HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latendresse playing well

Old
10-19-2008, 06:47 PM
theonejc

vCash: 500
i've def been very pleased with Lats play as of late, hopefully he can keep it up. I really love the chemistry on that line.

theonejc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Africa.

Where's that Oilers fan who loved to hate on Latendresse, huh?

Africa. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Habskrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa. View Post
Where's that Oilers fan who loved to hate on Latendresse, huh?
probably mocking the flames atm

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
hands of stone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
yeah, too bad he screwed up literally every golden opportunity to score tonight after his more talented line mates gifted him nearly surefire goals
How can you make comments like this after the game Lats had last night....

Seriously that whole line was ****ING FANTASTIC last night....

Please try to watch the game before you post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
I think he had his best game in a Habs uniform tonight, he was hitting, passing, shooting, backchecking.

that line is going well and those three feed off each other.
Clearly you watched the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Seeing Lats perform like that is great, not only because he's playing with great players but also because he really bring something to the line. Koivu and Tanguay aren't the biggest players around to say the least, and having a big body like Lats to create space and get pucks along the board can really help an open-ice player like Tanguay. Sure, Koivu has made a lot of wingers look good in his career and I'm not saying Lats isn't benefiting from his teammates, but he doesn't look out of place and he has a role that fit him well.
So did you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
what a game by Latendresse tonight againts the Yotes . He was one of the best players on the ice . I can't beleive how Latendresse worked hard during the summer ; powerskating , boxe lessons ,training to loose his fat and gaine muscles , and video sessions of Holmstrom to learn how to play in front of the net .
and you

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 08:46 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
yeah, too bad he screwed up literally every golden opportunity to score tonight after his more talented line mates gifted him nearly surefire goals
I realy wasnt expecting that post...I was realy surprised when I read this thread to see a post from mrCoffea that had nothing to do with reality...

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Habruti!

I think we are and will continue to see the same type of progression that a guy like Komisarek had in his 3rd season. Komi was somewhat lost until we partnered him with Markov and this is where he started shining. Its all a question of developing young talent.

Lats is progressing this year, as mentionned in previous post he is involved and he is realy part of the Koivu/Tanguay/Lats line he is not an add on and helps these guys as much as they help him. Koivu never had a two quality linemates that complement his game like he has now and I would not be suprised to see him hit the 80pts barrier this year (talking about Koivu here).

If Lats continues to progress he will be money in the playoff.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Excuse me?

Because alot of us hated/disliked/weren't impressed with what Latendresse brought on the ice last season, we don't know how to analyse hockey players? Latendresse did ALOT of things wrong last year, could he have benefited from playing on an offensively line last year? Obviously, problem is he never played well enough to EARN one. Sergei came in from right under his nose and stole Top 6 minutes from him, because he played a far more complete game.

Latendresse isn't last year's version with Tanguay & Koivu on his sides.. He last year's Latendresse, but quicker, smarter and far more aggressive. It's exactly what most of us "haters" said he needed to address. Weird huh.
Those type of responses is EXACTLY what i ment. Sergei's style of play mixed with his ability to adapt to any situation veru quickly guaranted him moe success then Latendresse at the get go, what alot of people felt of of understanding is that

1. He was playing with defensive minded players, so as a finisher who needs to play far in the offensive zone to do hit, or protect or stand in front of the net for rebounds, he was completely useless

2.It's extremely rare that you see any kind of powerforward of 20 years old play in the NHL, nevermind scoring 16 goals with Maxime Lappierre and Matrhieu Dandenault of all players he could of played with

3. It was very obvious that Latendresse had some flaws that were correctable(skating, defensive play, passing) and that his potential was huge, and there was NO REASON WHATSOEVER to bash him like alot of people did this summer, those who did it should seriously hide in a hole, after Carey Price and Andrei Kostitsyn, it's about time some people here start getting a clue that Habs management devolop there players based on a plan, every prospect we have gets a better year after year on a certain aspect of there game, Trevor Timmins, Don Lever and Scott Livingston don't spend there summers crossing there fingers hoping that there players will start panning out, they work with them, our coaching staff in Montreal is amazing

Pax Macioretty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:13 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
3. It was very obvious that Latendresse had some flaws that were correctable(skating, defensive play, passing) and that his potential was huge, and there was NO REASON WHATSOEVER to bash him like alot of people did this summer, those who did it should seriously hide in a hole, after Carey Price and Andrei Kostitsyn, it's about time some people here start getting a clue that Habs management devolop there players based on a plan, every prospect we have gets a better year after year on a certain aspect of there game, Trevor Timmins, Don Lever and Scott Livingston don't spend there summers crossing there fingers hoping that there players will start panning out, they work with them, our coaching staff in Montreal is amazing
Indeed.

The Habs do not have a "Bossing around" staff. They have a coaching staff. They teach, direct, and help.

An example of a bossing around staff, Calgary.

Result? Fail.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 02:22 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

I was really on my ass against the Coyotes when he came out of the left corner in the Coyotes zone and nobody could take the puck away from him. For the first time I saw him use his body like a genuine power forward like John LeClair and Cam Neely used to do. I realised that for Gui it will always be a matter of confidence and when he's happy he's like a different player.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Maverik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I was really on my ass against the Coyotes when he came out of the left corner in the Coyotes zone and nobody could take the puck away from him. For the first time I saw him use his body like a genuine power forward like John LeClair and Cam Neely used to do. I realised that for Gui it will always be a matter of confidence and when he's happy he's like a different player.
Yea, great sequence.. they had 2 guys on him and after fighting along the board, he still ended up coming out of there with the puck... like a true powerforward

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 09:54 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

That was a great moment for Lats coming out of the corner with the puck like that. I always thought the talent was there but now he is playing with the confidence to match. The little extra speed he picked up during the summer isn't hurting either.

He's reminding me of AKost last year, not in the style of play but just how he became more comfortable and confident in his abillities and realised he could be a gamebreaker if he wanted it enough. To quote Rick Jenerette "these guys are scary good!"

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:18 AM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
The kid is faster, more involved in the play and is gaining confidence game after game.. I think you have to be blind to not see the huge improvement in his game this year..
You'd have to be blind not to see this same skillset last year.

Yes he's a little more polished now, a little faster, his positioning has improved, but he's still got the same basic skillset as the previous years, he's always had great puck control, great passing and a solid shot.

All we're seeing now is slightly faster footspeed, and better overall awareness of the flow of the game.

It's funny seeing so many people try and claim that he's improved by some huge margin, I'm assuming to try and justify their bashing of him in the past. The reality is he's had some subtle improvements, but has always played well when put on the top 2 lines and this is just a continuation of what he did in the last two years.

His improved positioning is a credit to the minutes spent on the checking line last year, a great move by Carbo to try and shore up one of his main weaknesses. But again, this is nothing new, he was playing this way at the end of the year last year...nobody should be surprised that Lats is "no longer a defensive liability", that was his main improvement last year and it was pretty obvious for anyone willing to look at him objectively.

I will say one thing, at least this kid is finally getting some damn respect around here

Last edited by yukoner: 10-20-2008 at 10:35 AM.
yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Blades 0f Steel

I think we should stop calling him Guillaume Latendresse. For some reason() I have a hunch that if we made his name more...Canadian, he'd get a lot more respect.

From now on I'm calling him Billy Tenderness.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 11:28 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
hands of stone
latendresse has good hands man... but you might end up seeing them more since he plays with koivu and tanguay...

he made a couple of nice cheeky plays last game... i'm looking forward for more...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote