he's still pretty high on the list.

Jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 11:51 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Jordan Staal a bust?

Please, PLEASE tell me that this is a joke.

I won't even waste my time with this one.

Jordan Staal is being misused. He had a year in which he showed SOLID offensive ability, not unbelievable offensive ability that was to be added on year after year. That is what Sidney Crosby and Malkin are for. Jordan Staal is an extremely valuable two way player on a team loaded with offensive depth.

He is also a player that 29 other teams would love to have should he become available. Bank on that.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 11:54 PM
Filppula
Jurks

He is pretty dominant on the PK, for that alone he's not a bust. He obviously has offensive potential, 29 goals in your rookie year says so...

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Trends Analyst
Squirrel!

Hard to call the guy a bust, he is only 20 years old and has a 29 goal season as an 18 year old including 7 SHG.

That being said they could have picked Toews or Backstrom and thought of dealing them. I dont know this is why Im not a GM. Both those guys are centers as well right? Who was the best winger or D available? Kessel?

Trends Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Id rather Backstrom, Toews, Okposo or Meuller.
Me too. But Brassard hasn't had a shot at the NHL until now.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 12:33 AM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMosquito View Post
Hard to call the guy a bust, he is only 20 years old and has a 29 goal season as an 18 year old including 7 SHG.
it's been said 100 times already, newsflash this isnt his rookie season, time to move on.

It's like saying, yeah naslund is awesome he scored over 100p 5 years ago.

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 12:42 AM
MLHS Joe C

Jordan Staal just isn't a top 6 player. He has no hockey sense, and I'm not convinced he's great just because he almost got 30 goals on a front loaded team.

MLHS Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote