HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gaborik Rumor Thread Part I (Pednault and Eklund)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-18-2008, 05:40 PM
  #951
superstar436
Registered User
 
superstar436's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,000
vCash: 500
to add to the Gabby rumour mill

Blair mackasy ( not sure about the spelling) who is one of the Minnesota's main scouts is in MTL, and the owner of the wild is with the team in the TB flight which is rare.

let the rumours continue. AS a habs fan I wish that we don't get him. I prefer giving higgins and mcdonough for a dustin brown than a gaborik.


Last edited by superstar436: 10-18-2008 at 05:56 PM.
superstar436 is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 05:41 PM
  #952
JTWymanFan*
 
JTWymanFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bromont,Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
I think that because Dandy is playing that he is part of this rumor. The Minny scout is in attendance again tonight. There is no other reason for him to be in the line up otherwise.

JTWymanFan* is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 05:42 PM
  #953
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,293
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
I think that Dubé said 2-3 weeks ago that the Habs are having very big expectations for Ben Maxwell .
I'd say the odds of him being ready to take over 2nd line duties next year are very slim.

Not to mention it probably wouldn't be wise to thrust him into a role he isn't ready for, nor do the Habs look to want to take a significant step back next year with regards to center depth.

Now, if the team could somehow poach Jordan Staal out of Pittsburgh... Then I'd re-evaluate things.

Bill McNeal is online now  
Old
10-18-2008, 05:43 PM
  #954
JTWymanFan*
 
JTWymanFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bromont,Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar436 View Post
to add to the Gabby rumour mill

Blair mackasy ( not sure about the spelling) who is one of the Minnesota's main scouts is in MTL, and the owner of the wild is with the team in the TB flight which is rare.

let the rumours continue. AS a habs fan I wish that we don't get him. I prefering giving higgins and mcdonough for a dustin brown than a gaborik.
Then you are not a Habs fan.

JTWymanFan* is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 05:43 PM
  #955
korky00
Registered User
 
korky00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 640
vCash: 500
Everybody says that Gaborik could disappear during the playoffs...so I started to wonder how did Higgins do las playoffs...still can't really remember...was he any good?

korky00 is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 05:47 PM
  #956
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,042
vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
No veteran bonuses?? Where did you get your information from?
Nope...only 600 K cap hit. Irish Blues site has all the info:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=MON


Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
I think that because Dandy is playing that he is part of this rumor. The Minny scout is in attendance again tonight. There is no other reason for him to be in the line up otherwise.
Good assumption. McGuire on CKAC said that Blair Maccassey (or however it spelled, he was team canada's WJC head scout a few years ago) is at the game tonight and he's a key scout for Minny. There's no reason for him to be here if he's only scouting Higgins.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 05:51 PM
  #957
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
Marian Gaborik is one of my favorite player since he's got drafted, surely one of the most spectacular player in the league and maybe the one that has the most offensive potential in the league.

But do we really need him?
Absolutely. I mean, we're desperate for goals. I mean, who lead the league in scoring last year?

Couldn't have been us...

Lone Rogue is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 05:51 PM
  #958
sevil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 661
vCash: 500
Let me say something.... Gaborik will be traded... its a matter of time! Where, well right now noone knows.. but he is turning down big numbers (fact). Every team that thinks they can fit him in under their cap will sharpening pencils and will see what they can come up with. However he doesnt want to play for a defensive team...

I have heard that minny went to montreal and tried to set up the deal..not montreal going to minny!

I come on here, saying what I have heard, I have been in montreal for the past 3 days and the Gabby talk is real!.. whether the deal happens or not.. right now no one knows! however the deal is real and being discussed.. I have no idea if we are leading or behind.. and I really cant say who will go if it does happen... but the signing long term is key in this deal ... as will it be with any other teams that are interested!

We are all arm chair quaterbacks.. and we all have opinions but truth be known.. If Gainey believes this will give us a better chance at the cup .. he will do what he has to !

go Habs!

sevil is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 05:52 PM
  #959
JTWymanFan*
 
JTWymanFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bromont,Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
I would expect that Dandy for his cap hit, will have to go Minny's way if this is going to happen.

