HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik Rumor Thread Part II

Old
10-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Shabutie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
Ottawa Sun
Bruce Garrioch = Worse than Eklund....

I wouldn't take anything the sun writes seriously...

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:17 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDood View Post
Let's say we get the guy, being injured, his salary does not count, gives Bob the time to free up money.. Yeah, he might not even be injured actually, part of the plot
It doesn't count if you are injured on long term IR...Not if you are day-to-day.

Graboriks injuries are always day-to-day groin injuries. When you're put on LTIR you have to miss a minimum amount of time.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:34 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
It doesn't count if you are injured on long term IR...Not if you are day-to-day.

Graboriks injuries are always day-to-day groin injuries. When you're put on LTIR you have to miss a minimum amount of time.
As much as I would like to see Gaborik in a Habs uniform, as much as I would hate ****ing up with the team chemistry and salary structure right now.

Right now, the team doesn't need another player with offensive talent. Our top 9 is just fine (with Higgins back and Kosto on the fourth). + the team doesn't have any real cap space to accomodate him unless you send back to Minny at least one big salary.

Let's wait until next July and see which UFA we gonna keep, and which one would be intersted to play in Montreal. If gaborik is still available, why not ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 03:33 PM
yvan74

1- I don't want to loose Halak! He's a very good safety net every contender should have in case we loose Price! It would be sad to get so far and get eliminated because of poor goaltending(with price injured)! Marc Denis COULD NOT HANDLE a starting job if given to him! so why take a chance on such an important piece of the puzzle! HE AS NEVER been a good goalie ever since they change the pad size like 5 years ago, he was never able adjust!

2-Gaborik is the Groin injury master! He is always injured! Last year he only missed few games because of this but the previous years were bad! We are taking a chance on a guy that might miss 40% of the rest of the games! He is as we speaks injured!

3-I was counting on Higins for 60-65 points this year! He is on his 4rth "breakout " year so he should be producing a lot more this year!

Gaborik for Higins? I would take Gaborik for the extra punch he can bring to the attack! He has tremendous speed and sure can put a puck in the net!

but would this guy cost us too much? I would say if we are going all IN, then he's our guy!

yvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
+1 for Jay Bo.

Our top 4 would be the best in the NHL.

This is one rental I would live with.
O'Byrne
+
one of Valentenko, Emelin, Weber, Carle, Fischer
+
one of D'agostini or Ryan White
+
1st

for Jay Bo

at the deadline.... can't afford to get him now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDood View Post
Let's say we get the guy, being injured, his salary does not count, gives Bob the time to free up money.. Yeah, he might not even be injured actually, part of the plot
His salary does count..... only if you go on long term IR (3 months or more) does it not count.

IR and Long-term IR are different.... like the 15day DL and 60 day DL in baseball

------------------------------------------

As for Gaborik... I think he really wants to cash in on this one... only takes one crazy GM and he might get that 10yr 100mill package.... He won't in Montreal though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
There is nothing wrong with having him as a rental , especially with all those young defensemen coming through.
Agreed... I hate the idea of a rental forward... love the idea of a rental on D.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Agreed... I hate the idea of a rental forward... love the idea of a rental on D.
But bottom line, it all depends on who/what we have to give up.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 07:02 PM
PolishHab21

from http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/261919.html

carbo said:''Si on cessait de parler de Gaborik, le nom de Higgins ne ferait pas surface, a fait valoir Carbonneau.''

wich means that if they are talking about getting Gaborik, They wont mention Higgins name

PolishHab21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishHab21 View Post
from http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/261919.html

carbo said:''Si on cessait de parler de Gaborik, le nom de Higgins ne ferait pas surface, a fait valoir Carbonneau.''

wich means that if they are talking about getting Gaborik, They wont mention Higgins name
That's not really how i understand it. Feels more like he's saying that we wouldn't be mentioning higgins' name in a trade if it weren't about trading for gaborik.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 01:08 AM
Beakermania*

Read Russo's Blog on the Wild...

I found this quote interesting:
I know for a fact that Wild Director of Pro Scouting Blair Mackasey attended tonight’s Canadiens game, but that probably means little. First of all, I don’t think Higgins played due to a groiner, and obviously McDonagh didn’t play. And Mackasey lives in Montreal, so this was not exactly abnormal.

