HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Visiting Chicago for 1/16/09 CHI/NYR Game...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-07-2008, 08:54 PM
  #1
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Visiting Chicago for 1/16/09 CHI/NYR Game...

I'm looking for a little help picking out a hotel to stay in during my visit to Chicago. I've never visited before and therefore don't know the layout of the city whatsoever. I'll be visiting from Thurs-Sun and I'd like to be close to the United Center but also close to some good night spots like restaurants and bars as I'll be relying upon public transportation. Also if there's anything else you recommend I must do on my visit let me know. As far as prices go I'm looking to spend anywhere from $200-400 a night for the hotel. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 09:28 PM
  #2
Sean Avery*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
I'm looking for a little help picking out a hotel to stay in during my visit to Chicago. I've never visited before and therefore don't know the layout of the city whatsoever. I'll be visiting from Thurs-Sun and I'd like to be close to the United Center but also close to some good night spots like restaurants and bars as I'll be relying upon public transportation. Also if there's anything else you recommend I must do on my visit let me know. As far as prices go I'm looking to spend anywhere from $200-400 a night for the hotel. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
There aren't any hotels RIGHT next to the United Center, mostly government housing. Just Google the address for the United Center and do an Orbitz search for hotels.

I suggest staying more near the lake (beautiful view and for the amount you're willing to spend) so you can kill time and visit Navy Pier among other things this fine city has to offer.

Sean Avery* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 10:13 PM
  #3
not dominator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 1,008
vCash: 500
Stay somewhere up in River North would be my suggestion, there isn't anything on the Westside near the UC and the Loop is dead at night. The North side of the city has all kinds of good restaurants and bars/clubs. I'd highly recommend eating some really bad for you food while here, get a Chicago Dog, Italian Beef and try some Deep Dish Pizza. If you are a museumy type guy, the Art Institute and Field Museum are really cool.

not dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 04:08 PM
  #4
Brad Gardner
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 254
vCash: 500
One possibility is the Marriott at Ashland and Harrison:

Marriott at Medical District

It would be a short cab ride to the UC (or a substantial walk) from here, as it is a little bit West of the Loop (so a little closer than the downtown area). The hotel is only a few blocks north of Taylor Street/Little Italy, where you can go to Hawkeye's and catch a $5 bus ride to the UC on game night. There is also about three blocks of other restaurants and bars on Taylor.

Of course, any hotels downtown may be a bit nicer - and cabs (or buses/trains) would get you to the UC easily. There are a million options - this is the only specific one that I can think of offhand.

Brad Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 01:09 AM
  #5
Ezflow
Registered User
 
Ezflow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
The best hotels are downtown and if you're going to pay 2-4 hundred a night should get you something pretty Good. You'd be a 10 minute bus ride at the most from the UC. The Pennisula , Knickerbocker, and the Drake Hotel Located near the Gold coast and Michigan ave. are some of the best with the Pennisula always in the running for the best Hotel service nationally every year. The Gold Coast also has a few bars there that are more for tourist but you would be a short cab ride to some of the Nightclubs on the Northside. Last Call in Chicago is at 2AM with someplaces at 4AM Sunday thru Friday and Saturdays at 5AM

Ezflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 01:42 PM
  #6
abev
HFBoards Sponsor
 
abev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,544
vCash: 500
I have done this 2 diff ways. I am not a partier so keep that in mind . I stayed at the Hotel Allegro downtown by the Clark and Lake sub station. Decent location. Easy to get OHare by train, easy to get to the UC by bus or train.

I also stayed out by OHare and took the train in. A much different experience only b/c the train ride to Med Center is quite a trip (about an hour).

I am thinking about going again this January and I probably would go back to Allegro. I like that section of Chicago.

I thought that the Club seating was a really good value at the UC <$100 both times I went. Not sure if prices went up this season.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 07:26 PM
  #7
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Thanks for all of the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I think I've decided upon the Conrad on Rush St. since it's attached to the Nordstrom/Mall and the Mag Mile seems to be close as well (the GF will be in tow). The location seems ideal as it appears most attractions will be a rather convenient cab/train/bus ride away. I'm judging all this by google maps and reviews so if I'm way off base, please let me know. Also they appear to upgrade Hilton Honor members so I'm hoping for a Terrace Suite overlooking the city!

So I have a general idea of places to visit Field Museum, Navy Pier, Mag Mile, Sears Tower; the typical tourist attractions. However what about the spots that Chicago natives enjoy. I know I have to get some deep dish and a Chicago Dog but what other plans should I make? I'd prefer to steer clear of the tourist trap bars which I've read about and really get a feel for the city. Again, thanks for all the help everyone.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 12:52 AM
  #8
Ezflow
Registered User
 
Ezflow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
Rush St is the Gold coast area I mentioned ,ya there's tourist bars in the area but it nice to have'em in case you don't wanna be that far away from the Hotel. I personally would pass on Navy Pier since its more for Kids but there is a winter wonderfest they hold there where you can ice skate (definately take your own skates though) If you wanna go to either the Sears tower or John Hancock , John Hancock offers much better views IMO.

I would also suggest the following for Steakhouses

1. Ron Of Japan on Ontario St . One of only 3 locations worldwide it is a japanese Steakhouse head and shoulders above any kind of franchises like Benihana. Ask for Beef fried rice instead of white rice and the shrimp with the secret egg yolk sauce is unreal (standard as an appetizer with most orders).

