HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Oilers @ Flames, Game 4

View Poll Results: Who was the Flames' MVP?
Todd Bertuzzi 17 80.95%
Michael Cammalleri 1 4.76%
Dion Phaneuf 0 0%
David Moss 0 0%
Adrian Aucoin 0 0%
Other - please specify 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Hyde

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Didn't we lose the game pretty much on the PP?

5 on 5, I thought we did play a better game. Edmonton won it because of stupid Calgary penalties.
I guess you could say that is why the Flames lost it. Though which penalties were stupid, Regehr, Conroy and maybe the one on Bert. There is no way in the relem possibilities that the Oilers did nothing in the first two periods to not to warrant a Flames powerplay? Impossible.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 02:48 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
Hey, if you don't mind me asking, how is Cammalleri doing with you guys? I noticed that he has racked up a few points already
Great. Our second best forward so far behind Bertuzzi. Absolutely love Cammalleri on this team.

Pretty dissapointing loss. Thought 5 on 5 we were better, but the penalties cost us the game. Flames have to have better discipline, but there were some pretty soft calls on them. Refs ruined the flow of the game in that 2nd period. Ice was really brutal last night as well. Puck was bouncing all over the place.

Bertuzzi continues to impress. Really happy with him so far. Iggy needs to be better. Looked off last night and just didn't play that well. Kipper was better, but still the defence and him need to tighten up a lot. Can't continue to give up as many goals as we have.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
I guess you could say that is why the Flames lost it. Though which penalties were stupid, Regehr, Conroy and maybe the one on Bert. There is no way in the relem possibilities that the Oilers did nothing in the first two periods to not to warrant a Flames powerplay? Impossible.
Agreed.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Cawz

I asked this on the main board but probably should ask here. I didnt see the Flames do the thing on the scoreboard that mocks the Oilers fans and Edmonton. They usually show a spoof of Oiler fans with mullets getting chased back to Edmonton and putting a Flames jersey on the Edmonton City of Champions sign etc. Did I miss it or did they not do something like that last night?

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatone94 View Post
I really have to disagree. In the first period when it was totally 5 on 5, the Oilers were all over the Flames and the shots were 15-8. i think the Oilers were carrying the 5 on 5 play which led to the penalties being taken by the Flames.
While I am somewhat torn about the first part, I strongly disagree about the second (bolded) one:
It was definitely not the Oilers' speed or play, which led to the penalties, but the Flames' lack of effort and lack of discipline. Boyd, Primeau and Bertuzzi took their penalties in the Oilers' zone and Conroy's penalty was away from the play, while Regehr's penalty resulted from a battle along the boards, which was unnecessary too say the least.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 03:46 PM
abracanada

What really ticks me off is this stupid tendency to take the physical play out of the game. They want to make players afraid to touch the other player. Go near them and you end up with a hooking penalty.

This league penalizes the hell out of the physical teams and lets others, like Edmonton or Detroit play this cheesy no contact game.

A team like Buffalo is averaging 29.2 minutes per game in penalties. Equivalent to half the game. To me, that means the referees are playing way too big a role in deciding the outcome. The Flames aren't too far behind.

If half the game is special teams, it is too much. The referees are attempting to send a message right now to physical teams. Then, later on, they will tend to throw the whistle away for periods of the season. Inconsistency in officiating, and using officiating to shape the league's play, means the officials play far too big a role in deciding who wins. They are cutting the balls off of the game hence teams like Edmonton thrive.

I get tired of being frustrated and feeling cheated watching games where dives are one of the key skills. The only thing that counts now, is scoring. Not the way we play the game in Canada (at least not traditionally). If they are going to continue softening the sport this way and take the heart out of it, I may have to find a more productive use of my time.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:37 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
What really ticks me off is this stupid tendency to take the physical play out of the game. They want to make players afraid to touch the other player. Go near them and you end up with a hooking penalty.

This league penalizes the hell out of the physical teams and lets others, like Edmonton or Detroit play this cheesy no contact game.

A team like Buffalo is averaging 29.2 minutes per game in penalties. Equivalent to half the game. To me, that means the referees are playing way too big a role in deciding the outcome. The Flames aren't too far behind.

If half the game is special teams, it is too much. The referees are attempting to send a message right now to physical teams. Then, later on, they will tend to throw the whistle away for periods of the season. Inconsistency in officiating, and using officiating to shape the league's play, means the officials play far too big a role in deciding who wins. They are cutting the balls off of the game hence teams like Edmonton thrive.

I get tired of being frustrated and feeling cheated watching games where dives are one of the key skills. The only thing that counts now, is scoring. Not the way we play the game in Canada (at least not traditionally). If they are going to continue softening the sport this way and take the heart out of it, I may have to find a more productive use of my time.
Buffalo wins...

sweatypickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
Buffalo wins...
I don't think that was the point of his post.

The biggest issue is the lack of consistency. It is bad enough from game to game, but when the penalty criteria changes from period to period, minute to minute, it gets frustrating for the fans, the coaches and the players. Really it's ridiculous. Ref's let things go one period and then call them the next.

This is getting a tad off topic though.

Last edited by Hyde: 10-18-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote