HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Valiquette be a starer?

Old
10-18-2008, 01:10 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
we couldnt ask for a better back up

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 01:47 AM
slim399

Of course he could be a 25-35 game goalie in this league. There is no reason he couldn't be doing what a hedberg, garon, johnson, mason, or labarera are doing in this league. Fact of the matter is he seems truly happy in new york playing his 12-15 games a season. Yes he is a steal making under a million dollars and he could get an offer of 1.5-2.0 next season if he continues playing well.

Valley has become the perfect back up goalie for us. I would have no problem with giving him a salary of 1.75 mill a year to keep doing what he is doing in the "Pre Cap Years" But if that extra million a season is the difference between bringing in a top flight wing and having Wiikman back up for under a million. I think we know the answer.

In the end I like this thread... Valley has been nothing but solid for this team. Any player that has him named cheered from the msg croud multiple times during a game is doing something very well!

slim399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 02:01 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim399 View Post
Any player that has him named cheered from the msg croud multiple times during a game is doing something very well!
"Weeeeeeeeekes"

it's not that impressive of a feat.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 02:15 AM
slim399

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
"Weeeeeeeeekes"

it's not that impressive of a feat.
Got me! hilarious!

Old
10-18-2008, 02:54 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

the rangers played very well in front of vally. he was strong, but he wasnt earth shattering. and this is from a guy who has been as big a vally supporter as anyone ever.

i still dont think he is good enough to be a starter, his lateral movement is quite poor, but when he gets square, he doesnt give shooters much to shoot at because of just how friggin huge he is. but get the moving east-west and he is dead in the water. teams playing north-south against vally will always have trouble, against a team that can really move the puck around all over the place in the offensive zone will really give the guy a ton of problems.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 03:05 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
the rangers played very well in front of vally. he was strong, but he wasnt earth shattering. and this is from a guy who has been as big a vally supporter as anyone ever.

i still dont think he is good enough to be a starter, his lateral movement is quite poor, but when he gets square, he doesnt give shooters much to shoot at because of just how friggin huge he is. but get the moving east-west and he is dead in the water. teams playing north-south against vally will always have trouble, against a team that can really move the puck around all over the place in the offensive zone will really give the guy a ton of problems.

As long as he plays his angles well that's not really a prolbem since he is so big it's like shooting the puck against a wall.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:25 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Well, we have Lundqvist, who's younger and better. But while Vally may not be a Vezina-contender, I feel he's a solid starter.

P.S. Sjo just scored a beautiful goal. He is another player who should play on the top 3 lines.

Put him with Callahan, I bet they'll be real good.

SSAAAAVE by Valiquette. And the Rangers win.

I looked at Lundy and Vally talking just now, both laughing and genuinely happy. It's nice how they help out each other, and glad for one another.

Vally is a good guy (as is Lundy) and I hope he makes his millions by starting somewhere.
Thats right he's not a vezina-candidate.

He's best-backup-vezina-candidate.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:54 AM
Pluckfur

No! Staring is rude. New Yorkers ...

(sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 05:20 AM
Chimp

I don't know about the TS question, I am however very impressed of his work and improvement over these years.

He and Allaire have done wonders with his game. He's improving steadily year after year, perfecting his technique. I would at least say he has become one of the top backups in the league.

The big question is however, how does he respond when his form goes down the drain? Every NHL goaltender can play like gods when they're on fire, but what are their lowest level and how often does it hit during a season? How many games can they bring their A game?

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 09:34 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i still dont think he is good enough to be a starter, his lateral movement is quite poor,
this is quite true - but Vally's strength is that he knows and works on his weaknessess. It's great having Vally here, and the main beneficiary is Henrik. For a top goalie to have someone like Vally around is the perfect situation. Just look at that situation Ottawa had last year with the pair of Gerber/Emery. When you have your goalies throwing daggers at each other, it hurts both. We have it good here.