JTWymanFan* is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 05:54 PM
  #960
couz
 
couz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: montreal
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
Minny is scouting the game again...Blair Mackassey head pro scout of Minny is at the game as per Brunet.

couz is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 05:56 PM
  #961
JTWymanFan*
 
JTWymanFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bromont,Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevil View Post
Let me say something.... Gaborik will be traded... its a matter of time! Where, well right now noone knows.. but he is turning down big numbers (fact). Every team that thinks they can fit him in under their cap will sharpening pencils and will see what they can come up with. However he doesnt want to play for a defensive team...

I have heard that minny went to montreal and tried to set up the deal..not montreal going to minny!

I come on here, saying what I have heard, I have been in montreal for the past 3 days and the Gabby talk is real!.. whether the deal happens or not.. right now no one knows! however the deal is real and being discussed.. I have no idea if we are leading or behind.. and I really cant say who will go if it does happen... but the signing long term is key in this deal ... as will it be with any other teams that are interested!


We are all arm chair quaterbacks.. and we all have opinions but truth be known.. If Gainey believes this will give us a better chance at the cup .. he will do what he has to !

go Habs!
I am mostly worried about team chemistry with this kind of a move. I am pretty certain that Higgy is well liked in the room. I really like Higgy and would be saddened to see the kid go

JTWymanFan* is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 05:58 PM
  #962
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
Minny is scouting the game again...Blair Mackassey head pro scout of Minny is at the game as per Brunet.
Well, if theres any truth to Montreal being heavy in this, then it makes no sense for Higgins and McDonaugh to be the offer. It must be someone currently playing.

Lone Rogue is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 06:00 PM
  #963
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,704
vCash: 500
Though, does the possibility of losing Komi since Higgins will be gone too come into effect ?

We don't really need Gaborik anyways, imo.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 06:02 PM
  #964
couz
 
couz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: montreal
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Well, if theres any truth to Montreal being heavy in this, then it makes no sense for Higgins and McDonaugh to be the offer. It must be someone currently playing.
Or Higgins could be the centerpiece and a guy like OB or Lapierre they are checking out too.

I also agree that this could be a dangerous room for team chemistry, Higgins is hugely popular in the room...i dont like messing with good chemistry.

If there's a way to get this guy without losing Higgins that would be a dream.

couz is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 06:02 PM
  #965
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,761
vCash: 500
According to HabsInsideOut, on RDS they said the offer was Higgins + Halak + 1st round pick.

Mike Boone on HabsInsideOut correctly points out that noone at RDS apparently looked into the salary cap hits in this trade.

HomaridII is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 06:02 PM
  #966
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,537
vCash: 500
Are we going to have a multi-thread saga for the biggest upcoming UFA every year ?

SpreeEndaz is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 06:03 PM
  #967
JTWymanFan*
 
JTWymanFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bromont,Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Though, does the possibility of losing Komi since Higgins will be gone too come into effect ?

We don't really need Gaborik anyways, imo.

When and where did Komi ever say he would leave if Higgy left, i have been hearing this for so long now. We are talking about pro hockey players, not kids playing Bantam hockey.

JTWymanFan* is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 06:03 PM
  #968
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,986
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
According to HabsInsideOut, on RDS they said the offer was Higgins + Halak + 1st round pick.

Mike Boone on HabsInsideOut correctly points out that noone at RDS apparently looked into the salary cap hits in this trade.
That wont happen. Minnesota has Harding and have no need for Halak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
When and where did Komi ever say he would leave if Higgy lefy, i have been hearing this for so long now. We are talking about pro hockey players, not kids playing Bantam hockey.
He hasn't said it but it's no secret that they are best of friends.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-19-2008 at 02:36 PM.
chaosrevolver is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 06:05 PM
  #969
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Yes... and this three offensive line plan is not a one year thing.

If, and thats a big if, he's ready next year, let him start on line 3... where we aren't relying on a rookie too much.
i get your point but also , i see young players having an immediat impact , playing on first or second line . Look how SKost was doing last season .

