HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

WCHA Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-02-2008, 12:47 AM
  #26
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
[/B]

I could take a crack at that question but "my boys" are in Madison and RabidHusky did not do the preview. Maybe my dog avatar and rabidness threw you off. Bucky's offense will be nicely balanced, however
UGH, looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

Well since we're on the subject of Bucky, then I'll ask...who do YOU think is poise for a breakout this year? I'll go with John Mitchell.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 02:46 PM
  #27
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
UGH, looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

Well since we're on the subject of Bucky, then I'll ask...who do YOU think is poise for a breakout this year? I'll go with John Mitchell.
This one I can field Mitchell needs to break out as well as use his formidable size or Chris Hickey will be getting the minutes instead. My gut tells me Patrick Johnson will have a huge year, maybe lead the team in scoring, after making a favorable impression at the Habs prospect camp. I also think Derek Stepan will be an impact player his 1st year.

I feel pretty good about the offensive depth and look for McDonagh and Smith to assert themselves on the backline this year and I won't be shocked to see Gudmundson challenge Connelly for starting Goalie. It'll be a great year if the players jibe together.

RabidBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 11:31 PM
  #28
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
RabidBadger:

Well, I think many people will talk about the great young defense, and no doubt they should be as good as advertised, what I like about the Badgers coming into the year that maybe not a whole lot of other people are talking about is their balance up front. Sure they don't have that superstar-caliber type of scorer in Kyle Turris this year, but they have plenty of guys that can spread out the scoring, and this includes from the blueline. Considering how tough the WCHA always is and with the Badgers facing a non-conference opponent like Boston College this year (BTW, what a way to open the season!), balanced scoring IMO is going to be one of the keys to Bucky's success this year.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 03:15 AM
  #29
mmitchell19
Registered User
 
mmitchell19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ellisville, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
Wisconsin Comments / Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
This one I can field Mitchell needs to break out as well as use his formidable size or Chris Hickey will be getting the minutes instead. My gut tells me Patrick Johnson will have a huge year, maybe lead the team in scoring, after making a favorable impression at the Habs prospect camp. I also think Derek Stepan will be an impact player his 1st year.

I feel pretty good about the offensive depth and look for McDonagh and Smith to assert themselves on the backline this year and I won't be shocked to see Gudmundson challenge Connelly for starting Goalie. It'll be a great year if the players jibe together.
My Blues tangled with the Maple Leafs twice during the preseason, and the vibe I got from Leafs message boards was that J. Mitchell was looking good for them as a 4th-line option. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Also, out of curiosity...did Travis Erstad's decision to play at UW-Stevens Point even register on the UW-Madison radar for the upcoming season? It caused a mini-furor among the Blues' faithful.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 03:33 AM
  #30
Rabid Husky
Registered User
 
Rabid Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,860
vCash: 643
WCHA coaches and Media have the exact same poll

1. CC
2. UND
3. DU
4. UMN
4. UW
6. SCSU
7. MSUM
8. UMD
9. MTU
10. UAA

MN and UW picked tied for 4th in both polls, amazing.

INCH sees it a different way
1. CC
2. DU
3. SCSU
4. UW
5. MSUM
6. UMN
7. UND
8. UMD
9. MTU
10. UAA

http://www.grandforksherald.com/arti...9b33356c5b5a6d

http://www.badgerbeat.com/news/article/id/307187?page=2

http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Arch.../wcha_0701.htm

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:41 AM
  #31
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell19 View Post
My Blues tangled with the Maple Leafs twice during the preseason, and the vibe I got from Leafs message boards was that J. Mitchell was looking good for them as a 4th-line option. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Also, out of curiosity...did Travis Erstad's decision to play at UW-Stevens Point even register on the UW-Madison radar for the upcoming season? It caused a mini-furor among the Blues' faithful.
That's a different John Mitchell that plays for Toronto. I think he's Canadian and played Juniors. The Badger Mitchell is a home grown player.

The fans on the Badger boards, who usually know player movements before the players themselves, were all over the Erstad situation in September. It's too bad from a fans standpoint because he is the type of player they love in Madison and it will surely delay his development, but no one really held it against him because Madison didn't seem like a good fit for him. After Hagemo, Gagner and Wiercioch UW fans are pretty used to high profile verbal commitments bailing.

Yeah, RabidHusky, the media is not showing any love for St. Cloud. I like INCHs assessment better (I think they come here to read our posts for their material, personally). If the defense is reliable 2nd in conference wouldn't be out of the question.


Last edited by RabidBadger: 10-03-2008 at 02:58 PM.
RabidBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 01:00 PM
  #32
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,229
vCash: 5775
HF's WCHA Season Preview

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:32 PM
  #33
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
This and that on opening day

It's a pretty exciting week of non-ceference games for the W this week. The city of Bah-stin will be visited by NoDak and 'Sconsin to play BU and BC respectively. The marquee matchup will be DU and Notre Dame. The Superior Cup should be entertaining with UMD and Tech playing their CCHA counterparts LSSU and Northern MI. The others I'm just too lazy to write about. I hope the WCHA keeps scheduling these tough non-con games. It's good for the sport and may be a good primer to see different styles when the playoffs role around.

Overated in the league: Richard Bachman: you'd think the guy cured cancer after saving a kitten stuck in a tree the way the press gushes about him. You'd have to pick up a romance novel to see such unabashed affection directed at a man. Okay, he's pretty good, I'm just sick of reading about him.

Underated: Jase Weslosky, Rob Nolan and Mike Zacharias- these guys put up stellar numbers in net on teams that were no where near deep as CC was last year. I look for Weslosky to be near the top in all categories with an improved defence.

Overated: Chad Rau- I'm only overating his short handed goals from last year. The CC PK was so good Rau could cherry pick and get breakaways at will. He's a hell of a player and Badger fans have nighmares about him, but the shorties were overhyped last year.

Underated: Tyler Bozak was the man shorthanded last year. He gets plenty of press otherwise, but everyone was taking about Rau being the PK king last year.

Overated: North Dakota. My pal (except weekends UW and NoDak lay), Dakota Sioux might take exception to this one. I think #4 is a little generous in the rankings and done out of respect. There are big questions in the defense, goaltending, and offensive depth. If there is a team I am familiar with almost as much as Wisc. it's NoDak (know thy enemy!) I could see the team coming together at the end of the season and squeaking into the playoffs, but with their youth they are a couple years from being a major contender.

Underated: Minnesota State. They have the same team coming back and no real glaring weaknesses. They are not getting much respect from the polls, however.

Overated: Badger defense. Oh yeah, they have 3 first round picks but they are young. McBain and McDonagh are everything they say they are. Gouloubef is very solid as well. They only have one junior and the rest of them are frosh and sophs. Brendan Smith sat hald the year with an injury and Jake Gardiner is recently converted from a forward. If everyone came back next year it would be one of the best defenses the Badgers ever fielded, but McBain and McDonagh are likely gone.

Underated: St. Cloud defense. there are no big names and Garrett Raboin is the only offensive catalyst, but the huskies have an experienced group with good size.

That's all for this week. Good luck to everyones respective team.

RabidBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 10:21 PM
  #34
Dakota Sioux
Registered User
 
Dakota Sioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: JAMESTOWN,ND
Country: United States
Posts: 10,689
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
It's a pretty exciting week of non-ceference games for the W this week. The city of Bah-stin will be visited by NoDak and 'Sconsin to play BU and BC respectively. The marquee matchup will be DU and Notre Dame. The Superior Cup should be entertaining with UMD and Tech playing their CCHA counterparts LSSU and Northern MI. The others I'm just too lazy to write about. I hope the WCHA keeps scheduling these tough non-con games. It's good for the sport and may be a good primer to see different styles when the playoffs role around.

Overated in the league: Richard Bachman: you'd think the guy cured cancer after saving a kitten stuck in a tree the way the press gushes about him. You'd have to pick up a romance novel to see such unabashed affection directed at a man. Okay, he's pretty good, I'm just sick of reading about him.

Underated: Jase Weslosky, Rob Nolan and Mike Zacharias- these guys put up stellar numbers in net on teams that were no where near deep as CC was last year. I look for Weslosky to be near the top in all categories with an improved defence.

Overated: Chad Rau- I'm only overating his short handed goals from last year. The CC PK was so good Rau could cherry pick and get breakaways at will. He's a hell of a player and Badger fans have nighmares about him, but the shorties were overhyped last year.

Underated: Tyler Bozak was the man shorthanded last year. He gets plenty of press otherwise, but everyone was taking about Rau being the PK king last year.

Overated: North Dakota. My pal (except weekends UW and NoDak lay), Dakota Sioux might take exception to this one. I think #4 is a little generous in the rankings and done out of respect. There are big questions in the defense, goaltending, and offensive depth. If there is a team I am familiar with almost as much as Wisc. it's NoDak (know thy enemy!) I could see the team coming together at the end of the season and squeaking into the playoffs, but with their youth they are a couple years from being a major contender.

Underated: Minnesota State. They have the same team coming back and no real glaring weaknesses. They are not getting much respect from the polls, however.

Overated: Badger defense. Oh yeah, they have 3 first round picks but they are young. McBain and McDonagh are everything they say they are. Gouloubef is very solid as well. They only have one junior and the rest of them are frosh and sophs. Brendan Smith sat hald the year with an injury and Jake Gardiner is recently converted from a forward. If everyone came back next year it would be one of the best defenses the Badgers ever fielded, but McBain and McDonagh are likely gone.

Underated: St. Cloud defense. there are no big names and Garrett Raboin is the only offensive catalyst, but the huskies have an experienced group with good size.

That's all for this week. Good luck to everyones respective team.
So far you are spot on but the ship is still afloat.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:10 AM
  #35
Rabid Husky
Registered User
 
Rabid Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,860
vCash: 643
Yes I know it's just Mercyhurst but 14 goals in a weekend, an 8 point weekend from Roe and 11 points from the D-men including 3 goals is very encouraging, especially with SCSU missing 2 important freshman D-men in Rioux and Lauridsen.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:06 AM
  #36
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
So far you are spot on but the ship is still afloat.
I think I pretty well nailed it with The Badger D as well. 8 breakaways on Friday night! That could have been a 8-4 game but for Connelly's heroics. They looked as bad as the football team's defense.

Next week should be a good meter for where SCSU stands, Rabid-H.

RabidBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 02:58 AM
  #37
Rabid Husky
Registered User
 
Rabid Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,860
vCash: 643
WCHA players of the week are as follows.
Offense-Swanson SCSU
Defense-Stalock UMD
Freshman-Salazaar-DU

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 09:59 PM
  #38
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,229
vCash: 5775
3 quick goals, and Wisconsin has put DU on upset watch.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 11:08 PM
  #39
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovis, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,171
vCash: 500
I don't feel so bad about Tech's 1-2 start, seeing that NoDak has started off 0-3...

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 12:06 AM
  #40
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
3 quick goals, and Wisconsin has put DU on upset watch.
Hate to burst your bubble, dear but DU won 6-5.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 09:54 AM
  #41
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,229
vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Hate to burst your bubble, dear but DU won 6-5.
Not my bubble, I'm not a fan of either team

I fell asleep though when it was 4-2. That sucked.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 01:58 AM
  #42
Rabid Husky
Registered User
 
Rabid Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,860
vCash: 643
Wished I would have seen a better effort from my boys this weekend but to look that bad and only lose each game by one goal is ok for this time of the year.
Gotta pick up the intensity and pass a hell of a lot better and quicker on the PP, too much holding the puck allowed for some easy kills by Minnesota.
Time to get back into form in the next 5 game against BSU, UMD and RMU.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 12:22 PM
  #43
PuckFan01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
Wished I would have seen a better effort from my boys this weekend but to look that bad and only lose each game by one goal is ok for this time of the year.
The Huskies played hard. I think they rely so heavily on the power play that they don't look as good overall when that part of their game is mostly neutralized. But they played hard. You just have to give the other team's penalty kill credit for doing a very good job.

