Slater, Santala and Stefan

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

vCash: 500
Slater, Santala and Stefan

I like opinions on where these three players stand at the moment with regards to next season. These are my thoughts personally-

Slater - Robitaille's departure will mean that there is a spot open to center the 2nd or 3rd line. Can he jump straight from college to the NHL or does he need a season in the AHL.
Santala - I kind of predicted that he needed to spend time in AHL to get use to the North American style of play. Does he need more time and can he translate some of his good offensive play from Finland into the NHL, such as contributing 20-40pts in a season.
Stefan - Half-way through last season I had basically written him off at becoming a consistant point producer, then he had a great second half and finished with career highs in scoring. Can he take the next step and get about 20 goals and 40 assists in a season or was the end of this season a fluke.

Basically I think that we need more offensive contribution from our centers given that Savard is likely to be sustainable to injury due to his size and that it can take the pressure of Kovy and Heatley to get the bulk of the points. Basically I'm nominated these three players to step up and do that but who will it be?

Old
05-05-2004, 07:53 PM
dunwoody_joe

Good question! My take:

1. Everything I've heard, and the little I've actually seen of Slater, suggests that he can make the squad. I see him as a potentially solid #2 centerman over time. At camp last year he was all over the ice--quick, tough, with a scoring touch. He loves the game and was laughing and smiling the whole time--it's infectious!

2. Patty really stepped it up and I think we've started (finally) to see his talent. He's a perfect #3 centerman--well suited by style to play there. Can he step into the #2 slot? Could be, but I really believe that he is best at #3.

3. Santala--I'm not sure what to say. In the beginning of the season I saw little to like. Later in the season I saw a bit more. He's not a solid contributer to this squad yet. Perhaps another year of AHL and occasional call-ups will do the trick. I hope to be wrong--I'd love to see a solid #4 line contributer. #3 line is too much to hope!

Old
05-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Dupuis>Ilya

Slater will be the #1 center next season. For Michigan State.

Stefan is a legit #2 guy. He won't be a premier one like the Avs have with Forsberg and Sakic or the Wings had with Yzerman and Federov, but he'll be a respectable #2.

Santala can be an OK 4th line guy if he wants to be.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:38 PM
ATLThrashers15

I think Slater's determination on whether or not he will play with Atlanta next year will determine on when the CBA is decided. If it is decided that it will be in place, which Im not being optimistic or pessimistic, but if it is there, he will be signed. If not, he will go back to Michigan State.

Old
05-06-2004, 04:44 AM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTheHero
I'd like to see what Stefan could do at left wing... He could use his defensive eyealot better from there... My line suggestions...

Kovalchuk - Savard - Kozlov
Stefan - Slater - Heatley
McEachern - Santala - Petrovicky
Larsen - Aubin - Brennan
Kozlov - Savard - Heatley is much better if you ask me. They've had all the success in the past, do you think they'll stay together? I love that line..

Old
05-06-2004, 08:02 AM
The Sneak

Rumour on the street is that Slater is asking for too much money. Not going to open the argument if this means the org is cheap or not, but with the unsettled labour deal, and the teams not close on a contract number I'd say the likelihood of Slater joining the big squad this upcoming season is slim

Old
05-06-2004, 02:51 PM
dunwoody_joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes Rage
Rumour on the street is that Slater is asking for too much money. Not going to open the argument if this means the org is cheap or not, but with the unsettled labour deal, and the teams not close on a contract number I'd say the likelihood of Slater joining the big squad this upcoming season is slim
Maybe, maybe not. He is probably slotted into the end of the 1st round type money. He may not like the incentive laden contract but that's what it is. He probably doesn't want a 2 way contract either but that's what he'll get.

With CBA negotiations open, I doubt Slater is in too strong a negotiating position.
My advice: Just sign and get into camp--once it is clear there will be a season. Otherwise stay in school one more year.

Old
05-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLThrashers15
I think Slater's determination on whether or not he will play with Atlanta next year will determine on when the CBA is decided. If it is decided that it will be in place, which Im not being optimistic or pessimistic, but if it is there, he will be signed. If not, he will go back to Michigan State.
From all accounts I've read/heard about Slater possibly turning pro early, the CBA has little (if at all) to do with whether he signs or not. Slater has repeatedly said (and it's been reported both on TV and in print) that he wants to finish school and get his degree. If you want a link, I'll try and re-locate one for you to back up my point.

Old
05-06-2004, 10:56 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I think the CBA will be the determining factor for Slater. Why sign a contract so you can be locked out or on strike. Even if that means one more year in East Lansing

Stefan is a borderline 2nd-3rd line C. He is definitely a solid shutdown C.

I was very high on Santala, but I haven't seen anything from him yet. I'd rather have DMac.

Old
06-02-2004, 10:04 AM
FINNtastic

Santala signs with HIFK

Tommi Santala has signed a two-year deal with HIFK, there's a NHL-option in his contract so it's still possible that he may return to North America if he gets a good contract offer... link (in finnish) : http://www.ifk.fi/news/files/4997.html

Old
06-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Pekka Lampinen

Santala's (or anybody's, for that matter) situation is a little complicated. He may have signed with IFK because he wants secure a firm roster spot next season should there be a big influx of NHL players in case of lockout. Still, if he is to sign with the Thrashers, in all likelihood that would be way before the lockout begins in mid-September, although not necessarily since the IIHF-NHL transfer rules no longer apply and there are no deadlines. He would probably clear waivers if needed, too. Is he perhaps thinking that the Thrashers won't offer him a decent deal? I doubt that he has had enough of NHL hockey yet.

Old
06-02-2004, 12:27 PM
MaV

Obviously Santala will get his qualifying offer, but I guess that the two-way deal isn't good enough for him for next season. Why play in the AHL with low salary if there is no chance to get called up (no NHL). So, Santala plays full season in Finland while NHLers spend big part of the season sitting home. Then for next season he'll be ready to challenge for a spot in Thrashers lineup. I think this is the most likely scenario now that he has signed, as it seems he must still use the NHL clause before 15th of July, which is quite early this summer.

Old
06-02-2004, 12:42 PM
dunwoody_joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaV
Obviously Santala will get his qualifying offer, but I guess that the two-way deal isn't good enough for him for next season. Why play in the AHL with low salary if there is no chance to get called up (no NHL). So, Santala plays full season in Finland while NHLers spend big part of the season sitting home. Then for next season he'll be ready to challenge for a spot in Thrashers lineup. I think this is the most likely scenario now that he has signed, as it seems he must still use the NHL clause before 15th of July, which is quite early this summer.
I agree. Your scenario makes the most sense!

Old
06-02-2004, 02:34 PM
FrenchKheldar

I've always liked Santala but I agree he didn't show too much at the beginning of the season. But with the progress he has shown at the end, I've still hope that with more seasoning, preferably in NA rather than back in Europe, he'll push Stefan to plya better...

As far as Slater is concerned I don't take him into account for next season...

Old
06-29-2004, 12:31 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

For those of you that think I didn't know what the heck I was talking about in regards to Slater in my earlier post on this thread, HERE is something that backs up what I've already said.

Old
06-30-2004, 09:31 AM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz
Stefan - Half-way through last season I had basically written him off at becoming a consistant point producer, then he had a great second half and finished with career highs in scoring. Can he take the next step and get about 20 goals and 40 assists in a season or was the end of this season a fluke.
Huh? By mid season last year, Peaches was on pace to finish with 20 goals. He finished with 14. His great second half of the season was on the defensive side of the puck. Unless he can become a consistent 20-goal scorer, he will never be the Thrashers' solution at second-line center. Now, third line...

Old
07-03-2004, 02:33 AM
CrossCheck

Where does D-Mack fit??? Should be 3rd line center IMO...

Closed Thread