I know that there could be a lot of pressure to play on a second line , but when you have players like Tanguay or Gaborik to surround you , there is less pressure .

goalchenyuk is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 06:06 PM
  #970
JTWymanFan*
 
JTWymanFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bromont,Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
He hasn't said it but it's no secret that they are best of friends.
My best friend moved to work in Alberta. I am still here in Quebec.

JTWymanFan* is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 06:08 PM
  #971
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Good assumption. McGuire on CKAC said that Blair Maccassey (or however it spelled, he was team canada's WJC head scout a few years ago) is at the game tonight and he's a key scout for Minny. There's no reason for him to be here if he's only scouting Higgins.
And not the reason for Halak and McDonagh as well. Him being here shouldn't be for other guys in the lineup except for let's say Latendresse and O'Byrne. I don't see any other guys being available that could be part of a package. I don't see the Kostitsyn's being available.

Besides.....what kind of effect will the departure of Higgins do on Komi's intention in staying? Could he also be tempted to look elsewhere since his favorite pal would then be gone? Will there be cap space in Minnesota next year?

As far some comments about we want the cup this year for the 100th year.....how is that such a gimme with the acquisition of Gaborik. Didn't the Rangers love to pack their teams and ended up failing miserably. Isn't more about chemistry than racking stars?

And nobody is worried by Gaborik's injuries???

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 06:11 PM
  #972
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Okay, maybe we need to slow down for a second.

For those who are obviously gung ho about Gaborik, let me ask a few questions:

1. For those offering up Higgins, why do you think Bob Gainey is willing to lose Higgins for Gaborik, when he wasn't willing to lose Higgins for Hossa?
2. Another Higgins question, why do you think Risebrough (sp?) is focused on acquiring Higgins? I mean, do you think no-one else can offer better for Gaborik? Why isn't his attention on a different Hab?
3. Those tossing in McDonaugh: Minnesota does not have one single high profile Minnesota born prospect. Do you think thats just out of draft position, or is there a reason to that? Hell, nevermind high profile, check their prospects. They really have none.
4. Those tossing in Halak: Do you even know who the Minnesota Wild are? They play the most rigorous, hard nosed defensive game in the NHL. Even more than the Trap Originating Devils (who don't play trap anymore, but nevermind, thats for another time). They play a heavy system game that has allowed them to make average goaltenders look like absolute gods. They have Backstrom, who is only 30 years old in net, and his back-up is Josh Harding, whose credentials are by no means inferior to Halak. Why would Minnesota want Halak so bad?
5. No 1st Round Draft Pick: Why wouldn't the Wild skip on a first round pick when getting someone for Gaborik? I mean, does that make any sense?
6. Trade before the Trade Deadline. For some reason, maybe due to the Hossa sweepstakes, I don't know, people are now convinced you receive less at the deadline than you do at any other time in the season. The point of the deadline is to make teams sweat and decide that to make the playoffs or be put "over the top", they have to sacrifice for the greater good. Why would Minnesota make a deal now than later, when more teams will be involved?

Just a few points for people to ponder. Think about what Spector said. Why would Minnesota make this deal when they are a playoff contending team as well?

Lone Rogue is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 08:00 PM
  #973
sevil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 661
vCash: 500
your quoting me as saying gainey is after the cup... but nowhere did i say it was a gimme if we got gabs.. so stop putting words in my mouth.. period!

I also.. have said many times.. I dont know if i like this trade... all I am saying is that there is talk, there are possibilities and Gaborik is in the centre of it all...

no gimmies..

sevil is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 10:09 PM
  #974
KovalevDeke
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 262
vCash: 500
Tanguay - Koivu - Gaborik
Ak - Pleks - Kovalev
SK - Lang - Latendresse
Laraque - Lapierre - Kostopoulos


SICK SICK SICK !!!!

KovalevDeke is offline  
Old
10-18-2008, 10:45 PM
  #975
Domenic
Registered User
 
Domenic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 853
vCash: 500
Will "Higgins + Halak + 1st" become the new "Ryder + Halak + 2nd"?

Domenic is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.