HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#5 -- Flyers at Sharks -- October 18, 2008 -- 10:30 PM (ET)

Old
10-19-2008, 10:36 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
I changed my avatar to see if that helps.

One thing I forgot to ask: Last night, I noticed Richards and a few others sporting the 'playoff' beards. Does anyone know why? Are they not shaving until they win a game?
i think i might change mine too. this is one of the few times that i've had a flyers avvie, and we're just awful. now to look through my extensive collection of forum avatars...

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 10:42 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Niitty got number 3 on the sportscenter top 10
Well whoop-dee-do, that's nice. But they didn't mention the ****ing windmill save attempt for the 4th goal he gave up. WTF is with him flopping everywhere. Everytime Nitty plays he's bound to give up at least one goal where he makes a stupid bizzare save attempt that looks like it should be a huge save but it always misses.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 10:53 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
John Stevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorthon109 View Post
Really? u lost all 5? bc of John stevens?
Yep.....Even one of the guys on NHL on the Fly (NHL Network) mentioned last night that he believes the players are starting to tune him out

Even during the odd time that they do play inspired, they still look like they have no clue how to play organized hockey.....they look like my friends and I used to look playing pick up hockey (except they are all individually much more talented )

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I just don't see how Holmgren can say job security isn't in play here? Does he watch the same games we do.

BTW if Briere is going to be at C, at least put Richards with Lupul.
Blind loyalty......its the devil

I actually love the Hartnell Richards Downie line, it depends on what role you want Richards to play at even strength......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I've said it before in one other place and I'll say it here. It's got to be a Peter Lukko thing. I'm sure that Lukko is the one telling Holmgren that a change won't be made until every other avenue is exhausted. I know during the ten game slide last season, Holmgren wanted to replace Stevens, but Lukko put the kaibosh on it.

Lupul should have been Richards even when Briere was on the wing. The top line should have been Gagne - Richards - Lupul and then the second line should have been Upshall - Carter - Briere with the third being Hartnell - Metropolit - Knuble and the fourth being Cote - Downie - Asham.
I dont mind those lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegale View Post
Did anyone not have any reaction to the sharks OT goal? It's sad when I know what's coming before it even happens to the point where I had no emotions invested into the game.
Nope, fell asleep during the beginning of the 3rd....I never fall asleep during hockey, that says something

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
If the Flyers start playing normal after the Phillies are done their thing, it will be a strange coincidence
Actuallly it should be the opposite, they should be playing great now cause all the focus is on the Phillies, no pressure

Does anyone still think Sbisa should stay here????

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:47 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
I don't know that he won't be fired, but I think it's extreamly unlikely that he will be fired in the next few days. Per Tim Panaccio's artical today...

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...796&feedID=717
In all fairness to Holmgren whats he going to say? Yea if the team struggles we're gonna can our coach? THAT'LL get em going.....I wouldn't be surprised to see a call up from the phantoms.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
BTW if Briere is going to be at C, at least put Richards with Lupul.
Yeah, if you're reluctant to play Downie, don't put him on your captain's wing and hold the whole line back all night (I think Richards had low ES time last night). Lupul and Richards need to be put back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
Thatís a good point, but if you think Stevenís has gotten over Downies mistakes from the playoffs last year your mistaken. Another thing is some players respond differently to different actions. I know plenty of kids who turned it up a notch when benched or berated in front of the team. Other kids when treated that way would roll over and play dead. Just hope our coach and staff know the difference.

Not defending our coach here as I think itís time to say goodbye to him. While were at it bring in a D man with some grit and experience.
Yeah, it seems he's not over any of the bad things Downie does. Never mind the chances he creates or the penalties his line draws (one of our two powerplays came from a Hartnell and Downie cycling show). He makes one mistake that everyone in the NHL makes and he rides the pine. Unacceptable.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Kaktus*

I thought Richards was almost crying in post game show.

Stevens was his regular self. We need to do better, got our selfs into problem on PK.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 12:42 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Actuallly it should be the opposite, they should be playing great now cause all the focus is on the Phillies, no pressure

Does anyone still think Sbisa should stay here????
I was thinking the Phillies are stealing the Flyer's mojo.

Sbisa is no worse than Kukonen, and will improve

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 12:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Well whoop-dee-do, that's nice. But they didn't mention the ****ing windmill save attempt for the 4th goal he gave up. WTF is with him flopping everywhere. Everytime Nitty plays he's bound to give up at least one goal where he makes a stupid bizzare save attempt that looks like it should be a huge save but it always misses.

It's Lasse Kukkonen's fault.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I was thinking the Phillies are stealing the Flyer's mojo.

Kid is not better.
Takes penalties, makes dumb decisions with a puck, easy to bump off the puck, turns over the puck but at the same time throws big hits, gets back into d-sive position. He is trying to make it work.

I am not blaminng him but lets not talk about how good he is. Sending him back for a year wont be a huge mistake.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 10-19-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old
10-19-2008, 01:04 PM
blah

Quote:
The WHL is a great place for him to improve.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 01:42 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

I was at the game and it was great. A lot of Flyers fans there. Many with Roenick jerseys. Good hockey fans are welcome, as long as they aren't Red Wing fans

Nittymaki totally Nabokov'd Cheechoo. I really like Richards play (but I despise Hartnell for reasons before he was a Flyer). He is a beast out there and for the first period and a half or so the Sharks were getting hit hard anytime they touched the puck. Once the hitting started going back the other way the game changed. Should be interesting next game. Coburn is a stud, I can't believe Atlanta traded him.