Source here: http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/...borik-chatter/

Hes got other stuff to say about the Gaborik situation too

Old
10-20-2008, 03:22 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
And if Gaborik signs, who walks? Tanguay, Kovalev.. Koivu? One of them walks. Who? Tell me which one, and why.
Good point. And i'm of the opinion that we should keep these three. If Kovy leaves, people will riot. And Koivu has been reenergized with Tanguay coming in. We cannot aford losing either of them. And I like Lang too!

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
And if Gaborik signs, who walks? Tanguay, Kovalev.. Koivu? One of them walks. Who? Tell me which one, and why.
Actually the question is who stays.... at 8million for Gaborik we can probably only afford one of the three....

Old
10-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Something is definately up....Higgins not playing, Chipchura was just called up....

From CKAC and RDS

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/261946.html

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

new phrase...Higgins, Halak and a 1st.

Aarrgh here we go again, as if the Ryder, Halak and a 1st weren't tiresome enough

I seriously doubt Gainey goes after a forward this season, if anything it will be a Defenceman.

Besides, Gaborik is asking for too much for a guy whose never won a hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Something is definately up....Higgins not playing, Chipchura was just called up....

From CKAC and RDS

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/261946.html
Its called a Concussion...Big **** suffered one last game OMG I can't type that word lol

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:09 AM
JackieChan

Whitesnake, Therriault (CKAC) also mentionned that Higgins did not practice with the team, and was not seen at the Bell Center yet today.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:10 AM
habs_fan_73

Very strange indeed... Maybe he just aggravated his injury...
Or he is packing for Minny...
Time will tell...

habs_fan_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Actually the question is who stays.... at 8million for Gaborik we can probably only afford one of the three....
With Gaborik, i believe we could still keep 2 of them. No Gaborik, and i do believe we could squeeze in all 3. This based on the following assumptions:

1) Lang goes. Replaced by Chipchura or Maxwell.
2) Higgins and Plekanec get AK type money (roughly 3 million each)
3) Dandeneault, Bouillon, Begin and Brisebois go. Replaced by Stewart, D'Agostini/Pacioretty, Weber/Emelin/Valentenko.
4) Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay all get nominal raises. (Koivu stays around $4.75, Tanguay and Kovalev around $5.5)
5) Komisarek gets 5 million.

If this happens, then given the current situation i believe we can fit this in the cap, assuming the cap doesn't go down.

Based on my numbers we could be looking at the following for next year:

Alex Tanguay-Saku Koivu-Guillaume Latendresse
Andrei Kostitsyn-Tomas Plekanec-Alex Kovalev
Max Pacioretty-Chris Higgins-Sergei Kostitsyn
Maxim Lapierre-Kyle Chipchura-Georges Laraque
Kostopolous, Stewart

Andrei Markov-Mike Komisarek
Roman Hamrlik-Ryan O'Byrne
Emelin/Valentenko/Weber-Gorges

Carey Price
Jaroslav Halak

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
With Gaborik, i believe we could still keep 2 of them. No Gaborik, and i do believe we could squeeze in all 3. This based on the following assumptions:

1) Lang goes. Replaced by Chipchura or Maxwell.
2) Higgins and Plekanec get AK type money (roughly 3 million each)
3) Dandeneault, Bouillon, Begin and Brisebois go. Replaced by Stewart, D'Agostini/Pacioretty, Weber/Emelin/Valentenko.
4) Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay all get nominal raises. (Koivu stays around $4.75, Tanguay and Kovalev around $5.5)
5) Komisarek gets 5 million.

If this happens, then given the current situation i believe we can fit this in the cap, assuming the cap doesn't go down.

Based on my numbers we could be looking at the following for next year:

Alex Tanguay-Saku Koivu-Guillaume Latendresse
Andrei Kostitsyn-Tomas Plekanec-Alex Kovalev
Max Pacioretty-Chris Higgins-Sergei Kostitsyn
Maxim Lapierre-Kyle Chipchura-Georges Laraque
Kostopolous, Stewart

Andrei Markov-Mike Komisarek
Roman Hamrlik-Ryan O'Byrne
Emelin/Valentenko/Weber-Gorges

Carey Price
Jaroslav Halak
yeah you can keep all three right now.... but you are very close to the cap and some of those numbers are a little low.... now Gaborik has turned down 8 and 8.5... and is rumored to be looking for 10. He throws your whole salary structure out of whack and if you sign him for say 8 (which is on the low side of what he is looking for) you are gonna have a harder time getting guys to take those hometown discounts.

Old
10-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
yeah you can keep all three right now.... but you are very close to the cap and some of those numbers are a little low.... now Gaborik has turned down 8 and 8.5... and is rumored to be looking for 10. He throws your whole salary structure out of whack and if you sign him for say 8 (which is on the low side of what he is looking for) you are gonna have a harder time getting guys to take those hometown discounts.
Which numbers are low? The RFA's or UFA's?

Oh if we deal for Gaborik then obviously one of Kovalev or Tanguay does not come back. That is for sure. So the tradeoff for next year is likely Higgins + Kovalev for Gaborik. Tanguay's age likely makes him the better longterm investment.

Either way we are getting pretty close to have some tough decisions to make.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Begin had the flu yesterday...so if he can't go, they are short a forward so they had to call a guy up. I don't read this as something IS up.

Chipchura being called up proves Gainey is no liar. ''If we could keep 24 players up, Chipchura would be a Hab'' - Last Friday on the Dogs intermission radio broadcast. He's ahead of Max Pac and D'Ago on the call up depth chart.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:24 AM
RC51

So why can't it be Koivu that is gone?
He could then simply go play with his brother.
Gainey can find some help at center over the summer.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
So why can't it be Koivu that is gone?
He could then simply go play with his brother.
Gainey can find some help at center over the summer.
Because it makes zero sense other than the brother angle.

Teams thinking about a cup run don't deal their captain.

The Habs WANT 3 offensive lines, they can't deal their #2 center without getting a center back!

The wild won't want a UFA to be.

Oh and Koivu has a NTC.

Old
10-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Begin had the flu yesterday...so if he can't go, they are short a forward so they had to call a guy up. I don't read this as something IS up.

Chipchura being called up proves Gainey is no liar. ''If we could keep 24 players up, Chipchura would be a Hab'' - Last Friday on the Dogs intermission radio broadcast. He's ahead of Max Pac and D'Ago on the call up depth chart.
But yesterday, Carbo kinda officially put Higgins in the lineup naming him part of the Lang line. Even with Bégin down, you still have a 4th of Laraque-Lapierre-Dandenault. So Chip is brought up to practice with the team all week just to be part of it.....or is Lapierre in a deal as well.....

Unless Higgins is still not ready......so Sergei on the Pleks line and Dandenault now on the Lang line with Chipchura centering the 4th??? Why wouldn't they call D'Agostini instead and let him play with Lang?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:27 AM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Because it makes zero sense.

Teams thinking about a cup run don't deal their captain.

The wild won't want a UFA to be.

Oh and Koivu has a NTC.
No No, not right now.
Next summer if the habs do get Gaborik then someone of the current team can't come back. Koivu? or Kovalev? or Tanguay?

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

Oh ok. I thought you meant ''trade Koivu instead of Higgins because his brother is in Minny!111111!!!!''

my point still kind of remains though...they want 3 offensive lines...Koivu is a must keep with only Maxwell as an offensive center prospect.

Wonder what tonight's lines will be if Begin is out with the flu too. I'd guess:

S. Kost - Pleky - Kovy
Lats - Koivu - Tangs
Kosto - Lang - Dandy
Lappy - Chippy - BGL

Old
10-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Which numbers are low? The RFA's or UFA's?

Oh if we deal for Gaborik then obviously one of Kovalev or Tanguay does not come back. That is for sure. So the tradeoff for next year is likely Higgins + Kovalev for Gaborik. Tanguay's age likely makes him the better longterm investment.

Either way we are getting pretty close to have some tough decisions to make.
both the RFAs and UFAs are taking slight discounts. You can probably convince them to take these discounts when you can compare to Markov as the highet paid player on the team. When you are comparing to someone at 8million plus, they will be less likely to do so IMO.

Anyways my calcs are that for us to keep all three... Koivu, Tang, Kovy we need to be in at around 17million for the three.... When you talk about 8.5 million for Gaborik that means that you need to get two on board for 8.5.... changing Higgins to MaxPac gives you an extra 1.5; that takes you to 10. Good luck getting two of Koivu, Tang, Kovy to agree to 5 million each.

I've got Koivu at 5, the wingers at 6 each, and us keeping all three....

With Gaborik you are losing two by my count.