HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Edmonton Oilers Chase Blogger Out of Press Box

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-18-2008, 11:56 AM
  #51
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.
 
Makeshift We Are's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winnipeg,MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420ilerBuzz View Post
What happened?

Mod war! Mod war everybody!
Yeah! the epic battle of mods.

Makeshift We Are is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 11:57 AM
  #52
Jet
Moderator
Chevel-takesadayoff
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 16,714
vCash: 50
Lock + lock = unlock... interesting.

__________________
The farts have just started and thankfully the boyfriend has already headed home. -LadyJet
Jet is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 11:59 AM
  #53
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.
 
Makeshift We Are's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winnipeg,MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Lock + lock = unlock... interesting.
It's like quantum physics or some kinda funky *****! Make up your minds Mods! lol

Makeshift We Are is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:00 PM
  #54
420ilerBuzz*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anger Managment Ward
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,780
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to 420ilerBuzz*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Lock + lock = unlock... interesting.
Too much math this early in the morning...

420ilerBuzz* is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:00 PM
  #55
OILFAN #81
Registered User
 
OILFAN #81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post



So says the guy that has personal conversations with his sister on calgarypuck
You mean I can't talk to a family member about hockey on a message board? Silly me.

I should probably check the precipitation of the grass in one city compared to another city before I do to make sure it is okay.

OILFAN #81 is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:01 PM
  #56
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.
 
Makeshift We Are's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winnipeg,MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420ilerBuzz View Post
Too much math this early in the morning...
While we're on the topic of math,...







Makeshift We Are is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:02 PM
  #57
PunjabiOil*
 
PunjabiOil*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
You mean I can't talk to a family member about hockey on a message board? Silly me.
I was referring to ''personal conversations''

I.e. ''Can you tell mom I called"

Who does that?

Anyways, carry on.

PunjabiOil* is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:02 PM
  #58
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.
 
Makeshift We Are's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winnipeg,MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
You mean I can't talk to a family member about hockey on a message board? Silly me.

I should probably check the precipitation of the grass in one city compared to another city before I do to make sure it is okay.
You are a very very bad person! You shall be shunned!


Just ignore PJO. Sometimes he has good things to say but mostly... not.

Makeshift We Are is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:04 PM
  #59
pox
Registered User
 
pox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,401
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to pox
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
Yes, you are doing that. Might I point out the line you wrote below.
thank you PuckNut, i was about to post that befor the lock came

PJO, i have been told somethings about the Oilers media deparment that makes me tend to side with the bloger on this one, it is true that we dont have all the facts. But to make the thread title such as you did only leads to incitment of others, because you are infact painting the whole company with one brush by saying "The Edmonton Oilers are the epitome of pathetic "

pox is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:04 PM
  #60
OILFAN #81
Registered User
 
OILFAN #81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
I was referring to ''personal conversations''

I.e. ''Can you tell mom I called"

Who does that?

Anyways, carry on.
Umm, I have never said anything like that. Maybe she has, but I never have. But thanks for coming out.

OILFAN #81 is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:06 PM
  #61
OILFAN #81
Registered User
 
OILFAN #81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagner4God View Post


Just ignore PJO. Sometimes he has good things to say but mostly... not.
Couldn't have said it any better.


Last edited by theoil: 10-18-2008 at 12:14 PM.
OILFAN #81 is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:08 PM
  #62
hibbleton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 430
vCash: 500
Yikes. I understand that being in the press box is a privilege that's not to be abused, but this is a little ridiculous. What's the point in strong arming one of your biggest supporters and fans? It just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

hibbleton is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:08 PM
  #63
Other Little Mikey
Registered User
 
Other Little Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
I was referring to ''personal conversations''

I.e. ''Can you tell mom I called"

Who does that?

Anyways, carry on.
Yeah, like you two aren't having a personal conversation right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
what rules?
Well, it's not like you can keep salaries a secret. They used to, but even before the cap, salaries were made public. It just annoys the crap out of me that everyone knows they're going to be published in an hour and yet teams give us this "in accordance with team policies terms of the deal were not released." Blah blah bull****.

Anyway, to be more on-topic, Staples has blogged (hah, irony) about this. I agree that the Oilers need to figure out their policy on this, and that bloggers who want to be treated like MSM need to act like MSM. (Not saying Covered in Oil guy didn't, how would I know.)

Other Little Mikey is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:09 PM
  #64
420ilerBuzz*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anger Managment Ward
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,780
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to 420ilerBuzz*
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibbleton View Post
Yikes. I understand that being in the press box is a privilege that's not to be abused, but this is a little ridiculous. What's the point in strong arming one of your biggest supporters and fans? It just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
He broke a widely known rule - and remember, it's just one side of the story.

420ilerBuzz* is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:10 PM
  #65
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,445
vCash: 50
Well by judging by his previous blogs he shouldnt be writing anyhow.

__________________
MacTavish signs UFA's just to annoy you
Homesick is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:13 PM
  #66
theoil
Registered User
 
theoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,153
vCash: 500
OK - I finally got to the end cleaning as I went and that is probably why the thread is open. Don't make me regret the work please and stay on topic. Now that we have attracted the attention of the Global Mods consider this thread on a short leash.

I changed the thread title so it could stay open and be discussed PJO. In future if you want to initiate discussion try and avoid the kind of thread titles that just make for a lot of crap flying back and forth.

theoil is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:21 PM
  #67
Brian28
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,532
vCash: 500
The bottom line here is that the blogger broke the rules. He was there for a specific job and decided to do his own blogging while at work. If I went on site at Imperial Oil and in the process of doing my job decided to do someone elses job I'd be kicked off site too. Other people are employed to do that job within the organization and media passes aren't given away to anyone who wants one in a city this heavily involved in hockey.

Brian28 is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:28 PM
  #68
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.
 
Makeshift We Are's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winnipeg,MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 50
And again... unlocked.... cool.

Makeshift We Are is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:30 PM
  #69
Heavy Fuel
 
Heavy Fuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canuckistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,614
vCash: 500
OK, locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked, so I better type fast before I get caught in another lockdown.

420 tells us that he was expressly warned about live blogging when he got his PB pass. That makes sense, since he says he got the pass as a blogger, and the Oilers knew about it.

According to the link that the OP provided, Covered in Oil had a PB pass as an employee reporting for an unnamed boss when he decided to start live blogging the proceedings. The Oilers did not know him as a blogger, and may not have warned him about the live blogging restrictions.

I haven't been in the PB, and don't know how busy it is or what the media accreditation requirements are, but if you are representing yourself as one thing and doing another I can see why the Oilers might have a problem with C.I.O. Especially when he is breaking another rule they have regarding the live blogging. Frankly, I don't know why they give the passes to bloggers anyway, it sounds like a scam to watch games for free...

How many people have to read your blog before you get one of those passes? Maybe we could all just sit in the press box and talk about the game while it going on...after all, half the posters here seem to have blogs. I might as well join in if it gets me in the door.

Heavy Fuel is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:33 PM
  #70
420ilerBuzz*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anger Managment Ward
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,780
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to 420ilerBuzz*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Fuel View Post
OK, locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked, so I better type fast before I get caught in another lockdown.

420 tells us that he was expressly warned about live blogging when he got his PB pass. That makes sense, since he says he got the pass as a blogger, and the Oilers knew about it.

According to the link that the OP provided, Covered in Oil had a PB pass as an employee reporting for an unnamed boss when he decided to start live blogging the proceedings. The Oilers did not know him as a blogger, and may not have warned him about the live blogging restrictions.

I haven't been in the PB, and don't know how busy it is or what the media accreditation requirements are, but if you are representing yourself as one thing and doing another I can see why the Oilers might have a problem with C.I.O. Especially when he is breaking another rule they have regarding the live blogging. Frankly, I don't know why they give the passes to bloggers anyway, it sounds like a scam to watch games for free...

How many people have to read your blog before you get one of those passes? Maybe we could all just sit in the press box and talk about the game while it going on...after all, half the posters here seem to have blogs. I might as well join in if it gets me in the door.
I didn't get one as a blogger (I don't believe I said that either) - just to make that clear.

420ilerBuzz* is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:35 PM
  #71
n00b1AnPr1nc355
Registered User
 
n00b1AnPr1nc355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagner4God View Post
While we're on the topic of math,...






Wow that might be the greatest thing i have ever seen on the internet. I dont even know what to say. thank you

n00b1AnPr1nc355 is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:36 PM
  #72
Pouzar
Registered User
 
Pouzar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420ilerBuzz View Post
He broke a widely known rule - and remember, it's just one side of the story.
It's not a widely known rule at all, hence Oilers Nation using their press passes for exclusive blog material in the same way and never being kicked out of Rexall.

The issue isn't a blogger feeling entitled to his press pass -- David had a press pass as a member of the established media already. He did, however, almost get forceably get kicked out by security and lose his access for also being a blogger.

He was simply sharing what happened the other night, take it or leave it. It is interesting to debate about, though.

Pouzar is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:36 PM
  #73
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.
 
Makeshift We Are's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winnipeg,MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b1AnPr1nc355 View Post
Wow that might be the greatest thing i have ever seen on the internet. I dont even know what to say. thank you
No problem my friend.

Makeshift We Are is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:36 PM
  #74
Traktor*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,657
vCash: 500
A guy that broke the rules was dealt with. The horror! The horror!

People too sensitive these days..

Traktor* is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 12:38 PM
  #75
420ilerBuzz*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anger Managment Ward
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,780
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to 420ilerBuzz*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouzar View Post
It's not a widely known rule at all, hence Oilers Nation using their press passes for exclusive blog material in the same way and never being kicked out of Rexall.

The issue isn't a blogger feeling entitled to his press pass -- David had a press pass as a member of the established media already. He did, however, almost get forceably get kicked out by security and lose his access for also being a blogger.

He was simply sharing what happened the other night, take it or leave it. It is interesting to debate about, though.
Hey, I'm just saying what happened when I received one. And it still is only one side of the story - and is great for debate, don't get me wrong.

All I'm saying is that I knew about the rule (as do many others that I know in the media) because it was explicitly explained to me (and others). I thought the same would have happened for him.

420ilerBuzz* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.