What is up with Biron? Was he sick or has Nitty just outplayed him to date? I know Nitty was sick a little while ago (xm204 is awesome for us west coasters who get no hockey talk)

TheGooooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 01:58 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
I was at the game and it was great. A lot of Flyers fans there. Many with Roenick jerseys. Good hockey fans are welcome, as long as they aren't Red Wing fans

Nittymaki totally Nabokov'd Cheechoo. I really like Richards play (but I despise Hartnell for reasons before he was a Flyer). He is a beast out there and for the first period and a half or so the Sharks were getting hit hard anytime they touched the puck. Once the hitting started going back the other way the game changed. Should be interesting next game. Coburn is a stud, I can't believe Atlanta traded him.

What is up with Biron? Was he sick or has Nitty just outplayed him to date? I know Nitty was sick a little while ago (xm204 is awesome for us west coasters who get no hockey talk)
Biron hasn't been playing real well--giving up a ton of goals in each game--not that they were all his fault. Stevens changed our lines and our d-pairings, I think he wanted to see if the team would respond playing in front of a different goalie as well.

As for Coburn, believe me we know how good he is and often laugh at how Atlanta
could have been so crazy.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2008 View Post
Yawn...too early in the season to panic. Think the Sharks and Stars both started slow last season, before ending up #2 and #4 or 5? in the playoffs.
Well, you're right they could still turn things around and make the playoffs. I believe they will, but they were hoping to win the division and this slide could cost them that. They are playing in one the toughest divisions so it's not going to be an easy climb for them.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:53 PM
blah

Panicking this early is one thing. Acknowledging that this team has some weaknesses and attempting to do something about them is another. The defense isn't good enough.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I thought Richards was almost crying in post game show.

Stevens was his regular self. We need to do better, got our selfs into problem on PK.
Yeah I feel bad for him. He played a good game, along with Nitty, Timonen and Briere.

It's true though, they need to stay the hell out of the penalty box. It is killing them. They lose so much energy having to kill 6 penalties in a row every ******* game! Stevens, discipline your f-ing players!!

I am dreading Weds. And Fri and Sat.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 05:11 PM
MountainHawk

A couple of weeks from now, either the Flyers will be back over .500, the Eagles will have past the Cowboys in the standings, and the Phillies will be World Champions or the Flyers will still be looking for their first win, the Eagles season will be over 3-5, and the Phils will just be National League champs.

Going to be a fun couple of weeks to be a Philadelphia fan.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
A couple of weeks from now, either the Flyers will be back over .500, the Eagles will have past the Cowboys in the standings, and the Phillies will be World Champions or the Flyers will still be looking for their first win, the Eagles season will be over 3-5, and the Phils will just be National League champs.

With or with out Stevens and Beruby?

Old
10-19-2008, 05:22 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:

Well, depends how you choose your allegiances. I'm not from the U.S. so I was able to freely choose my teams. However, the Indians didn't make it to the playoffs, the Knicks will probably suck for another year (haven't payed any close attention to basketball lately), and we all know how the Flyers are doing. At least the Buccaneers are doing O.K.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 05:23 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
With or with out Stevens and Beruby?
Holmgren isn't going to fire Stevens for some time yet.

I think there is a strong chance he cans some part of the assistant staff as a warning shot to the team, but unless Richards goes to Holmgren and tells me the players are revolting against Stevens (seems highly unlikely), I think Stevens will have this job until he is eliminated from postseason contention, at least.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 05:26 PM
McNasty

Not to mention if they do can stevens I don't think your going to see someone from the outside brought in, not mid season.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
This I agree with.

Quote:
I think there is a strong chance he cans some part of the assistant staff as a warning shot to the team, but unless Richards goes to Holmgren and tells me the players are revolting against Stevens (seems highly unlikely), I think Stevens will have this job until he is eliminated from postseason contention, at least.
This I don't.

You fire assistants that the head coach presumably vouched for over the summer? Gimme a break, that'll accomplish squat...and who are you going to replace them with? That's just peeling the band aid slowly, and a pathetic level of management if they were to do that.

If this team is still stumbling in November and December and actually missing the playoffs seems like a real possibility...Stevens will be gone, or at least should be. The hopes are too high and the talent at forward is too good for them to be missing the playoffs. Moreover, the trends were seeing to start the year are the same trends that we saw last year...the same trends that led to 10-game losing streaks and gross inconsistency throughout the season.

We should all pause to note that the only reason we were competitive last night is because our goalie played out of his mind and the forwards finished at a high rate on limited chances...sound familiar?

Sitting on our hands with a sinking ship until the spring would be absolutely against all previous examples of this teams approach to coaches under Snider.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Well thats ok.. We will talk about it in 3 games. I've got nothing but time.

Old
10-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Not to mention if they do can stevens I don't think your going to see someone from the outside brought in, not mid season.
Why not? If it's early enough, it's a perfectly good gig to come into.

You're talking about one of the premier jobs in the country...they always spend to the hilt, they draw well and have a passionate fanbase, and right now you have a very young and talented nucleus to be working with.

This is the ideal job to come into and coach at. It's not like the Isles where they're building from the ground up.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 05:50 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Yeah, we have to be one of the top-5 coaching jobs in hockey right now I would imagine.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 07:58 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Even the lowly Portland Winter Hawks have managed to win a game this season.

That is all.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote