HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Chris Higgins is a KEEPER!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-18-2008, 04:22 PM
  #101
madbox
Registered User
 
madbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,374
vCash: 500
Dealing for a franchise player, kinda seems obvious

Aside from Koivu though, I'd probably cry like a little ***** if ever Higgins were moved. He's not a scoring superstar however he plays the complete game, even when slumping in offensive production he is invaluable in every other aspect, his heart is in it in Montreal, he wants to win here.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:44 PM
  #102
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post

However, on the defensive side....

Giveaways: 116/37
Takeaways: 58/91
Blocked Shots: 25/101
Hits: 81/111


Higgins wipes the floor with Gaborik on the defensive side and in my opinion, Chris is very underrated in his own end.
those stats are so telling. i'd rather have higgins.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:50 PM
  #103
nikrag03*
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: India
Posts: 512
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nikrag03*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Higgins is a keeper......ON PAPER. You might say "oh he has a good heart, he works hard, he's a complete player". But then I remember last year and all the hair pulling moments, all the deceptions, how disapointing he was and frankly it becomes easier when talking about trades to get a top player.
27 goals...and a very good 2 way player, i'm getting tired of this higgins hate, he's a good player, and loves Montreal. and i don't want to give up that kind of player for a guy who's made out of glass.

nikrag03* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:37 PM
  #104
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,636
vCash: 500
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikrag03 View Post
27 goals...and a very good 2 way player, i'm getting tired of this higgins hate, he's a good player, and loves Montreal. and i don't want to give up that kind of player for a guy who's made out of glass.
That and the fact that we have some many unrestricted free agents... he's a RFA.

I would far and away trade Lats before Higgins... its not even close on which is already the better player and will have a better career.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 01:44 AM
  #105
-Miikka-*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Finland
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikrag03 View Post
27 goals...and a very good 2 way player, i'm getting tired of this higgins hate, he's a good player, and loves Montreal. and i don't want to give up that kind of player for a guy who's made out of glass.

-Miikka-* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 04:14 AM
  #106
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 20,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikrag03 View Post
27 goals...and a very good 2 way player, i'm getting tired of this higgins hate, he's a good player, and loves Montreal. and i don't want to give up that kind of player for a guy who's made out of glass.
Like I said 27 goals: that looks good on paper. But if we look at all the missed plays and shots and poor decisions last year it was worst! Not only that but his line was dreadful defensively last year, teams kept scoring when Koivu and Chris were on the ice. Where is this "Higgins is a good 2 way player" comes from?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 04:33 AM
  #107
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Like I said 27 goals: that looks good on paper. But if we look at all the missed plays and shots and poor decisions last year it was worst! Not only that but his line was dreadful defensively last year, teams kept scoring when Koivu and Chris were on the ice. Where is this "Higgins is a good 2 way player" comes from?
I don't know how you came up with "dreadful" to describe a situation where Higgins had a +/- of 0 (way better than the year before).

Don't sweat the missed shots that much. Most goal scorers miss most of their shots. What counts is how many go in. Higgins was a low-1st line winger last year in goals.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 05:03 AM
  #108
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Chris Higgins is a BEE KEEPER!!!

Buzzbuzzbuzz

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 06:02 AM
  #109
RushDP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Like I said 27 goals: that looks good on paper. But if we look at all the missed plays and shots and poor decisions last year it was worst! Not only that but his line was dreadful defensively last year, teams kept scoring when Koivu and Chris were on the ice. Where is this "Higgins is a good 2 way player" comes from?
27 goals, steady improvement every year, responsible in his own end, yeah sounds like a bust to me. He is one of the best penalty killers we have ever seen and you ask where the "good two way player" comes from? The only valid point in your post is that he missed opportunities on shots but the rest is not true. He doesn't make poor decisions and is NOT dreadful defensively. At least try to support your unwarranted hate of the guy with some factual data before posting an opinion that can be picked apart so easily with minimal effort.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 06:33 AM
  #110
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Players with more shots and lower shooting percentages than Chris Higgins:

Olli Jokinen - 341 shots (10%) 34 goals
Brian Rolston - 289 shots (10.7%) 31 goals
Marian Hossa - 264 shots (11%) 29 goals
Jeff Carter - 260 shots (11.2%) 29 goals
Nikolai Zheredev - 254 shots (10.2%) 26 goals
Mikael Samuelsson - 249 shots (4.4%) 11 goals (Thought I'd also just point that out. Yeesh )
Jaromir Jagr - 249 shots (11%) 25 goals
Radim Vrbata - 246 shots (11%) 27 goals
Martin St. Louis - 241 shots (10.4%) 25 goals
Chris Higgins - 241 shots (11.2%) 27 goals

So... anyone want to again argue that Chris Higgins misses too many opportunities? Anyone want to argue he shoots too much with not enough results?