2. Gibsons on Rush St. More expensive than above but the portions are greatly exagerrated and the food is Damn good.

Ezflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 12:59 PM
  #9
not dominator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 1,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezflow View Post
Rush St is the Gold coast area I mentioned ,ya there's tourist bars in the area but it nice to have'em in case you don't wanna be that far away from the Hotel. I personally would pass on Navy Pier since its more for Kids but there is a winter wonderfest they hold there where you can ice skate (definately take your own skates though) If you wanna go to either the Sears tower or John Hancock , John Hancock offers much better views IMO.
Yeah Rush St is a bit touristy, actually I'd say its a B&T area to use a New York term. Not a big fan of Navy Pier either, never been there during the winter though. I'd also agree on the Hancock, its closer to where you are staying so thats a bonus. You may even try eating at the Signature room up at the top, the food is supposed to be pretty good and a similar view...

not dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 01:26 PM
  #10
ACHA God
 
ACHA God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Take your woman to the Signature Room in the John Hancock Building. It's on the 95th floor and features breathtaking views of the city. It's open until 2 am on weekends. The Hancock building, by the way, is on the north end of the Magnificent Mile.

Ron of Japan is good, but you have to sit with strangers, which i don't like. I also don't think of it as a nice restaurant, but more of a comfort food place.

Chicago Chop House is very good. Ditka's is good, too.

If you like sushi, Japonais is your spot.

If you are looking for a good place to hang out before or after the game near the United Center, check out the Billy Goat. It will be packed with people in Hawks gear. A little farther down the road but much more upscale is West End Tavern. Lots of fans sure to be there as well.

Although it's now closed and has been for some time, Cheli's Chili Bar still has its awning in front, a nice reminder of the Hawks' yesteryear.

ACHA God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 08:25 PM
  #11
BLUJKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Here's some help. I went to a game last night and from Columbus, so I was actually thinking of taking a taxi. BUT, the #20 bus takes you right to United Center and can be picked up along Madison. I stayed at the Hampton (theater district) and it was too easy. They also have the #19 that starts along Michigan Ave and takes you directly to the UC. Had a great time at the game, great game ops and Hawks posted their first victory of the season. Hope this helps and have a great time!

BLUJKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 10:45 AM
  #12
rinkrat22
Registered User
 
rinkrat22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 569
vCash: 500
you MUST visit the billy goat tavern. think Saturday Night live 1970's. bill murray and john belushi. It is part of the experience. east of the UC on madison. drink the house beer and get a double cheezebooger. get there about 11/2 hrs before the game.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 09:47 AM
  #13
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gardner View Post
One possibility is the Marriott at Ashland and Harrison:
Marriott at Medical District

It would be a short cab ride to the UC (or a substantial walk) from here, as it is a little bit West of the Loop (so a little closer than the downtown area). The hotel is only a few blocks north of Taylor Street/Little Italy, where you can go to Hawkeye's and catch a $5 bus ride to the UC on game night. There is also about three blocks of other restaurants and bars on Taylor.

Of course, any hotels downtown may be a bit nicer - and cabs (or buses/trains) would get you to the UC easily. There are a million options - this is the only specific one that I can think of offhand.
Ditto. A lot of people forget about that little, but very nice hotel. And Little Italy is not too far, you just have to get past a funky stretch along Taylor Street that splits the two main sections along Taylor. But some very nice restaurants (I recommend Tuscany) and an awesome Italian deli called Conte d' Savoie.

Otherwise, you can go a different route and find a hotel along Madison Ave., like the Crowne Plaza at Halsted and Madison. That's a good spot to be in because it's in Greektown with some awesome restaurants (I recommend Venus, a Cypriot joint), grubby, 24-hour diners and a 24-hour grocery store at street level. And the #20 Madison bus is right there. Have fun and DO NOT GO PAST THE UNITED CENTER.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:02 AM
  #14
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Thanks for all of the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I think I've decided upon the Conrad on Rush St. since it's attached to the Nordstrom/Mall and the Mag Mile seems to be close as well (the GF will be in tow). The location seems ideal as it appears most attractions will be a rather convenient cab/train/bus ride away. I'm judging all this by google maps and reviews so if I'm way off base, please let me know. Also they appear to upgrade Hilton Honor members so I'm hoping for a Terrace Suite overlooking the city!

So I have a general idea of places to visit Field Museum, Navy Pier, Mag Mile, Sears Tower; the typical tourist attractions. However what about the spots that Chicago natives enjoy. I know I have to get some deep dish and a Chicago Dog but what other plans should I make? I'd prefer to steer clear of the tourist trap bars which I've read about and really get a feel for the city. Again, thanks for all the help everyone.
Then forget the Mag Mile. It is jam-packed with tourists. And Navy Pier? It'll be cold as hell by that time and Navy Pier is no fun when you've got snot sickles tickling your lips. Michigan and the adjacent Rush-party-town-Gold Coast is very nice. Whoever mentioned Gibson's is right on. If you want an authentic Chicago experience, then you have to come when you have more time and something else to do besides a hockey game. You have to get away from the lake and go deep into the city and into the neighborhoods.


Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 10-20-2008 at 10:22 AM.
ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.