HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Strachan: Halak will be traded at deadline?

Old
10-18-2008, 10:41 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Look at the source....enough said. The Habs would not make such a stupid move unless they had something more the Denis as a potential backup.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Yep, sure the Habs have Maxwell but if Gainey could land a top center prospect for Halak that might do it for me.
Ok for fun, lets say on December 23rd or whenever this season, Gainey does what you suggest.

Who backs up Price? so what do you deal away to get a quality backup?

Toskala played for years behind and with at times Nabakov.
Bryzgalov played behind Gigure for years.
Kipper played behind Nabakov for years(not sure how long )

there are other examples as well, they were very effective and not dealt untill absolutely necessary. Burke let Bryzgalov walk cause of a promise, but after he played behind Gigure for years!!!

Halak is still very young and will play behind Price for a few years, not a few months.

there are other depth guys that can be dealt for said top 4 Dman or whatever at the deadline, and only if we need it. I'm not sold on the fact that we need anything. I'm happy with the team as is and with the guys trying to make the team. Trading Halak is way counterproductive. After trading a guy like that who the hell replaces him, cause that is the one position we don't have serious depth at. Denis is crap, and Desjardins is still young and trying to prove himself at the AHL level. For that matter so is Denis.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:51 AM
TheCH*

How the hell can people sum up Halak by saying "Halak is a backup goalie"?

WTF? He is one of the best young goalie prospects in the league and is ready for a starting job.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:58 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post

WTF? He is one of the best young goalie prospects in the league and is ready for a starting job.
He is? We'll keep him then.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:06 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
He is? We'll keep him then.
Agreed!

Old
10-18-2008, 12:04 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
I was watching The Score and Al Strachan said that Halak will be traded at the deadline. He mentioned that they would showcase him a bit more and than flip him at the deadline.
Thats what Jacques Demers think as well but I personally desagree.. Halak is to me a way better goaltender than Denis is and I think it would be a mistake to trade him so early, if Price get injured at some point, believe me that you will be happy to have Halak around..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I think it all depends on how well Denis plays in Hamilton this year. If he tears it up, MAYBE Gainey would consider moving Halak before the deadline.

Unless that happens, the chances of Halak being moved anytime this year IMO are slim to none.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Halak is no more playoff insurance than Denis...in fact Denis has more NHL and playoff experience.
Denis has shown no ability in the last two years to stop NHL shooters... Halak has.

Also... Halak has 2 more games of NHL playoff experience than Denis, who has played 0 playoff games....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think the only way Gainey trades Halak is if he gets top dollar for him, otherwise, keep him as a cheap back up. It would be dumb to trade him just because we have 2 good young goalies.

You can't really say Halak is a "back up goalie", he is just starting his career and has not had prior chances at #1. Smith got Dallas Richards so obviously Halak could have good trade value at one point.
Smith has been the exception not the rule in NHL trades... also he was part of a package... and Jay Feaster made a number of mistakes as a GM.

Quote:

Right now he is our backup goalie.... He has potential to be more... but he is a backup goalie.

Right now he'd be a starter for how many teams in the league exactly?? ottawa, colorado, LA... thats about it.... he still has alot to prove. He has less than 20 career starts.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 03:43 PM
habfaninvictoria

Someone should lock Al Strachan and Eklund in the same room, with no phones, computers or any means of communication whatsoever. Leave them in there for the season, let them right down there predictions. The one who emerges with the most amount correct be allowed to continue his career in sports casting, while the loser must never write about hockey again or be made to be the Leafs GM for life.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 03:48 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Someone should lock Al Strachan and Eklund in the same room, with no phones, computers or any means of communication whatsoever. Leave them in there for the season, let them right down there predictions. The one who emerges with the most amount correct be allowed to continue his career in sports casting, while the loser must never write about hockey again or be made to be the Leafs GM for life.
You can throw Garrioch in there as well.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 03:56 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I nominate you for leader of all

Old
10-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
If Halak and a draft choice gets us that 4th d-man we need for a cup run, I'm all for it, but I doubt it happens.
totally agree with that.... Halak has the talent to be a number one in this league and there is no sense having two possible number one goalies on the same team... Marc Denis would be servicable as a backup