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 07:10 AM
  #111
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Players with more shots and lower shooting percentages than Chris Higgins:

Olli Jokinen - 341 shots (10%) 34 goals
Brian Rolston - 289 shots (10.7%) 31 goals
Marian Hossa - 264 shots (11%) 29 goals
Jeff Carter - 260 shots (11.2%) 29 goals
Nikolai Zheredev - 254 shots (10.2%) 26 goals
Mikael Samuelsson - 249 shots (4.4%) 11 goals (Thought I'd also just point that out. Yeesh )
Jaromir Jagr - 249 shots (11%) 25 goals
Radim Vrbata - 246 shots (11%) 27 goals
Martin St. Louis - 241 shots (10.4%) 25 goals
Chris Higgins - 241 shots (11.2%) 27 goals

So... anyone want to again argue that Chris Higgins misses too many opportunities? Anyone want to argue he shoots too much with not enough results?
Do the stats guys at the Bell Centre count shots that hit the post?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 07:18 AM
  #112
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Like I said 27 goals: that looks good on paper. But if we look at all the missed plays and shots and poor decisions last year it was worst! Not only that but his line was dreadful defensively last year, teams kept scoring when Koivu and Chris were on the ice. Where is this "Higgins is a good 2 way player" comes from?
I think he actually scored them on the ice, same placeas the rest of the guys.

Where does the 'teams kept scoring' come from ? I think the dreadful defensively part comes from 2 years ago when Koivu and Ryder had a large minus, which mainly came from when Higgins was out. He wasn't much when he came back to the line after his injury but I don't think his numbers compared to the guys playing in his absence.

When you talk disapointment, it's more personal perception, he wasn't a disapointment, you were disapointed.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 08:19 AM
  #113
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
When you talk disapointment, it's more personal perception, he wasn't a disapointment, you were disapointed.
I love you big guy.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 08:38 AM
  #114
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
I am getting sick and tired of the trade rumors involving Chris Higgins.

Canít the poor guy be left alone at once!

He supposedly had a bad season last year, but yet he potted 27 goals and with a little luck he would have scored 15 more, given all the opportunities he just missed.

Heís still young, has plenty of talent, skates like the wind, has tons of leadership, is responsible at both ends of the rink, enjoys Montreal, loves the Habs since heís young, never complains and is a great bargain at around 1.5 Million$.

With half our team going UFA at the end of the year, who in his right mind would trade a guy like this? On the contrary, he should be one of the cornerstones of our franchise for the next several years!

PS: BTW, all the above reasons are why the other teams in the league keep asking for him in any talks with the Habs!
The reasoning behind it isn't hate for higgins. It's the fact that our top 9 is pretty full. We have Pacioretty who needs to come up, latendresse who cannot be demoted to the 4th line because he's been great. There just isn't any room for higgins unless he's going to perform as the 70-80pt guy we all projected him as.

It's tough to get a spot in Montreal now is all, and I have heard rumors that Higgins is unhappy here. I don't know if that is true, but out of all of our players to me, he seems like he'd be a likely candidate for being unhappy because a lot of fans seem to be turning on him now and he's had a lot of trouble finishing in recent time.

Who knows though, he can come back, he has played really well before. It's also the fact that, the higgins/koivu/ryder line did so poorly last season and now that it's tanguay/koivu/lats they've been pwning, so the question is, do you bring higgins back and break of a line with some obvious chemistry? Or do you stick him on the 4th line where already we have 4 players cycling a spot on that line.

Bottom line, there just doesn't seem to be any room for him unless he really performs well, but other teams will know just from pryor scouting that he IS a solid player and will return to form if given a change of scenery, plus his salary is good, which when combined with a package deal makes him a sweet center peice.

Fans want us to win the cup this year and feel that if Higgins could fetch us another star defenseman or somebody who is a real game breaker, then do it. Because cups oppertunities don't just come every year, they need to be taken when you get the oppertunity. If Gainey thinks losing higgins would help us to gain a cup this year, I think he'd pull the trigger on a deal like that.

