HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you want Gainey to do this UFA season? (Habs Trade/UFA/RFA proposals here)

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Ok so now explain how are we gonna re-sign S.Kostitsyn, C.Price if we re-sign Koivu, Tanguay, Kovalev...
unless they take paycuts I doubt it would be possible!
Kostitsyn and Price are only RFA's in the summer of 2010. But if you insist, it could look something like:

2010-11 Habs - cap hit guess
Price 4,000,000.00
Halak 2,000,000.00
Markov 5,750,000.00
Hamrlik 5,500,000.00
Komisarek 5,000,000.00
Gorges 1,100,000.00
O'Byrne 941,666.00
Weber 875,000.00
McDonagh 1,000,000.00
Plekanec 4,500,000.00
Koivu 5,000,000.00
Maxwell 850,000.00
Chipchura 1,000,000.00
A. Kostitsyn 3,250,000.00
Higgins 3,750,000.00
Latendresse 1,500,000.00
Kovalev or Tanguay 5,500,000.00
S. Kostitsyn 2,500,000.00
D'Agostini 600,000.00
Lapierre 800,000.00
Stewart 500,000.00
Laraque 1,500,000.00
Pacioretty 875,000.00

Total = 58,291,666.00

If you need cap space, you trade Halak and sign a cheap backup and save 1.5 M ish. The following summer the Markov/Hamrlik/Laraque contracts expire, opening up significant room.

Old
10-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

vCash: 500
Our UFA's this summer.

So, how the hell is this going to work?

Kovalev
Komisarek
Koivu
Tanguay
Lang
etc..

How do you see this playing out?

Honestly, we'll have to see how Lang plays all year but I've been very surprised with his play so far. I don't see him coming back next year though. Right when we acquired him I saw it as a short term fix.

The 2 MUST-SIGN'S are Kovalev and Komisarek imo.

Koivu i'm hoping will be back as well. I just hope he doesn't ask for too much money.

Tanguay..it'll be interesting to see how much he'll get. I wasn't impressed with him last night but I knew it would take awhile to get adjusted. I can honestly hee him getting 50 assists this year.

What do you guys think?

Old
10-13-2008, 02:17 PM
onemorecup*

Kovalaev, Koivu,lang,tanguay

for cap reasons , there is no chance all 4 come back next year . Komi, Price and Higgins will get healthy raises . Patrice, Begin, Cube , and Kostopolous should be gone. Who stays of the top 4 ?

I say Tanguay if he has a good year is the only likely returnee. Bob will only sign whoever makes sense moving forward . I dont see the others back , if Higgins and Komi get 8 mil combined , plus the year later Price may get 5-6 , Bob will not afford them all, and he will not sign a player if he doesnt nake sense moving forward .
I see Bob making a big push for an impact ( GABORICK ) player sometime this year or next. Koivu , Lang and Kovy are in thier decline years . Also the cap will drop next year , with the can $ and the US economy taking a beating.

Old
10-13-2008, 02:20 PM
kris
No JDru for TB - yet

First off, Price isn't a free agent until 2010. Agreed with the raises to Higgins and Komi though. I don`t see Higgins making too much more of a raise though, barring a big season.

I think Gainey keeps Koivu and one of either Tanguay or Kovalev. If Tangs is a good fit, he`ll probably try to keep him on a longer term basis as he is younger than all the others. It is possible that all three come back with some pay cuts (Koivu and Kovalev).

It`s pretty obvious that Lang won`t be back. (See-Smolinski, Brian or Bonk, Radek).

Old
10-16-2008, 05:35 PM
HabsSlappy

Here is the way I see it. I don't think we are going to be able to keep Lang unless he were to take a pay cut. So I am going to assume he is gone.
We would have to convert someone to a centre, whether it be Higgins, S. Kostitsyn, Pacioretty, but I would prefer Higgins because of his grit and we don't need another small centre.
I also think that we could be able to sign Chipchura cheap if we give him a one way contract.

A.Kostitsyn (3.25) - Plekanec (4.00) - Kovalev (5.50)
Tanguay (5.25) - Koivu (4.75) - Latendresse (2.00)
Pacioretty (0.85) - Higgins (3.50) - S. Kostitsyn (0.82)
Chipchura (0.75) - Lapierre (0.69) - Laraque (1.50)
Kostopoulos (1.00)

Markov (5.75) - Komisarek (5.00)
Hamrlik (5.50) - Weber (0.85)
O'Byrne (0.94) - Gorges (1.10)
Valentenko/Emelin (0.85)

Price (2.20)
Halak (0.78)

Forwards = 33.86M
Defense = 19.89
Goalie = 2.98

Total = 56.83M

I don't know if my salary projections are correct as it is possible that Komi, Koivu, Tanguay and Kovalev may command more. I am hoping that a successful season will allow the Habs to get some "home team discounts". I hate to see it, but I see Higgins being moved in the offseason when he takes The Habs to arbitration (which I think he will).

Now the big problem is that I don't expect the salary cap to go up, it will probably go down actually based on the current state of the economy. I guess we will see if the current CBA works, making player salaries go down as league revenues go down. The 3 seasons have only seen revenues go up, so we have seen player salaries go up as well. Will the players get greedy and compare salary offers in a down year to what other players got in up years...Will be interesting to see what plays out.

Old
10-19-2008, 11:13 PM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

----------------------2008-2009----2009-2010
Total Cap hit--------------55-----------48,635
--------------------------Out------------In

Tanguay----------------5,375
Koivu--------------------4,75-----------4,75
Kovalev------------------4,5-------------5
Lang---------------------4
Komisarek----------------1,9-------------5,5
Higgins-------------------1,9-------------3,5
Plekanec-----------------1,8 -------------4,5
Latendresse--------------0,85------------1,9
Begin--------------------1,3
Dandenault-------------- 1,75
Bouillon------------------1,875
Brisebois------------------0,75
Cullimore------------------0,64
Salmalainenen-------------0,125
---------------------------------------------------
Total--------------------31,515---------25,15

After signing Koivu, Kovalev, Pleckanec, Higgins, Komi and Tender, we still have about 10 millions (if Cap at 58) to sign other FAs. We could then keep bouillon/Tanguay or go after the market.

Old
10-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
----------------------2008-2009----2009-2010
Total Cap hit--------------55-----------48,635
--------------------------Out------------In

Tanguay----------------5,375
Koivu--------------------4,75-----------4,75
Kovalev------------------4,5-------------5
Lang---------------------4
Komisarek----------------1,9-------------5,5
Higgins-------------------1,9-------------3,5
Plekanec-----------------1,8 -------------4,5
Latendresse--------------0,85------------1,9
Begin--------------------1,3
Dandenault-------------- 1,75
Bouillon------------------1,875
Brisebois------------------0,75
Cullimore------------------0,64
Salmalainenen-------------0,125
---------------------------------------------------
Total--------------------31,515---------25,15

After signing Koivu, Kovalev, Pleckanec, Higgins, Komi and Tender, we still have about 10 millions (if Cap at 58) to sign other FAs. We could then keep bouillon/Tanguay or go after the market.
Nut quite 10 million.... Brisebois, Begin, Dandy, Bouillion, Lang, Tanguay... thats 6 roster spots to replace... if done with prospects/AHL guys will cost you at least 4.5 million.... assume cap hits averaging 750K.

So you have about 5.5 million left... ahh... perfect to keep Tanguay ... this even works if the cap is only 57.2 million... as you know longer have a rookie taking Tangs roster spot. Tiy could give Tanguay 6.

Old
10-20-2008, 12:16 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Kovalev and Koivu would be one year deals.... At that point we see what the cap is at and maybe one of them retires with their cup rings....
I could effectively see Koivu retiring in hero if we win the Stanley cup but I think he said he would like to play another year after this one so I think its possible Gainey resign him 1 year.. As for Kovy, I really dont know what Gainey plans to do but I would be shocked if he resigns him for more than 2 years.. Tanguay is a keeper, fill a need at the point on the PP I really love what he did for us so far this season.. Plus, he is a Quebecer..

Old
10-20-2008, 09:39 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Nut quite 10 million.... Brisebois, Begin, Dandy, Bouillion, Lang, Tanguay... thats 6 roster spots to replace... if done with prospects/AHL guys will cost you at least 4.5 million.... assume cap hits averaging 750K.

So you have about 5.5 million left... ahh... perfect to keep Tanguay ... this even works if the cap is only 57.2 million... as you know longer have a rookie taking Tangs roster spot. Tiy could give Tanguay 6.
You're right. Anyway, this shows that we don't have to choose between our stars, we can keep them all, unless they want to leave.