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
I know Halak wants to be a #1 goalie and he is sure good enough.
Price and Halak as a set is within the top 3 in the NHL.
If someone wants Halak he had better be ready to pay.
If it's the case of 2nd goalies have no worth, then keep Halak.
But lets face facts, Halak is darn good and will sign for good price as it would be his first real NHL contract. Thats what the Habs have to offer in Halak. Nobody is selling this asset at a fire sale.
I don't know who the other top 2 duos are (besides Price and Halak) but Lundqvist and Valiquette form an excellent duo. So why aren't there rumors about trading Valiquette? I doubt the Rangers would do ity now or at the trading deadline, so why would the Habs strip themselves down to Price and a washed up Denis? This would be a serious move, people, so get real.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
totally agree with that.... Halak has the talent to be a number one in this league and there is no sense having two possible number one goalies on the same team... Marc Denis would be servicable as a backup
Just out of curiosity how many games have you seen Denis play in the NHL regular season play in the last two years??? and what have you seen in those games that make you think he was serviceable??

I don't know where Marc Denis ever got this big hype around him... but he's crap. Nowhere near serviceable.

If Denis is your number 2 and Price gets hurt, you can kiss your season goodbye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I don't know who the other top 2 duos are (besides Price and Halak) but Lundqvist and Valiquette form an excellent duo. So why aren't there rumors about trading Valiquette? I doubt the Rangers would do ity now or at the trading deadline, so why would the Habs strip themselves down to Price and a washed up Denis? This would be a serious move, people, so get real.
Washed up?? How about never was.... Denis has never done anything in the NHL... he was hyped as a WJC goalie and was Roy's backup for a bit, but NHL success... he's had very, very, little.

Old
10-18-2008, 04:27 PM
BaseballCoach

Originally Posted by FF de Mars:
Quote:
If Halak and a draft choice gets us that 4th d-man we need for a cup run, I'm all for it, but I doubt it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
Wow, just wow.

Where do I start? So much to disagree with in so few words.

If Halak and a draft choice get us a #4 defenceman, it's because he is going UFA, or is very expensive. If he's very expensive, he might as well be a UFA because we are going to need to dump him or not re-sign another vet to be under the cap next year.

Meanwhile, you think Halak has the talent to be a #1 goalie in the league. Well, who in their right mind trades a #1 goalie with a $775k cap hit and another contract to come before he hits UFA status, PLUS a draft choice, to get a 4th defenceman for a short time?????????

There is no sense in having two number one goalies? Are you serious??? OK, let's look at this hypothetical. The Habs stick with both goaltenders for two years. Both prove to be excellent. Halak steps in for a brief time as #1 when Price gets a minor injury and wins all his games. Price returns and does well, but the Habs fall short of the Cup for the next two years. Koivu is now almost 36 and no longer producing. Pleks is plateaud at 65-70 points per year. Maxwell isn't looking like a #1 centreman, and Chipchura is still in and out of the bottom lines. The Habs are looking for a boost to their offence and trades are a possibility. Someone offers an Anze Kopitar or an Evgeni Malkin for Carey Price. Wouldn't it be great to have the option to say yes? Or maybe someone makes an offer of a Mike Richards or similar second-level star for Halak. Again, it would be great to have options.

Let Halak increase his worth to us WHILE he is on our payroll CHEAP. That is much better asset management.

Meanwhile, Marc Denis is NOT serviceable as a backup. He was just put on waivers and not one NHL team took him! Fuggetaboudim.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 05:05 PM
sampollock

stractan is a knob,

halak needs to push carey p.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 05:21 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Originally Posted by FF de Mars:

Wow, just wow.

Where do I start? So much to disagree with in so few words.

If Halak and a draft choice get us a #4 defenceman, it's because he is going UFA, or is very expensive. If he's very expensive, he might as well be a UFA because we are going to need to dump him or not re-sign another vet to be under the cap next year.

Meanwhile, you think Halak has the talent to be a #1 goalie in the league. Well, who in their right mind trades a #1 goalie with a $775k cap hit and another contract to come before he hits UFA status, PLUS a draft choice, to get a 4th defenceman for a short time?????????

There is no sense in having two number one goalies? Are you serious??? OK, let's look at this hypothetical. The Habs stick with both goaltenders for two years. Both prove to be excellent. Halak steps in for a brief time as #1 when Price gets a minor injury and wins all his games. Price returns and does well, but the Habs fall short of the Cup for the next two years. Koivu is now almost 36 and no longer producing. Pleks is plateaud at 65-70 points per year. Maxwell isn't looking like a #1 centreman, and Chipchura is still in and out of the bottom lines. The Habs are looking for a boost to their offence and trades are a possibility. Someone offers an Anze Kopitar or an Evgeni Malkin for Carey Price. Wouldn't it be great to have the option to say yes? Or maybe someone makes an offer of a Mike Richards or similar second-level star for Halak. Again, it would be great to have options.

Let Halak increase his worth to us WHILE he is on our payroll CHEAP. That is much better asset management.

Meanwhile, Marc Denis is NOT serviceable as a backup. He was just put on waivers and not one NHL team took him! Fuggetaboudim.
It is, but only cause you assume Halak is, and will keep playing great...

but, will he ? NO ONE knows..

How about: GMs calls you for Halak, you decline all the offers promptly, in the meantime Price goes down for a month and his replacement (Halak) is playing so badly we don't even make the playoffs...

is is still good asset management ?

right now it doesnt make sense at all, our 4th D (O'Byrne) is doing OK, Denis is far from ready for a backup role in the NHL, team is winning despite not playing so great...

but ALL of this could change, what about Gainey receives offers while the Habs are on a loooooong losing streak, or Denis start playing well again (like in Colombus - good enough for a backup role), O'Byrne doesnt improve at all, one of our C goes down, Hamrlik goes down for a long period of time, or something as simple as Price is playing so amazingly well Carbonneau barely play Halak (meaning his worth stays the same or decline)...

WOW ? yeah wow! if you want to explore possibilities, look at them all, not just the ones that fits your "vision"... I mean, giving an hypothesis where Halak (or any other goalie) win ALL his games, that makes sense...

This "rumor" is still B.S. though, way too soon to tell what's going to happen at trade deadline.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 06:41 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Right now he is our backup goalie.... He has potential to be more... but he is a backup goalie.

Right now he'd be a starter for how many teams in the league exactly?? ottawa, colorado, LA... thats about it.... he still has alot to prove. He has less than 20 career starts.
EVERY prospect has a lot to prove, that doesn't mean they have no value. Halak is not just a backup, he is a future star. And get real, he could start on many more teams then that. You are always downplaying the guy, i guess i just hold him in a much higher regard then you.

Old
10-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Lone Rogue

I hate Al Strachan.

So much.

The guy is the biggest hack in hockey.

Bar none.

Even Eklund.

He never says anything with substance.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
I hope we do trade him. I hope we don't do what we did to Garon. That was really mean. He was ready to be a number 1 goalie but Theodore was a little better so he was stuck as back-up (except that one season when Theodore was a God). I remember Jeff Hackett saying that Garon was ready to be number 1 long before we traded him.

Chehabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 09:58 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
NONSENSE!

How many times will I have to explain it, right now, our depth is the following:

Price
Halak
Denis
Desjardin

Which is pretty solid

now if we remove Halah from the depth Chart we have this:

Price
Denis
Desjardin
Lacasse

And now imagine if Price Gets Hurt, it gives us a depth Chart of:

Denis
Dejardins
Lacasse
Mayers

NO FREAKING WAY

:teaaaaaaaaaaaaaaach:
Pretty good effort at explaining graphically

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Trexim

vCash: 594
Strachan? Whew, I thought someone credible.

Trexim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Pretty good effort at explaining graphically
I do my best

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:06 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Halak is staying. Thanks.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
EVERY prospect has a lot to prove, that doesn't mean they have no value. Halak is not just a backup, he is a future star. And get real, he could start on many more teams then that. You are always downplaying the guy, i guess i just hold him in a much higher regard then you.
I hold Halak in very high regard.... I think he has potential to be an all-star goalie in this league. His upside is to be a Vokoun type goalie. I'm not discounting him... i'm discounting the value of goalies on the trade market... Lots of teams have good prospects and solid #1s entrenched. There are also lots of goalies available. Supply is greater than demand for goalies. He is move valuable to me on the habs than what we could get for him right now.