It is early. But no team corners the market on improving as the season goes on. A lot of teams can expect to improve from this past weekend.

PuckFan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 01:51 PM
  #44
Rabid Husky
Registered User
 
Rabid Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,860
vCash: 643
Friday they didn't play hard at all, Saturday was a better effort but still well below what they should be playing at.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 05:50 PM
  #45
PuckFan01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 671
vCash: 500
There is a difference between not playing hard and playing hard but being outperformed by the opponent. The Huskies played hard on Friday. They were just outplayed for most of the game.

PuckFan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 11:34 PM
  #46
Rabid Husky
Registered User
 
Rabid Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,860
vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckFan01 View Post
There is a difference between not playing hard and playing hard but being outperformed by the opponent. The Huskies played hard on Friday. They were just outplayed for most of the game.
No offense, but when the coach says they didn't play hard, they didn't play hard.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:24 PM
  #47
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
The WCHA looks impressive early occupying the top two spots in the polls. I think DU should be tops after exerting their will on Notre Dame and coming back from 3 goals against a team they notoriously collapse against. I guess the pollsters saw enough to be impressed with CCs wins against the mighty Alabama and Tech...no disrespect to Tech, if they had an offense they'd be a force, but.... We'll see who top dog is when The Goldpan is played in a couple weeks.

The Gophs look good so far. Good mix of veterans and a LOT of young dudes. Next weeks Border Battle will be a litmus test for them and the underachieving Badgers. The young Gophs need to handle a hostile atmosphere and WI needs to show they can get up for big games.

RabidBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:23 AM
  #48
Rabid Husky
Registered User
 
Rabid Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,860
vCash: 643
IMO, Wisco needs to shore up the D and get their goalies to steal a game. I also wonder how losing Street for at least 3 months will affect the leadership on that team.

Good news in Huskyville, Oliver Lauridsen has been cleared to play.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:38 AM
  #49
PuckFan01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
No offense, but when the coach says they didn't play hard, they didn't play hard.
I saw quotes from players (Swanson for instance) in which it was said they simply got outplayed. The reality is games are a matter of one team executing better than the other. Effort is a judgment call that is often as a psychological ploy by the coach with his team. A team can put in their usual hard work but look worse than usual because their opponent is just better that particular game (or just better in general). They simply got outskated for most of the weekend and out executed on special teams.

The better team won both games.

PuckFan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:36 PM
  #50
Rabid Husky
Registered User
 
Rabid Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,860
vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckFan01 View Post
I saw quotes from players (Swanson for instance) in which it was said they simply got outplayed. The reality is games are a matter of one team executing better than the other. Effort is a judgment call that is often as a psychological ploy by the coach with his team. A team can put in their usual hard work but look worse than usual because their opponent is just better that particular game (or just better in general). They simply got outskated for most of the weekend and out executed on special teams.

The better team won both games.
I didn't say the better team didn't win both games, but if you call what you saw on Friday "hard work" then SCSU is screwed for the entire season, not just last weekend.
You have your opinion and I have mine, not to mention that pretty much everyone I've talked to (save you) has said St. Cloud did not play hard especially in the Friday game and this includes some very hard core Gopher fans.
I give credit to MN, they kicked our butt and deserved to win.
But after watching the players on this team for the past 2-3 years, that was not a good effort and they were not working hard.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.