HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Any golfers here?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-14-2008, 02:18 PM
  #76
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,478
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee and 7's* View Post
Well, I'm not of professional material just yet. My handicap is 3,4. But I need tour equipment to be able to develop my game further. You just can't spin the ball and controle it like the pro's unless you have the same equipment.
Tour equipment? Give me a prov1 and any walmart wedge and I will make it spin. The only thing tour players have that most of the normal golfers don't is great custom fitting that will get the ball flight/spin rate they want his their irons and more optimal distance with their driver and woods.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:21 PM
  #77
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,478
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
Aren't you supposed to keep your hands locked until you hit the ball?


I went golfing today, I did pretty good. I missed a hole-in-one by 2 freaking inches.
You focus on keeping your wrists locked into impact and you will hold on for dear life after the shot and hit a big slice. With proper swing plane your wrists will load natually and allow you to get a proper release past impact.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:22 PM
  #78
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,478
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Slightly off-topic, I won the Masters practice round lottery for 2008 and will be heading to Augusta National for the Monday practice round!!!!!
What did you honestly shoot...would be interesting to what a 3 handicap from Nova Scotia would think of greens running 11.5 to 12 on the stimp.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:31 PM
  #79
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Almost all driver heads on the market have that high launch and high spin. Its getting fitted with he proper shaft that will allow you to get the optimal ball flight. The Bridgstone J33R is a low spin driver head and probably the longest still on the market.

Edit: Sorry didn't realize the tour burner as a low spin driver head.
All driver heads on the market are designed to bring spin rates down not up. High spin and a driver is a horrible combination as the result is a ballooning trajectory which results is loss of distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
Tour equipment? Give me a prov1 and any walmart wedge and I will make it spin. The only thing tour players have that most of the normal golfers don't is great custom fitting that will get the ball flight/spin rate they want his their irons and more optimal distance with their driver and woods.
Agreed about a ProV, or any premium ball, and a Walmart wedge. However, the tour players have more of an advantage than just fitting, although that's a huge part of it. The tour issued equipment, especially drivers and fairway woods, are absolutely superior in quality than retail issued equipment.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:34 PM
  #80
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
What did you honestly shoot...would be interesting to what a 3 handicap from Nova Scotia would think of greens running 11.5 to 12 on the stimp.
I didn't play, I won the lottery to watch the practice round (going again this year). I'm also not from Nova Scotia.

That said I have putted greens running at 12 and it's an absolute pleasure. I'm playing Bethpage Black on Thursday and I have heard that the greens there right now are running around 11.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:41 PM
  #81
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,478
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
All driver heads on the market are designed to bring spin rates down not up. High spin and a driver is a horrible combination as the result is a ballooning trajectory which results is loss of distance.



Agreed about a ProV, or any premium ball, and a Walmart wedge. However, the tour players have more of an advantage than just fitting, although that's a huge part of it. The tour issued equipment, especially drivers and fairway woods, are absolutely superior in quality than retail issued equipment.
True enough, it all depends on your swing though.
http://www.iseekgolf.com/clubfitting...ole-in-fitting

I actually fall in the Bubba Watson category, I naturally have a low spin high trajectory type swing and could probably use a low spin driver head with a low loft and a high trajectory shaft.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:43 PM
  #82
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,478
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I didn't play, I won the lottery to watch the practice round (going again this year). I'm also not from Nova Scotia.

That said I have putted greens running at 12 and it's an absolute pleasure. I'm playing Bethpage Black on Thursday and I have heard that the greens there right now are running around 11.
Sorry, someone with a similar name was from NS on this board. Who did you follow during the practice round. Or did you stay on a certain hole. I watched Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson in a match in PEI two summers ago, legends of golf. Really hard to follow a group, much harder then I thought. Its amazing how easy they make a 68 look though. Jack shot 68 from 6600 yards, I played the exactly course the next day and shot 78 with a decent putting round.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:46 PM
  #83
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
True enough, it all depends on your swing though.
http://www.iseekgolf.com/clubfitting...ole-in-fitting

I actually fall in the Bubba Watson category, I naturally have a low spin high trajectory type swing and could probably use a low spin driver head with a low loft and a high trajectory shaft.
If you are looking for a low spin driver head, the Burner TP (specifically a tour issue Version 1) or Tour Burner TP in a 8.5 degree loft might be a good option for you.