I'm even sure Kovy would take a discount at 8 million/ 2 years, that would give us some extra room under the cap

Old
10-26-2008, 12:38 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
I could effectively see Koivu retiring in hero if we win the Stanley cup but I think he said he would like to play another year after this one so I think its possible Gainey resign him 1 year.. As for Kovy, I really dont know what Gainey plans to do but I would be shocked if he resigns him for more than 2 years.. Tanguay is a keeper, fill a need at the point on the PP I really love what he did for us so far this season.. Plus, he is a Quebecer..
Koivu, if things keep on going like they are with Tanguay right now, is not going to retire any time soon. He is playing with the best winger he's had in his career, and he'll stay since the team is competitive for the first time in years.

Anyway. Gainey said it himself. It's "what have you done for me lately" philosophy this summer. He's going to resign the best players, that's it that's all.

Old
11-06-2008, 02:35 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Pednault have written in one of its latest chronics that the salary cap is expected to increase to around 59M$ next season...

If it's the case, Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay can all be re-signed without any problem.

Old
11-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Pednault have written in one of its latest chronics that the salary cap is expected to increase to around 59M$ next season...

If it's the case, Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay can all be re-signed without any problem.
Will the cap really go up with financial crisis? I doubt it.

Old
11-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Maxpac

There's no better year to trade Higgins then this one.

At his age and the raise he will be demanding in his next contract around( 4 mil), i think we are much better off (salary cap wise to trade him while his value is high for a good young D. We'l be able,as said in other threads, to get fair cap hits out of Koivu and Kovalev, but Tanguay will probably have a cap hit around 5.5 next year if we sign him, and it might also be close to Komi's too, both are still young and valuable to the future of the team.

Dandenault, Lang, Bouillon, Bégin, Kostopoulos and Brisebois will probably all be gone next year, that's ¸roughfully 10.5 mil, it's not alot with the number of players with raise coming, personnally i would much rather give (next year) Guillaume Latendresse a top 6 job permanently, put Maxwell and Pacioretty on the 3rd line and go get a D ala Jay Bouwneester, i think we can pull off that team in a cap world, what do you guys think?

Old
11-07-2008, 12:00 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Don't do it Bob, thanks. Higgins is the epitome of what the Hab's persona is all about. Speed, skill, and grit.

Old
11-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Gainey#1*

Higgins is going nowhere.

Bank on it.

He is the ultimate "Gainey" type of player.

Old
11-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'm not the least bit worried about Gainey trading Higgins, nor about him re-signing him at a reasonable rate. We have ample payroll room to keep our team intact, so there's no issue here. Higgins won't be traded.

Old
11-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Haddock

Can someone start a petition or some kind of list of people who don't want to see Higgins go, like, ever. I'll be the first to sign it!

Old
11-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Judge Sauer*

Didn't read the post, but as a counter arguement:
There's no better year to keep Higgins as we contend for the Cup.
Also, now that i read the post:
Kostopolous will be signed for one more year. I don't see two rookies on the third permanently.

ps
Higgins will be with the Habs for years, count on it and stop trying to trade him away in proposals

And as Ape Clutch below says, we have to keep the quality players around to mold the next generation. otherwise without the guidance of the current role players that have been around, the team takes a step back. The teams been too long in the making to start regressing now for the sake of trading.

Last edited by Judge Sauer*: 11-07-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old
11-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Continuity

This is the Final Phase of the plan.

Continuity

We drafted, developed, inserted players into the lineup as part of the Rebuilding Phase.

Now we have to start thinking about continuity and maintaining this level of play with the players that we have, keep the young ones coming in, knowing when to let go of your older players etc.

I would think myself that keeping Higgins would be part of this 2nd/Final/Perpetual Phase. At 3 Million dollars Higgins is half as expensive as Kovalev (if he get's his 6 million).

If you want to talk 'Salary Cap'

Higgins (3) Tanguay (5.5) D'Agostini (RFA) is cheaper then

Kovalev (6) Tanguay and D'Agostini

some might even argue you can't keep Kovalev and Tanguay on your team.

What you want to do is to maintain and even improve if you can this level of depth and Talent. Sometimes that means letting go of your older players, something Detroit has managed to do which is why they are still a great team.

Old
11-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Davebo
beep beep

I like the team we're icing, especially now that the lines are coming together. Trade some depth or prospects/picks for another decent D, maybe. Brisbois* only to be wheeled out onto the ice in extreme emergencies.

Just because it's the perfect time for a thing doesn't mean you have to do it.

Old
11-07-2008, 12:11 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
At his age and the raise he will be demanding in his next contract around( 4 mil), i think we are much better off (salary cap wise to trade him while his value is high for a good young D. We'l be able,as said in other threads, to get fair cap hits out of Koivu and Kovalev, but Tanguay will probably have a cap hit around 5.5 next year if we sign him, and it might also be close to Komi's too, both are still young and valuable to the future of the team.

Dandenault, Lang, Bouillon, Bégin, Kostopoulos and Brisebois will probably all be gone next year, that's ¸roughfully 10.5 mil, it's not alot with the number of players with raise coming, personnally i would much rather give (next year) Guillaume Latendresse a top 6 job permanently, put Maxwell and Pacioretty on the 3rd line and go get a D ala Jay Bouwneester, i think we can pull off that team in a cap world, what do you guys think?
Come on..

Higgins is going nowhere..

Kovy and Lang are possibly gone after this year, it will clear enough space on the cap..

Higgins should be signed around 3 millions, I doubt he gets more than Andrei..

Old
11-07-2008, 12:14 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I'm not the least bit worried about Gainey trading Higgins, nor about him re-signing him at a reasonable rate. We have ample payroll room to keep our team intact, so there's no issue here. Higgins won't be traded.
Check your numbers again and keep in mind that we have to re-sign Price in 2010...

You'll see that Gainey won't be able to keep the team intact past next year...

Higgins will probably cost too much for what he brings... sadly.

It's either him, or Koivu, or Kovy, or Tanguay... I doubt Pleks will be moved...

At the end of the year, we'll know who to keep and who to let go... and Higgins could fetch a very decent return, which might make Gainey think twice... For now, it's too early to tell.

Old
11-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Check your numbers again and keep in mind that we have to re-sign Price in 2010...

You'll see that Gainey won't be able to keep the team intact past next year...

Higgins will probably cost too much for what he brings... sadly.

It's either him, or Koivu, or Kovy, or Tanguay... I doubt Pleks will be moved...

At the end of the year, we'll know who to keep and who to let go... and Higgins could fetch a very decent return, which might make Gainey think twice... For now, it's too early to tell.
Price will have to be signed by the summer of 2011 when he becomes an RFA.
Kovalev will be 38 by then, Koivu will be 36, Hamrlik will be 37 going into UFA.
3 Years is a long time away and other players will come up the system by then and some of the current players will emerge as the new leaders of the team and Higgins will be one of them.
Things are not as doom and gloom when it comes to signing players as they would like to make it sound. We have Gainey as GM, not Lou when the cap first started, not Burke with his insane spending where he has to trade players cheap and we won't have to clean house like a couple other teams have. Gainey's not the type to plan just for the next year, no GM does that if he wants to keep his job. You make a long term plan and keep space open for any possibilities and go at it from there.

Old
11-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Maxpac

It's pretty clear that most of you haven't bothered actually reading my post, i never said that Higgins sucked or anything.... It's not about wanting to get rid of higgins, it's about keeping our 3 UFA forwards who are better players

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Come on..

Higgins is going nowhere..

Kovy and Lang are possibly gone after this year, it will clear enough space on the cap..

Higgins should be signed around 3 millions, I doubt he gets more than Andrei..
So beetween Higgins and kovalev, you let go of kovalev?

Old
11-07-2008, 12:29 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Sauer View Post
Price will have to be signed by the summer of 2011 when he becomes an RFA.
Kovalev will be 38 by then, Koivu will be 36, Hamrlik will be 37 going into UFA.
3 Years is a long time away and other players will come up the system by then and some of the current players will emerge as the new leaders of the team and Higgins will be one of them.
Things are not as doom and gloom when it comes to signing players as they would like to make it sound. We have Gainey as GM, not Lou when the cap first started, not Burke with his insane spending where he has to trade players cheap and we won't have to clean house like a couple other teams have. Gainey's not the type to plan just for the next year, no GM does that if he wants to keep his job. You make a long term plan and keep space open for any possibilities and go at it from there.
Since when does a rookie contract last 4 years?

He's a RFA in the summer of 2010... and I doubt either one of Koivu, Kovalev or Tanguay accepts a one year deal.

We could always trade Hammer in the last year of his contract, but that will only prove that we "can't keep the team intact"...

Closed Thread