Just my thoughts on the situation but I think I'm right.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 08:56 AM
  #115
Taupy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,771
vCash: 500
If you want to win the cup, you keep Higgins. He was a warrior in the playoffs, consistent effort. Isn't it the kind of player that you win cup with?

There's room for him, and if someone in the Top 9 gets injured you still have others options.

Plekanec-Kovalev-A.Kost
Koivu-Tanguay-Latendresse
Lang-Higgins-S.Kost

Dangerous Top 9, I can't wait to see Higgins with Lang and S.Kost, Higgins probably would have 2-3 goals this year if he would be at T.Kost's place.

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 09:04 AM
  #116
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
The reasoning behind it isn't hate for higgins. It's the fact that our top 9 is pretty full. We have Pacioretty who needs to come up, latendresse who cannot be demoted to the 4th line because he's been great. There just isn't any room for higgins unless he's going to perform as the 70-80pt guy we all projected him as.
Pacioretty doesn't have to come up, he has trouble enough adapting to the AHL at this point.....His overall game is far from ready at least not this year to compete in this level.

While it's not hate, I don't mind seeing Higgins name popping up in trades idea 'cause he has actually a nice value, he's still a player we don't want to let go, but to have some you need to give some. I obviously prefer to see Higgins name than Dandenault's....

Having said that, I would have to see a guy that bleeds red white and blue being traded. Sure everybody that is playing here loves it and all, but you do have the feeling that Higgy likes it a lot here and would be devastated. He'll get over it, still as far as fan point of view, you always like to keep the guys who'll do everything for the team they like so much. I think we haven't seen his ceiling yet, so I wouldn't trade him.....again....especially for a guy so injury prone, a guy that will make our salaries go way up, a guy that if everything that is said about his demands as far as his salary his concerned, is truly desilusional and could end up being a headcase. What will it do to the chemistry....we don't know.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 09:04 AM
  #117
CH4
Registered User
 
CH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Higgins will stay in Montreal for a while, IMO (E4)

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 09:22 AM
  #118
RC51
Registered User
 
RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,578
vCash: 500
Unless Gaborik signs a long term and not overblown contract with the Habs, then Higgins is NOT going anywhere.
Rumors are still only rumors, but there is no doubt that BIG talks between the Habs and the Wild are going on and thats NOT just rumors. Leaks are coming from both sides about all this.
So what's holding things up? possibly Gainey not wanting to part with Mcdo? or is it a commitment from Gaborik to the Habs? maybe both.
Add to the mix, that the Habs would need to make some cap room and again Gainey does not want to get stiffed in that regard also.

If Gaborik wants 10 years at 10 mil per season ( a rumor) then Gainey walks for sure, in fact most teams would.

The one big fact ( elephant in the room) that is known for sure, is the Mr. Gaborik wants out of the Wild no matter what.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 09:45 AM
  #119
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Like I said 27 goals: that looks good on paper. But if we look at all the missed plays and shots and poor decisions last year it was worst! Not only that but his line was dreadful defensively last year, teams kept scoring when Koivu and Chris were on the ice. Where is this "Higgins is a good 2 way player" comes from?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think he actually scored them on the ice, same placeas the rest of the guys.

Where does the 'teams kept scoring' come from ? I think the dreadful defensively part comes from 2 years ago when Koivu and Ryder had a large minus, which mainly came from when Higgins was out. He wasn't much when he came back to the line after his injury but I don't think his numbers compared to the guys playing in his absence.

When you talk disapointment, it's more personal perception, he wasn't a disapointment, you were disapointed.
Ahh... once again the voice of reason....

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
The reasoning behind it isn't hate for higgins. It's the fact that our top 9 is pretty full. We have Pacioretty who needs to come up, latendresse who cannot be demoted to the 4th line because he's been great. There just isn't any room for higgins unless he's going to perform as the 70-80pt guy we all projected him as.
Woah, Woah, Woah.... Pacioretty has done nothing at this point in the AHL to prove he needs to be up with the team. Why are we rushing Pac... hes 19.... let him rip up the AHL and adapt to the long schedule before we say he has to be up. If you think he's gonna outperform Chris right now... I'm sorry you are sadly mistaken.

There is no room in our top 9 for Chris Higgins?? Umm Tom Kostopolous can be bumped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
It's tough to get a spot in Montreal now is all, and I have heard rumors that Higgins is unhappy here. I don't know if that is true, but out of all of our players to me, he seems like he'd be a likely candidate for being unhappy because a lot of fans seem to be turning on him now and he's had a lot of trouble finishing in recent time.
Everytime i see Chris on the ice... in practice... in pictures with the team, he has a genuine huge smile on his face... I don't buy that he's not happy in montreal. Higgins, Komi, Price and Gorges look like great friends. Higgins is an A here. We all know his feelings on the Habs organization before this. I don't buy these Higgins is unhappy rumors. I haven't seen them from any reliable source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Who knows though, he can come back, he has played really well before. It's also the fact that, the higgins/koivu/ryder line did so poorly last season and now that it's tanguay/koivu/lats they've been pwning, so the question is, do you bring higgins back and break of a line with some obvious chemistry? Or do you stick him on the 4th line where already we have 4 players cycling a spot on that line.
Ummm you replace Tom Kostopolous and bump him to the fourth line.... its pretty easy. Even if Andrei was healthy Higgins would be on the Lang line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Bottom line, there just doesn't seem to be any room for him unless he really performs well, but other teams will know just from pryor scouting that he IS a solid player and will return to form if given a change of scenery, plus his salary is good, which when combined with a package deal makes him a sweet center peice.

Fans want us to win the cup this year and feel that if Higgins could fetch us another star defenseman or somebody who is a real game breaker, then do it. Because cups oppertunities don't just come every year, they need to be taken when you get the oppertunity. If Gainey thinks losing higgins would help us to gain a cup this year, I think he'd pull the trigger on a deal like that.

Just my thoughts on the situation but I think I'm right.
Higgins is a solid player who is in form now.... why does he have to return to form?? He's never been out of form. Oh he's struggling right now with 0 pts you say?? He hasn't played a game yet.

Higgins is a guy Gainey said no to when the Hossa deal broke down... i don't think we are in a hurry to trade him.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-20-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 09:50 AM
  #120
speed11
Registered User
 
speed11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country:
Posts: 4,489
vCash: 500
i little piece of me would die if Higgins were to be traded...

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 09:52 AM
  #121
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
i little piece of me would die if Higgins were to be traded...
The weird avatar I've never understood would probably need changing.... what is that??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:35 AM
  #122
CH4
Registered User
 
CH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
The weird avatar I've never understood would probably need changing.... what is that??
dunno but it is akward.

very, very ugly.

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:38 AM
  #123
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
The weird avatar I've never understood would probably need changing.... what is that??
Master Shake.


Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:38 AM
  #124
speed11
Registered User
 
speed11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country:
Posts: 4,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
The weird avatar I've never understood would probably need changing.... what is that??
it's a character from Aqua Teen Hunger Force, only the greatest show...ever.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
dunno but it is akward.

very, very ugly.
I will slap you in public if you utter those words again...

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:52 AM
  #125
Erika
Registered User
 
Erika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ville Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulKOMInia View Post
If you want to win the cup, you keep Higgins. He was a warrior in the playoffs, consistent effort. Isn't it the kind of player that you win cup with?

There's room for him, and if someone in the Top 9 gets injured you still have others options.

Plekanec-Kovalev-A.Kost
Koivu-Tanguay-Latendresse
Lang-Higgins-S.Kost

Dangerous Top 9, I can't wait to see Higgins with Lang and S.Kost, Higgins probably would have 2-3 goals this year if he would be at T.Kost's place.

I'm sick and tired of this BS statement "Chris Higgins is a playoff performer, consistent effort and a player that you win cups with".


What did he done in his 2 playoffs appearances ?!? The guy dissapeared and had an incredible 9 points in 18 games. oouhhhh That's not what we call a playoff warrior sorry. A consistent player ?! How many times were he called out by fans on this board with threads like: Higgins needs to bury his chances, Higgins needs to wake up, What's wrong with Chris Higgins and so on !!

Higgins won't win you anything, plain and simple. Stop thinking that he's a playoff warrior or whatever, because HE IS NOT !! He is a complimentary player, boarder line 2nd line forward, good 3rd line checker, but nothing else. Higgins was place in offensive situations because we had nobody else to do the job that time. Place guys like Vanek, Nash, Heatley and Gaborik in the same situations and they would've probably scored 50 goals.

Now with the Emergence of Sergei Kostitsyn, Andrei Kostitsyn, Guillaume Latendresse, the arrival of Lang and Tanguay, Higgins will have a limited role offensively and will be place in a role that fits him better : the 3rd line grinder, who will works in the corners to get the puck, who will backcheck first in his zone and who will be able to produce from time to time.


Higgins will finish the year with around 35-45 points if he stays with the Habs, mark my words !!




Last edited by Erika: 10-20-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.