The Aldila Proto Cinnamon could be a good shaft for you as well. It's a high launch (low kick point, soft tip) and low torque (2.6).

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:52 PM
  #84
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,478
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
If you are looking for a low spin driver head, the Burner TP (specifically a tour issue Version 1) or Tour Burner TP in a 8.5 degree loft might be a good option for you.

The Aldila Proto Cinnamon could be a good shaft for you as well. It's a high launch (low kick point, soft tip) and low torque (2.6).
Graffaloy blue has always been a shaft (although older) that has worked for me. I tried the Aldila green nv 65 and hated it. I was thinking about a Harrison Striper Tour shaft...hear any reviews on them?

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 03:19 PM
  #85
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Graffaloy blue has always been a shaft (although older) that has worked for me. I tried the Aldila green nv 65 and hated it. I was thinking about a Harrison Striper Tour shaft...hear any reviews on them?
Have you tried the Graffaloy Pro Launch Blue? That's a high launching shaft as well and it's funny you mentioned the NV because, IMO, the Pro Launch is the antithesis of the NV so if you hated the NV you would probably love the Pro Launch. My father and I basically have polar opposite swings and for years he swore by the NV and hated the Pro Launch while I hated the NV, but loved the Pro Launch (I've got a Nike SQ Tour with the Pro Launch sitting in my garage if you are interested in it).

I haven't heard anything about the Harrison shaft. You should check out www.golfwrx.com or www.bombsquadgolf.com if you are interested in some good golf forums.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 03:27 PM
  #86
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Sorry, someone with a similar name was from NS on this board. Who did you follow during the practice round. Or did you stay on a certain hole. I watched Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson in a match in PEI two summers ago, legends of golf. Really hard to follow a group, much harder then I thought. Its amazing how easy they make a 68 look though. Jack shot 68 from 6600 yards, I played the exactly course the next day and shot 78 with a decent putting round.
I didn't follow any groups at all. I wanted to walk the course from 1 to 18 and didn't really care who I saw as I really just wanted to see the golf course.

Here's a link to my Webshots page with pictures...

http://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community

This said, yes, the pros do make it look very easy. I spent about 45 minutes at the putting green and watched guys drain 10 footers like they were tap-ins.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 07:24 PM
  #87
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,478
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Have you tried the Graffaloy Pro Launch Blue? That's a high launching shaft as well and it's funny you mentioned the NV because, IMO, the Pro Launch is the antithesis of the NV so if you hated the NV you would probably love the Pro Launch. My father and I basically have polar opposite swings and for years he swore by the NV and hated the Pro Launch while I hated the NV, but loved the Pro Launch (I've got a Nike SQ Tour with the Pro Launch sitting in my garage if you are interested in it).

I haven't heard anything about the Harrison shaft. You should check out www.golfwrx.com or www.bombsquadgolf.com if you are interested in some good golf forums.
Yea I'm on shottalk but I seen GolfWRX has some interesting threads, may take a quick look over. Also, you really notice the undulation of the course....something you can't see on TV.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 08:42 PM
  #88
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Yea I'm on shottalk but I seen GolfWRX has some interesting threads, may take a quick look over. Also, you really notice the undulation of the course....something you can't see on TV.
Golfwrx is very good and Bombsquad isn't bad. A lot of the same people go to both sites.

As for Augusta, the elevation changes are not to be believed. The 10th hole from tee to green is a major elevation drop and you cannot tell nearly how much so on TV, even with HD.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:07 AM
  #89
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Jason,

The Pro Launch that I have is in a Cleveland Comp, not the Nike.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 05:15 PM
  #90
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
I have to say that if you want a humbling golf experience, go to Bethpage State Park and play the Black course. I have been playing the best golf of the year as of late (last 4 rounds 75, 74, 72, 73 on my home course, which is no pushover) and this course completely kicked me in the ba**s yesterday as I fired a smooth 86. How the pros shoot even par and under is truly an amazing feat.

Basically if you do not hit it in the fairway (which aren't wide open, but "fair"), you have no chance of getting to the green and you have no choice but to hack a wedge back into the fairway and try to get up and down from 100+ yards to save your par.

The highlights of my day was birdie'ing the par 5 7th (played about 510 yards, got home in 2 and 2-putted), par'ing 17 (204 yard par 3, hitting the green and 2 putting from 30 feet) and par'ing 18 (hit it into the fairway bunker, hit it to 15 feet from 135 yards and left my putt 1 revolution short of making birdie). Aside from that, there were a lot of bogeys and doubles on my card.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:19 AM
  #91
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 18,487
vCash: 500
Thats awesome Pelts, I would love to play Bethpage, someday.
+17 in Winnipeg today, getting out to the CLub today

2 weeks until Phoenix golf trip

Question guys, I am an 8 handicapper and play X-12's, have had them for years and love them, as they are still some of the smallest Callaways, but thinking of getting some new irons this winter. Any suggestions, I do not want blades, but not shovels either. Am thinking Mizunos ???

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 01:51 PM
  #92
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Question guys, I am an 8 handicapper and play X-12's, have had them for years and love them, as they are still some of the smallest Callaways, but thinking of getting some new irons this winter. Any suggestions, I do not want blades, but not shovels either. Am thinking Mizunos ???
I would highly recommend the Wilson Ci6's (I hit these) or if you want something a little smaller the Pi5's (Harrington won the British last year with those). those are last year's versions and you can get them on eBay for under $300. The newer verisions (Ci7 or Pi7) will run you a little more, but the clubs are virtually identical.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 09:19 AM
  #93
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Benny,

Why not plan a trip to Bethpage in the spring or fall? There are 5 courses to choose from and plenty of hotels surrounding it. If you came out I'd definitely come up for a day.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 01:55 PM
  #94
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 18,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Benny,

Why not plan a trip to Bethpage in the spring or fall? There are 5 courses to choose from and plenty of hotels surrounding it. If you came out I'd definitely come up for a day.
If and when I get out that way, it will definitely have to be planned around the Flyers, spring time would def be a possibility

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 02:10 PM
  #95
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
If and when I get out that way, it will definitely have to be planned around the Flyers, spring time would def be a possibility
The beginning of April can be a little "iffy", but the Flyers play at the Rangers on Thursday, April 9 and then at the Islanders on Saturday the 11th.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:31 PM
  #96
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work
 
yada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: watching happy pony
Country: United States
Posts: 10,438
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
anthony kim will be on teh jim rome show in about 5-15 minutes.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 11:47 AM
  #97
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Yes, it's winter for most of us (as I look outside there's 4 inches of snow and it's a high of 25 today), but I was in Florida last week and had a chance to play 3 courses.

The link to my Webshots page is still

http://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community

but there are two new albums of Old Corkscrew Golf Club (a Jack Nicklaus signature course) and Tiburon Golf Club, Black course (a Greg Norman design).

Hopefully spring will be here soon!

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 12:26 PM
  #98
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,478
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Yes, it's winter for most of us (as I look outside there's 4 inches of snow and it's a high of 25 today), but I was in Florida last week and had a chance to play 3 courses.

The link to my Webshots page is still

http://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community

but there are two new albums of Old Corkscrew Golf Club (a Jack Nicklaus signature course) and Tiburon Golf Club, Black course (a Greg Norman design).

Hopefully spring will be here soon!
Must be nice, the best I have in Nova Scotia is golf simulation. Next year when I'm on leave I am going to Florida sometime before or after Christmas.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 02:35 PM
  #99
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Must be nice, the best I have in Nova Scotia is golf simulation. Next year when I'm on leave I am going to Florida sometime before or after Christmas.
Jason,

It was nice while it lasted! I played like utter crap, but at least I was out there in the sun!

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 02:38 PM
  #100
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 18,487
vCash: 500
Good time for this thread to re appear. Was planning out my yearly trip out to BC for some Spring golf Going to play here
http://www.tobianogolf.com/

Anyone pick up any new weapons over the winter, I am going in to buy a 4 wood this week-end and may pick up a new HyBrid as well.

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.