On another note - I had some Leafs fans behind me at MSG last night saying "oh, we were hoping to see Lundqist". I couldn't resist telling them that they better get used to seeing a LOT of backup goalies this year.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Celestial Black

Could he be....yeah maybe...however, I would like to keep him our back-up here.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 05:17 PM
pzilla3

No, I feel he's best suited as a go to backup.

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 05:38 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Careful now, according to a Devils fan on their 'news around the league' thread, Vally is more skilled than Lundqvist.

Check it out, it's worth a read.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 05:48 PM
SC2008

he beat the leafs. lets not get carried away.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Balej20*

He looks good because he is in the correct role, a back up role. You can't ask for much more out of your Back-up goalie.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 06:22 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

All I have to say is:

Glen Healy

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Bullet Tooth Tony

There's a huge difference between performing well in spot duty and being the regular guy. That's a tough transition to make - though to Vally's credit, it ain't exactly diced tomatoes starting once every few weeks... takes a lot of mental preparation and toughness to just jump in and do a bang up job filling in for the starter. I've always thought pretty highly of the guys who could do this successfully, perhaps because I'm from Vancouver and have witnessed all kinds of backups over the years.

Like mentioned, perhaps on one of the weaker teams, and perhaps if he got hot. In a few years, if he keeps progressing, who knows? He's still pretty new to NHL duty, and look at guys like Roloson (ok, well, more like Roloson 2-3 years ago... ) and Thomas, who became starters later on in their careers. They worked and worked, waited for a good break and made the most of it. Who's to say Vally couldn't do something similiar?

Bullet Tooth Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 07:14 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

VALLY-VALLY-VALLY!!!

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Any team that has him as a starter will be fighting for the #1 overall pick. Sorry to say.
Not because of him. I think he'd put in respectable performances. Certainly as good as the goaltending that teams like LA and Tampa got last year.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim399 View Post
Valley has become the perfect back up goalie for us. I would have no problem with giving him a salary of 1.75 mill a year to keep doing what he is doing in the "Pre Cap Years" But if that extra million a season is the difference between bringing in a top flight wing and having Wiikman back up for under a million. I think we know the answer.
That's the same thing that was said about Weekes a couple years ago. He was the perfect backup, but we couldn't afford him, so we brought in a minor leaguer... aka Valiquette.

Old
10-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Your Dang Tyutin

Vali reminds me of Toskola. Just has to get outta New York to show his true skill. Sure, Toskola's no Roy, but the guy can clearly get the job done in net with the right team in front of him, same for Vali.

Your Dang Tyutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
Careful now, according to a Devils fan on their 'news around the league' thread, Vally is more skilled than Lundqvist.

Check it out, it's worth a read.
Dont you know. it goes.

1. Brodeur
2. Kevin Weekes
3. Mike Smith(Flavor of the month I guess)
4. Anyone with small pads
5. Valiquette
90. Anyone with Big pads besides Henke
91. Henke

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
All I have to say is:

Glen Healy
Glenn Healy could start too. First of, he was a starter on the Island, even though they had another solid goalie in Fitzgerald at the same time.

Every year teams were trying to trade for him. Several offered 3rd round picks, but Neil kept him after it became clear that Corey Hirsch couldn't play in the NHL.

If Hirsch had developed as expected, Healy would've been traded and I bet he'd start there just as he did on the Island.

Old
10-19-2008, 12:50 AM
slim399

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
All I have to say is:

Glen Healy
anyone remeber the game when the rangers were on road and they forgot to pack healy's blue helmet. They taped up his white helmet with blue tape and he went on to get a shut out. I want to say it was in boston. I believe it was the 93-94 season. great comparison to the situation now! I still remeber going to my first game at msg and opening the media guide and seeing richter and heely taping gloves replacing each other very similar to our goalie situation now.

Old
10-20-2008, 01:53 PM
sachemrhgoalie13

Valiquette is a good goalie but he absolutely not better then Lundqvist. He is a good back up to have on the team he puts 100% every time he plays but when it comes down to a must win game i think everyone rather see Lundqvist playing.

sachemrhgoalie13 is offline   Reply With Quote